Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 265 of 366 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 365 366
#4560608 - 03/19/21 02:39 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Last edited by carrick58; 03/19/21 03:02 PM.
#4560610 - 03/19/21 03:16 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick, she won't be playing that trick with a tankard of Walter's family brew, that would just be alcohol abuse.

[Linked Image]

And look, (speaking of alcohol abuse), there's the shovel.

#4560639 - 03/19/21 07:01 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Walter Ludwick Spatenbrau
Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Wassigny, Flanders.

March 19, 1918.

1 Victory.

Weather closed in , no flights. Just as well The supply wagon never showed up so the Hauptmann ordered the spare machines drained of fuel. This will give the Jasta 5 Flyable a/c for the Old Hands when the weather breaks.

#4560652 - 03/19/21 08:03 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
I agree she's not exactly Lili Marlene Lou, but I think 'shovel' is a tad harsh old bean biggrin but I'll go a Steiner of that brew she's carrying if there's any going cheers

I've got a feeling this dodgy weather is here for the weekend guys, best dig out the craps dice.

Attached Files Screenshot_20210319-195052~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4560655 - 03/19/21 08:58 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

As always quality reports lads really enjoyed reading them. After the week I’ve had grafting I’m ready for a few pints of SpatenBrau biggrin cheers

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4560698 - 03/20/21 10:09 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

20 March 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Droglandt, France

"What a gawdaweful place!" Captain Frederick Abbott remarked to no one in particular upon arriving at the new digs in the fog and rain. He'd seen the aerodrome many times before of course, but only from the air when passing over during various outings from Poperinge, (and from La Lovie when he'd been stationed there several months previous). Droglandt was hard to miss when you were flying above it, its compacted cinder and ash runways forming a giant gray St. Andrew's Cross, open on the east and west ends but connected at the tips of the cross along the north and south by additional runways, with the whole affair sitting directly in the middle of actively farmed potato fields. It stuck out like a sore thumb and no doubt made a lovely target for any Hun bombers that might be passing by. Seeing it from ground level however was a different story entirely. The runways were nearly invisible unless you were parked directly on one as they actually sunk below the surrounding fields. Because of this and to prevent them from flooding, fairly deep drainage ditches had been dug on each side of every runway and these, coupled with the narrowness of the runways themselves, made for treacherous take-offs and landings. Any sidewind at all that caught the less-than-attentive pilot unaware would send said pilot off the runway and into one of the ditches, resulting in a broken prop and pranged undercarriage at the very least. A plane tipped on its beak in a ditch was a near daily sight at Droglandt, as were pilots with bandaged foreheads, broken noses, and blackened eyes, (such pilots being those who practiced leaving their harness a bit looser for better mobility in the cockpit, with such practice usually being amended shortly after their first ditch encounter). To make things even more entertaining, the aerodrome was immediately bounded north and south by rows of tall poplars, and on the west by a line of telegraph poles running across the ends of all the runways. And of course the furrowed fields surrounding everything in all directions. Whoever had chosen this location and design for an aerodrome was a sadistic bugger!

#4560711 - 03/20/21 02:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Congratulations on the confirmed kill Carrick.

Lou, you have my sympathies being stuck up in northern Flanders in all this rain and snow, must be like the Okefenokee Swamp up there only colder.

2nd Lieutenant James Harrison
103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
20th March 1918

Jimmy got up from the craps table and walked over to the window. The weather was just as bad as yesterday, 'more rain than snow now' he thought, not that that mattered much. The adjutant had confirmed no flying again for the day some time before. 'So much for getting flight time' Jimmy thought.

"You know" said Jimmy as he closed the curtains "It's the sentries I feel sorry for................."

Attached Files Screenshot_20210318-214831~2.png

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4560737 - 03/20/21 08:12 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Wassigny, Flanders.

1 Victory

March 20, 1918

Still weather so went into the city to see a show. It was kinda a waste of time.

https://giphy.com/gifs/warnerarchive-classic-film-warner-archive-l0MYOUI5XfRk4LLWM/fullscreen

Last edited by carrick58; 03/20/21 08:12 PM.
#4560784 - 03/21/21 02:40 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Lou, ah yes! Reinforcements from Russia. The Entente will have their hands full.
So, Droglandt, what a terrible place for an aerodrome. They could have at least shifted it a bit so that they wouldn’t have to land on those narrow strips of compacted cinder with those nasty ditches on each side. Things would have been much easier then.

Albert, don’t you worry, some good weather is on the way. You’ll get plenty of flight time soon enough, I expect.

20 March, 1918
Guise, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Leutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO
48 confirmed kills

No flying today. The snow reverted back to sleet. Things are looking up!

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4560786 - 03/21/21 03:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
R.Talbot Offline
R.Talbot  Offline

Last edited by R.Talbot; 03/21/21 03:30 AM.
#4560814 - 03/21/21 10:34 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Fullofit I sure hope you're right, I'm running out of francs here.

RT, glad to see someone's getting airborne.

103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
21st March 1918

No flying yet again today, the snow had thawed and the rain was definitely clearing, the problem now was the flooding......this wasn't a problem for us in the mess, but was causing an issue with Pierre and our daily Brandy supply as you can see from the picture below.

Later on Major Thaw returned, he didn't say much other than to call a full briefing for 8am tomorrow..... something's up.

Attached Files Screenshot_20210318-213850~2.png

#4560820 - 03/21/21 11:06 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Carrick - tick-tock tick-tock

Talbot - Those sunsets can be quite lovely indeed, just don't allow them to captivate your man so much that he fails to notice the Boche that may be sneaking up on his six.

Fullofit - More rain for Rudi as well, eh? He must be knitting his own socks from scratch by now.

Albert - No, not the brandy supply!

21 March 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Droglandt, France

It was a few minutes past five when word came in that the Hun, about thirty minute earlier, had begun a massive shelling of the British lines south of Arras with the main focus appearing to be down near St. Quentin. Sketchy reports were indicating the intensity of the opening barrage was unlike anything seen since the war began. How had they managed to sneak that many big guns into firing range without being noticed? If the weather down in that sector was as horrid as it was at Droglandt there'd be no spotting them from the air for now either, that was certain. Rain, low dense clouds, and a touch of ground fog greeted the new day - no flying again.

#4560826 - 03/21/21 01:15 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
R.Talbot Offline
R.Talbot  Offline

Albert: looks like we might make a short flight to La noblette in the near future. 😉

Lou: it appears as if some sort of.... offensive, of a final nature might be going on? I wonder. 🤔

Full: I've spoken to Maj. Huffer several times regarding trees along our field making landing difficult, yet they still remain. Staff officers ugh 😒

Carrick: nice legs on the grandmother clocks

#4560834 - 03/21/21 03:15 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Albert, maybe Jimmy has more luck at poker? Or it’s high time to learn to cheat at craps.

Lou, more socks? Nein! He’s knitting Strumpfhose for Berta.

R.Talbot, war would be so much better without the brass hats.

21 March, 1918
Guise, Flanders Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Leutnant Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO
48 confirmed kills

No flying today. Still raining cats and dogs, but at least the temperature holds above zero. Hopefully the streak of bad weather will be over by tomorrow. It seems that it’s not just the weather that’s turning. German artillery is pounding the ground across the lines for some time now. Something big was about to happen.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4560848 - 03/21/21 05:46 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
LtCasey Offline
LtCasey  Offline

Darmstadt, Germany
Hey Fullofit,

It seems like Emil ist on Richthofens tracks! You surpassed Boelcke by 8 Kills! Keep it up and stay alive!

"What the hell do I care, I know I got them!" Raul Lufberry

AMD Guy! Ryzen 5 3600, 5700xt, 32gb RAM, 2x nvsme Samsung 250gb (system) 500gb (Game) +100gb Backup Corsair ssd. Watercooled. Win 10 64bit.
#4560873 - 03/21/21 09:29 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Wassigny, Flanders.

March 21, 1918.

1 Victory.

Clouds appeared to be breaking up although still dark and Heavy., Enemy a/c reported near Inf positions. Lt Wolf is sick so as stand by I got his a/c a D III . The Hauptmann showed me the taps and said she dives like a rock so off you go. Over position sector A 416 , we had 8 Camels dive on us 6 together one high and one low. I turned into the flight as my other 5 flyers scattered. My Mg's rattled and barked no hits as we passed head on then they were on me. turned twisted wing over rolled still 1 or 2 were on me like fleas on a dog. Dive like a rock so I did . Finally out distanced the the pack then flew thru an Arty Barrage that did it they left . I landed at a friendly Field to check and found 22 bullet holes mostly in the wings. The Mec Sgt said just scratches go fly home. We lost 3 a/c that flight for 0 e/a. We were Spanked but good.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-03-21 13-32-17-79.jpgCFS3 2021-03-21 13-32-46-55.jpgCFS3 2021-03-21 13-43-21-16.jpgCFS3 2021-03-21 13-47-12-77.jpgCFS3 2021-03-21 13-47-56-96.jpgCFS3 2021-03-21 13-58-03-00.jpg
#4560910 - 03/22/21 09:35 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Carrick, all those holes and no damage done.... phew.

Finally....some flight time.

103rd Aero
La Noblette Airfield
22nd March 1918

"Alright Gentlemen, sit down please" said Major Thaw

The briefing room was packed, all pilots and ground officers were present.

"As you know I got back from my meeting with the brass yesterday, that's the easy part. We're still the only USAS unit in operation at the moment, as more arrive, and they will in the coming weeks and months, we'll probably be grouped together, but for now we'll be under the operational control of the French Groupe de Combat 21, supporting the 4th Army" confirmed the Major.

"Now to the main business, we've had confirmed reports of massed shelling of our lines up in Flanders. Obviously with the awful weather preventing flying we've not been able to mark where these guns are yet, hopefully that'll change now the weather has improved. We've been expecting an attack for months now and this could well be it, or it could be a feint, we just don't know yet" he continued

"One thing is for sure though we can't take any chances, so, as of now all leave is cancelled until further notice"......."We will be going up later this morning, 'A' flight will fly out west of Verdun and 'B' flight will cover the airfield, then this afternoon it'll be 'B' flight's turn"

"Take off time this morning will be 10.45am"

Major Thaw read out the members of each flight and Jimmy was in flight 'A'.

The Major turned to Jimmy.

"Lieutenant, the idea was to allow you to fly up to the lines and back, but in the current circumstances I think that'd be far too risky as we really don't know what's up there at the moment. So you'll fly the patrol with us, but if we spot any enemy aircraft in our vicinity you are to dive away and return here with all speed.....and before you even begin to utter a protest Lieutenant that is an order..... understood" the Major's tone left Jimmy in no uncertain terms.

"Understood sir" confirmed Jimmy

"Good, right now go get some breakfast all of you and those in flight 'A' be back here for flight briefing at 10am" finished the Major.

10.45am came and 'A' flight took off. The weather was certainly much improved but it was still very cloudy. We climbed up to over 4500 meters before heading out, giving me a great chance to see the surrounding areas, the town of Chalons, the road network.......and even the front for the first time. The flight itself was uneventful for sometime, I was keeping my eyes open but to be honest it was just so good to be in the air. It was what I'd been waiting for for two long years.

As we reached the Aire river west of Verdun we turned slightly along the lines.....it was then it happened. The lead aircraft in our formation drew our attention. I looked and at first saw nothing but then as my eyes focussed I saw them, several aircraft coming across the lines from the enemy side to ours. As I levelled my head I saw that several of the flight had already started diving into them.

How tempting it was to dive with them.....but no....'orders' I thought...'orders'. I turned 180 degrees and checking all around me started back. I put my nose down and fairly raced back to La Noblette. I was able to use my increasing knowledge of the countryside to help me get back, I followed one of the roads I recognised all the way back to La Noblette.

I landed and awaited the others. After a while they returned. It had indeed been an eventful encounter, 3 claims were entered on our part and two SPADs damaged.

"Well done" said the Major later on.

"What for sir?" I enquired

"Following orders Lieutenant, now I know I can trust you, so do the others" he smiled as he spoke "I know how hard that was to fly away, but from now on, you can pick your own fights" the Major walked away.

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

#4560927 - 03/22/21 12:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Albert - Smart man that Harrison, to follow orders as given. Earning the trust of one's CO is always a good step. Nice screenshots too.

Carrick - Walter was wise to dive away from that mass of Camels. If he'd had a fair alt advantage over them it would have been a much different encounter. Also some nice screenshots.

LtCasey - Good to see you stopping by. Stay a while and have a drink or three, we've plenty. The Spatenbrau has been particularly popular as of late.

Fullofit - Strumpfhosen you say? If Berta finds his handiwork to her liking Rudi may have to consider a career in hosiery after the war. No telling how many leggy dancing clocks will need properly flattering tights.

22 March 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Droglandt, France

After a fortnight of being grounded, first by his injury and then by the weather, Captain Frederick Abbott had at last returned to the air, (and in the process had the opportunity to experience those wonderfully treacherous runways for the first time). Amid heavy gray clouds and light rain he led 'B' Flight on a flip east to the frontlines and back to assess the situation. Nothing was different this far north, but the same could not be said to the south according to incoming reports. From Monchy to Pinon the Hun had broken through the long-established lines. The British Fifth Army was in full retreat, falling back to form new positions of defence. The British Third Army had managed to hold it's own southeast of Arras, at least for now, preventing the Boche from swinging up towards the channel ports. Things were in complete chaos and the Hun were taking full advantage of it, pressing their attacks deeper and deeper. St. Quentin appeared to be the center of the swell with advancements there a good five miles into what had been British-held territory not two days before. It was too early to tell just how much territory the Kaiser's troops were going to capture before they could be halted, but halted they must be.

#4560936 - 03/22/21 03:32 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Raine - MacAlister emboldened by his time in London? That dance was a very close run thing but bravo for pulling it off. I fear all that time with Oliver may have infected Mac with Winningstad's penchant for saying the wrong thing but all ended well with the fair Miss Bronwyn in George's arms. Spring, and romance is in the air for sure. Her church comment was a little jarring, I must admit. Hopefully Brownyn won't be reading him Job 38:11 come Sunday.

MFair - Those blasted engine fires continue! Tough break for poor Whidman. Did JJ grab Thorpe's extra gear as a momento?
Who Dares Wins, it would appear. Jeremiah bringing some serious cojones going 1 SE v 2 Triplanes! Impressive. Shame about the ill-timed stoppage but congrats on the Pfalz confrimation. How many is tht for JJ now?

Albert - So Jimmy is back with Bill Thaw and Luftbery. Excellent. No more joyriding on the down-low, he's got a mount of his own now. Smart move on Jimmy's part and now he's got the CO's confidence. Next time the fun begins in earnest.

Lou - Droglandt, in all it's onomatapoetic horror sounds like a nasty place indeed. The Ack Ems and Riggers are going to be burning the midnight oil with all these pranged landings.

RT - great to see you back! Superb introduction and as always the historical format only adds to the flavor. That Meissner chap seems to have all the luck at cards. Hmmmmm.
Congrats on the new machine. Weather clearing. Won't be long now.

Fullofit - I'm relieved to see Rudi using the down time productively knitting for the lovely Berta. I was getting concerned about his dissapation with Tybelsky. Something big is brewing for sure. Rudi will have ample opportunity to get 50.

Carrick - Glad Walter got his guns sighted at last. I hope the Camel is the first of many for the effervescent Spatenbrau. I still get an eye twitch when I see those candy cane Albatri. A most timely entertainment to pass the foul weather. Does Walter like the new Pfalz?

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 59 of many

1 January 1918
Royal Automobile Club
London

These past four days passed in a dreamlike blur with no time for writing. Every moment I spent with Clarissa felt perfect. The world was back in balance and the war a distant memory. My ghosts slept peacefully. I knew it couldn’t last but while it did, I was a willing participant in the illusion.

Clarissa was gone back to her room when I woke on the morning of the 29th. At breakfast we reviewed our arrangements. The escape plan she’d worked out the previous night would now be put into effect. Being between postings I was travelling heavy with all my kit, so my luggage would go with her. I would buy a ticket to London and be obviously seen doing so. At the same time Clarissa would obtain another ticket for my journey from Wolverhampton to Hay.

“Wait until the very last moment, then debark.,” she instructed. “Wolverhampton is a large station so you can melt into a crowd. Keep your coat on and you’re just one more of the King’s airmen.”

I was late into Herford and almost came to grief, but after a sprint along the platform I caught the train to Hay-on-Wye where a middle-aged man in a black chauffer’s hat approached me as disembarked.

“Captain Winningstad?” he inquired. “My name is Thompson. Mrs. Walsingham sent me to fetch you.”

Marlet House sprawled atop a rise south of the town backed by a large wood. Thompson informed me we were 400 yards into Wales. To the left the ground dropped off steeply toward a low pasture. Behind the vast house I could see what appeared to be an equally large ornamental garden, and three large outbuildings with the look of stables. A light dusting of snow covered the landscape, just enough to crunch underfoot.

[Linked Image]
The view from the front door took in the entire valley of the Wye and the Brecon Beacons. How this place must look in the full glory of Summer!

Clarissa was indisposed when I arrived. I visited pleasantly with her mother and Clarissa’s godmother, Mrs. Walsingham whose house this was. Like Clarissa, her godmother had the uncanny knack of rooting out information without seeming inquisitive. In time the story of my cross-country journey came to the fore and with it the tale of the Seattle poker game. At this, Mrs. Walsingham’s face beamed with interest.

“Well, well,’ she said. “A fellow gamester. You are most welcome, Captain Winningstad.”

When I changed for dinner, I took in the view from my bedroom windows, which overlooked the vast garden to the rear. In the far corner I spied an old-fashioned hedge maze. I tried to plot the way to the center but a large overhanging tree blocked my view.

Bridge after dinner. I knew the game but it was 4 years since I’d sat in with mother’s ruthless circle. After some early bidding missteps, more than a few bad leads and one exasperated “Captain Winningstad!” from Clarissa’s mother, I settled back into the game.

Clarissa came to me that first night, from that absurd secret passage. I was up reading. Gave me a hellish fright when the wall panel opened inward.

“I saw your light,” she said.

“Gods below, Clarissa! There’s a normal door just over there,” I exclaimed. “I don’t even know the location of your bedroom yet you manage to slink into mine through some hidden portal.”

“Appearances must be maintained, and the passage door allows for a far more dramatic entrance, n’est-ce pas?

“Only you would bring me to a house with secret passages. Why am I not surprised? Are there very many?

“Oh yes, Marlet House is a veritable rabbit warren,” she said. “Nana showed them to me when I was little. Did I frighten the King’s heroic airman?”

“Terribly so. You’ll need to stay until I recover myself.”

She told me a fable she had from her Russian governess. My attempts at something more she playfully rebuffed. When she left, I examined the panel looking for a way to open it but found no trace of a mechanism. Girls and their secrets, indeed.

December 30th - Some hours in the village of Hay. The single bookshop was a drab and disappointing little establishment. Lunch in the pub. I’d rarely seen Clarissa removed from London’s finest establishments. I was amazed how easily she blended into the local scene. In her plain wool coat and cloche hat she could have passed for one of the townsfolk. We talked about everything and nothing. Her time in China and St. Petersburg, my time in Hong Kong and Vladivostok, punctuated the comfortable silences. The only time she deflected was when I spoke of the future.

[Linked Image]

After tea, we walked in the garden behind the house. Clarissa led us into the hedge maze.

“Are you often afraid when you fly against the Hun, Oliver?”
“Why do you ask such a thing?”
“Because I know you’ll answer me honestly,” she replied. It was true.

Am I really so transparent?

“Yes, quite often, but not so much during the fight. The waiting, the anticipation beforehand, the stalking …that’s what’s most taxing to the nerves. Where are they? When will they come? Then the unforgiving minute after we spot the dots. Huns! In that moment the natural instinct to run screams loudest.”

“How do you manage?”

“I was well trained by Mr. Fairbairn and Smokey, and this war is not my first experience with fear. I sailed the Pacific before I flew for the King. They take a different form at sea, but Phobos and Deimos are old acquaintances.”

“Your typhoon,” she said. “Mountainous seas.”

“You remembered that?”

“Of course,” she said.

How strange it was to speak of such things, much less to a woman, but with Clarissa everything was different. We’d fought together. I killed men with my hands to protect her. She was as much a comrade as a lover. Her inquiry was the hard twist that opens the stuck faucet. Thoughts I’d never articulated now poured forth.

“It’s a rare Hun can outfly or outfight me, and my machine is faster than any plane now flying. There’s skill, too. If I’m smart, if I shoot straighter and hold my nerve just a bit longer, then my survival is very much in my own hands. True, the Hun I don’t see can still kill me, but I fight on my own terms most of the time. I’m not like the PBI charging the guns, or huddling in a muddy trench eating shells day and night. I live a strange life. At day’s end I go home to a friendly mess, white tablecloths, china, and a warm bed well behind the lines. I sleep safe and the fear can drain way.”

“And the dead?” she asked.

“Sometimes we see them die, but we don’t see their mangled bodies. They just aren’t there at lunch or dinner. That’s the hardest part for me, losing my friends.”

“It would be for you,” she said.

I laughed inwardly, wondering if Clarissa would grieve if I went west. She looked pensive in her silence, as if considering each point. We took one more turn to the left and entered the center of the labyrinth. She stopped then and turned to face me.

“Yet, you love it, Oliver,” she said flatly. Her light brown eyes flashed in the grey winter light.

How does she see me so clearly?

I didn’t speak at first. She tilted her head and raised her eyebrows in silent insistence. It was true what she said, though I was loathe to admit it. Those who fight it are supposed to detest war. What I had known for many months now found expression.

“I do. I do love it, Clarissa. The battle, the singularity of combat, the fear-stoked concentration, the violent exaltation when besting another man, I love all of it. There’s a purity to aerial fighting, as if all my training, all my faculties, achieve their highest expression in that single instance of man and machine as one. Vaunting forward, into the fighting where men win glory, I never feel so alive…

“I know, Clarissa…

“I know how to storm my way into the struggle of flying horses;
I know how to tread my measures on the grim floor of the war god.”

Gods forgive me, I do love it…

She took my hand and favored me with a long hard look. She nodded, then inhaled the chill air slowly, savoring the cold. “Proper winter is coming. Snow.”

Bridge again after dinner. Last night’s friendly game was merely a reconnaissance. Tonight, the balloon went up on the main show.

“Shall we make things more interesting?” asked Mrs. Walsingham. “Sixpence a point?”

I lost track of the point totals. It was the play of the game which now had complete hold of me. I’d not played poker in almost a year. I hadn’t realized how much I missed the excitement of gaming. It came to the last pairing; I would partner Mrs. Walsingham. We were both down by a similar margin and would need some big hands to close the gap. We gained steadily. On the final hand I held 5 hearts including Ace, King and Ten. King and Jack were two of my 3 diamonds. I opened with 1 heart. Mrs. Walsingham responded with 1 spade. Around we went three more times. When we got back to 4 hearts I was starting to worry. She had a loaded hand and was inviting a slam. Her bids were intended to provide her more information about my hand.

Think, Oliver! Think! What did Mother teach you?!

“Four No trump,” I said, hoping that meant I had no queens.
“Double!” cried Mrs. Chandos on my left.
“5 Clubs,” responded Mrs. Walsingham,” with a gleam in her eye.

Gird your loins, Oliver!

I tried to remember the proper conventions. My panicked mind ran in circles.
“5 No Trump,” I said not at all confidently.
“Seven spades,” said Mrs. Walsingham.
“Redouble!” Clarissa exclaimed. She smiled gleefully in anticipation of our looming defeat.

Grand slam. Mrs. Walsingham took us over the Rubicon, and she would play the hand. I sat as the spectator dummy and watched a grandmaster at work. Mrs. Walsingham won the trump lead with her queen, ran the A-K of hearts, ruffed the last heart then led all her trumps. She had 7 in total including A,K,Q and 10. Mrs. Covington had nothing and Clarissa was squeezed because she couldn’t guard both her hearts and diamonds. Grand slam accomplished!

Final tally had me ahead by one pound exactly with Clarissa on the losing end by the same amount. She did not look happy.

I was enjoying it thoroughly and my smug expression said it all: Pay up. Clarissa glowered at me.

I didn’t hear her enter the room, just woke to her warm body pressed back-to-back against mine. She murmured softly in her sleep as I rolled and put my arm around her. I listened to her breathing for a few minutes then drifted back to sleep. She was gone when I woke in the morning.

December 31 - New Year’s eve party at the neighbors. Usual questions about the birds. The food was lukewarm and oversalted, but the champagne was first rate and dancing with Clarissa even better. I stayed up hoping she would come but, in the end exhaustion took me. Next I knew she was excitedly shaking me awake at 3.00.

“Oliver, it’s snowing! Hurry, it won’t last!” Clarissa stood before me clothed in her furs.

As I dressed quickly, she stoked the fire and put two more logs on for good measure. I pulled on my short flying boots and threw on Coat Comma Warm.

“Softly now,” she said then proceeded to lead me through the passage and down a long set of stairs to the library. In the stables she dragged out a sled and we raced to the crest of the hill overlooking the pond.

[Linked Image]

Sledding down the hill so many times, Clarissa sitting in front of me. I’d never been in snow like that; the night was so still, filled with unearthly quiet. I was hauling the sled back up for yet another run when she hit the back of my neck with a snowball. The frozen spall shot behind my collar and crawled icily down my neck. I dodged the next projectile and I ran after her. She shrieked as I gently tackled her. We fell to the snow laughing. Her cheeks were flushed. Soft white flakes dusted her sable coat and her eyelashes. I rolled her atop me and we lay kissing in the snow.

“Your ears are cold,” she said with a knowing smile.

The fire was roaring when we returned to my bedroom. The snow had stopped and the emergent moon illuminated the landscape, reflecting silver light in through the windows. Her hair smelt of jasmine and her pale skin shone like alabaster in the contrasting light. No competition, aftermath of combat, or madness of longing drove us together this night. By the glow of the fire and the pearled rays of the moonlight, we joined in the slow, gentle dance of lovers meeting as if for the first time.

Afterward she stayed the night, curled up in my arms.

New Year's day – It was nearly noon when the house stirred. The staff were off and after setting out a midday breakfast in warming trays they repaired to town to celebrate their own new year. Clarissa was right, the late morning sun had melted much of the snow. Ocher patches spotted the frosty landscape.

Time to go. Time to return to the war. Fight the impulse as I might, it was impossible not to envision a future with Clarissa but whenever I did so the course never resolved itself. Any way forward lay cloaked in a darkness which even my wildest imagination failed to illuminate.

As it was with the Lampards in Shewsbury, my time here with Clarissa was like gift to me. Was it also a gift Clarissa gave to herself?

Our farewell felt more like Adieu than Au Revoir. We took a final walk in the garden. As we returned to the garden gate, Clarissa stopped me.

“Something for you,” she said, pressing metal into my hand. I looked, it was a sovereign, but not of any recent reign. Worn gold, it had a tiny hole at the rim as if to accommodate a chain. I turned it over and read the legend on the obverse then looked back at Clarissa in shock.

[Linked Image]
“Gloriana Regina herself,” she said. “I thought it appropriate under the circumstances.”

“Clarissa, this is too much. I can’t accept this…”

She stilled my exclamation, putting her finger to my lips.
“Shhhh. One pound exactly. Paid in full. A keepsake to remember me by,” she said. Her face grew quiet. No flash shone from her golden eyes. A look of sadness lingered then vanished abruptly.

I held her close, wishing that the moment and our kiss might stop time, at least for a little while.
I touched the cornicello charm at the base of her throat.
“You haven’t worn this until today,” I said.
“I didn’t need it. I was with you, mon cher protecteur,” she said.

“You shouldn’t bother writing me for a while, I’m going away and won’t get the letters, but when you hear from me again, I will expect your complete attention.”

“Where are you going?” I asked. “Does this have anything to do with that sashed fellow I saw you with in London?”

“Don’t be jealous, Oliver. Antoine is work.”

She took my arm and we started around to the front.

“What does that mean?” I asked.

“You have your war effort, I have mine,” she replied cryptically.

We stood by the waiting car. For a second the mask of her features slipped revealing again the hollow sadness I’d seen yesterday in the garden, but this time it mixed with resolve. I’d seen the look many times before a patrol. It was the face of one standing into danger. Clarissa would soon face a great trial of her own, I was sure of it. But what?

“I’m going to miss you, mon Aviateur Magnifique.” she said. Her hand touched my cheek, then she turned and walked into the house.

Last edited by epower; 03/22/21 10:38 PM.
#4560968 - 03/22/21 08:20 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Unteroffzier,
Jasta 8
Wassigny, Flanders.

March 22, 1918.

1 Victory confirmed

The Hauptmann said I would getting a different Aero machine a D-III like Wolf's. A Jasta was re-equipping with Tri-planes so I will be getting a hand me down in a day or two.. It does seem to be a comfortable a/c to fly and does Dive like a Rock

Attached Files 26006-6ab11229e311de276a0b9ad3b06d17cband truck.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 03/22/21 08:21 PM.
Page 265 of 366 1 2 263 264 265 266 267 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM