Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4562137 - 04/01/21 03:05 PM Rome Total War Remastered  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
What was probably the high point of the TW franchise; RTW "returns" with a facelift on 04/29.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/885970/Total_War_ROME_REMASTERED/

BTW, it's $15.00 USD thru May 31st if you already own the Steam version of the original.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4562140 - 04/01/21 03:28 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
For the strat map music it was a high point perhaps, but in no other way could I agree with that statement. For me every other Total War game is better, although I never played Shogun 1.

Rome 1 was my entry point in to the series, and I've since bought most of them. As good as it was in its day, I'd rate it at the bottom of the list of the ones I have.

Improved camera and more factions sounds good, but I have no plans to revisit this one.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4562151 - 04/01/21 04:08 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I pre-ordered it for the main reason that I never played the original Rome. Sure, I have Rome 2 and I've put over 3,000 hours into it but what piqued my interest with this one is that it has different playable factions and different play mechanics.

Having said that, what I REALLY want is a Shogun 3 and a Napoleon 2.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4562219 - 04/02/21 06:43 AM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: DBond]  
Destraex Offline
Destraex  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
For the strat map music it was a high point perhaps, but in no other way could I agree with that statement. For me every other Total War game is better, although I never played Shogun 1.

Rome 1 was my entry point in to the series, and I've since bought most of them. As good as it was in its day, I'd rate it at the bottom of the list of the ones I have.

Improved camera and more factions sounds good, but I have no plans to revisit this one.

Rome1 actually has a fair few features Rome2 does not. For example Rome1 had maps generated based on the terrain you were actually fighting on. Rome1 also had hold ground stance out of the box unlike rome2.
Rome1 was not a flag simulator like the later total war games became. I liked a lot of things in rome1 that instead of being built upon got removed from the total war series and made me put them down.

#4562248 - 04/02/21 12:17 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Rome 2 is one of the titles I skipped.

By saying that Rome 1 is the worst of the TW titles I have, I am not saying it's a bad game. And I'm sure the remaster will be an improvement, with UI changes, additional map modes and that sort of thing.

I agree that the battle map system was good, with terrain reflecting the region. But it was also a curse. Mountains with the enemy way at the top and you had to move your army up that hill for twenty minutes only to arrive exhausted. Those battle sucked hard. And sieges were terrible, especially on cities with walls.

When it came out, Rome 1 was a game-changer. It had many 'firsts' that we take for granted today. But with nostalgia-mode off I think it doesn't hold up well compared to titles that followed, starting with Med 2, and the excellent Atilla and Warhammer 2. Empire and Napoleon, for all their faults, are much better TW games too in my view. I think that's natural, with Rome 1 out in 2004 and those other games much later.

Med 2 is the best comparison, coming two years later (I think). But Med 2 was a huge improvement for me over Rome 1. Who knows, I said I had no plans to revisit it, but maybe I will, just for old times' sake. It might be fun to return to it if it has the QoL improvements I expect it will. I'll wait and see what you lot think of it.

#4562249 - 04/02/21 12:35 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I put in over 4,000 hours with TW: Atilla. It remains to date my favorite TW title. It just simply pushed all of the right buttons for me.

The only common complaint I saw from gamers who didn't bother buying Atilla is that they were just simply not interested in the historical period.

I never played Medieval or Medieval II but at least I played TW: Britannia which is close enough. wink

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/02/21 12:36 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4562257 - 04/02/21 01:46 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Med 2 is easily my most-played TW title, though with Warhammer 2 passing 1000 hours it is narrowing the gap.

I know you mean Britannia is close enough due to the time frame, but Med 2 was a very different game. For example how the leader traits worked, and having to decide on whether a city would be civic or military, governors and generals. Replenishment required you to return to the city that built them. There was no replenishment in the field, you merged units for that. The Med 2 campaign was great, more strategic than many others. It had its weaknesses (looking at you Pope and your minions), but I loved the campaign.

Atilla also has a fantastic campaign. Winning it as WRE is right at the top of my most memorable TW runs. And it still has the only horde play that I've really liked in the series.
I've done this here before, with a 'what's you favorite TW title' thread. But here's how I see it for the ones I have played

Warhammer 2 -- This gets top spot due to the insane replayability, the factionality as I call it where each is so unique and interesting. It has a diversity that no other TW title has. I like historical titles, but Warhammer threw off the history shackles and CA responded in style. I waited a long time to try it, being a historical snob. But once I gave it a go I realized it was the best game in the series. I must say though that the battle maps are pretty bad.

Atilla -- Fantastic campaign and good variety. Probably the best strategic AI of the ones I have played. Probably the best city management mechanics in Total War. Interesting horde/nomad mechanics.

Medieval 2 -- Wonderful traits system, great campaign. It was the last TW game before things like city planning and recruitment were streamlined for QoL. Very strategic campaign play.

Napoleon -- I seem to like this one better than most players. I like the campaign, and even the mini-campaigns. Replenishment system is my favorite in the series. Naval combat was still pretty poor, but it was better than Shogun and Empire! I played this one mainly using Darth Mod (which I do not like on other titles). Being a gunpowder title I found it more tactical on the battlefield, with terrain features being more important. While the campaign may have been a bit sterile, the battles were among my favorites in Total War. Staccato reports from the firearms building to a crescendo and smoke everywhere. For me, this is TW's battle sweetspot.

Shogun 2 -- With FotS expansion it became much better. CA did a great job on this one with the period flavor, and being set during the transition from steel to gunpowder is one of its biggest strengths. Aside from Warhammer and also Atilla, there is little asymmetric warfare in the series. But Shogun 2 found it and it helps boost this one up the list. Good thing too because agent spam was horrible, and the naval trade node thing was one of CAs biggest missteps in the series. And don't get me started on Realm Divide.

Empire -- A strange game, this. Too ambitious, surely. The campaign suffered from its scope, and the naval side was pretty poor. But like Nappy, the gunpowder land combat was a lot of fun.

Warhammer -- Compared to WH2 it just doesn't hold up. But it still has its charms, and honestly the fact you can combine it with WH2 in the Mortal Empires campaign is the best thing about it. It had some frustrating limitations such as the suitable terrain/climate mechanic. All of this was ironed out in WH 2, but WH1 is still a pretty good game. Just glad I get to play these factions in WH2 instead.

Rome 1 -- My entry point. I really loved playing this game. The combination of strategy and tactical play blew me away. CA hit on a winning formula, and Rome 1 took it to 3D. Fantastic music, and fun campaign, but let down by some of the things I listed earlier, such as sieges and just the fact it is so old now, which may be remedied by the remaster. Barbarian Invasion was a big improvement and made it a better experience.

I won't list the saga titles, so that means I am leaving out Shogun 1, Med 1, Rome 2, and Three Kingdoms. Of these Three Kingdoms is the one I am most interested in giving a go. I like what I read about it and I think I'd really like it. Warhammer 3 is what I am looking forward to, but I think I will get Three Kingdoms at some point when it's on sale. The campaign sounds really good in this one.

#4562261 - 04/02/21 02:47 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Atilla also has a fantastic campaign. Winning it as WRE is right at the top of my most memorable TW runs. And it still has the only horde play that I've really liked in the series.
I've done this here before, with a 'what's you favorite TW title' thread. But here's how I see it for the ones I have played

About 6 months ago I replayed the WRE campaign on "normal" difficulty and I was able to win it. I played it all the way to 450 AD too! Having said that, my most enjoyable campaign was playing as the ERE.

Concerning Napoleon TW, I absolutely had the most fun playing as France. I just loved the challenge of facing off against a Coalition of multiple empires/countries and smacking them down one at a time. The key to winning as France is to placate Prussia long enough to delay their inevitable declaration of war on you so you have time to deal with Austria, Britain and Russia.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/02/21 02:49 PM.

#4562280 - 04/02/21 04:54 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, France was good. They had a great starting location and no threats at their backs. Still I think my most memorable run from Nappy was a Prussia game. Such a poor starting position, surrounded by enemies. But that's the challenge.

I played a number of campaigns in both Atilla and AoC. The two I liked best were WRE as mentioned and Ostrogoths. The emerging narrative of the Ostrogoths run was a lot of fun. I had a look at that thread and saw I wrapped up the WRE run in 425.

Here's the thread which details both of these runs

https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4377780/1

#4562281 - 04/02/21 05:06 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
and AoC.

Based on the posts I read in the official TW forums it seemed that quite a bit of TW players didn't care for Age of Charlemagne. I personally saw no problems with it. My two favorite factions in that one are the Caliphate of Corboda and Charlemagne. It was especially interesting playing as Cordoba since the buildings and units had their very distinctive Islamic influences.

#4562349 - 04/03/21 12:13 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Perhaps I've got a nostalgia soft spot for RTW - probably due in large part to the excrement that as RTW2.

RTW had:
- the aforementioned battle maps determine by strat map position.
- General speeches
- pike phalanxes that worked
- pila mechanics that worked
- characters that you cared about

RTW2 had:
- pretty units - after 17 patches
- and...umm...that's about it

So, for $15 bucks and the expectation that modders will do their thing once again, I'm in.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4562507 - 04/04/21 06:48 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4562591 - 04/05/21 10:25 AM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x

It's looking like my $30 investment will be well worth it!

#4562623 - 04/05/21 01:58 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
After playing a ton of warhammer lately, I'm looking forward to a Total War where cities had populations and recruiting armies ate into that so new armies don't just keep popping into existence out of thin air. I think Britannia was the only other one that did that.

#4562628 - 04/05/21 02:17 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: wormfood]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wormfood
I think Britannia was the only other one that did that.

I believe you are referring to the occasional marauding Viking invasion fleets that would come from Scandinavia. If you play the campaign long enough, you'll also get a Norman invasion fleet on the southern coast of Britain.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 04/05/21 02:17 PM.

#4562649 - 04/05/21 05:43 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
...and EVEN more nice changes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px24Ak9GJ6c&ab_channel=WarriorofSparta

Gotta hand it to Feral for actually listening to the customer base. Lord knows CA rarely did.

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4565149 - 04/19/21 01:49 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Take a stroll around Rome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpEdmO3Pbno&ab_channel=WarriorofSparta

Glad to see this is still in the game.

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4565150 - 04/19/21 02:01 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Very nice! Can't wait to play this especially since I never played the original Rome release.

#4566283 - 04/27/21 08:29 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Pre-loading available on Steam now.

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4566344 - 04/28/21 01:06 PM Re: Rome Total War Remastered [Re: Barkhorn1x]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Barkhorn1x
Pre-loading available on Steam now.

Thanks for that info. I'll pre-load today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.