Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 271 of 366 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 365 366
#4561953 - 03/31/21 09:22 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - good to see someone's taking the fight to the boche at least. It's the best way to get all the frustrations about that airfield out as well. So now it's like Piccadilly Circus on a Friday night, but with leaky tents, not good.

Carrick - Interesting stats, that victory number would be far higher if it included nurses though.

Raine - I didn't realise your man had 42 kills, good show.

Fullofit - A melee of a different flavor for Rudi but one that ended as all the others do, with another victory. A classic two seater takedown as well, good stuff. As for Jimmy as a flight leader, he's just happy to be there at the moment, even being an officer now doesn't affect him at all. But yes he's got the eyes for the job certainly, and hopefully that'll continue.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4561976 - 03/31/21 12:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
2nd Lieutenant James Harrison
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
31st March 1918

4 confirmed kills (1 awaiting confirmation)

"Well Gentlemen, seeing as you did so well last time, the French area commander has asked if we wouldn't mind sending another German gasbag down in flames for him" said Major Thaw.

"This one has only just gone up apparently, it's this side of the Forêt d'Argonne and can spot right across to Chalons in good weather, so it's got to go". "I'll lead 'A' flight and Dave Peterson will lead 'B'" the Major continued.

"The weather has closed in again, murky grey skies and far too much cloud for comfort, so be careful up there. Get the balloon and get the hell out of there. If needed there's an airfield due south of the target we can head to afterwards as well".

"Ok Gentlemen let's go get ready" he finished.

Jimmy and the others lined up, engines roaring and headed out. 'The Major was right about the weather' thought Jimmy as he scanned the skies above as they climbed and formed up.

They headed north, climbing all the time, toward the lines. Jimmy was checking as always, scanning the skies, thankfully without result.

They headed over the lines now and turned east, they throttled back and nosed down.

The pop of flak bursts started making themselves felt. They were heading towards the target area now and down to 1500 meters, but where was this balloon? They should see it by now.

Jimmy peered over the side as they got lower and nearer 'Where the hell is it?' He thought. Had the Germans winched it right down? Jimmy went to have a look but there was nothing, no sign of any balloon, winched or not.

All the time the formation was getting pounded by flak. There was nothing else for it. Lt Peterson signalled to head back over the lines. They climbed back up and headed home.

'What a waste of time that was. The Major's not going to like this' thought Jimmy.

The return journey went without hitch and on landing, the pilots headed off to clean up.

That evening Jimmy was called to the Major's office. As he waited outside, Jimmy could hear loud words, in French, clearly the Major was tearing the local French liaison a new one.

"What the hell do you mean 'wrong coordinates'!!" Jimmy could hear the Major barking. "There wasn't a balloon within 10km of where you sent us!!"....."Try again tomorrow!!!" "This is war not a #%&*$# hunting shoot!".

The door suddenly opened and a very pale faced French Lieutenant walked past Jimmy.

"Come in Jimmy" the Major requested, "at ease".

"You heard all that I'm guessing Jimmy?" "Well sometimes I just wish those brass hats would come up here and see what's really going on" the Major explained.

"Anyway, that's not why you're here. That French Lieutenant did bring one useful bit of information....... apparently a Capitaine in the trenches reported seeing a German aircraft crash into the wire entanglements ahead of his position." The Major explained.

"They've confirmed your claim Jimmy. That's five isn't it. Hell of a job. But don't stop now, keep going, there's a hell of a lot of fighting left in this war, believe me". The Major finished.

"Thank you sir and you can count on me" and with that Jimmy saluted and left.

Attached Files 1-1.jpg2-1.jpg3-1.jpg

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4561979 - 03/31/21 12:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
End of month stats

11 missions
8.2 hours
5 confirmed kills, 2 rejected.

#4561990 - 03/31/21 01:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Albert - Jimmy's at five confirmed already? Outstanding! And isn't it nice when your CO is looking out for your best interests, way to go Major Thaw, tearing that Frenchman a new one for putting the boys of the 103rd at unnecessary risk. More lovely screenshots.
And Piccadilly Circus on a Friday night is an apt description of Conteville at the moment. At least the REs have more tents in place for the men, and even a large mess tent as well. Still a long way to go before I'd call the place a proper aerodrome though.

Fullofit - I'm amazed at how well those big boxy Bréguets can maneuver. Still, not well enough to avoid ace Rudi's guns. Well done. However, the previous video, scary stuff! I thought his number was up there for a moment. The gods were clearly on his side in that one.
Now to HQ and tactics, those two seem to have been at odds with each other for quite some time, at least on the British side of things. To the music video link you provided, that is a catchy tune isn't it?

bwoc bwoc
waah waaaaah waah

bwoc bwoc
waah waaaaah waah

bwoc bwoc
waah waaaaah waah

bwoc bwoc
waah waaaaah waah

Gong Fairy...

Talbot - Another fine diary entry. I agree with Albert, those two-seaters are best NOT attacked from above. But your man lives, and learns, and can fight another day.

LtCasey - Brilliant introduction to your man Gärtner! Here's hoping that Colonel Richard Flashar's attitude towards the new fliegers improves. Looking forward to the next installment.

Epower - Ayr, Scotland? I'm so jealous. Oliver has some lovely countryside to fly over and possibly die in, should one of his students happen to kill him. And poor Barlow, to snuff it while testing a new mount seems a double insult to a combat pilot. Wonderful pics and documentation by the way, I particularly like those vintage training charts.

31 March 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Conteville, France

Ground attacks continued during today's morning sorties for the Camels of 65 Squadron. Captain Frederick Abbott led 'B' Flight down to Miraumont where they strafed and bombed Hun troops moving across open country as they brought up reinforcements to support their new lines in that area. Apart from some venting in their mounts there was no damage done to the King's own. Back to camp for some lunch and a quick rest before going out again on the afternoon flip. This time, and as a change of pace since arriving at Conteville, Freddy and his crew were tasked with going due east to Lens where there was an observation balloon that HQ wanted brought down. As the lads readied themselves there was some speculation as to why, when all the action was well to the south, were they going after a Hun sausage at Lens. After much back-and-forth it was concluded that the Brass Hats did what they wanted and it wasn't incumbent on mere airmen to know the whys and wherefores. Best to just get on with it.

Captain Abbott and 'B' Flight leaving Conteville for their afternoon outing to Lens, while 'C' Flight prepares to return to the south and further harass the Hun moving about in that region.
[Linked Image]

As they crossed the mud and neared the Boche balloon the five Camels were bounced by eight DR.1s sporting various arrangements of black and white banding. Amid uncomfortably close Archie blasts, Freddy latched onto the tail of one Fokker and made quick work of it before continuing on to the target, while the remainder of his flight tied up the air Hun.
[Linked Image]

2nd Lieutenant Harry Alwin tagged along with his flight leader and the two unleashed their Le Prieur rockets on the Hun gasbag. Only one out of the eight found the mark.
[Linked Image]

As Alwin broke off to contend with one of the Fokkers, Abbott pushed on and finished the job with his Vickers.
[Linked Image]

No time to admire his handiwork as there were air Hun seemingly everywhere. Freddy tore into the nearest threat and sent it spinning down into the mud below.
[Linked Image]

The fellow's wingman was on the Captain immediately and the two had a good go-round before the DR.1 eventually ended up in front of Freddy's guns and was sent to join his kette mate.
[Linked Image]

But Abbott was still not done as he spied a lone Fokker on high making a run for it. The Captain zoomed up beneath it and laced it end to end before the Hun even knew he was there.
[Linked Image]

Skies cleared, balloon down, and smoke columns everywhere marking the fallen aircraft. Freddy collects his flight and discovers they are a man short. It was Alwin.
[Linked Image]

Returning to Conteville, the remaining lads from 'B' Flight submit their AARs and claims while the Ack Emmas set to work patching the many, many vents in everyone's kites. Upon seeing the damage Freddy was amazed no one had been hit or lost, apart from 2nd Lt. Alwin. Poor chap, he was seen to crash near the Hun balloon, a victim of one of the Fokkers. The only dark spot to an otherwise incredibly successful outing, particularly for Freddy who claimed not only the Hun gasbag but four Fokkers as well. And to top it off, by dinner time confirmation for all five of his claims had been called in, by a forward-stationed British artillery unit and a friendly obs balloon crew as well!
[Linked Image]

#4561991 - 03/31/21 01:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

With his five confirmed Hun for today, here are Freddy's EOM stats:

Captain Frederick H.B. Abbott, DSO MC CdG
65 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France
Sopwith Camel

242 missions
292.81 hours
58 victories
105 claims

#4562067 - 03/31/21 10:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory

31 March 1918.

I arrived for the afternoon Patrol. The instructions were to keep tight avoid being out numbered My kette had 4 a/c with 3 behind us for cover so off we went into the dark skies. The leader found a flight of 5 Re 8's in the walls of clouds. I just followed then fire as I closed. My target broke off to the port and I followed firing. He just hung up there as his backseat put a string of rounds in my machine. I lost power then start trailing smoke. Fuel off, motor off, side slip in case of fire. I was able to put down by a Friendly Airfield. Jasta score : 2 RE's destroyed 1 D-111 destroyed + mine danaged

Attached Files CFS3 2021-03-31 14-56-37-79.jpgCFS3 2021-03-31 14-54-39-47.jpgCFS3 2021-03-31 14-58-05-93.jpgCFS3 2021-03-31 14-58-41-40.jpgCFS3 2021-03-31 15-01-39-56.jpgCFS3 2021-03-31 15-05-17-44.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 03/31/21 10:26 PM.
#4562073 - 04/01/21 12:01 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, Jimmy is an ace now. Well done and too bad about the balloon mixup. Now it becomes evident why the Yanks were sent to help the French instead of the British.

Lou, I too wonder if all the large planes are not by any chance endowed with a generous flight model. Some of them handle much better than some scouts. As far as I know they were supposed to be stable, not nimble.
Now, if we could only hire Matt Milne to compose a track for the Gong Fairy song ...
Freddy’s on a rampage! Congrats on the five confirmed kills. Where did Abbott learn to do that? Freddy downs Dreideckers as if they were Pfalzes. What’s his secret? That’s a nice shot of Freddy flying through mayhem.

31 March, 1918 09:45
Fontaine-Uterte, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
63 confirmed kills

Bréguet has been denied. Flak precise bombardment of the enemy machine seemed more plausible than being shot down by a scout right next to it.
Rudi was staring at the large map in the briefing room with their next assignment’s flight path clearly marked on it. It was a straight line from Fontaine-Uterte, across the front lines and ending 50 km west into enemy territory.
“- We land ... there?”
The C.O. Walter Göttsch was a patient man and assured Rudi this is not enemy territory anymore. “- Out troops captured a whole series of enemy airfields and we’re moving up to get closer to the new frontlines.
“- Balatre.” Fuchs studied the map a little longer.
“- So we fly our planes west and we simply land there?”
“- Why is it so difficult to understand?” Göttsch was finally losing his patience.
“- Well, it doesn’t seem safe to me.”
“- You worry about enemy airplanes in the area and I’ll worry about the safety of the new aerodrome.” The C.O. has had enough.
“- Ok, so I will fly there ...” Rudi wanted to make sure.
“- ... and you laaand there!” Göttsch finished the sentence for him.
“- We’ll get a new set of maps soon. Dismissed!”

[Linked Image]

Rudi did as ordered and to his surprise, after landing at Balatre, he was greeted by German troops. He had a feeling they’re not going to stay here for long.

Attached Files 1918-03-31 Transfer.JPG

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4562077 - 04/01/21 12:16 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
End of month stats:

Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
Jasta 19, JG II
Balatre, Flanders Sector
Fokker Dr.I
67 missions
44.30 hrs
63 victories
108 claims

#4562085 - 04/01/21 03:38 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Lt. Casey - Very pleased to learn ranks will remain auf Deutsch. I believe it will add to the immersion. For myself, I always hear the voices of either Karl Michael Vogler or Anton Diffring pronouncing the hard 'G' when someone writes "Herr General."
We're of the same mind when it comes to incorporating historical pilots. I've been lucky to find the actual rosters of the squads Oliver has flown with.

Albert - Well, well. Jimmy is moving up fast. I wonder who amongst his comrades will be thinking, "I'll have to watch you." Congrats on making Ace. Major Thaw seems like the real deal. Jimmy is lucky in his CO. Excellent writing. Cool pics.

RT - Welcome back. Outstanding use of a historical format. As the French say, those 2 seaters can be For-mi-dable. Be careful with your man there. Excellent capture of the 'Where the heck did everybody go?!" The content and immersion is worth all the eyestrain reading the cursive. Keep it going.

Lou - I'm overlate in complimenting the classic Gong Fairy illustration. On to Immortality!
Wonderful pics of Freddy's mud moving adventures. Camel v DR1 is as iconic as it gets. Oliver envies the Camels maneuverability if not its speed. Those mud moving sorties will put the wind up the most courageous soul. Good to see Freddy getting home in one piece, even if Conteville is more of a wilderness camp than an aerodrome. Congrats on the five confirmations!

Carrick - Uh oh. More 2 seaters ventilating our favorite nurse hunter. Not good. Nice work getting the wounded machine down safely. Excellent pics. I especially like the one of the Pfalz waving a long white tail into an overcast of similar color.

Fullofit - You have the "hang on the prop" thing down. Always fun to watch your fellows attacking two seaters. Still trying to master that particular technique for Oliver. Nice kill. Rudi and his CO appear to have different interpretations of "The Book of Instructions." Hope they can work things out soon.

Raine - What news of Mac?

Ladies and gentlemen, please keep your your body parts and personal items in the vehicle at all times. We will be moving quickly.

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 62 of many

14 February 1918
School of Aerial Fighting
Ayr, Scotland

I put my case for transfer to Colonel Rees this afternoon and barely got my first sentence out before he turned me down flat.

“Out of the question. Go sit in a dark room, Winningstad, or hammer that great monstrous bag. You’ll return to your senses in the morning.”

“Sir, I…”

“That will be all, Winningstad,” interjected Colonel Rees.

Round One to the establishment.
Tonight, I wrote to Colonel Smith-Barry and Maurice Baring requesting their assistance.

16 February 1918
Ayr, Scotland

Colonel Rees listened this time.

“I’ve had two months rest, sir. I’m fully recovered.”

I explained how I’d turned down two squadron commands and accepted Home Establishment only after Boom threatened to send me back to America to sell war bonds.

“Why did you refuse command, Winningstad?”

“Standing orders that Squadron commanders not fly. I’m at my best in the air, sir, and the German Spring Offensive can’t be far off. With all the divisions released from the eastern front, the Hun will try and win the war at one go. When the attack comes, I believe I can best serve the Flying Corps in France.”

“You’re quite the fire-eater.” he replied. “I understand your desire, but I cannot agree that two months Home Establishment is sufficient time away from combat operations.”

“Transfers often take time, sir. I might have closer to three months rest by the time a posting comes through.”

Colonel Rees said nothing, neither did his face betray his thoughts.

Round Two – draw.

1 March 1918
Ayr, Scotland

Decent flying weather these past two weeks. I’ve not brought up the subject of transfer since my first two conversations with Colonel Rees, preferring to expend all my energies on flying, instruction and physical training to combat my growing frustration.

Last week I traveled 20 miles down the coast to the School of Aerial Gunnery at Turnberry in order to fly the captured Albatros housed there. The airfield is on the site of a golf course and both students and instructors are living in the Turnberry Hotel. Luxury indeed. Everything here is what you’d expect at a first-class golfing resort. Two of the golf courses remain open for play and there’s no shortage of lunatics heading out into blustery Spring weather. I’ve no idea how they can hit the ball with such implements. It does look like fun but learning the game will have to wait until after the war.

[Linked Image]
Turnberry Hotel

The Albatros is an earlier D variant brought down in November of 1916. A cold and drafty beast and heavy to handle. Strong engine with plenty of power. Controls not as well harmonized as the SE. Roll rate sluggish but the elevator is very sensitive. The instrument layout beggars belief. Airspeed indicator outboard on the wing strut. Most awkward. I’ll stick with my S.E.5a.

[Linked Image]
What incredible scenery! I flew low around Ailsa Craig on the way back to Ayr.

4 March 1918
Somewhere in England
Night Train to London

Quite the turn of events! Two days ago, I broached the subject of a return to France with Colonel Rees again. He sounded more supportive but remained non-committal. This afternoon he called me into his office, granted me three days leave, then informed me I had a meeting at the Air Ministry on the 6th with Col. Hugh Dowding, GOC Training Command.

5 March 1918
R.F.C. Club
Berkeley Square, London

First time staying here. I’ve always favored the Royal Automobile Club, mainly due to its superb gymnasium and related amenities. I do love that pool. While lacking in facilites, the RFC Club remains a most comfortable accommodation and a far better place to get the dope on what’s happening in France. Bumped into three men I knew from training - Johnson, Davies and Michaelson. We made sail to the Savoy Bar and then to dinner at the Grill.
Headed to Murray’s later on with Johnson in tow. I was not on the prowl but the same could not be said of the enthusiastic Johnson. Drinks soon arrived as did a number of ladies. The VC ribbon retained its magnetic pull. Johnson took interest in two raven-haired lovelies and we paired off.

Dorothy was her name but her friends she informed me called her “Dickie.” She was a fine dancer with a beautiful face, and a seductive figure. After five minutes of conversation, I came to detest her with a growing intensity. Not for her the silly banter about the ‘birds.’ She wanted to know how many Huns I’d killed. Johnson and his lady had returned to the table so I maneuvered back over. On the pretense of getting us all drinks I excused myself.

At the bar, I saw that Johnson and partner were dancing again. Much to my relief an RNAS officer approached Dickie with extended hand. God bless the Senior Service!

Greatly relieved, I returned to the table where not long after the very same Naval pilot approached. His friend had cut in and he was now solo once again. George MacAlister was his name, and by his accent he was Scot. He tried to offer apologies for not returning Dickie. I thanked him effusively for coming to my rescue. MacAlister ordered us a bottle of champagne and we got to talking. He is flying Camels with Naval 8, with considerable success if the fresh-looking DSO ribbon and the DSC id any indication. Neither of us were in the mood to dance so with both our comrades paired up with their respective ladies, we hove off to a pub behind the Regency Hotel where we enjoyed some pints and two hours of good fellowship.

We hit it off right away. MacAlister was the type of fellow one likes immediately. His family had a long history of service with the Royal Navy. His two brothers were currently at sea on Penelope and Valiant. I couldn’t resist giving him the needle about how the planned combined Air Force would put a stop to the Senior Service hoarding all the top planes. He gave it right back about how the proposal was a terrible idea and would sunder pilots from their naval tradition. We talked about the chaos in the USAS and I must admit I embellished somewhat, especially the part about the academy officers wearing spurs in the cockpit. I had a grand time. I hope I’ll see George when I get back to France.

6 March 1918
Somewhere in England
Night Train to Scotland

Came down to breakfast at the RFC club and bumped into Keith ‘Grid’ Caldwell. We knew each other by reputation but had never met. He was with 60 Sqn last Fall and was sitting above the Voss fight watching it unfold. We had a lively discussion of tactics. Grid reminds me of Maybery with his extremely aggressive “charge on in” attitude. I employed similar tactics when I was with 54 but after spending time with Jimmy McCudden my thinking shifted. Formations were smaller in the Spring and Summer of 1917. When I left France much larger engagements were becoming the norm and after talking recently with serving scout pilots it’s clear that trend will continue. Grid is instructing at CFS Upavon but is soon to have a command. He had some thoughts on leading a squadron which got me thinking.

Meeting with Colonel Dowding was encouraging. He knew I’d refused two commands with their accompanying Majority. We spoke at length about the changing Hun tactics and the ever-increasing scale of the air war. He mentioned the possibility of a refresher course with a front-line squadron. Some hope at last.

7 March 1918
Ayr, Scotland

An American detachment has arrived from Turnberry. I’ve not been around so many of my fellow countrymen in almost 2 years. They expressed open envy of my position with the RFC. Their own situation with the USAS is not promising. The rumor is that Pershing has recommended that pilots be Sergeants instead of officers and that flying pay be abolished. One of them, Mac Grider, told me the boys are pretty sore about it. They've good reason. Their situation is as bad as the American nurses who were promised then denied commissions.
I think many of the men would demand their discharges from the US service and transfer to the RFC but they would need commissions first, so they’re stuck. One more strike against my own possible transfer to Uncle Sam’s Air Service. What a monkey house the A.E.F is right now!

Two men killed today! Dealy and Ortmeyer. Both were Americans and each spun their Camel into the ground. Ortmeyer had 300 hours on a Curtisses as an instructor back home.

8 March 1918
Ayr, Scotland

Gods below! Another two pilots killed in spinning Camels today, RFC men this time. One look at the Camel pilots and it was clear they were all in a deep funk.

Colonel Rees was having none of it. The bodies were barely recovered when he took up a Camel and put on one of the most jaw dropping displays of aerobatics I have ever witnessed. Never flying above 500 feet, he stunted the Camel all over the sky, repeatedly spinning the aeroplane down to the treetops. I don’t think he ever recovered above 50 feet.

On landing he immediately ordered all the instructors to re-peat the performance in order to boost morale. I put an enthusiastic face on things to hide my terror. I’d never spun a Camel that close to the ground but there was nothing for it. I managed to pull it off twice without killing myself though my recoveries were closer to 75 feet.

Wind up, Oliver? No, thank you, I’ve all I need right here.

Colonel Rees added to his legendary reputation today. He gave a fiery speech after all the instructors landed safely about how there was nothing to worry about and to “go to it.” Several of the Camel flight were so enthusiastic they went up at noon and did exactly that. Colonel Rees is a man not afraid to lead from the front. Today’s lesson is one I will always remember.

8 March cont’d
Somewhere in England
Night Train to London

What a day! Orders to London arrived after lunch.
I’m off to a refresher course. No squadron mentioned. I’ll find out tomorrow when I get to the Air Ministry. Colonel Rees must have been working behind the scenes all along. The Old Man is a deep one. I wish I had more time for a proper farewell. I’ve learned much from his example and owe him a great debt.

9 March 1918
R.F.C. Club
Berkeley Square, London

Collected my orders at the Air Ministry. 84 Squadron at Flez! Major Sholto Douglas, who I knew at Estrée-Blanche, is the commanding officer.

McCudden is here! He’s just rotated to HE and has two weeks leave. When he learned I was heading to 84 Sqn he grew very serious and told me about his younger brother John, also a member of that squadron. Mac is terribly worried about his brother’s reckless flying and has asked me to keep an eye on him. In trying to match his elder sibling’s achievements, Mac believes his brother to be taking unnecessary risks.

“Jack’s very keen, Ripper. He won’t listen to me since I’m his brother, but you might be able to teach him some caution.”

I promised to do my utmost.

[Linked Image]

Dinner with Mac at Rules. We ate in the secluded upstairs bar at the corner table rumored to be King Edward’s favorite. As I suspected, Mac is frightfully embarrassed about the newspaper stories and happy to be away from gawkers. Being born “in barracks” and rising so prominently from the ranks makes him very sensitive on the subject of individual fame. I would never ask him this, but I believe he sometimes feels an outsider among the many public school types in the Flying Corps. Some of them still act like schoolboys. Mac is and has always been at heart a professional soldier, tremendously disciplined and always mindful of doing things the right way.

“You’re the darling of the newspapers, Mac. You and Fullard. As for me, I might as well be a fiction for all the interest they’ve shown me lately. Suits me just fine.”

He called me the most hateful names, all in good humor of course, when I told him about the stalking journalists and how I’d given them the slip. I left out the part about Clarissa. Mac wanted to know more about Barlow’s death. I told him what I knew which wasn’t much. When I asked him about Richard, he grew sad and confirmed what we all knew; Maybery was in need of a rest.

I was tempted by Mac’s extra ticket to Chu Chin Chow but after the events of the last few days and the early leave train tomorrow, I begged off.

11 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

7.50 leave train to Folkestone the morning of the 10th. I arrived in Boulogne at 3.00 exactly. Major Douglas sent Robin Grosvenor in the Squadron Crossley to collect me. Robin, or more formally, Captain the Honorable Robert Arthur Grosvenor, is an old acquaintance from No. 54 Squadron. We were squad mates during April and May of last year before he was posted to Home Establishment. He was very helpful to me when I was starting out, and I always liked him, even if he did suggest “Kitty” at my naming ceremony. We ate an early dinner in Boulogne, caught up on the last ten months, then made the long drive south to Flez, arriving at 2:30 in the morning.

I woke at 9.00 and immediately set out to find my new CO. Major Douglas was leading the morning patrol so it wasn’t until his return that I was able to present myself.

[Linked Image]

The Maj remembered me from our time at Estrée-Blanche when 84 Squadron were frequent guests in the mess of Major Blomfield and 56 Sqn. Robin caught me up on the situation at Flez last night at dinner and Major Douglas completed the picture. 84 share the aerodrome with 48 Sqn flying Bristols. Best of all, 54 Squadron is here! Incredibly 54 are back in the same mess we helped build nearly a year ago. The chicken coop is still there but larger now.

Walking the field, memories came flooding to the fore. Here was the hut I shared with Monty, Hadrill and Grevelink. I walked the flight line of 54’s hangars. On this spot Pixley was so violently ill that day I took his place leading the attack on F-U. The day I force landed behind the Hindenburg Line…

I found Mitchell and Johnson under the cowling of a Camel in the B Flight hangar, and came upon them unawares.

“Marking your property are you, Corporal?” I said. They both jumped. Mitchell swore as he hit his head on the cowling, then beamed a huge smile as he recognized me.

“Right you are, sir,” he replied, saluting sharply.
I threw military decorum to the wind and shook both their hands. These men who had kept me alive. Flight Sergeant Macdonald soon joined us as did many of the other men of B-Flight.

I was home at last.

Last edited by epower; 04/01/21 10:49 AM.
#4562089 - 04/01/21 06:57 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - Wow, a stellar performance, Abbott certainly made up for lost time there. If that doesn't show the brass that letting their top aces fly their aircraft, instead of moving them around France like chess pieces, might actually help the situation at the front, nothing will. As for Jimmy, yes he's a good 'un that Thaw it seems, especially when the French liaison bloke simply said "try again tomorrow", like it's that simple.

Carrick - Always a risky business attacking two seaters, you gave him some and he did likewise, so score draw sounds about right. At least Spatenbrau made it back thankfully.

Fullofit - A bold move to push Rudi's Jasta right up into the newly won ground, but up to date maps required for sure. I think he's in for a busy time there, get those spandaus ready.

Epower - Great story, so Colonel Rees slams the door at first but then softens to your badgering. Was he really slamming the door though or helping behind the scenes.

That trip to London, wow it was like that Eurythmics video to 'Who's that Girl' with all the famous celebrities in it. Yours would have been called 'Who's that Ace', a veritable feast of stars Winningstad bumped into and to top it all, he's back in France.

As for Jimmy, I'd like to think there's no jealousy, but if it spurred them on to get their own victories, Jimmy won't mind.

#4562097 - 04/01/21 09:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
1st April 1918

5 confirmed kills

"Apparently Gentlemen, the balloon we were meant to attack yesterday, had already been attacked earlier that morning by pilots from the 94th" confirmed Major Thaw

"I won't repeat my conversation with the French General's adjutant on hearing this, safe to say, if he were a cat, he'd have eight left now" he quietened the audible mutters.

"Ok, to today's business. Something a little different. We've been asked to patrol around Ferme d'Alger airfield about 15km to the west of us here. The Germans have been appearing in strength around there over the last few days and they want us to go sort it".

"The weather is better, clearer certainly but still plenty of large clouds up there for a Jasta to hide behind, so be careful" he concluded.

Jimmy and the other pilots sat ready, lined up and ready to go. One by one they took off and headed towards La Cheppe where they'd form up and climb.

All seemed quiet up top as Jimmy searched as he climbed up. They reached 4000 meters and turned to set off for Ferme d'Alger airfield.

Not long after this, through a wall of cloud on Jimmy's left, a whole Jasta's worth of aircraft suddenly appeared through the cloud. They were getting peppered by flak and didn't appear to have seen the 103rd yet.

"Jeez they're virtually right on top of us" said Jimmy to himself. He had to alert the others and fast. He fired his gun and pointed left. By this time he was already turning into the Germans who had now spotted the SPADs.

Jimmy blazed right through the incoming Albatros scouts and then climbed, swinging his tail around. He picked a target as the rest of 103rd now joined the fray.

He swooped down at the enemy aircraft and scored some hits. Another pass did likewise, the German lurched over. Jimmy watched, had he hit his wires? Then he saw the German level out and run for home but Jimmy was having none of it. He dived onto the Albatros and put a long burst into him. This time the Albatros fell to the side and Jimmy watched as it crashed into the ground north of La Cheppe.

Jimmy looked around he could still see aircraft back towards La Cheppe and he climbed up to a reasonable height and headed over there.

He could see a single aircraft with flak bursting around it, he then saw another aircraft below this one. He watched as the German dived onto the aircraft below. Jimmy nosed down and raced towards them. He was nearly there but then saw the Albatros behind the SPAD. He could do nothing as the other SPAD nosed down and into the ground. Jimmy's blood was up now and he looked for the German who had to be below him somewhere.

There! He saw the Albatros scuttling away, apparently unaware of Jimmy's presence above him.

Jimmy set himself and then dived at full pelt at the unsuspecting Albatros. He fired a long burst and could see bullets raking the German aircraft. The Albatros lurched over to the left and Jimmy watched as it plunged into the ground near La Cheppe.

Jimmy drew breath for the first time since he dived. He checked around and climbed. He could only find one more SPAD nearby and formed up, it turned out to be Major Thaw himself.

They finished the patrol together and then flew back to La Noblette.

Jimmy was happy to see several other SPADs had already made it back on landing.

He climbed down and headed in to clean up and file his report.

As well as Jimmy's two claims, five other claims were entered for the loss of one SPAD, 2nd Lieutenant Charles Dolan had been the one Jimmy saw go down.

The claims would need confirming.

As Jimmy sat in the mess with the others later on they heard the news that Lt Dolan was alive and recovering. A collective sigh went up, and a new round ordered.

Attached Files 1-1.jpg2-1.jpg3-1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

#4562123 - 04/01/21 12:51 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Albert - With five confirmed and two pending Jimmy is doing remarkably well for a newcomer. Methinks he'll be seeing some American bling quite soon. Super pics, and the one of the furball is particularly nice.

Epower - So Oliver managed to pull strings, (as he is wont to do), and got himself sent back to France. Was there ever a doubt? Just in time too, if the death rate at Ayr is any indication, though from the sounds of it your man got a handle on the Camel quickly enough. Just needed the proper Rees motivation. And 84 Squadron you say? He should enjoy his time right now with his old squadron mates at Flez, he won't be there for long given what the near future is about to bring. More great photos.

Fullofit - Rudi need not worry about his new drome being in German-held territory. Freddy and his crew were down that way twice today harassing the Kaiser's troops in the open country immediately west of your man's new digs and it is most definitely under Hun control. Who knows, they may get a chance to introduce themselves to each other in the air.

Carrick - Walter did well to get his mount back on solid ground before it lit up, but then that's one of the risks you take when you go for a fixer-upper like his.

As for Freddy and his lot, today they flew along the new lines from Arras to Corbie and back during two separate outings. Strafed and bombed Boche troops and convoys both times along the way, with no air Hun to be seen on either occasion. On the afternoon outing Abbott even managed to bring down another gasbag the enemy had just put up on the outskirts of Albert. Flamed quite nicely, it did. The big news of course, at least on this side of the mud, is the merging of the RFC and RNAS into the new Royal Air Force. There is resentment in both old camps, though far more of it coming from the pilots of the Senior Service. But the brass hats and the government are convinced this will streamline things. Time will tell, but it does seem apropos that it happened on All Fools' Day.

#4562157 - 04/01/21 04:31 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Albert - Small world indeed. As for a certain Scottish Redhead Femme Fatale making a musical appearance, Oliver has enough girl trouble as it is. Good thing he's wrangled his way back to France.

Fullofit - Hope the transfer to Never Never Land Aerodrome was a success. I think the game engine only moves the frontline at the beginning of the calendar month. I do wish they could change that given the magnitude and speed of advance during March 1918.

Lou - Yeah, spinning that Camel was quite an eye opener. That bad girl snaps as viciously as the old Warbirds KI-84. Very nasty and not in a good way.
Freddy is a full blooded balloonatic these days! That'll keep Kaiser Bill's army in the dark. At their rate of advance I bet the Huns have outrun their heavy artillery. New service is a mystery. I hope the uniforms aren't hideous.

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 63 of many

12 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

Settling back into life at Flez. The new Wolseley Viper engine packs quite a punch and doesn’t fall off as much at higher altitudes. Its low throaty growl is much different than the higher pitched standard Hispano. My new mount, C5333, is Vickers built and while not new, she’s still in fine condition. I’ve kept the ‘X’ as my identification. Corporal Woodley and 1/AM Evans are my Mechanic and Rigger.

[Linked Image]
I’m in a hut with Robin Grosvenor, Percy Hobson and William Henry “Harry” Brown.

Afternoon of test flights and sighting in the guns, followed by another orientation flight.

14 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

Two very enjoyable days flying with new mates tasked with “showing Captain Winningstad the lines.” Today was my first proper combat patrol. I have a roving commission as an attached pilot on refresher but I intend to fly as often as possible. Robin went on leave today so he missed the fun.

10.00 Fred Brown led Beauchamp-Proctor, Falkenburg, Johnson, Duke and Clear. Escort 1 Harry Tate from RFC-15 to bomb Hun positions east of Athies.

Lost Falkenburg and Johnson to engine troubles just after takeoff. No sign of the R.E.8. Circled for 15 minutes then Fred took us east on an offensive patrol. A-Flight swept ahead. SE of Monchy I could see 6 high dots, three of which then dove on A-Flight. By the time we reached the scrum, A-Flight had the situation well in hand so we climbed and chased after the three higher aircraft. Rumplers!

[Linked Image]
I floated a bit too high on my firing pass. Clear nearly rammed me.

[Linked Image]
I broke off as the others pressed home the attack

Returned to Flez with all three Rumplers in the bag. ‘A’ Flight accounted for all 3 Pfalz.

Work to do. I’m rusty and feel like I’m behind the game instead of anticipating my opponents moves.

15 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

9.45 Morning show to bomb the St. Quentin Rail Junction. Fred Brown leading B-P, Sorsoleil, Duke, Kyme, and Harry Brown.

[Linked Image]
B-Flight left Kaiser Bill’s marshalling yard a shambles

Fred took us toward friendly lines. We climbed to 11,000 then went back over looking for trouble. All quiet in Hunland. Too quiet. The Boche are planning something big.

16 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

9.45 Ground attacks continue. The entire squadron went up this morning. B-flight would bomb Masny Aerodrome. Brown led B-P, Falkenburg, Johnson, Clowes and Duke. A-Flight put up 6 more for top cover. No opposition into Masny.

[Linked Image]
We had no sooner smashed Masny aerodrome to bits when…

…six triplanes dropped down from height. Their timing was perfect. B-Flight were still reforming and the attack scattered us every which way. Three of the b*stards went after me! One had a top plane painted with black and white stripes like a zebra. For two minutes I was completely defensive; quick turns but not too far, scissoring, dodging, all the while trading what little altitude I had for more speed. C5333 sang like a drumhead as the bullets zipped through her canvas. Two triplanes had me bracketed, and cut off from the rest of the flight. I don’t know where the third Hun got off to.

I forced another overshoot, but this time the Huns were split far apart.

Time to go. I dove west for the lines, and ran for my life.

[Linked Image]
The two Triplanes swept me of out of Hunland like some vagrant set upon by dogs.

They kept nipping at my heels but the gap slowly opened to 400 yards. I risked a shallow climb and crossed the lines at 1600 feet. The Wolseley was boiling now but continued making 2000 rpm. Some ground fire over the Hun trenches but nothing vital hit. The triplanes followed despite the widening gap. They really didn’t want to let me go. It must have been their aerodrome we clobbered.

