Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 273 of 366 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 365 366
#4562384 - 04/03/21 09:03 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, ain’t that the truth. Rudi lives one day at a time, one load of ammunition at a time. winkngrin
Don’t you just hate it when the first warning of approaching enemy bombers is an exploding hangar? The forward observers aren’t earning their pay, and that goes for both sides.
It looked like Jimmy would come back from the mission empty handed were it not for that “lost” Albatros. Good job helping him find his way. Looking forward to General Pershing’s visit tomorrow.

Lou, you are right - the one you engage initially seems to be the most fun. By the time you get to the next, he’d already had his fun and now wants to go home. That’s when the straight and level kills occur. Let’s wait and see. We’ve been promised this won’t occur so often in the new WoFF incarnation. I hope our claims will then be reduced to more realistic levels.

3 April, 1918 15:35 afternoon mission
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
67 confirmed kills
Awaiting four claim confirmations

The orders for this afternoon were clear: patrol enemy front lines east of Amiens, between Montdidier and Corbie.
Rudi was leading the pack and when getting close to their patrol area he noticed the last two Fokkers at the back were doing something odd. He thought they were clowning around and was about to do something about it when he saw Göttsch break right and then everyone else started to follow him. Rudi went after them as well and just in time to see a SPAD approaching from behind. They tangled. Those Englanders were skilled. Even in a SPAD they were a formidable target. Göttsch got in the way at some point. In the end the biplane was damaged sufficiently to start dropping like a rock. Fuchs lost him from view when the enemy machine blended with the mud below. He saw Göttsch dive after the SPAD. Rudi sent his best wishes to his C.O. on his hunt.

YouTube Link

He then noticed a string of SPADs moving west through the thickest clouds. Fuchs followed and ended up near Amiens, across the lines, over enemy airfield. He zeroed in on the closest enemy plane and reeled him in. A fusillade of fire rendered the SPAD useless in the air and it zoomed down to crash into the ground below. Rudi was unable to follow, such was the speed of the falling enemy plane.

YouTube Link

He soon caught another SPAD napping and approached it in the similar fashion to the last one. The assault from behind was murderous and this SPAD also dropped to the ground like a rock in similarly lightning-quick way as before. Fuchs’ Dreidecker was unable to follow and it was unclear what became of the enemy plane. He hoped nothing more than a collection of matchsticks and a ball of wire.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4562388 - 04/03/21 09:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Don't know if I'm allowed to write here something that's not a combat report, but I just read through more deeply into this DiD campaign. Man it looks amazing! I'll wait the next one to enlist though, I like going through it from the very beginning.

#4562394 - 04/03/21 10:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Jump on in and Welcome.

#4562396 - 04/03/21 10:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory

April 3, 1918. Security Patrol spotted a attacked 4 French types ? My descending turn was far too wide so lost the speed advantage. turning in more circles didn't help, I fired and got hits ? then he dove and Ran for home. I couldn't catch up to him. Score 1 e/a destroyed no losses.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-03 15-42-13-67.jpg
#4562399 - 04/03/21 11:50 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
t-bab, if you’ve browsed through these pages you will know there are things written here that should not have been written anywhere, so you are welcome to write whatever you like, within a reason of course and knowing us - the barmiest of the barmy - reason is a broad concept to us.
Why not join us now? I expect you are not the most patient of men, or maybe you are, I don’t know, but wait until November to finish this round, then wait more until someone decides to run another series, who knows when. That has to stretch anyone’s patience pretty thin. And who knows? There may not even be another career. Nothing is for certain, what is certain is that you will be chomping at the bit and kicking yourself for not joining sooner. I could be totally wrong, consider this a dry run before the next DiD extravaganza, try it and if you don’t like it, you can always drop out and pretend like you don’t even know us. You know you want to.
Man, I should get a recruitment medal.

#4562400 - 04/04/21 12:06 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Lou - Nothing in the game brings home the Homeric "terror of fighting" like a trench strafe.

"I know how to tread my measures on the grim floor of the war god."

C5333's canvas shouted like a drum and that pic of Freddy's perforated tail was chilling. I reread the Cambrai portions of 'No Parachute' to get in the proper frame of mind. Yeates also has some great chapters on ground attack. I vividly recall the scene in Winged Victory where Cundall's fire-eating new Flight Commander "doesn't get away with it" and his wings fold up. Other than pulling the wings off a Pup two days in a row, I've not been so frightened in the DID as I was during these recent ground attacks. "All risks to be taken." Immersion has its drawbacks but it was the RFC's turn to face the guns just like the PBI. Glad Oliver's pal Freddy survived the latest phase of the battle. Let's hope we don't have to do that again anytime soon.

Fullofit - Dish towels aligned on edge... Genius! Why on earth didn't I think of that? Excellent news that Rudi's unmentionables drawer remains in good order, per the Book of Instructions.
Four Camels! Rudi's meteoric rise continues unabated with these latest four. Did Göttsch bag Rudi's stray SPAD? I'm not sure how I feel about a kill-poaching commanding officer...
Concur regarding hopes for the BHaH2 AI improvements. Also the goggle effect. Today's mission would have been even more challenging with water spraying across the goggles.

Albert - John Joseph Pershing himself?! Jimmy will be in the limelight now. Excellent work sending that Alb to the house of the death god. Very well done pics. Oliver sympathizes regarding the unfortunate lack of eyewitnesses. C'est la guerre. You know you shot him. He knows you shot him. A grateful France, and perhaps les mademoiselles Francaise, must suffice as reward.

trustworthykebab - welcome! Come on in, the water is deep but exhilarating. You won't regret it.

Carrick - Another one escaped your clutches?! Hang in there, the DVII cometh!

Lt. Casey - What news of young Arnold? Are his fingers raw from peeling so many potatoes?

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 66

3 April 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France

9.30 Offensive patrol over the Amiens salient. Weather grey with intermittent rain squalls. Visibility marginal. I led B-Flight with Johnson, Harry Brown, B-P and Clear. The cloud ceiling was down to 6000 feet so we went in low. Archie yapped as we crossed the lines.

[Linked Image]
Near Cappy, yellow-nosed Albatri burst out of the clouds. I barrel rolled to the right just in time.

The attack scattered B-Flight. Difficult to track the enemy in the grey skies. The rain clouded the Aldis sight. I landed a short burst, lost sight for a time, then found his yellow tail against the grey clouds and hit him with a half second snap shot. He broke hard and dove. I lost him again.

Circling as I looked for the elusive Hun, I spotted a bright silver Pfalz down at 300 feet. I could see no other aircraft about so I dropped down and gave him a burst. The Pfalz slid hard to the right, spun twice, then went straight in. All too easy. Alas the only witnesses were the Kaiser’s infantry firing at me with all their fury. I climbed and finally spotted the Yellow nosed Alb.

[Linked Image]
He was floating down to a safe landing. C5333 had enough holes so I let him go.

Climbed north toward Bray, our designated rally point. Found B-P and Johnson. Returned to Conteville.

This afternoon brought another movement order from Colonel Holt at 22nd Wing. No 84 Squadron to Bertangles, near Amiens. Much closer to the action. Babson scuttled about worriedly as he helped me pack my belongings. He’s lost several pilots under his charge and I fear that the strain is getting to him.

More bad news: Leask has gone to hospital and is not likely to return. No. 84 Squadron have now lost two Flight Commanders in the past 4 days.

Last edited by epower; 04/04/21 12:24 AM.
#4562406 - 04/04/21 12:48 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Epower, not just dish towels. She could have your underwear stand on edge as well! Her show on Netflix was an eye opener.
Rudi didn’t mind his C.O. go after that SPAD. He would not have gone after him to finish it off anyway. It was his for the taking. Besides, with the abundance of easy targets, who’s counting?
I see Oliver had to deal with the same joys of atmospheric vagaries that were impeding Rudi as well. Well done with that useless Pfalz and too bad the yellow nose got away. What? Another move? I hope Babson is folding Winningstadt’s socks properly. Did Oliver get the chance to catch up with Freddy at least? Two Flight Commanders gone in such a short time? That’s rough. Take solace in the fact it wasn’t Rudi’s handiwork.

#4562427 - 04/04/21 03:07 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory

I Didnt realize that we had a Visitor watching our formation landing. Col. Hugo von Holstien from the Army Staff HQ. was here to to decorate our leading Ace.

https://giphy.com/gifs/flying-machines-gold-finger-gert-forbe-eDjghqeJDFmsxvtc2W/fullscreen

#4562460 - 04/04/21 01:11 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - Quite the to-do it would appear, from all that Boche pomp and circumstance.

Epower - Wretched weather, isn't it? But still we're told to go out and do our bit for King and Country. And what's this? Another move for Oliver? Good Lord, will HQ ever make up their tiny minds?! Bad luck on losing two FLs in four days, that has to leave a gap in the line-up and poor spirits in the mess. And too bad also that Ripper and Freddy missed each other at Conteville, though I'm betting your man is not sorry to be rid of the place and moving on to a fully operational and established aerodrome, the lucky dog.

trustworthykebab - Come along, join us now and get in seven months of practice before the next full DID campaign begins. Good fun too while you're waiting.

Fullofit - One can't always see the end results of one's handiwork which is why that "OOC" category exists, at least on the British side of things, but I'm guessing Rudi and his kette mates don't have that option in the Kaiser's fliegertruppen. Germans seem mush more precise about such things. And I fully agree about having more realistic claims levels in the new BHaH II, here's hoping.

Albert - You have to give full marks to those repair and maintenance crews at the aerodromes, they know how to get things back in order and shipshape PDQ. So a fairly dud day for our Jimmy, despite flaming that V-strutter. Ah well, he knows he got the job done even without the credit.

As for Captain Frederick Abbott, he did not make it back to Conteville until very late in the day yesterday, and despite the Ack Emmas best efforts to have his shot-up mount ready for this morning's flip it was not to be. Freddy had to wait until after lunch before he was able to get back into the air at which point he ran a sortie south of Arras for another strafing job. Not nearly as hostile nor frightening as yesterday's and Abbott and his crew were back in time for afternoon tea. Dud weather washed out flying for the rest of the day and gave the lads a much-appreciated breather from the close work.

#4562461 - 04/04/21 01:35 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: trustworthykebab]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Originally Posted by trustworthykebab
Don't know if I'm allowed to write here something that's not a combat report, but I just read through more deeply into this DiD campaign. Man it looks amazing! I'll wait the next one to enlist though, I like going through it from the very beginning.

Soldat! Melde Dich jetzt freiwillig! Der Kaiser sucht dringend junge Piloten, die Fokkers neuste Maschinen gegen die Engländer und Franzosen fliegt und Ruhm erlangt!
Dies ist der Krieg, der alle Kriege überflüssig macht! Jetzt, oder nie!

Soldier! Volunteer now! The Kaiser is urgently looking for young pilots who will fly Fokker's newest machines against the English and French and gain fame! This is the war to end all wars! Now or never!

Last edited by LtCasey; 04/04/21 01:37 PM.

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4562469 - 04/04/21 03:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Lou, I would say be careful on those ground strikes but would be preaching to the choir. I let out an grown when they come up. I can’t imagine the real thing. Steel nuts.

Fullofit, I hope Rudi will be careful. The war will end one day. Think of the glory and prestige he has won already. Would be a shame not to use it after the war.

Albert, good move on not pursuing this Huns. You may get away with it a few times but it will catch up with you.

Trustworthy, I second everything Fullofit says. Join now!

Epower, those are tough loses with the Commander’s. Now to your new home. With the war reaching a boiling point they seem to be more frequent.

Carrick, Walter is hanged tough.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4562472 - 04/04/21 03:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, yes - that’s exactly what irks the German aces - this “out of control” claim malarkey. In order to pad their claims the Britishers will allow spins to be counted as victories. To the German pilot that spin is an evasive maneuver. Bah!
So, this bad weather explains why Rudi and his Schwarm have not encountered any enemy planes.

LtCasey, you tell ‘em!

MFair, this is not the time to think of one’s safety. Victory or death!

4 April, 1918
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
71 confirmed kills

Four of yesterday’s claims have been confirmed. Three Camels and one SPAD.
The atmospheric conditions were not the most conducive to spotting enemy planes. In other words, muck, pea soup, wall of clouds combined with sea of clouds. Both patrols were uneventful and no one spotted any enemy activity. On the bright side, with each plane loaded with 1,000 rounds of ammunition, five planes per flight, two flights per mission and two missions on that day accounted for 20,000 saved bullets.
In other exciting news, the orders came from Idflieg to repaint the crosses on their Fokkers. Apparently the old Eisernes Kreuz was too difficult to recognize and easily confused with enemy insignia, hence the frequent friendly fire. The new design of Balkenkreuz should alleviate this concern.
Tybelsky had his own theory as to the reason for this change. He believed strongly that all is not well in the Reich and there appear to be certain shortages, such as black paint. He estimated that they will use at least 25% less of black paint with these new crosses. Rudi burst his bubble by telling him they would save 100% of black paint if they left the crosses alone. Tybelsky countered with the question of what to do about the new planes that are being built. They will save on paint with the new crosses on new planes, but to keep everything consistent they would also have to repaint the existing planes. The jury is still out.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1918-04-04.jpg

#4562485 - 04/04/21 04:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
That is a lovely paint scheme on your DR1 Fullofit.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4562488 - 04/04/21 05:15 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Real Nice Paint job

#4562495 - 04/04/21 05:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Fullofit]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Originally Posted by Fullofit
t-bab, if you’ve browsed through these pages you will know there are things written here that should not have been written anywhere, so you are welcome to write whatever you like, within a reason of course and knowing us - the barmiest of the barmy - reason is a broad concept to us.
Why not join us now? I expect you are not the most patient of men, or maybe you are, I don’t know, but wait until November to finish this round, then wait more until someone decides to run another series, who knows when. That has to stretch anyone’s patience pretty thin. And who knows? There may not even be another career. Nothing is for certain, what is certain is that you will be chomping at the bit and kicking yourself for not joining sooner. I could be totally wrong, consider this a dry run before the next DiD extravaganza, try it and if you don’t like it, you can always drop out and pretend like you don’t even know us. You know you want to.
Man, I should get a recruitment medal.

Oh man, now it's hitting me more than ever. I'll think about it, I may join you soon!

#4562502 - 04/04/21 06:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit - Congratulations on four more confirmed kills. Then a couple of dud patrols, it's been a while since Rudi had any of them that's for sure. What's all this kerfuffle about crosses and paint. With most of the Kaiser's aircraft boasting brightly colored paint jobs, the crosses are the last thing you'll need to identify them.

Carrick - Spatenbrau needs a faster crate, I hear Fokker might have something up his sleeve in the near future.

Epower - A job well done in the horrible weather, whether the claim lands or not. With your crate shot up you were right not to follow the enemy down, not over enemy territory anyway, it would only take one round in the fuel line and Winningstad would be spending the rest of the war as a guest of the Kaiser. Now a move to Bertangles. The action can only increase down there methinks.

Lou - They did a splendid job repairing the hanger and in bad weather too. More ground pounding for Freddy but no casualties importantly. Enjoy the respite and then when this weather clears Freddy can get back to slaying German aircraft.

MFair - yes Jimmy realised how far he'd crossed the lines and thought better of it.

TWKebab - With the Americans now in the war you've never had more options so now's a great time to join in.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4562504 - 04/04/21 06:28 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory
1 pending

April 4, 1918.

The kette ( 3 ) Machines we posted to a Balloon Attachk at the Far end of the Bulge in the lines. As the machines dove, I spotted two French Types low to the right . I broke off to pursue and positioned my a/c to bounce the e/a. Down I went Mg's firing spiting out lead. Unaccountably we both turned in the same direction and my port lower wing tip smacked into the e/a. I fought to kept the a/c stable while the e/a did a flip over then spun downward. I was busy trying to get a handle on this unstable machine and find a place to land. Got her down,but in a wild skid a fuel line broke ans caused a Fire. While the machine was still sliding across the field, I jumped out with my pant leg and arm on fire. I rolled till the fire was out and watched my Aero machine Burn. Luckily , a farmer came to my rescue.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-04 10-32-23-53.jpgCFS3 2021-04-04 10-35-36-05.jpgCFS3 2021-04-04 10-51-10-23.jpgCFS3 2021-04-04 10-59-16-79.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 04/04/21 06:34 PM.
#4562508 - 04/04/21 06:53 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
No flying today for Jimmy, RL got in the way. I'll catch up tomorrow.

2nd Lieutenant James Harrison, DSC
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
4th April 1918

5 confirmed kills

"Attention!" called Major Thaw and with that, the pilots, ground crew and guards all snapped sharply to attention.

General Pershing climbed out of his staff car and saluted. He walked over to Major Thaw with his staff alongside him.

The Major saluted and accompanied the General to the lines of men.

The General walked slowly along the line of ground crew and then guards. He then started along the line of pilots, he exchanged words with several before reaching Jimmy and the Major introduced Jimmy to the General. "General, this is 2nd Lieutenant James Harrison, winner of five confirmed victories and the officer due to receive the award" explained the Major.

The General reached behind him and his adjutant passed the medal to him. The General then pinned it firmly to Jimmy's chest. "Good job Lieutenant, this is from a grateful nation" confirmed the General. The General saluted and Jimmy answered with a pristine salute of his own.

The General finished walking along the line of pilots and then moved back to a position in front of the group of men.

"No doubt" the General started, "You have heard of the enemy attacks in Flanders. They have hit the British hard, there is no doubt about that. The British are fighting back tenaciously, however". He continued.

"The American forces in France are now ready and will take the attack to the enemy in due course."

"That attack will be made by the sword of righteousness that has brought the USA into this war. You men, here now, are the cutting edge of that sword. Keep it up, keep hitting the enemy and keep that sword as sharp as ever. I have no fear that you will" finished the General.

With that he saluted once more and moved away with Major Thaw and spoke at length with him before saluting and returning to his staff car.

Once the parade had dispersed Jimmy and the others made their way to the mess, they needed a drink.

Attached Files Screenshot_20210404-113930~2.pngScreenshot_20210403-102000~2.pngScreenshot_20210403-101541~2.pngScreenshot_20210403-102503~2.pngScreenshot_20210403-222205~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4562519 - 04/04/21 08:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
English Translation down as the second Part.

Zwischen Hölle....

Oberst Flashar betrat die Küche. Er war selten hier. "Dies ist kein Ort für Helden des Kaisers!", dachte er bei sich und rümpfte die Nase.
Der Flieger Gärtner, ja er hatte ihn degradieren müssen wegen des Vorfalls mit dem Albatros, schälte Kartoffeln für das Abendessen der Offiziere.
"ACHTUNG,Offizier anwesend!" brüllte Flashar.
Das Küchenmesser fiel zu Boden und Gärtner sprang auf.
"Ich habe gute und schlechte Nachrichten für Sie. Ihr Kamerad Feldwebel Otto Reichert hat sich noch dämlicher angestellt, als Sie, und sich bei seinem Jungfernflug abschiessen lassen. Das Wrack liegt im Niemandsland. Die kaiserliche Infanterie kommt aber nicht an die Unglücksstelle, da in der Nähe ein britisches MG Nest ist." Gärtner verzog keine Miene. "Die gute Nachricht lautet daher für Sie, Sie dürfen ab morgen früh 0600h wieder fliegen. Aber erst servieren Sie uns noch das Abendessen und machen hier klar Schiff! Dann übergeben Sie die Küche wieder an den Küchenbullen. Mein Gott, fliegen können Sie nicht, aber kochen! Ja kochen, wie eine gute Magd! Rühren und weitermachen!" Der Oberst machte zackig kehrt und verließ die Küche.
Arnold bereitete weiter das Abendessen zu.....

...und Himmel

Gärtner sass in einer verbesserten Albatros DIII und versuchte die Formation zu halten. Es war jetzt halb neun und der Morgen hatte einige Wollentürme mitgebracht. Gegen Mittag sollte der Wind zunehmen. Sie flogen Ihre Patrouille wie befohlen, als Leutnant Fritz Rumey ihm ein feindliches Flugzeug signalisierte. Arnold starrte in die angegebene Richtung, könnte aber nichts entdecken. "Wie kann Fritz da etwas erkennen?" wunderte er sich. Dann sah er sie, eine Sopwith Strutter! Sie folgte einem deutschen Aufklärer, dessen Tragflächen schon reichlich Treffer aufwiesen. Der Leutnant befahl ihm anzugreifen. Also legte Arnold die Albatros in eine lange Rechtskurve und drücke die Nase nach unten. Der Brite reagierte nicht, kein Abwehrfeuer des Beobachters, kein manövrieren, nichts.
Gärtner rauschte heran, der Gegner wurde immer größer. Dann, als der Tommy ganz groß im Visier war, zog er beide Abzüge durch....Corditgeruch, und das taktaktak beider MGs umhüllten ihn. Er tauchte hinter der Strutter vorbei, drehte den Kopf und sah, das er nichts sah. Die Strut flog weiter, dann legte Sie sich über und kreiste in die Tiefe. Kein Rauch, kein gar nix.
Arnold flog einen weiten Bogen und behielt den Briten im Auge.

Fritz war direkt hinter ihm, griff aber nicht in den Kampf ein.
Plötzlich hörte die Strutter auf zu kreisen und ging in einen leichten Sinkflug Richtung Westen über. Arnold zog nach, holten den britischen Flieger ein und gab noch einen langen Feuerstoss ab. Mit einem lauten Knall löste sich die rechte obere Tragfläche der britischen Maschine und diese bohrte sich in den Boden.

Leutnant Rumey setzte sich neben seine Albatros signalisierte Daumen hoch und bedeutete ihm zum Flugfeld zurück zu kehren. Die Morgenpatrouille war beendet.

Arnold Gärtner berichtete nach seinem Flug an Herrn Oberst von seinem Erfolg, der sofort von Rumey bestätigt wurde.

....und zurück in die Hölle

Die Mittagspatrouille fing harmlos an, friedlich zog die Kette über die Front.
Das Wetter wurde zusehends grau und sehr windig. Die Wolken reichten bis auf 1000m herunter.

Dann, aus dem Nichts der Überfall, eine Rotte Camels fiel über die Kette her!
Wie durch ein Wunder wurde niemand abgeschossen, aber die deutsche Rotte wurde getrennt.
Arnold hatte zwei Briten auf sich gezogen und drehte und kreiste um sein junges Leben.
Er war alleine, niemand zu sehen, nur die Camels, von denen einer übermütig an ihm vorbei zog. Gärtner nutzte die Gelegenheit und gab einen Schnellschuss, wenig gezielt, ab. Dann drehte er weg, da der zweite Angreifer auf Ihn einkurvte. Aus den Augenwinkeln bemerkte er, das der Erste Pilot nicht mehr reagierte und in einem Gleitflug mit stehendem Propeller auf die Erde zuschoss und hoppelnd auf einer Strasse landete.
Er konnte das Geschehen nicht weiter verfolgen, da der zweite Brite Ihn unter Feuer nahm und ausweichen musste.
Dieser Kampf dauerte fast zehn Minuten mit dem besseren Ende für den Deutschen. In einem letzten Versuch setzte sich Gärtner hinter die Camel und verbrauchte seine restliche Munition. Mit Erfolg!! Der Brite kippte mit der Nase voran auf die Erde zu und stürzte in ein Waldstück.
Zurück auf dem Flugplatz berichtete er dem Oberst. Dieser wird seine Abschüsse sofort zurück, da es keine Zeugen gab.
"Was kümmert es mich, ich weiss, das ich sie abgeschossen habe!" salutierte und verließ das Zelt des Oberst.

Between hell ....

Colonel Flashar entered the kitchen. He was seldom here. "This is no place for the Kaisers heroes!" He thought to himself and wrinkled his nose. The aviator Gärtner, yes he had to demote him because of the incident with the albatross, peeled potatoes for the officers' dinner. "ATTENTION, officer present!" Flashar roared. The kitchen knife fell to the floor and Gärtner jumped up. "I have good and bad news for you. Your comrade Feldwebel Otto Reichert was even more stupid than you, and allowed himself to be shot down on his maiden flight. The wreck is in no man's land with a British MG nest nearby. " Gärtner didn't show a motion. "The good news for you is therefore that you can fly again from 6:00 AM tomorrow morning. But first you serve us dinner and clear the ship here! Then you hand the kitchen back to the chef. My God, you can't fly, but cook! Yes cook like a good maid! At ease and go on! " The Oberst swiftly turned and left the kitchen. Arnold continued to prepare dinner .....

..and heaven

Gärtner sat in an improved Albatros DIII and tried to keep the formation. It was now eight thirty and the morning had brought some huge towers of clouds. The wind should pick up around noon. The Kette were flying their patrol as ordered when Lieutenant Fritz Rumey signaled an enemy aircraft to him. Arnold stared in the direction indicated but couldn't see anything. "How can Fritz see something there?" he wondered. Then he saw her, a Sopwith Strutter! It followed a German reconnaissance aircraft whose wings were already showing plenty of hits. The lieutenant ordered him to attack. So Arnold put the Albatros in a long right turn and pushed his nose down. The Brit did not react, no defensive fire from the observer, no maneuvering, nothing. Gärtner rushed up, the enemy grew bigger and bigger. Then, when the Tommy was very big in his sights, he pulled both triggers through ... the smell of cordite, and the tactactak of both machine guns enveloped him. He dived behind the Strutter, turned his head and saw that he saw nothing. The Strut flew on, then folded over and circled down. No smoke, no nothing. Arnold made a wide arc, keeping an eye on the British.

Fritz was right behind him, but did not intervene in the fight. Suddenly the Strutter stopped circling and began a slight descent to the west. Arnold followed suit, caught up with the British plane and fired another long burst. With a loud bang, the right upper wing of the British machine detached and the plane drilled into the ground. Lieutenant Rumey flew next to his Albatross, signaled thumbs up and motioned for him to return to the airfield. The morning patrol was over. Arnold Gärtner reported on his success after his flight to Colonel, which was immediately confirmed by Rumey.

... and back to hell

The miday patrol began harmlessly, the Kette peacefully pulled over the front. The weather was becoming increasingly gray and very windy. The clouds reached down to 1000m. Then, out of nowhere, the raid, a squad of Camels attacked the Kette! As if by a miracle no one was shot down, but the German Kette was separated. Arnold had drawn two British and turned and circled for his young life. He was alone, no one to be seen, only the camels, one of which passed cockily by him. Gärtner took the opportunity and gave a quick shot, not very targeted. Then he turned away as the second attacker turned on him. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed that the first pilot no longer reacted and shot in a gliding flight with the propeller upright towards the earth and landed crouching on a street. He could not follow what was happening because the second Tommy took him under fire and had to evade. This fight lasted almost ten minutes with the better ending for the German. In a final attempt, Gärtner sat down behind the Camel and used up the remaining ammunition. With success!! The Brit fell nose first towards the ground and crashed into a wooded area.

Back at the airfield, he reported to the Oberst. He rejected his claims immediately as there were no witnesses. "What do I care, I know I got them!" Gärtner saluted and left the tent.

Last edited by LtCasey; 04/04/21 08:31 PM.

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4562521 - 04/04/21 08:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
trustworthykebab Offline

Alright, I decided. I'll join you! So, do I still have to PM Raine with all the information necessary, as stated in the first page, or do I have to act differently? (BTW, I cannot PM Raine as he's over his private topic limit)

Page 273 of 366 1 2 271 272 273 274 275 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM