Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4562070 - 03/31/21 11:13 PM Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers?  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Title.

I'm curious if anyone actually flies bomber careers or flies as an observer, or if it's just scout only for you lot?

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4562074 - 04/01/21 12:09 AM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Used to have a lovely DiD career in a DH4 until I ripped the wings off after shooting down 5 Albs and ran out of ammo.
Then there was that Caudron DiD career in Verdun. Does Strutter count?

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4562086 - 04/01/21 05:31 AM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
I fancy about a Roland Pilot carreer.

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4562093 - 04/01/21 08:35 AM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
LtCasey - I've had many a good jaunt in the Roland it's good fun, fast enough to take on most scouts in mid/late 1916. It turns like a slab of stone though if you lose speed.

Fullofit - the Strutter definitely counts, I'm flying one for the French at the moment. I managed to find the earliest Esc to be equipped with them fully without joining as a top rank. Esc 123 in November 1916.

The Caudron, the FE2B, all good fun and don't forget, a lot of the aces got their first kills flying two seaters.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4562115 - 04/01/21 12:19 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

NotRelevant, I have done many careers over the years in OFF and WOFF as a bomber pilot, but then I'm an old B/R man at heart. The Roland is a killer, as is the Brisfit on the Entente side. But if you really want a challenge try the Gotha, that one is a handful and then some.

#4562121 - 04/01/21 12:38 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
AceMedic88 Offline
AceMedic88  Offline

Niagara Falls, NY
I've tried the RE8 a few times...safe to say those campaigns are rather brief

I got fired as the door man at a sperm bank.
Apparently it's in poor taste to tell leaving customers "Thanks for coming."

Former U.S. Army Medic - SGT.
#4562122 - 04/01/21 12:40 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

NotRelevant, I have done many careers over the years in OFF and WOFF as a bomber pilot, but then I'm an old B/R man at heart. The Roland is a killer, as is the Brisfit on the Entente side. But if you really want a challenge try the Gotha, that one is a handful and then some.

Think a Gotha career is going to be my new German career choice in BHaH II, Lou..I must be mad screwy biggrin

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4562126 - 04/01/21 12:58 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Adger, we prefer the term 'barmy' around here. biggrin

#4562127 - 04/01/21 01:14 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Speaking of Gothas chaps. Has anyone come up against one on the western front? Or do you only see them in Home Defence campaigns?

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4562129 - 04/01/21 01:20 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I've happened upon them several times in campaigns, up near the channel ports on historically correct dates. So, yes.

#4562131 - 04/01/21 01:30 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Thanks Lou, yes I've come up against them when trying Home Defence campaigns and the Quick Scenarios but not on the western front which would make sense if they're only active on the days (and nights) they were active historically, like 13th June 1917 for example, and not just flying random sorties.

#4562133 - 04/01/21 01:36 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

While I was flying in France and/or Belgium at the times I mentioned, it would make sense that you would likely only see the Gothas over these countries on their way across the Channel to bomb England. Although, there were some Gotha sorties against Paris, so perhaps if you had your timing right you would seem them along that route as well.

#4562146 - 04/01/21 03:57 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
jerbear Online content
jerbear  Online Content

I like to fly two-seaters, especially in a ground attack role.

Recon. and Artillery observation are not really supported in the Sim, although you are given missions of this type you can't really make a Recon. report or correct fall of shot.

You have to use your imagination..

This was a disappointment to me until it occurred to me that, as the pilot, I fly the plane, I don't observe fall of shot or even drop bombs. That's the job of your observer. My job is to get him to the target and allow him to do it. When bombing, if you turn autopilot on when you get him over the target he will do it very well indeed, you just have to give up a little control for awhile and stick your ego in your back pocket.

Ground attacks are different and you can take more control over it. On these missions, I drop the bombs at low level myself. I have an old thread somewhere on here that discusses them a little. Your Franz can do a good deal of damage with his moveable gun or guns if you put him in a good firing position.

Last edited by jerbear; 04/01/21 04:06 PM.
#4562165 - 04/01/21 05:09 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: jerbear]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Originally Posted by jerbear

This was a disappointment to me until it occurred to me that, as the pilot, I fly the plane, I don't observe fall of shot or even drop bombs. That's the job of your observer. My job is to get him to the target and allow him to do it.

True, but since this is a video game and not real life, it would be great if recon and artillery observation offered more than flying in circles around the target. It would give two-seater careers more viability/playability over fighter pilots.

#4562174 - 04/01/21 06:53 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ive flown some of them then switched to fighters. 3 careers were two seat only. A French C-4, Brit Sopwith 1 1/2 er, and a N-10 ? (what ever the 2 seat was called.} The 1 1/2er was the longest and victory's were piling up then POW.

Last edited by carrick58; 04/01/21 06:56 PM.
#4562178 - 04/01/21 07:06 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

I might just do a gotha at some point. Are there any like, sights? Or do you do it by just guessing. Or does the AI drop them.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4562181 - 04/01/21 07:31 PM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Originally Posted by NotRelevant
I might just do a gotha at some point. Are there any like, sights? Or do you do it by just guessing. Or does the AI drop them.

You can do either, drop them yourself or engage the autopilot and the AI will do it.

There is a bombsight mod which JJJ65 kindly updated to PE. It works really well and I use it a lot.

Obviously when the new version comes out, it would need reworking.

#4562212 - 04/02/21 03:22 AM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: orbyxP]  
catch Offline
catch  Offline

QLD, Australia
Originally Posted by jerbear

Recon. and Artillery observation are not really supported in the Sim, although you are given missions of this type you can't really make a Recon. report or correct fall of shot.

Originally Posted by orbyxP
[quote=jerbear]

it would be great if recon and artillery observation offered more than flying in circles around the target. It would give two-seater careers more viability/playability over fighter pilots.

I started a thread over on CA on this subject. The devs have yet to respond so maybe it cannot be done or not a high priority ? Pity, 'cause it would add a lot to the sim I think.

#4565526 - 04/22/21 08:16 AM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: LtCasey]  
xNightFlyerx Offline
xNightFlyerx  Offline

FL
Originally Posted by LtCasey
I fancy about a Roland Pilot carreer.
I recenly started a pilot in Roland. Flieger Rutger Moltke. Interesting plane to fly my poor pilot had rocky start and unfortunate end. 2nd mission crashed on takeoff sent to hospital for 8 days,4th mission forced down wounded,6th mission engine failure shortly after takeoff and final unlucky 7th forced down after being shot. I almost made it back to airfield, I thought I lost enemy but He snuck up on me and flamed my engine at treetop level. I rolled over and faceplant RIp. The observer was completely useless unfortunately He only fired one time.

#4565533 - 04/22/21 09:55 AM Re: Does anyone actually fly bomber/observer careers? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Hi Albert, I mostly fly as bomber/recon these days as I am getting old with slow reactions and decreasing eyesight, so I just get shot down a lot in fighters smile

Some time ago I created a set of 'historical mission types' that take the stock mission types for both fighters and bomber/recon and expand upon them to give a bit more variety, especially to bomber/recon careers, and add a bit of fun as well. These are available to download from Sandbaggers mods site in both the 'Bletchley' version and in a couple of other versions. I am using the Bletchley set in WOFF BH&H2 and they seem to work OK so far! Try them if you like, they need to be installed in WOFF and then activated in Workshop by clicking on '3rd Part Mission Types'.

B.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM