Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 270 of 366 1 2 268 269 270 271 272 365 366
#4561711 - 03/29/21 12:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Albert - A doozy indeed. Good job on that Boche gasbag. So who's this Ricky Becker fellow from the 94th and will we be seeing more of him? Another fine group of screenshots. And "Monsieur Louvert", well that one made me laugh. To be fair it was actually Monsieur Geezer who designed the fort, Monsieur Louvert was only responsible for placement of said fort in its current location.

LtCasey - I have to agree with Albert on what the actual nickname for Arnold Gärtner is likely to be. But hey, as long as he does his best für Kaiser und Vaterland it doesn't really matter what they choose to call him.

Raine - Nice to see a report from Mac, it's been a while. And a move to Bray Dunes you say, I hear that's a nice place, well developed too. Also, next to the situation at the front the news of the impending merger is THE topic of conversation in the mess among Freddy's crew as well, or it would be if they actually had a mess. Too bad about Ross, but perhaps he's only been captured. And glad you enjoyed the song, I think it may be destined to become a real chart topper.

Fullofit - Wowzers! So it's reached the point that when the French see Rudi coming they choose to commit suicide by crashing into each other rather than fight him. Talk about a reputation. Also, at the rate your man is going through those Spads it might be a smart investment to buy stock in the Société Pour L'Aviation et ses Dérivés. Their orders for new planes have to be going through the roof about now. As to Fuchs latest claims, if HQ gives him a break he'll be over the 60 mark! Now then, about this Feldwebel with the Charlie Chaplin soup strainer, he sounds vaguely familiar.

29 March 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Conteville, France

Planes and men everywhere and nowhere to house any of them. This was the situation in spades by yesterday's end when, in addition to 65 Squadron's arrival, three more outfits had also shown up: 48 Squadron with their Bristol Fighters, along with the S.E.5s of both 24 and 84 Squadrons. What was HQ thinking? Officers and men alike ended up sleeping wherever they could find shelter from the rain; underneath planes, tarps, trees, or in barns and sheds within walking distance; a lucky few officers managed actual beds in nearby farmhouses, but Captain Abbott was not one of them. He had hunkered down in his flying kit, tucked under a lean-to on the back of a small house, managing a fairly sound night's sleep in spite of the rugged accommodations. As for food, there wasn't any, apart from what one might have had stuffed in one's pocket or in one's kit.

This morning the wind was blowing a gale, hampering the Royal Engineers best efforts to put up the Bessonneaus. But they persisted in true RE fashion and by early afternoon had a pair of hangars erected and ready for service, much to the relief of the Ack Emmas. Shortly thereafter the winds subsided enough so that planes could get aloft at which point Freddy and 'B' Flight went for a tour of the front to the south, to see for themselves the situation there. It looked quite awful, although the Hun momentum had at last been halted, but not before they'd pushed some thirty miles west all the way beyond Montdidier. Bapaume, Albert, Peronne, Noyon - all were now in the hands of the Boche. To the north Arras had held out against the onslaught, so a bright spot there. From the looks of things, at least from the air, the enemy was now stalled out and in the process of digging in along their new positions. Perhaps they'd outpaced their own supply lines in the rapid push. If so, their recent victories could be short-lived.

#4561738 - 03/29/21 03:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Lou - Blimey, that place sounds more like summer camp with the Territorials at the moment. Trust the RE's to get them into shape asap though. As for the battle, it's taken the Germans a few days to capture what it took the BEF four months, that must be demoralising. It's about time Haig had something to say on the matter.

All the more reason to get the pilots sorted and hitting the enemy, buck the PBI up at least.

Yes it was only a passing conversation with the members of the 94th but he seemed quite a character, Pershing's old driver apparently.....or some perishing General anyway.

Great MOD btw.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4561746 - 03/29/21 04:07 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
@Albert

Arnie IS there on behalf of His father, rather than volunteering. His Das,an old hessian colonel of the cavalary wanted him to join the same.
But he refused.
He talked his father into allowing him to join the Kampfflieger. He fancies about having time between the missions to Paint and have time for the Mademoiselles. He earned his nickname against a Strongmann on a fairy ground battle.
He Hit the deck after the First 10seconds, being Hit on the Chin. Lucky Arnie.!
Currently he is in transfer to the front.

Last edited by LtCasey; 03/29/21 05:02 PM.

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4561767 - 03/29/21 06:21 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
R.Talbot Offline
R.Talbot  Offline

Good stuff. Been catching up. I should have a post up today.

Is this thread going to move over to the other place by chance?

Last edited by R.Talbot; 03/29/21 06:21 PM.
#4561775 - 03/29/21 06:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Albert - Jimmy continues well, I see. Kaiser bill is short one sausage! That Rick Bacher fellow has an even more Hunnish sounding name than Winningstad. Superb screens made all the more dramatic by the under the bridge motif provided by the SPAD's forward view. Great story.

Lt. Casey - A very warm DID welcome to you and Ahnold! Looking forward to his adventures. Glad you decided to dive on in.

Raine - Uh oh. Mac got himself some serious distraction going on here having won the affection love of the fair Bronwyn. He needs to stay focused. What's with the brass hats sending the squadron on a tail chasing expedition. Don't these Donkeys know there's a war on? Unfortunate about poor Ross and the unconfirmed kill.

Fullofit - Rudi is taking the "Hun" thing a bit too far, don't you think? I mean his latest rampage hearkens back to the original - Attilla, scourge of God himself. I'm still drooling, and will continue to do so, at the tight dispersion from the Camel and DR1. Some excellent shooting. Now about that claims office...

Carrick - Mein Gott! Another sessions of disciplinary nursing for your man. Maybe Lt. Casey can provide one of those marvelous German compound words with that meaning. I just discovered Abschiedsheuler (def. a man who wails at farewells) while looking for the answer.

Lou - All these moves. I see that Hurry up and Wait is not a new military concept. This Conteville sounds a very nasty place indeed. Sure hope Oliver doesn't end up in similar circumstances. Yeesh.

R. Talbot - Good to see you back.

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 61 of many

21 January 1918
School of Aerial Fighting
Ayr, Scotland

Arrived at the School for Aerial Fighting. Gorgeous country, the Ayrshire coast. The mid-morning light illuminated both the sea and far off to the south, the giant rock of Ailsa Craig. I presented myself to my new commanding officer.

[Linked Image]
Lt. Col. Lionel W B Rees VC MC O.C. No. 1 School of Aerial Fighting

Colonel Rees is a larger than life figure. One of the early legends of the RFC, he won his MC in 1915, and his VC a year later during the Somme Offensive. He continues flying daily, mostly scrapping with students, and retains all his skills.

[Linked Image]

Arrived in Ayr to learn that Gerald Constable Maxwell, Leonard Barlow, and Ian Henderson are also posted here as instructors. 56 is well represented.

They had some bad news which hadn’t reached me: Richard Maybery was killed on 19 December. Flak, just like Clement. God Dammit to hell! Richard was tired. His judgment was impaired and ever the cavalryman he always went charging in, irrespective of the odds. Why didn’t he take Beery’s leave?! He should still be alive.

One week after Richard went west the Huns dropped a note confirming what I already knew. Arthur was dead.

2 February 1918
Ayr, Scotland

My assigned training flight are in SE5 but I’ve been spending much of my free in a Camel. After many months flying the Hisso I needed some time to get used to a rotary engine with such torque. She’s a twitchy thing but that turn to the right is impossible to match. Boy, did she did snap on me the other day. Scared the hell out of me with how quickly she departed.

We have a number of the Bristol Monoplanes here. I flew one for the first time today. What a lovely thing. She’s a slight fragile looking creature but zooms like mad and flies as fast as whistling death. I was making 130 mph at 3000 feet! I fought a mock combat today against Foggy (Captain C.E. Foggin), he in the Bristol and I in an SE5a. He gave me a right good thrashing. There was nothing I could do to gain advantage against him in the Bristol. This plane was built in mid-Summer of 1916! The RFC might have had air supremacy in the Spring of 1917 if the Bristol had been produced in numbers. My God! Bloody April would have been on the Huns! Why in the Seven Hells was this aircraft held back?!

[Linked Image]

4 February 1918
Ayr, Scotland

Days follow an easy and enjoyable routine here. The airfield is the infield of the Ayr racetrack just outside Ayr town itself. So many different aircraft to fly here. I’ve been indulging myself during off hours. I don’t care for the SPAD. Excellent power but the view is dreadful. I do love the Camel, though I wish she were faster. The SE might not be the most aerobatic machine but she can outrun any Hun machine and her high-altitude performance, especially with the newer Viper engines allows engaging and disengaging almost at will. I can’t wait to get some time in the Sopwith Dolphin.
Most days are filled with stunt fighting and air to air instruction. I have my assigned flight and after taking the student up in dual instruction against another instructor we let them get at it. First in dual then with their own aircraft. The Hythe Camera gun is invaluable in training.

[Linked Image]

I’m trying to let the students find their own way without burdening them with too many strictures. It’s still easy for me to get ahead of myself and feed them too much information. I need to keep it simple. I don’t have enough time to teach anything but the basics of survival. Most of them have blinders on when in the air, like we all did at that stage. As if they’re viewing the world by looking through the wrong end of a telescope. At least the graduates will go to France with twice as many hours as I had. I hope my teaching will keep them alive long enough to develop better situational awareness.

Barlow left on January 23rd for the Martlesham aeroplane testing station. Keith Muspratt, one of the two remaining “Children” is also there as a test pilot. I’ve moved into Barlow’s vacant room in a large house with Gerald Maxwell, Ed Zink, James Latta and Ian Henderson. Days follow and easy routine here with plenty of time for socializing and sport especially on weekends. Maxwell has taken to playing Lacrosse. How ironic that the son of Scotland is obsessed with Americas oldest game. I’ve arranged a bag in one of the hangars and have resumed training. Maxwell, who was not only a Lovat scout at Gallipoli, but is the nephew of Lord Lovat himself has started Jiu Jitsu lessons. I’ve been showing him some of Mr. Fairbairn’s techniques as well.

[Linked Image]

James Latta’s family home, Failford House is just 5 miles from the aerodrome. He took us to meet his family this past Saturday. His younger sister Mary is quite the lovely. She’s going to be trouble for somebody but it won't be me!

6 February 1918
Ayr, Scotland

Leonard Barlow is dead. The Sopwith Dolphin he was testing yesterday at Martlesham Heath lost both wings at 150 feet. Muspratt telephoned with the news. I can’t understand how men must still die in these senseless accidents.

13 February 1918
Ayr, Scotland

Barlow’s death sent me into a black mood which a week later still lingers. The dreams have started again. Mercifully, the Arthur dream is not among them. The news confirming his death was almost a blessed release. No more wondering. The mock combats I fight here each day are but a prelude to those I contest nightly in the skies of France. As much as I enjoy teaching the students, I feel like I’m being wasted here. I miss the battle.

Had a near collision with one of the new students today. If I’m going to die it should be fighting the Hun!

I must get back to France.

Last edited by epower; 05/03/23 03:18 AM.
#4561791 - 03/29/21 07:44 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
English Translation after the German Text. Hope its readable. Have Fun!

Feldwebel Arnold Gärtner

Jasta5
Lieramont

Die Ankunft

Der Zug stoppte erneut, mehr eine Notbremsung als ein sanftes Ausrollen. Die Suchscheinwerfer erhellten den Himmel, zuckten über die leichten Wolkenschleier.
Der Schaffner huschte an den beiden Feldwebel vorbei, raunte etwas von Bombenangriff der Engländer und das es gleich weitergeht.
"Wir sind zwei Tage seit Frankfurt unterwegs, wir sollten uns vorstellen? Otto Reichert ist mein Name, unterwegs nach Lieramont zur Jasta 5 und Du?" Er reichte den Flachmann rüber.
Arnold Gärtner, ebenfalls unterwegs zur Jasta5."
Der Zug zog wieder an und die letzten Kilometer bis zu dem winzigen Städtchen an der Somme verliefen ohne Zwischenfall.

Mutterseelenalleine standen die Soldaten am Bahnhof, die feuchte Luft der Nordsee ließ die Feldwebel frösteln. Die Nacht war mondlos und dunkel. Sie schlugen Ihre Mantelkragen hoch, und steuerten den nächsten Gasthof an, um den Weg zum Flugfeld zu erfragen.
Feldwebel Reichert wartete mit dem Gepäck draussen, während Gärtner die Auskunft einholte.

"Wir müssen ca 2km die Strasse runter, da wird ein Wegweiser stehen. Ich hoffe wir übersehen ihn in der Dunkelheit nicht."

Wortlos zogen die Soldaten mit ihrem Gepäck die Straße entlang und erreichten nach einer halben Stunde den Wegweiser und die Abzweigung. Weitere fünf Minuten später standen sie an einem Feldposten, der Ihre Papiere mit der Liste für neue Rekruten abglich.
"Melden Sie sich im Zelt dort!" Er zeigte auf das einzigste beleuchtete Zelt. "Der Wachhabende wird sie einweisen."

Es war 01:30h und die Feldwebel standen seit dreißig Minuten im Stillgestanden. Ihr Gegenüber, Oberst Richard Flashar, Kommandant des Flugfeldes war wenig amüsiert, über die nächtliche Störung. "Sie beide wollen mir also weismachen, das Sie zwei Tage von Frankfurt bis hierher gebraucht haben? UNFUG! Sie haben sich amüsiert, Sie beide riechen ja wie ein Rumfass! Ihr Zelt ist das vorletzte!" Er fuchtelte mit den Armen in der Gegend rum.
"Antreten ist um 07:00h, packen Sie Ihre Koffer nicht aus, bevor Sie hier nicht mindestens eine Woche überlebt haben! So haben wir weniger Arbeit Ihre Habseligkeiten zurückzuführen! Ich werde morgen mit dem Chef-Mechaniker reden, ob wir flugfähige Maschinen haben, die nicht von irgendwelchen Kugeln zersiebt sind, und das Benzin im Tank bleibt. Ich gehe davon aus, das Sie noch keine Erfahrung mit der Albatros oder der Pfalz haben?" Der Offizier funkelte Sie an.
"NEIN, Herr Oberst!!" antworteten die Feldwebel unisono.
"Na prima! Ich habe in drei Tagen fünf erstklassige Helden des Vaterlandes verloren, und was bekomme ich? Zwei Grünschnäbel mit je 10h Flugerfahrung! Hurra, der Kaier liebt uns, aber das Oberkommando nicht! Gehen Sie mir aus den Augen!"
Die Feldwebel verließen fluchtartig das Zelt.....

The arrival

The train stopped again, more like an emergency stop than a gentle coasting. The searchlights lit the sky, flicked over the light haze of clouds.
The conductor scurried past the two sergeants, whispered something about the British bombing raid and that it was about to go on.
"We have been on the road for two days since Frankfurt, we should introduce ourselves? Otto Reichert is my name, on the way to Lieramont for Jasta 5 and you?" He passed the flask over. Arnold Gärtner, also on his way to Jasta5. "
The train picked up again and the last few kilometers to the tiny town on the Somme went without incident.

The soldiers stood all alone at the station, the humid air of the North Sea made the sergeants shiver. The night was moonless and dark. They turned up the collar of their coats and headed for the nearest inn to inquire about the way to the airfield. Sergeant Reichert waited outside with the luggage while Gärtner obtained the information. "We have to go about 2km down the street, there will be a signpost. I hope we don't miss it in the dark."
Without a word, the soldiers marched down the street with their luggage and after half an hour they reached the signpost and the junction. Another five minutes later they stood at a field post checking their papers against the list of new recruits. "Report to the tent there!" He pointed to the only lighted tent. "The guard on duty will instruct you."

It was 1.30 a.m. and the sergeants had stood still for thirty minutes. Their counterpart, Colonel Richard Flashar, commandant of the airfield, was not very amused by the nightly disturbance. "So you both want to make me believe that it took you two days from Frankfurt to get here? NAUGHTER! You enjoyed yourself, you both smell like a barrel of rum! Your tent is the penultimate one!" He waved his arms around. "Line up is at 07:00, don't unpack your bags before you've survived here for at least a week! This way we have less work to do to get your belongings back! Tomorrow I'll talk to the chief mechanic to see if we have airworthy machines. that are not crushed by any bullets, and the gasoline remains in the tank. I assume that you have no experience with the Albatros or the Pfalz? " The officer glared at them. "NO, Colonel !!" answered the sergeants in unison.
Well fine! I lost five first-class heroes of the fatherland in three days, and what do I get? Two greenhorns with 10 hours of flight experience each! Hurray, the emperor loves us, but not the high command! Get out of my sight! " The sergeants fled the tent .....

Last edited by LtCasey; 03/29/21 07:51 PM.

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4561795 - 03/29/21 08:03 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Carrick - Mein Gott! Another sessions of disciplinary nursing for your man. Maybe Lt. Casey can provide one of those marvelous German compound words with that meaning. I just discovered Abschiedsheuler (def. a man who wails at farewells) while looking for the answer

Lol.....no there is no such Word! At least none. I know of. And that Word that comes to my mind ist NOT suitable for this Board and audience.😆😉

Last edited by LtCasey; 03/29/21 08:04 PM.

#4561803 - 03/29/21 09:43 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Epower - apparently Rickenbacker's name was a little too German when he first came to England as well. He was quizzed by police and held up for a short while.

Lt Col Lionel Rees, ace in the Gunbus and VC winner in the DH2. Fine man to lead a school of aerial fighting.

Your man seemed to be fine until that training death on 6th Feb, he's used to bad news from the front even when it's personally gaulling, but seeing young men killed before they've even flown in anger, or aces practicing in new machines. I'm not surprised he wants to go back.....brings it all back home....how fragile it all is... hanging in the air with a bit of wood and canvas.

LtCasey - your commandant seems an interesting character. Perhaps turning up at 1.30am smelling of rum wasn't the best start. If your on parade again at 7am I'd worry about it later and get some shut eye.

Last edited by Albert Tross; 03/29/21 10:10 PM. Reason: corrected text

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4561807 - 03/29/21 09:59 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Albert - It's even worse than that. Leonard Barlow was a squadron mate of Oliver's in 56.

#4561808 - 03/29/21 10:09 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Yeah sorry mate, that should have read ......or ACES practicing in new machines. Changed now.

#4561812 - 03/30/21 12:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, too bad about that Pfalz. No matter, George now has something else to aim at: one schoolteacher’s hart.

Albert, whatever the name of that new tactic the French have developed, it seems to be working.
So, a gasbag affair. Always full of excitement missions of this sort. And more Yanks! They are starting to get more numerous over there. Lovely set of pics.

Lou, better start buying those stocks in the Société, but remember to dump them as soon as war is over. And it is true, Rudi’s broken that 60 mark. HQ’s been kind to him this time.
So, Conteville continues to be a miserable hole in the ground. No food, no shelter and rain. No wonder the Germans are winning! I’m sure they’re scouting all those good aerodromes that the Brits have left in such a hurry.

R.Talbot, don’t be a stranger.
As to your question - it’s up to Raine, I suppose.

Epower, well ... LtCasey’s pilot is getting a nickname already, why not Rudi? Attila suits him just fine. As to the claims board ... it’s hit and miss, very unlike that Camel dispersion.
So, does Oliver feel the need? The need for speed? Those advanced combat maneuvers will put hair on your chest and against a Bullet, no less. It’s a mystery why that plane was skipped over. On the other hand if they had, we may never had seen other planes. They had a winner on their hands, why bother with Camel?
Shame about Barlow. Keep Oliver’s butt safe.
Lovely bit of research there.

LtCasey, well done. Investors enjoyed comparing the German report to its English version.
It’s interesting you are translating Kaiser, or the ranks.
It looks like Arnie’s C.O is a hardass. He will have to work hard to earn his respect. Looking forward to his first flight and first combat.

29 March, 1918 09:45
Fontaine-Uterte, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
63 confirmed kills

All planes claimed yesterday have been confirmed. It is a rollercoaster with the claims board. With the claim confirmations also came Rudi’s promotion to the rank of Oberleutnant.

“- What’s the matter with you?” Tybelsky dropped beside Rudi at their usual table in the Kasino.
The young pilot wasn’t himself since his return from today’s mission. He picked up a drink and began his story:
“- We were sent to intercept enemy planes crossing the lines near Gonnelieu. There was a thick cloud layer below and blue skies above. We were near the top of those clouds when we spotted them even higher than us. It all started well enough. They came down to meet us and the furball was in full swing. Airplanes everywhere. I tried to stay away from the epicentre as much as I could. It would have been easy to collide with just about anyone. But then I targeted one of the SPADs and began my hunt. I put a few rounds in him before another one of the devils fired at me as he went by. I would not stand for this. My original target quickly forgotten I went instead after my attacker. I returned the favour and continued to pester the little bugger. He was good, well trained and aggressive. Each time I nearly had him, he dove lower and lower into the clouds. Two more Dreideckers kept up with us and after a while it was getting crowded there. I thought to myself: This is crazy! We’re going to smash into each other.”
Rudi took another sip of his drink.
“- I finally decided it wasn’t worth it and watched from above as the other two triplanes took care of the Franzose. We were beneath the cloud layer now and just over the enemy trenches. I could see it all and stayed out of range. Another SPAD was flying low, chased by the Fokkers. I circled above and watched. Stupid me. I watched below instead of what’s at my back!
RAT-TA-TAT! Another SPAD, right on my tail. More holes in my machine. Me banking and diving to get away. My Fokker wasn’t responding well. I was in trouble. Another circle, more fire from behind. I dove again and right into the sights of the machine guns below. My Fokker was getting mauled.”
Rudi’s hands were shaking. He spilled some of his drink.
“- I thought I was doomed. The SPAD was on me, but then another Fokker got him off my tail and I left them there. Ran away like a coward...”
Fuchs finished his drink.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4561817 - 03/30/21 01:32 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Fullofit - That was a Scheisseload of bullet strikes! The burst from SPAD #2 sounded especially damaging.
Sometimes the Brave, brave Sir Robin, or Rudi, in this case is the right move. Boelcke, verse 7. Not sexy but it will save your life.

L:t. Casey - Much fun to have both the German and the English. Speaking of Herr Oberst, this Flashar fellow seems rather uptight. I do believe Oliver shot him up once, or was it the other way around? I don't remember. NFL = No fun Luftstreitkräfte. I've no doubt Ahnold will change his CO's unfavorable opinion in short order. H & B!

Last edited by epower; 03/30/21 01:42 AM.
#4561824 - 03/30/21 04:23 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
R.Talbot Offline
R.Talbot  Offline

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

#4561834 - 03/30/21 08:02 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
@Albert

I try to incooperate as many real persons as possible into the Story. Oberst Flashar was the real CO March and April 1918 of Jasta5.

@Fullofit

It wasn't intended to translate ranks and titles. My mistake. I didnt check that. Will be changed in the following reports.

Lets see how the Story continous.

@epower

Good chance He has been Hit, the way He walks, the way He Talks.

Last edited by LtCasey; 03/30/21 08:09 PM.

#4561844 - 03/30/21 11:01 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
LtCasey - good stuff, realism brings it to life doesn't it.

RT - Smashing tale. So your man's been blooded, good stuff. He's 'met the Elephant' as they say. Taking on two seaters from above is a risky business, he did well to get a score draw there. Live to fight another day.

Fullofit - So Rudi diced with death there and lived to tell the tale at least. He did well to get out of that one as at one point it looked like he had nowhere to go, literally. He was fortunate his kamerad got that SPAD off his tail.......now if it had been Jimmy. Grab a bottle of schnapps and dream about payback tomorrow. One upside, 63 confirmed kills. In March 1918 that puts him second only to the Baron himself.

#4561856 - 03/30/21 01:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

I'll be out for the day so I will catch up with everyone's latest adventures when I return. Captain Frederick Abbott and his crew, for the next few days, are working with standing orders to carry Cooper bombs and attack anything and everything Hunnish on the ground along the new front south of Arras. Freddy managed two such outings today resulting in a brace of flamed Boche obs balloons and one of their skirmish lines left in total chaos. For his troubles Abbott got his mount shot up a fair bit, but nothing that can't be patched by tomorrow. The Royal Engineers did get tents put up yesterday, at least for the officers, so Freddy is now under canvas, albeit it quite leaky canvas, but still. And, to add to the chaos at Conteville even further, 54 Squadron arrived late yesterday with their Camels as well, so there are now five full squadrons of machines and men all vying for space at an aerodrome that can barely claim the distinction of being one. The Brass Hats are all clearly mad.

#4561858 - 03/30/21 02:05 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK

2nd Lieutenant James Harrison
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
30th March 1918

4 confirmed kills

"Today's sortie Gentlemen is going to be what's fast becoming our 'milk' run. Out to the lines north of Chalons and then along to Verdun" confirmed Major Thaw.

"I'll be leading 'A' flight and Lt Turnure will lead 'B'. As you will have seen, the weather has changed today. Gone are the clear blue skies. It looks grey and very cloudy up there, making it difficult to spot the enemy and easy to get surprised so keep 'em peeled" he continued. "Take off in 20 minutes".

Jimmy, who was in 'B' flight, sat in his machine, the engine purred. He looked across the row of aircraft.

Then they were airborne and climbing. 'Jeez the weather really has changed' thought Jimmy as he was buffeted by the strong winds as he climbed.

With thick clouds prevalent, Jimmy kept an eye above as they made their way towards the lines. Thankfully there was nothing but how easy it would be to be jumped in this, he thought as they started across the lines.

They'd reached 4000 meters when Jimmy, always on the lookout but doubly so today, thought he saw some black dots over to the left. He tried to focus his eyes again. But whisps of cloud made it hard to be sure.

They carried on, then Jimmy saw them again, black dots over to the left, more distinct this time, definitely aircraft. He signalled the others but the formation was heading into thick cloud. This made Jimmy really nervous, if they'd been seen as he'd seen the other aircraft they could be jumped as they came out of the clouds.

Jimmy avoided the cloud, he climbed up and came around to the left. He could see the other aircraft clearly now. He followed them as they made their way across the lines. Then he saw another group to his right, it was 'A' flight. They'd seen them too.

Jimmy watched as 'A' flight closed in. The enemy formation split up and had clearly seen 'A' flight now. Jimmy could now see they were Albatros scouts.

Jimmy singled out one of the enemy aircraft and was about to pounce when something made him check behind. He then saw an enemy aircraft bearing down on him. He throttled up, pushed his nose down and drew the German aircraft back over the lines to the French side.

Jimmy then looped up and over and into the German. The German was good however and avoided the attack. Jimmy tried again and this time scored hits. The German dived and rolled away. Jimmy watched as the Albatros tried to run back to the lines. Jimmy dived onto the Albatros and put a long burst into him. Another followed and the enemy aircraft burst into flames. Jimmy watched as it crashed down into the barbed wire north of Chalons.

Jimmy could see no other aircraft nearby so made his way home. Jimmy was first back but quite soon the others arrived, Jimmy's was the only claim. But all SPADs made it back.

"I saw you fighting with that German Jimmy, good job. As for confirming it, that's upto the French on the ground" confirmed Major Thaw.

Later on Jimmy and Lt Turnure confirmed what had happened. "I signalled sir but as we were entering clouds I don't think anyone saw me. I decided to break to see what those other aircraft were upto" explained Jimmy.

"You're right, I saw nothing Jimmy, so you did the right thing" confirmed Ltn Turnure.

Attached Files 1-1.jpg2-1.jpg3-1.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

#4561894 - 03/30/21 07:48 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Bohain, Flanders.

1 Victory
3.63 Hrs
7 Missions

End of month Status. In transit back to Unit. March 30th 1918.

#4561916 - 03/30/21 11:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Status 31 Mar 1918

F/Cdr George Ewan McAlister, DSO, DFC
8 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service
La Gorgue, France

94 Missions
72.25 hours
42 victories
76 claims

#4561924 - 03/31/21 12:49 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Epower, that was a proper shock for our Flieger. He is not invincible after all.

R.Talbot, good to see our other Yank in the air and inflicting damage on the enemy.

LtCasey, it’s not a mistake. It’s your story - you tell it the way you want it.

Albert, if only Rudi had your outlook on life ... but instead he wallows in his misery.
It looks like Jimmy’s got some eagle eyes, always spotting the enemy first before anybody else. They should make him flight leader just for this reason alone. Congrats on another kill, let’s hope the French can confirm it. Another set of lovely pics.

Lou, don’t worry. We’re not going anywhere.
Now, how do they fit five squadrons around all those bomb craters? Maybe this is a new HQ tactic? Make the airfield as uncomfortable as possible, so the pilots prefer to fly extra missions?

30 March, 1918 10:45 morning mission
Fontaine-Uterte, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Oberleutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO, PLM
63 confirmed kills

“- Ahh, I love the smell of burning Bréguets in the morning!” Rudi stretched as he reclined on the ground near his machine. Tybelsky just arrived and disembarked from his Fokker.
“- That was you? I couldn’t tell. Too much happening around. I’m glad we were able to catch these Schweine before they dropped their load.” Albert took his flight cap off. “- Let’s get something to eat. I’m hungry!”
Rudi lifted his arm. “- Wanna help me up?”

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
Page 270 of 366 1 2 268 269 270 271 272 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM