Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4561545 - 03/28/21 02:50 AM Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud!  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Decent little article talking about the big G brother profiting on you and not sharing a Penney.

What, google spys on you?

Bored and awake so I'll go step by step:

They say I am 26 to 35 yrs younger than I really am.
They say I am interested in business formation...LOL the only one I have considered is setting up PAY HERE booths at the Florida borders and see who is dumb enough to stop.
Says I own my home, have been a renter since I got divorced in the early 80's.
Oh yeah, they think I am married.
Says I am interested in urban transit...the nearest urban area to me is at least fifty miles.
They say I work for a very large employer...lol I have been retired since 2012.
They say I have a HIGH household income...I live on Social Security and a tiny VA pension! And the banking idiots give me an almost 770 credit score!

Plus a few others that are off also.

If that is marketing today, they might as well just use wheels of fortune or a version of the old 8 balls. Gonna flip some serving carts in my marketing discussion in the AM.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4561547 - 03/28/21 03:09 AM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I'm not sure, but I think I would rather they had my marketing information wrong than exactly right.. You must be doing something right to throw off their algorithm.

#4561596 - 03/28/21 03:04 PM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
For sure LB4LB, I think Privacy Badger is one of the big reasons.

I will come up with a Nixer classic school post today, as we have a discussion going on qualitative vs quantitative marketing research. Should be fun.

Good luck to anybody buying that crap data.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4561624 - 03/28/21 06:44 PM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Opposite case for me, and to the extreme.

I googled an item on my PC.

An hour later I saw an ad for exactly that item on my phone.

My phone has ABSOLUTELY ZERO "connections" to my PC. I do not access the same email (or even service) with it, I never give out my phone number on my PC, etc, etc, etc.

I can't get my head around how they pull this off - best guess I come up with is some entity in the real world sold my phone number info, and either directly or indirectly Google got ahold of it...

#4561637 - 03/28/21 07:54 PM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

But that is dumb. I buy an item, or decide not to. Adverts "selling" *me* this thing are a waste of the advertiser's money for years at least.

#4561650 - 03/28/21 10:38 PM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Zamzow]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by Zamzow

My phone has ABSOLUTELY ZERO "connections" to my PC. I do not access the same email (or even service) with it, I never give out my phone number on my PC, etc, etc, etc.

I can't get my head around how they pull this off - best guess I come up with is some entity in the real world sold my phone number info, and either directly or indirectly Google got ahold of it...

+1

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4561667 - 03/29/21 02:54 AM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: vonBaur]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Originally Posted by vonBaur
Originally Posted by Zamzow

+1

+2

My mate was getting new solar at home and we had talked about it on messenger. I don't use FB except for messenger and it's an old email i have connected to nothing for at least 10 years, all fake personal info and no pictures. Solar ads on google within the day.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4561670 - 03/29/21 03:42 AM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Some peoples devices are so compromised I am sure that it's "contagious".

I am also sure Google et al cheat at every opportunity.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4561694 - 03/29/21 10:41 AM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
But...but...I thought Google was one of them "progressive" companies?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4562314 - 04/02/21 11:38 PM Re: Google ads have it so wrong they should be prosecuted for fraud! [Re: Nixer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I (heart) advertising computer algorithms.

On Facebook, I always share lingerie advertisements, especially from Wish, with the goal being that I wondered when I would get one for a "marital aid." It was a fine game, and it only took eight months before I hit jackpot. A bluetooth enabled, smart phone controlled "personal massage device" popped up.

Winner!

It's also a huge mess of random stuff around a core of Airplane Stuff, Firearm Stuff, Army Stuff, and Lingerie/Cosplay. They're really guessing hard, from burr bits to gardening tools. It's also not sure if I'm straight or not, as I get ads for Gay Paraphernalia semi-regularly. darts-pony

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.