Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4560952 - 03/22/21 05:39 PM Mouse view - any way to snap back to forward?  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
This isn't a "bug" per se, but I have gone through the pdf manual and have been experimenting myself (now making very good use of my mini-stick on my throttle (remapped to mouse)) - but I would really love to be able to have a key that immediately snaps back to forward view while using mouse view. Is this indeed possible somehow while using it? (either that or be able to set the mini-stick as an absolute axis (eg. let off, it centers) to head movement (like in il2 GBS which does it automatically) - but I am guessing that is beyond the realm of possibility here (no worries)). So I am trying to get it to work at least like the Thirdwire series (or Tobruk), where I can look around just fine with the mini-stick, but then have a button that can immediately snap back to forward. smile

(p.s. love the mouse view feature add by ankor - a terrific add!)
(nope, I don't use head tracking - after initial wow, I eventually found it wasn't a good fit for me, personally)

Last edited by Redwolf; 03/22/21 05:50 PM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super
#4561224 - 03/24/21 10:23 PM Re: Mouse view - any way to snap back to forward? [Re: Redwolf]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Hi Redwolf, the only thing I can think of regarding the mouse view is to try setting the spring-back time window to a few secs. in length max. The relevant setting is found in the d3d8.ini file, by the way, in the WOFF/OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. For good measure, change the same setting to be identical in the other d3d8.ini file located under WOFF/WOFFScenery/Shaders.

This is the setting:

; Time in seconds before mouse look automatically returns to centered view.
MouseLookResetDelay=5

Experiment with values lower than 5 (secs.) - try 0, 1, 2, etc.

I have mapped a button that snaps back to forward view - but it toggles/snaps between padlock view and forward view - I'm not aware of how to toggle between mouse view and forward-view-via-button instantaneously in WOFF (as is sometimes done in the TW sims.). As far as I know, once you enter mouse panorama/view in WOFF, auto. return to default (front) view is controlled only via the setting listed above, in the d3d8.ini files.

Hopefully someone who has found some tricks regarding the mouse view will be able to help you further.

Cheers,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 03/24/21 10:24 PM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4561230 - 03/24/21 11:40 PM Re: Mouse view - any way to snap back to forward? [Re: Redwolf]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Good advice, VonS. Without looking at the .in file, I believe there is also a setting that controls the snapback speed. Together, these settings may help approximate what Redwood is aiming for.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4561233 - 03/25/21 12:38 AM Re: Mouse view - any way to snap back to forward? [Re: Redwolf]  
Redwolf Offline
Redwolf  Offline

Maple Ridge, B.C., Canada
Hey, thanks gentlemen for helping and giving some suggestions - appreciated salute

Yes, I played around with Mouse Look Reset Delay - and unfortunately doesn't really work out - as now I end up fighting trying to hold a certain view and that gets rather annoying. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Current situation isn't the end-of-the-world though, it just means I have to find my forward aspect on my own (and that isn't so bad as I do have it running with my mini-stick very nice and smoothly and accurately). Just it is missing an override button of some sort that would immediately bring me that forward cockpit view that I am afforded by (or can be done with) my other sims - though like I mentioned the GBS series defaults it to an absolute axis (which is really quite different and useful too (great for searching the skies or tracking enemies) in combo with hat view (I have extra's, lol) for more directed and purposeful viewing.

Anyway, it is QUITE an UPGRADE to using just the hat (and I don't have a spare 3rd hand to be on the mouse, lol) - it is just missing that functionality that would take it to the next level. Something that I guess Ankor (or Mark) would have to program in if possible - unless there is still yet another hidden way to do it (?).

P.S. - I suggest anybody that isn't using track-ir and is using hat for view and has a mini-stick on their throttle, to give it a try (Joystick Gremlin is a great free utility for mapping it to mouse).

Last edited by Redwolf; 03/25/21 12:50 AM.

Win10/ i5-7600/ 16GB RAM/ GTX1660 Super

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.