I’d passed west of Bapaume and was halfway to Albert when one of the Huns finally broke off and turned for home. I climbed slowly to 4000 ft then reversed and went round with the remaining German. Neither of us could gain the advantage. When I rolled away and sliced back toward where he should have been, he was gone! No Archie puffs, or pillar of smoke. Vanished completely!

What a fool I was going 1 v 1 against that triplane at low altitude. Stupid. Very stupid. If the Hun were a better pilot, I’d have been in real trouble.

17 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

Jimmy McCuddens’ younger brother Jack returned from leave late yesterday. The physical resemblance is uncanny. I shall keep an eye on him when we fly together.

10.50 Escort 8 DH4s from Naval 5 on a raid of Busigny aerodrome. The entire squadron was up. This was a test of Major Douglas’ large formation tactics. We split into 3 flights. B flight went in low with the bombers. The remaining two flights were stacked up with 54 Squadron camels and 48 Squadrons Brisfits who would work their way well east then attack back from up-sun. We were the bait, along with the DH4s. Scattered cloud tops sitting at 6000. Fred Brown led Sorsoleil, Falkenburg, Johnson, B-P and Clear.

Seven Albatri patrolled just south of Busigny, about 1000 feet above. They were flying north and didn’t see us. Fred Brown led us up to their altitude and closed from behind. 1000 yards out the Huns spotted us and turned to engage. I shot through and sat above the fight before picking out my Hun.

[Linked Image]
Two short bursts and one long one sent the Albatros spiraling to earth south of Peronne.

Linked up with Fred, Sorsoleil and Falkenburg and climbed back to 10000 before Fred took us over the lines. No sign of the Harry Tate or any other Huns.

The ruse worked like a charm. The high flights successfully worked east and slammed the trap shut.
A good day for 84 Squadron. Our wizened Recording Officer, Capt. J. H. Burke was a busy man preparing claims for 10 Huns. Ten! The Squadron total now stands at 97.

Wing confirmed all 10 Huns, one of which was my Albatros. One Hundred Thirteen.

18 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

No mists this morning. The entire squadron went up again to Busigny Aerodrome. A repeat of yesterday’s tactics but this time the Huns were ready. More than 40 came up in large formations, including the Baron and his Circus. Huge sprawling dogfight which ranged all the way down to Le Cateau.

3 miles into Hunland 5 Albatri burst out of the clouds. Confused scrap, visibility very poor. Put a 20 round burst into one. I didn’t follow him down. Albs scattered into the clouds. Circled for 5 minutes and found Johnson. Later we formed on Leask who had the remainder of B-Flight in tow. Locked horns with a gaggle of Pfalz. Shot one up. I circled at 3500 feet watching him fall out of control south of Busigny, his silver machine plainly visible against the mud. At the last minute he levelled out and ran for the aerodrome.

Too dangerous to chase him that low, but when I saw an SE fighting near the airfield, I dropped down to join the fight. Two more Pfalz! Johnson was on one. I hit the other with a long burst from 40 yards. The Lewis jammed but the Vickers finished the job.

Sorsoleil was last to land at Flez and went nose over but emerged unhurt. The camel pilot from 54 was not so fortunate.

[Linked Image]
The butcher’s bill was high for 54 Squadron. 5 pilots killed. The last died on the field.

Jack McCudden and Horace Payne failed to return. No word yet on their whereabouts.

3.30 Another Offensive patrol, this time from Briastre to Busigny. Leask led B-P, Johnson, Sorsoleil, Harry Brown and Duke. Rain squalls. Conditions barely flyable. Visibility very poor. Overflew 6 Pfalz who just popped out of the clouds.

[Linked Image]
A full drum of Lewis separated his top plane. I stuffed stick and rudder into the right corner and tensed for impact, but the wing fluttered harmlessly past.

[Linked Image]
Archie gave us hell all the way home.

B-Flight accounted for 5 of the 6 Huns. 84 Squadron had its century now. Afternoon Pfalz confirmed. One Hundred Fourteen.

No news about Jack or Payne. Neither made it back across the lines. I hope they may be taken prisoner.

#4562179 - 04/01/21 07:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

RAF Lou: Fixer upper ? Walters mount ( the D-111 a ) is more of a beater / junker. If the a/c was like a Woman the comparison would look like : A Fixer Upper and a Junker

Attached Files 6a0120a5c8d9a9970c0153929477b0970b  Witch !.jpg89d9bc561cfa25e2cd0fcbab93e9690b--hocus-pocus-movie-bette-midler witck II.jpg
#4562184 - 04/01/21 08:14 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory

April 1, 1918.

We had a Spad morning. The Jasta put up 7 a/c for Patrol and ran into Spads 2 Flights one High (5 ?) and one low. (3) Big confusing fight I shot at a few but not hits. End score 1 Spad destroyed 2 D-III damage 1 Albatross D-Va damaged.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-04-01 12-35-35-80.jpgCFS3 2021-04-01 12-55-16-32.jpgCFS3 2021-04-01 12-56-24-47.jpg
#4562194 - 04/02/21 12:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Epower, that was a fast spin cycle you put us through. So much has happened in (to us) such a short time.
Finally Oliver’s back where he belongs and just in time to enjoy the fireworks. It will be interesting to see how Mac’s brother gets along with Winningstad. Hopefully Oliver will make an impression on the lad.

Albert, oh the Spandaus will definitely have to be at the ready if Rudi is to stay alive for some time.
Looks like the Albatroses are no match for Jimmy, no matter their numbers. Keeping fingers crossed for the latest confirmations. More lovely shots.

Lou, a reliable scouting report from a Britisher. Rudi will have to take Freddy’s word for it. With a toothy grin like that, it must be a trustworthy bit of news.
So, no Hun air activity, huh? It’s probably because the German pilots are still settling in their new digs, formerly known as the enemy digs.

Epower again, despite Rudi’s account, the mission was a fiasco. There was no friendly aerodrome to land at and the flight was diverted back across the lines to land at a proper airfield. There was even an error message after the mission that the airfield does not exist on the list of German airfields. Just one day too early. As you say, the lines move on 1 April so now everything is ok and Fuchs can finally organize his closet in his new living quarters at Balatre.
Looks like Oliver is already getting himself into all sorts of trouble, as evidenced by the first screenshot. And that railyard - there was nothing left. I forget, do the SE’s carry bombs?
And again more trouble with the Dreideckers - Oliver can call himself Lucky for the reminder of the day. That’s right, Lucky Winningstad at your service.
And as always, congrats on the latest victories. Some exciting screenies.

#4562206 - 04/02/21 02:47 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Fullofit - Greatly relieved to hear that Rudi can now organize his closet. I would have thought he'd have a Batman for that sort of thing or is he a Sockenfalter?
Yes, SE5s do carry Cooper bombs. Makes Kaiser Bill's hangars and rail sheds go boom very nicely.

Oliver continues back to the future. Buckle up.

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 64 of many

20 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

No flying possible the past two days. Heavy mist continues with intermittent rain.

21 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

Jolted awake at 4.30 by tremendous sounds of bombardment. The Hun attack come at last. Flez still shrouded in heavy mist and no flying was possible until the early afternoon.

2.30 Offensive patrol West of St. Quentin. Fred Brown leading, B-P, Johnson, Sid Christian and myself. Jumped by 5 Albatri immediately after takeoff. Low attitude dogfight ensued. Got shot about twice but C5333 held fast. Attacked one Hun landing 20 rounds but was forced to break off when his comrade got behind me.

[Linked Image]

The fight was hard turns and snapshooting for a good three minutes before I finally got a track on another Albatros. Put half a drum of Lewis and some Vickers into him. He smoked then all at once plunged straight down and crashed east of Flez.

Found Christian but no others. Flight scattered. C5333 was well ventilated so we landed at Flez.

When B-Flight returned we had 5 Huns to our credit. A and C flights had bombed and strafed the attacking infantry. The Huns were pushing the PBI back from their frontline defenses with great success. News was spotty but from the sound of the guns Flez would soon be on the front line of the advance.

Albatros confirmed. One Hundred Fifteen.

22 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Flez, France

Heavy mist continued past noon. Conditions did not improve until 1.30 when the entire squadron went up on offensive patrol. Many indecisive combats. I had a good bead on a Triplane but the Lewis jammed. Fred Brown sent a Pfalz down out of control.

Late afternoon patrol at 4.40, with the full roster of 14 SE5s. Bombing and strafing the German infantry formations. Fifth army were in full retreat and the Hun were threatening to overrun Flez. We landed to the order to relocate to Champien Aerodrome. We could hear the guns very clearly now. The Boche were close.

The remainder of the squadron set off for Champien as the motor transport crews finished loading equipment onto the lorries and made good their escape. I stayed behind with Major Douglas helping him coordinate with the troupe of cyclists sent out as forward observers to keep track of the ever-changing frontline.

I’d no sooner returned to the Squadron office when one of these very bicyclists, 2/A.M. Knight, burst in reporting that he’d shot down a Hun! In a very matter of fact way, he told me how he’d been attacked by a low flying Albatros and after taking refuge in a ditch he’d returned fire with a rifle he’d found by the roadside. To his great surprise the Albatros engine stopped dead and the pilot made a forced landing in a nearby field. The Hun ran off but was later captured by nearby infantry. The Major immediately ordered a Crossley and two mechanics to investigate. After leaving instructions with the Royal Engineers to burn the machine, they returned confirming Knight’s story and noting a single bullet hole through the engine block.

The sound of the guns grew louder with each passing hour. Darkness approached when Major Douglas took a final telephone call from the O.C 22nd Wing, Lt. Col F.V. ‘Tony’ Holt. Colonel Holt was demanding updates which Major Douglas was not prepared to deliver, the Hun being at our doorstep.

The conversation became rather heated and, in the end, the Maj slammed down the phone and pointed toward the hangars. The last of the Ack Ems were loading up. We took off at 6.00 heading for Champien. Four hours later the German infantry captured Flez.

23 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Champien, France

Low attacks on the infantry this morning. Shot up some troops and a transport convoy.

[Linked Image]

More of the same this afternoon. All across the Somme, Fifth Army are in full retreat. The Huns are on the outskirts of Peronne. Landed to find orders to Vert Galand. This is not my idea of mobile warfare!

Hugh Saunders, another South African like Beauchamp-Proctor, returned from leave today. Everyone calls him ‘Dingbat’ though he seems levelheaded enough to me. I'm still Winningstad to the fellows, though Robin will occasionally call me Ripper.

24 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Vert Galand, France

9.50 Clouds and grey mist this morning. Flyable but the visibility was poor. Both A and B flight patrolled the old Somme battlefield at 6000 feet looking for ground targets. Silver and Red Pfalz attacked A-Flight. I dodged a Hun attacking me from the beam and caught him in a reverse.

[Linked Image]
"He fell thunderously, clawing the dust in his fingers."

Two other Huns fell, the rest fled. Fred Brown gathered B-Flight and we climbed west. Turning back towards Peronne we happened upon a second flight of the Silver and Red Pfalz. One got onto Harry Brown. I gave chase and Harry brought the Albatros right in front of my guns.

[Linked Image]
I gave him a 3 second burst from close range. He slumped in the cockpit

[Linked Image]
“and the mist mantled over his eyes, and the life left him.”

3.00 Heavy mist made tight formation flying and navigation almost impossible. Hit some groups of infantry on the Peronne Albert road. Conditions were so bad that Fred Brown landed us at what turned out to be Marieux. Winkley crashed his machine for the third time since I’ve been with the squadron.

B-Flight accounted for 5 Huns. Both Albatri confirmed. One Hundred Seventeen.

25 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Vert Galand, France

8.40 Robin is back from leave and led C Flight between Combles and Carnoy, bombing and machine gunning massed troops. Mixed it up with a flight of Albatri over Combles.

[Linked Image]
Two 30 round bursts separated his top plane.

I was immediately onto another Hun who was chasing Robin. I hit him with a short burst from 150 yards. When the Hun broke, Robin came round and chased him low.

[Linked Image]
Robin sent the Pfalz down. It was his 5th kill.

At lunch Major Douglas read a message from General Salmond:

“I wish as soon as you can after receipt of this, to send out your scout squadrons…on to the line Grevilliers-Martinpuich-Maricourt. These squadrons will bomb and shoot up everything they can see on the enemy’s side of the line. Very low flying is essential. All risks to be taken. Urgent.”

Afternoon patrol was exactly as ordered. It was our turn. Bombing and strafing all things German from Grenvilliers to Maricourt. The infantry sent up and absolute firestorm of small arms fire. All our machines returned with holes.

Albatros confirmed. One Hundred Eighteen.

After dinner we toasted Robin’s 5th victory then collapsed on our cots. This ground attack flying takes a tremendous mental toll. Everyone is tired.

26 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Vert Galand, France

Morning show was more ground attacks along the Bapaume – Albert road. Fred Brown led us on a merry chase after a pair of high two seaters which turned out to be Hannovers with their signature biplane tail.

[Linked Image]
I shot up the Hannover but it flew on. His partner returned the honors, creasing my right shoulder.

My arm was numb but I didn’t think it too bad. I came in for a second pass.

[Linked Image]
Fired from 200 yards range and to my surprise the Hun plunged straight down.

The shoulder wound was more serious than I realized. I flew the last 10 miles to Vert Galand left-handed. My right arm was hors du combat. Not enough for a wound stripe but it knocked me off flying for the remainder of the day. Greatly disappointed to miss the afternoon shows which had great success against the advancing Huns and set a new squadron record for ammunition expended. More than 13,000 rounds fired at the enemy!

27 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Vert Galand, France

Good flying conditions this morning. At 8.45 Fred Brown led Falkenburg, Sorsoleil, Dingbat and Clear on a patrol over the ever-changing front lines near the Somme. The Huns have taken Bray, overrun the airfield at Chipilly and now threaten Corbie. I couldn’t help but wonder as to the welfare of Madame de Rochefort and her family. Shoulder is painful but everything works as it should.

Huns are learning from the past few days and have hidden themselves more effectively. Over the Albert – Bapaume road we overflew 6 red-nosed silver Pfalz. Their Red top planes identified them as Jasta 18.

I stayed high, waiting for the right moment. I picked my man and dove to attack.

[Linked Image]
I made no vain cast. He fell in the trees east of Albert and his armor clattered upon him.

Formed with Fred Brown when I spied another Pfalz racing east. We gave chase and were nearly in firing range when a stray burst of AA file punched a hole in my petrol tank. I couldn’t be sure but I was at least 8 miles over. Climbing desperately to the west I clawed my way up to 4000 feet. The gravity tank was holed as well and the leaking petrol sprayed over my goggles.

[Linked Image]
The Wolseley breathed its last. I was a glider now, 6 miles behind the German lines.

Floating down over Bray, I saw a huge barrage landing on my line of travel. I turned southwest.

[Linked Image]
Cleared the lines and the Somme by a half mile and found a safe spot near the outskirts of Villers-Bretonneux

I fell in with some Australians who pushed C5333 behind a stone wall and out of sight of the Huns. Major Douglas dispatched a repair crew and ordered me to the Aerodrome at Conteville. No 84 Squadron were on the move once again.

It was dusk when I landed at the shell-holed field that was Conteville. No buildings in place, the officers shared a few tins of bully beef and those of us with flasks sent them around. I slept in my clothes in a nearby barn along with the rest of B flight. No. 84 Squadron smashed the previous day’s record delivering 20000 rounds to the Hun today.

Incredibly, the evening dispatch rider found us at our new home. He has a future as a special Courier. Yesterday’s Hannover denied. Today’s Pfalz confirmed. One Hundred Nineteen.

28 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France

I use the word aerodrome loosely. Conteville is more of an open field but the Royal Engineers have not been idle and during the night they erected the skeletons of two Bessonneaux. At the current rate, the REs will have them covered by this afternoon.

The NCOs and men of 84 squadron have done amazing work keeping all planes in condition to fly. Three moves in 6 days and very little sleep during that time. They must have emptied all the reserve motor transport parks to get so many squadrons moved in such a short time. A magnificent effort!

Weather cleared midafternoon and B Flight took off at 3.10 to bomb Hun positions and reserves coming from Arras. East of Doullens 6 Albs dropped in. I had one on my tail and had to jettison my Cooper bombs. I managed a reverse and put a burst into him from 60 yards. The Hun dove out. I was just about to follow when I saw another Albatros chasing an SE.

[Linked Image]
The Hun stalked Sid Christian. I closed and put 60 rounds into him from thirty yards.

He never saw me. The Albatros plunged straight down out of control. I lost sight of him against the trees. Collected Sid Christian and looked without success for any signs of a downed aircraft. C5333 was full of holes and I didn’t like the Hispano’s growling sound. Returned to Conteville. I thought I’d killed the German pilot but without seeing him crash I couldn’t be certain. No claim.

29 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France

Slept under a leaky tent last night. The NCOs and men are still roughing it. Conteville is playing host to no less than 4 RFC squadrons. In addition to ourselves, 65 (Camels), 24 (SE5s) and 48 (Brisfits) base here now. I’m not sure if Freddy is still with 65. When things quiet down I’ll go pay them a visit.

My right shoulder still hurts like hell and the rough conditions aren’t making it easy to keep clean. The MO looked concerned but said nothing as he cleaned the wound.

8.45 Ground attack. Robin led B-Flight with Dingbat, Harry and Dillingham. We were starting our takeoff roll when the bombs fell. Everybody got safely aloft. Three Huns were circling above at around 10000 feet. After a long chase, made more difficult by 4 Cooper bombs we closed with the enemy.

I was pouring fire into the leftmost Rumpler when both guns stopped. I cleared the Lewis easily but the Vickers locked up tight and it took me precious minutes to clear the stoppage.

[Linked Image]
Dillingham sent the wingless Rumpler down out of control.

Saunders, Dillingham and Harry were all badly shot about. They peeled away back toward Conteville. I flew Robin’s wing as we searched for targets. We were well into Hunland. Turning back over Bapaume we could see activity at the advanced landing ground there. Eight Cooper bombs and several hundred rounds of ammunition left two hangars on fire. The Huns were not amused and threw up and ungodly storm of Archie. We landed at Conteville with ears ringing but otherwise intact.

3.00 Attacked a troublesome Hun balloon southeast of Albert. A Flight flew top cover but we saw not a single e/a.

[Linked Image]
I got the gasbag smoking. Duke followed in and set it ablaze.

30 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France

9.45 Morning delivery of bombs and machine gun bullets to German infantry near Abaicourt. Heavy ground fire. I didn’t hear anything hit the engine but the Wolseley suddenly spat oil and started making a clanking noise.

[Linked Image]
I made my final turn to land at Allonville. The engine quit as I landed.

Didn’t get back to Conteville until late afternoon. Fred Brown is in hospital. His undercarriage collapsed on landing and he cut up his face badly. Now is not the time to lose an experienced Flight Commander.

31 March 1918
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France

C5333 made it back to Conteville on a lorry late last night but she’s out of action until her engine gets fixed. I flew B4894 today. The entire squadron went up in two flights to attack ground targets near Abaicourt. Delivered our bombs then attacked a group of 4 V-Strutters. Within minutes several flights of German and British aircraft arrived on the scene and a huge running air fight developed. When it ended nearly an hour later the 84 and 65 Squadron were masters of the air.

Dingbat Saunders sent a Pfalz down into the trees south of Rosières. Harry Brown shot down an Albatros who attacked Robin Grosvenor. I latched onto an older looking V-Strutter. He tried to break right but he had no airspeed. I fired 80-100 rounds as I closed the gap. The tracer stream arced directly onto his engine and cockpit.

[Linked Image]
“He fell as a tower falls in the strong encounter.”

Clear had quite the tale. He’d shot down a Pfalz but, in the process, hopelessly jammed both guns. He left the fight heading west. When no less that 14 Triplanes attacked him, he managed to outdistance them and get away. Speed is life.

Conteville is slowly coming to resemble an aerodrome. Tents sprout like mushrooms and more hangars are going up. The sailmaker patched the tent which I share with Grosvenor so we’re dry mostly. Captain Burke found us a large farmhouse not far away where we will mess for the time being. I’m not sure how long we’ll be here. Conteville is far from the action and the aerodrome can’t support 4 squadrons in its present form.

The Hun advance continues along the Somme though at a slower pace. They are close to Corbie now and very nearly within artillery range of Amiens.

Attached Files Alb 1 cross and sights.jpg
Last edited by epower; 06/02/21 04:40 PM.
#4562209 - 04/02/21 03:09 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Hey, current EOM stats for Oliver. I'm not sure that's ever happened.

Captain Oliver Alden Winningstad VC, DSO & bar, MC
84 Squadron RFC
Conteville, France
S.E.5a Wolseley Viper

305 missions
400.07 hours
119 victories
169 claims

#4562227 - 04/02/21 09:24 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - Jimmy's got a sharp eye and good timing, that probably comes from all that carpentry and engineering and he's not easily rattled. Those three things are making him into an effective fighter pilot.

As for Freddy, he's certainly doing his bit with all the ground strafing and balloon bursting and now he's now not only got a new uniform to try out but also a certain someone has dropped by at Conteville to accompany him in the squalor....enter Winningstad.

Carrick - quite a furball for Spatenbrau, but the Jasta came out on top at least.

Epower - So Oliver has certainly set his stall out on his return to the front. Doubting himself at first but doing the right thing by picking his fights. Now he's back full pelt and not before time with the German attack happening. What Oliver's now realised is that what he thought were busy skies in 1917, pale into nothing compared to spring 1918. He needs to be careful with all those low attacks, he just about managed to get back that time.

Now he's landed at Conteville, grab a tent and settle in.

#4562231 - 04/02/21 09:35 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
You guys racked up some quite impressive numbers there!

Much respect!

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
Page 271 of 366 1 2 269 270 271 272 273 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM