Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 276 of 366 1 2 274 275 276 277 278 365 366
#4562859 - 04/07/21 05:39 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Hey TKB....great, you have joined! Now stay alive. From now on Grimreaper IS your Copilot! Best of luck!

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4562860 - 04/07/21 05:59 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

LtCasey, I'm confident I won't find any daring Camel pilot flying over Koln, unless...

#4562861 - 04/07/21 07:16 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Believe me, death comes quick even in Köln. You know what Kills Most pilots?
Fences...yes fences!

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4562863 - 04/07/21 08:37 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Oh I know that too well. The presence of fences at Koln's airfield seem nonexistent, as far as I've explored.

#4562894 - 04/07/21 12:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
#%&*$# it!!! and he was doing so well.

2nd Lieutenant James Harrison, DSC
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
7th April 1918

7 confirmed kills

Jimmy was finishing getting ready to head off for breakfast. He looked out of the small dusty window at the rain hitting the hangers.

Just at that moment the airfield alarm sounded. Incoming aircraft were approaching the airfield.

Jimmy grabbed his flying jacket, hat and gloves and ran out towards where 'B' flight's aircraft were lined up.

Anti aircraft guns had started pounding and ground crew ran for cover.

Jimmy shouted at some of the ground crew to start his aircraft which was fueled and ready like the rest of 'B'flight.

Within a few minutes he was airborne. He looked up and could see the enemy bombers above the airfield as he climbed like hell to get upto them.

Bombs started pounding the airfield as Jimmy glanced down. He now saw what he was up against, three Rumplers in good formation and now turning to head for home.

Jimmy came up behind the middle Rumpler and hit him with a good burst. He nosed under the Rumplers and came around again. As he came in for his second pass he was about to open fire when one Rumpler broke left and the other to the right.

He started taking hits from the leftmost Rumpler and was about to roll away when he realised he'd lost control to the right side. He tried to correct it but it wouldn't level out.

He throttled back and spiralled down, could he flatten out enough to get down ok?

He had to keep the throttle up as otherwise he was going to stall so as he came towards the ground he was going too quickly......as he landed the angle was too much and the nose of the SPAD dug in and the aircraft flipped over.............

Jimmy was pulled out of the wreckage but never regained consciousness.

That evening Major Thaw sat in his office...........'It is with the deepest regret........' he started to write.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4562897 - 04/07/21 01:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Albert, big Salute for Jimmy, another promising soul cut down by this war.

#4562902 - 04/07/21 01:27 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Albert - Oh bloody hell! Jimmy we hardly knew ye. Another great character gone. Those Rumpler Kettes are very, very nasty. Need 4 or 5 wingmen to take them down. So very sorry.

It's a bit early in the day but duty calls.

I stand to my glass steady...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by epower; 04/07/21 01:28 PM.
#4562924 - 04/07/21 03:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Albert - Nooooo! Jimmy we hardly knew ye indeed. Another gut punch, sorry to see your man fall, and so soon too. He was a good chap.

Trustworthykebab - What a fine introduction to young Helmut. Here’s hoping his training goes well and no errant fences claim him. And also hoping he is given a strong Jasta to serve with.

Casey - Death comes quick everywhere in this bloody war, no doubt about that.

Fullofit - Rain does seem to be the prevailing theme these last few days. So then, with all his sock work done, just what is Rudi up to?

Epower - Nice to see someone has managed a couple of sorties between the storms. 122 now for our Oliver? The man’s a legend!

7 April 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Bertangles, France

“By Jove, this is top hole compared to the last hovel, eh Coles? Just look, no more canvas!”
Captain Frederick Abbott was grinning from ear-to-ear as he strode about what was to be his new accommodations in the forward quadrant of the Nissen hut.

“Yes Sir, very nice, and if I may I shall secure your kit immediately and get to work setting the place in order for you.” Corporal Nigel Coles had been acting as the Captain’s batman for the last month, Major Cunningham having assigned him the position shortly after the fellow arrived at the squadron when it was stationed at Poperinge. A trim, fair haired man in his late-twenties, he walked with an odd gait due to the two inch built-up sole on his left shoe which compensated for the deficient leg on that side, a condition he’d been born with but which did not seem to slow him down one bit. He was a quick study and good at nearly any job given him. And, after four moves in as many weeks, (and their associated teardowns and set-ups), the fellow knew full well how Captain Abbott liked things arranged.

“You are a godsend, Coles. Have at it my good man!”, Freddy beamed. “I’m going to locate the mess and see about a hot cuppa and a bite to eat.”

“Very good Sir, I shall have things shipshape for you upon your return”, the Corporal replied in like cheery fashion as he turned to the task at hand.

Abbott was in a particularly fine mood today considering his lack of sleep, having bounced along in the back of a staff car while most civilized people were slumbering in their beds. It was now an hour or so past sunrise; the squadron had caravanned in the rain most of the night along the thirty plus miles of mired, rutted roads from Conteville down to their new digs. Everyone from the lowliest AM to the CO, hoped, indeed prayed, this would be their last move for a good long while. And Bertangles looked a fine place to be for that while, even in the dud weather currently draping the place. Yes indeed, this was a proper aerodrome, with two well-groomed fields, and accommodations and support buildings galore for men and machines alike. And the front was barely ten miles off, so no more of those long flights just to get where you needed to be to even begin your work. Bertangles would do quite nicely, thank you very much.

#4562930 - 04/07/21 03:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Albert Tross]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by Albert Tross
#%&*$# it!!! and he was doing so well.

2nd Lieutenant James Harrison, DSC
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
7th April 1918

7 confirmed kills

Jimmy was finishing getting ready to head off for breakfast. He looked out of the small dusty window at the rain hitting the hangers.

Just at that moment the airfield alarm sounded. Incoming aircraft were approaching the airfield.

Jimmy grabbed his flying jacket, hat and gloves and ran out towards where 'B' flight's aircraft were lined up.

Anti aircraft guns had started pounding and ground crew ran for cover.

Jimmy shouted at some of the ground crew to start his aircraft which was fueled and ready like the rest of 'B'flight.

Within a few minutes he was airborne. He looked up and could see the enemy bombers above the airfield as he climbed like hell to get upto them.

Bombs started pounding the airfield as Jimmy glanced down. He now saw what he was up against, three Rumplers in good formation and now turning to head for home.

Jimmy came up behind the middle Rumpler and hit him with a good burst. He nosed under the Rumplers and came around again. As he came in for his second pass he was about to open fire when one Rumpler broke left and the other to the right.

He started taking hits from the leftmost Rumpler and was about to roll away when he realised he'd lost control to the right side. He tried to correct it but it wouldn't level out.

He throttled back and spiralled down, could he flatten out enough to get down ok?

He had to keep the throttle up as otherwise he was going to stall so as he came towards the ground he was going too quickly......as he landed the angle was too much and the nose of the SPAD dug in and the aircraft flipped over.............

Jimmy was pulled out of the wreckage but never regained consciousness.

That evening Major Thaw sat in his office...........'It is with the deepest regret........' he started to write.

We raise our glass again for remenberance to a daring Ace! Fly Well Jimmy!

#4562980 - 04/07/21 06:26 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

A housekeeping note for those of you upgrading to BHaH2. Careers appear to be fully transferable using Robert Wiggins' "User Files Backup Utility."

edit - Additional housekeeping note: using the old WOFFkeys.xca file backed up by the utility prevented access to the new Lewis gun lower, raise and reload commands. When I removed that from Appdata/Roaming/OBD_Games/OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder and restarted the game, the game engine regenerated a fresh WOFFKeys.xca file and I could now see the new options in workshop key commands. Now I gotta reconfigure my controllers. Oh well.

Last edited by epower; 04/07/21 07:29 PM.
#4562994 - 04/07/21 06:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Thanks for the commiserations everyone. I've landed many a time with damaged controls and been ok but because I'd already quarter rolled before I lost control I couldn't really get level again and then when I tried to throttle back it got worse so had to land (or crash as it turned out) at quite a pace.

I've already contacted Raine about my next DID jaunt and I'll announce it in a bit.

Epower - Well done on Winningstad's two seater confirmation and lovely dawn patrol picture. Thanks for the info on swapping the pilots over to BHAH II too.

TWK - Good luck with Kadett Mitteleuer, Koln is lovely, well it is now, so hopefully it was good in 1918 as well. Enjoy a glass of Kölsch.

Lou - So Freddy is enjoying the 'comforts' of Bertangles compared to the Boy Scout camp of Conteville, i'm not surprised. Yes the moving must stop and a stand made, for the sake of the poor batmen if nothing else.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4563014 - 04/07/21 07:55 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory
1 pending

April 7, 1918.

Just got to the field in the late afternoon, The Hauptmann assigned a used hand me down Jasta 40 machine. I took it up for a test flight she seems ok floats in the turns, Motor seems OK more power than the last D IIIa. Will tighten the flying wires and check Guns tonight. He did mention that Newer machines are in the Pipeline.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-07 12-41-22-04.jpgCFS3 2021-04-07 12-41-04-17.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/07/21 07:57 PM.
#4563035 - 04/07/21 09:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
So let's try again......

Introducing Flugmeister Jacob Bertram Kühn of Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1.

Jacob was born in 1888 in Hamburg. He's been in the German navy since before the war and has served on various vessels, however with the inactivity of the German surface fleet, Jacob is desperate to get involved more. The final straw is when he's posted to an office at a naval training station.

He managed to get a transfer to the Marine Landflieger in 1917 and passes his pilot training easily. He was kept on as a trainer for a few months but manages to swing a move to the MFJ1 in early April 1918.

This is his story......

Last edited by Albert Tross; 04/08/21 10:08 AM. Reason: Changed rank to what's in the rules

#4563043 - 04/07/21 10:06 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

I may have accidentally deleted the pilot backup while clearing for BHAHII, so I'll just begin again with Kadett Mittelheuer as nothing has yet happened smile

#4563044 - 04/07/21 10:13 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Albert Tross]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by Albert Tross
So let's try again......

Introducing Vizeflugmeister Jacob Bertram Kühn of Marine-Feld-Jagdstaffel 1.

Jacob was born in 1888 in Hamburg. He's been in the German navy since before the war and has served on various vessels, however with the inactivity of the German surface fleet, Jacob is desperate to get involved more. The final straw is when he's posted to an office at a naval training station.

He managed to get a transfer to the Marine Landflieger in 1917 and passes his pilot training easily. He was kept on as a trainer for a few months but manages to swing a move to the MFJ1 in early April 1918.

This is his story......

Na, denn man tau...alter Seebär! Viel Glück!🍀

#4563057 - 04/07/21 11:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Welp, now that BH&H2 is here and I'm a happy owner of it, I've sent a message to Raine. Here goes something!

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4563060 - 04/08/21 12:08 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

NR - Excellent news. Come and get some!

#4563067 - 04/08/21 01:11 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Kebab, solid effort from Kadett Mitteleuer. He did luck out with that DFC instead of the Aviatik. Looking forward to seeing him loop the plane. Now get some sleep, I can see your hands still shaking from excitement. A little of Schnapps should help you there.

Epower, I could say the same thing. Why is Oliver flying while everyone else is grounded? Something we don’t know about?
That Dingbat, he’s off his rocker! Poaching Wininngstadt’s kills. Someone needs to teach him a lesson.
And Oliver continues his meteoric rise. 121 so far and still counting. Congrats!

Albert, what did I tell you? “Lay low for a while.” The Gong Fairy is vicious recently. She even sent two of her most potent medals Lou’s way. Two in a row. I don’t have high hopes for that lad.
Well, learn from your experience. Ruminate, brood and come out stronger. Ready for another fight? Look at it this way. It was just in time to start a new pilot in BHaH2 without the headaches of migrating your pilot.

Lou, indeed the weather threw us for a loop. Perhaps with not being to fly for a couple of days and then switching to BHaH2, the contrast will be even greater? We’ll soon find out.
As to Rudi’s socks ... mittens are now on his list since all his socks are in order. It’s like knitting socks with a separate toe.
Oh dear! A personal valet for Captain Abbott. I shudder to think what this man will have to do at his master’s bidding. But beware, remember what happened last time a manservant was introduced to one of your pilots. Let’s hope Freddy will have enough time to enjoy Bertangles before anything should befall him.

Albert, a hearty willkommen to Herr Kühn. Let’s hope he doesn’t earn any medals anytime soon.

NotRelevant, you’ve promised! You’ve promised!

7 April, 1918 13:50
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
71 confirmed kills

The weather finally improved to send out a patrol in the afternoon. Their objective was to patrol enemy front lines near Mondidier. On their way to the front the Schwarm encountered a flight of frisky Strutters and engaged them. Rudi was attacked immediately and Was hit in the wing. In return he latched on to one of the Strutters and brought the devil down near Harbonnieres. With all machines shot up the Schwarm returned quickly back home.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4563072 - 04/08/21 01:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Fullofit]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Fullofit, I've promised indeed and now I'm doing it! Who knows, maybe I'll luck out and not die on the first few flights.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4563078 - 04/08/21 01:45 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
That’s what DID is all about. Dissociative Identity Disorder. Oh wait, that’s not right, or is it?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Page 276 of 366 1 2 274 275 276 277 278 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics