Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4554650 - 02/02/21 10:17 PM Finally Over the Covid  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Regret my absence/participation here Many personal events intervened, and the #%&*$# covid virus interfered.

Both G/F and I observed all mask/social distancing, but we still got covid; confirmed by test.

The virus was fairly mild, even given my being 69 yrs old and a smoker. Otherwise, in pretty good health. My G/F and I took al the usually suggested vitamins and supplements, such as Vit D3 and Zinc, to name but a few. We'll never know if they were of benefit, but both of us are well again.

I regret not responding to some members, but it has been a very long time in my life, covid being just anther obstacle. Grateful that we both survived as well as we did.

I look forward to learning things from you all!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4554681 - 02/03/21 08:10 AM Re: Finally Over the Covid [Re: RIBob]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Great to hear you have both recovered. Welcome back.

#4560303 - 03/16/21 10:41 PM Re: Finally Over the Covid [Re: RIBob]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Thanks! It was not something I'd care to experience again, but I, and my G/F, got away pretty easy, all things considered.

Just an add-on. Upgrading the CPU in my Win 10 computer to the highest-level, un-locked I9 (9th Gen I9 9900K) CPU available for my computer.. Also bought a Dell cooling fan assy that is pretty slick. Instead of venting heat from CPU into the case, the upgraded CPU cooling fan vents its' exhaust directly into intake of top-mounted case cooling fan. Pretty slick. Added 120mm lower case fan uses OEM Dell bracket. Both case fans are 120mm. vice single OEM 90mm top fan. Should make everything run much cooler. I think Alienware also has such a CPU cooling fan, so the concept has been proven. These upgrades might drag my computer into something resembling cutting-edge computer, for an additional $400.00. Time will tell, but doing so is reaching the limits of my computer Mother Board.

I have a factory over-clocked Nvidia 2060 Gfx card, and testing showed that it was bottlenecked by previous I7 CPU. Being able to safely overclock the new I9 CPU, along with much better fan/exhaust might be nice .From all accounts, this CPU is a beast, and it is easy to safely overclock this CPU. I had to remove the plastic shroud around my Gfx card to cut-out a raised section of it that prevented installation of lower case fan. That's how tight the dimensions are. If you might be buying a new computer, get a large-sized case; computer Gfx cards are no longer tiny, and not getting smaller. My 2060 OC card is almost a foot long.

FWIW, many Gfx card mfrs, and many CPU mfrs offer "Overclocking" software. Also other, independent software providers. While not without risk, it seems that most CPUs and Gfx cards can be safely overclocked, as long as they are adequately cooled. MSI "Afterburner" and "Kombustor" offer respected free progs for Gfx card overclocking, as is some similar software from Acronis. No expert, though.

Once all this is sorted-out, will be responding more often. I admit to being something of a tech-geek, FWIW. No apologies. I might add that I began all this knowing nothing, but after extensive, detailed internet research, and watching Youtube vids, the project was a complete success. If I can do it, so can you. Upgrading is a lot cheaper than buying a new computer, and FAR less hassle in transferring programs and so forth.

All the very best to all here! Wish me luck!

Last edited by RIBob; 04/12/21 07:22 PM.
#4560344 - 03/17/21 07:48 AM Re: Finally Over the Covid [Re: RIBob]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Good to hear smile

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4560413 - 03/17/21 05:13 PM Re: Finally Over the Covid [Re: RIBob]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
I know a couple of people who had it. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Take it easy.

Last edited by Moggy; 03/17/21 05:13 PM.
#4561298 - 03/25/21 05:01 PM Re: Finally Over the Covid [Re: RIBob]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Glad to hear that it as the a real problem for you. My wife got it and had symptoms. So we both went for testing. She was positive and I was negative. Dont see how that could have been, but she had mild/moderate symptoms and I had nothing.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4563983 - 04/12/21 07:27 PM Re: Finally Over the Covid [Re: oldgrognard]  
RIBob Offline
RIBob  Offline

Content added to original post. As per latest info, our immunity to the strain of Covid we contracted should be good for 8 months or so. We'll get a single dose of the two-dose vaccine at the end of the summer, which ought to further boost immunity to all current strains. Thanks for all kind wishes!

Edit: just got first dose of covid vaccine the other day. Aside from some soreness in arm, no side-effects. Looking forward to (presumed) resistance to the "variants". We'll see.

Last edited by RIBob; 05/07/21 07:02 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.