Hop To
Page 57 of 63 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 62 63
#4561696 - 03/29/21 10:53 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF ***** [Re: Slick Wilhelm]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Originally Posted by Slick Wilhelm
Originally Posted by Freiherr_Wulff
I would support the idea of being able to un-assign the POV and assign it to other tasks.

+1.

It's a bit frustrating to know that your POV hats are useless if you use TrackIR. I realize that those of us using CH Products sticks & throttles can use their utility to assign each POV hat axis as a button, but it would be much simpler if we could do it within the workshop.

If they can open up more useable joystick buttons[hats], then we will have some of that!.. Yes please..

#4561697 - 03/29/21 11:00 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: MFair]  
jnhoward Offline
jnhoward  Offline

somerset
Originally Posted by MFair
Scramble missions while flying a British squadron. It would be nice if the bombs were not dropping on the field and the threat is long gone by the time the flight gets airborne. Maybe a little advance notice. Thanks.

Totally Agree..

#4561745 - 03/29/21 04:04 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Not sure if the scramble mission is a part of vanilla WOFF or part of JJJ's mission editor?

In any event, the scramble mission is a bit of an abstraction, considering that you can take off as soon as you are in the pilot seat. In reality, these engines took at least 10-15 minutes of warm-up time, so by the time your engine was warm enough, the enemy might indeed be over your head, dropping eggs!

I guess one or two minutes advance warning might be okay. Better yet, randomize it.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4561754 - 03/29/21 05:00 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Adger]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Adger,

Were you able to adjust wind turbulence to make landings a little more challenging?

If not, I found a section in the simulation.xml file that seems to effect turbulence. In combination with the mission editor, you should be able to find settings to your liking. Let us know if you have any success or if you have any questions about the following values.

<Bumps
windSmoothPeriod_secs="5"
localWindScaleVert_pct="100"
localWindScaleHorz_pct="10"
localWindFieldPerAircraft="y"
clearTurbulenceScale_pct="100"
cloudTurbulenceScale_pct="100"
groundBumpsVerticalScale_pct="50"
groundBumpsPitchScale_pct="100"
groundBumpsRollScale_pct="300"/>

Last edited by BuckeyeBob; 03/30/21 01:43 AM. Reason: removed tag

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4561794 - 03/29/21 08:01 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Apoligies Bob only just seen your post mate, i set multimod up for Wind Vertical=Moderate. Wind Horizontal=Moderate and Turbulance=Full..And yes 10kts or over i found landing and flying more difficult, i enjoy it for some strange reason biggrin but il certainly have a look at your numbers..Cheers mate

FWIW my current "Bump" file in simulation.xml

<Bumps
localWindScaleVert_pct="75"
localWindScaleHorz_pct="8"
groundBumpsVerticalScale_pct="125"
groundBumpsPitchScale_pct="150"
groundBumpsRollScale_pct="350"

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4561809 - 03/29/21 10:39 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

@BB and Adger, thanks awfully for those nos. from the simulation.xml file gents. Will have a tweaky-see with those entries over the next day or two and will test some landings/takeoffs to feel the differences. Always wanted to have more bumpy ascents/descents in WOFF, especially when flying the Eindeckers. Popping into one of the hangars, flying sideways, unannounced - with the mechanics surprised - seems worth the tweaks.

Cheers all,
Von S

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4561818 - 03/30/21 01:40 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: VonS]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by VonS
@BB and Adger, thanks awfully for those nos. from the simulation.xml file gents. Will have a tweaky-see with those entries over the next day or two and will test some landings/takeoffs to feel the differences. Always wanted to have more bumpy ascents/descents in WOFF, especially when flying the Eindeckers. Popping into one of the hangars, flying sideways, unannounced - with the mechanics surprised - seems worth the tweaks.

Cheers all,
Von S

Haha tinker away VonS and let us know your findings mate. cheers

We will remember them.
#4561820 - 03/30/21 02:08 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Interesting. Adger, did you change those values directly or via the mission editor?

I bet the relatively high value for "groundBumpsRollScale_pct" is responsible for the difficulty holding roll I have when trying to land a crippled plane. I have lost many a pilot after digging a wing into the ground after losing control at just the last minute before landing. I'm sure you have noticed that, too, especially if you bumped the value up another 50 points!

However, I don't see a value that controls the effects of crosswinds in landing. Maybe the sim assumes everyone flies into the wind on landing, which actually makes sense in these early days of grass airfields.

VonS, you may as well wait until BHaH2 is released to see if there are any major changes. The simulation.xml file is chok-fill of entries that influence all kinds of AI behavior, as well as several environmental variables.

#4561836 - 03/30/21 08:27 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi Bob, no I never touched the simulation .xml , you mention Mission editor mate,I set the turbulence etc once in Multimod, ..then in ME after I’ve planned the mission and it gets to (your) weather stage I select direction of weather and speed and fly. As for digging a wing ? No not really that very very rarely happens in my case so not sure what’s happening there pal?..strange ..hope this helps in any way

Regards

We will remember them.
#4561861 - 03/30/21 02:52 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
I'm a lover, not a fighter, ha ha, so I tend to get shot up a lot and have to try and land a heavily damaged aeroplane. On occasion, I am able to maintain control until I get close to the ground, when one of my wings dips and I end up crashing. I thought it was the wind, but maybe it's because I am not a very good pilot!

Would you say that landing is more challenging now with your new settings?

You are correct, I meant JJJ's multimod. My mistake. Both are great tools, though.

#4561896 - 03/30/21 08:10 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
I'm a lover, not a fighter, ha ha, so I tend to get shot up a lot and have to try and land a heavily damaged aeroplane. On occasion, I am able to maintain control until I get close to the ground, when one of my wings dips and I end up crashing. I thought it was the wind, but maybe it's because I am not a very good pilot!

Would you say that landing is more challenging now with your new settings?

You are correct, I meant JJJ's multimod. My mistake. Both are great tools, though.

Haha, yeah both are great tools mate, ..certainly when the wind is up I’d definitely say that landing is tougher, I came into land at the modded Boistrancourt and the wind blew me into the chimney duh winkngrin

We will remember them.
#4561942 - 03/31/21 03:28 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Quick follow-up to the last few posts gents. The "Bumps" section of the simulation.xml file has most of its entries changed via the different turbulence/wind settings in JJJ's multi-mod, while other settings in that section are further changed depending on the weather/cloud type loaded either in quick combat mode in WOFF, or via JJJ's Mission Ed. in combo. with BB's weather/clouds mod.

In my tests, manual changes in several of the "Bumps" entries would be overwritten before a mission was loaded in quick combat mode, for example (overwritten by the MultiMod, Mission Ed., etc.).

Here for example are the nos. with some lighter clouds loaded in quick mission mode:

localWindScaleVert_pct="50"
localWindScaleHorz_pct="8"
groundBumpsRollScale_pct="300"

And here are some nos. once BB's dark clouds variant is loaded in quick mission mode:

localWindScaleVert_pct="100"
localWindScaleHorz_pct="16"
clearTurbulenceScale_pct="200"
cloudTurbulenceScale_pct="200"
groundBumpsRollScale_pct="300"

Both settings above showed up with the following settings in the MultiMod (vertical wind low, horizontal wind moderate, turbulence full) - but different cloud/weather types loaded, as indicated above.

So, in short, setting "Bumps" entries manually via the simulation.xml file is useless since overwritten by the Java-based mods. One entry that may be modified manually and that seems to stick (unmodified by the Java mods) - is the following one:

The default value is 5 secs. Set to 2 secs. if you like more constant turbulence/vibrations as in RoF. Set to about 10 secs. if you prefer something between stock WOFF turbulence and the more smooth winds of FE2.

EDIT: latest update Apr. 27, 2021 - manual changes in the bumps settings can be implemented successfully if the tweaked simulation.xml file is then loaded via JSGME, but it appears that different weather types in QC mode and also in campaign mode further alter/modify/amplify such settings.

Cheers all,
Von S smile2

P.S. Do not manually change entries in the "Bumps" section and then set the simulation.xml file as "Read Only," thinking that this will override settings in JJJ's Java-based programs - it will only load error windows since the simulation.xml file must remain writable by WOFF as the sim. is loading its various files. Best is to set winds via the MultiMod - but tweak the "windSmoothPeriod" manually to taste via the simulation.xml file.

Last edited by VonS; 04/27/21 07:59 AM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4561993 - 03/31/21 01:36 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great findings VonS very interesting pal.

We will remember them.
#4562533 - 04/04/21 10:09 PM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
trustworthykebab Offline
trustworthykebab  Offline

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Originally Posted by VonS
A Morane-Saulnier Type N (Bullet) would be welcome for early-war scenarios, also the Longhorn/Shorthorn (I believe there were some videos on YouTube a while back with such experiments under way by modders but the project then fell under the radar).

Originally Posted by trustworthykebab
From what I understood from those 2017 videos is that the Bullet FM is fully modeled, I think the actual model needs to be polished up though. Something I definetly look forward to, since I die for Early War. Also, am I too based being Italian to dream about our front being added?

As one of the members who was working on this project with OldHat and Robert Wiggins, please allow me to clear up a few points. First, I did indeed post pictures, not videos, of both a flyable Bullet and Longhorn on this forum, although I can assure you that they could indeed fly. While we had flyable models of both planes, the damage model was limited to just one or two boxes for the entire plane.

Originally, this project was initiated by OldHat. Both models were based on previous models developed by someone else, who gave OldHat permission to use them. Unfortunately, after OldHat had put dozens, if not hundreds, of hours on improving the 3D models and developing a rudimentary damage model, his computer crashed and he lost all of the original models. Both models would have to be built again from scratch. Understandably, he chose not to continue the project. This is sad, because I felt we were very close to releasing a workable mod for both planes.

There were still a few additional problems that had to be ironed out. In addition to the lack of a detailed damage model, there was the issue of getting the planes to show up in the campaign. This would have required both JJJ's mission editor and the user's willingness to modify the mission.xml file in order to get the planes (user or AI) into the campaign. Another problem was OBD's relative coolness towards allowing third-party flyable plane mods into the game. From my own point of view, this was understandable, given concerns about quality control, protecting the "brand" etc. However, OldHat took this more personally than me, and I sense this is another reason why he chose not to continue the project.

Theoretically, we could start the project from scratch all over again, but we would first have to find the person who developed the original 3D models, get his permission to use them, and then find someone else with 3D experience to agree to work on refining the models so they could work in WOFF. I would volunteer, but I am hopeless when it comes to visual model building. Plus, my eyesight is not good enough now to do detailed work on a computer screen.

So there you have it. Later today, I will try and post a few screen shots of OldHat's Bullet and Longhorn models in action. I would post videos, but my model of motherboard doesn't support Shadowplay, for some reason, and I am too lazy to d/l Fraps.

By the way, one of the videos I meant was this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMyxIsK8eaQ
Sorry for adding it this late into the convo, haven't had the time to look for it since we last spoke

#4565132 - 04/19/21 11:08 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
jeanba Offline
jeanba  Offline

A small request : when playing single missions, activate the option "pilot does not die" :
Very often, I use single mission to test things (bombing , special tactics), possibly resulting in dying ...
If I forget to activate the option, I lose my "campaign pilot" and it is quite frustrating !

#4565251 - 04/20/21 06:21 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: jeanba]  
Creaghorn Offline
Creaghorn  Offline

N�rnberg Frankonia
Originally Posted by jeanba
A small request : when playing single missions, activate the option "pilot does not die" :
Very often, I use single mission to test things (bombing , special tactics), possibly resulting in dying ...
If I forget to activate the option, I lose my "campaign pilot" and it is quite frustrating !

If you set in WS Logs to Campaign only, then you don't need to take care about ticking or unticking the box for the pilot not to die in QC and Scenarios. Then only what happens in campaign is going to be logged.

#4565679 - 04/23/21 10:40 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Would be nice to have the Caudron G4 as the training aircraft in the Training missions rather than the BE2, in French campaigns.

I am sure it would make Lt. Triggier les grumpy...

B.

Last edited by Bletchley; 04/23/21 10:42 AM.
#4565782 - 04/24/21 02:51 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

The smoke and dust from artillery and bombs is persistent, that is to say that you can see it even if the explosion wasn't in your field of view. On the other hand the smoke from AA bursts isn't visible unless you were looking in that general direction when it exploded and if you turn away and look back even before it should fade away it will be gone. Would it be possible to make them the same kind of files so that you could see where an AA shell had burst regardless?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4566201 - 04/27/21 03:01 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Bletchley]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Originally Posted by Bletchley
Would be nice to have the Caudron G4 as the training aircraft in the Training missions rather than the BE2, in French campaigns.

I am sure it would make Lt. Triggier les grumpy...

B.

It's possible to switch out the aircrafts and do all sorts of fun things for training. See this thread: https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4358555/re-custom-mission-building-series

#4566212 - 04/27/21 05:28 AM Re: Wish List for WOFF [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Bletchley Offline
Bletchley  Offline

Thanks orbyxp - I guess that is using JJJ65's mission editor. I will have a look at it when it is updated for BH&H2.

Page 57 of 63 1 2 55 56 57 58 59 62 63

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM