Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4560569 - 03/19/21 02:03 AM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

BA in Geography - Urban Planning. Never worked a day in this field as pay sucked unless you had a Masters at the time. This was after originally working on a BBA in Accounting, but found it way too boring. Worked full time and went to university part time my last 2 years so they took 4 years. Worked jobs in management and sales. Then decided one day to find something that was in real demand and I enjoyed, so I became a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic. Worked on many different things and aspects of the trade. Shortage of qualified workers so work is steady. No regrets......make lots of money. Likely will start my own gig at one point.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4560570 - 03/19/21 02:05 AM Re: College Degrees [Re: LB4LB]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Originally Posted by LB4LB
Funny now it seems that a Bachler's degree is not enough anymore. One needs to obtain a Master's now in many, if not most fields. I used to work with lots of people who were working full time salaried positions (which means 50 to 60 hours a week now), had families of their own, and were going to school for their MBA's. It seemed the only way they could remain "competitive" in the work force today.

Although MBA's seem to be everywhere now. That will probably lose it's value soon too.

Pretty sure this has already happened. Lots of book smart people that have master's degrees yet have no significant job experience and lack social skills and common sense.

#4560585 - 03/19/21 10:31 AM Re: College Degrees [Re: WolverineFW]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WolverineFW

Pretty sure this has already happened. Lots of book smart people that have master's degrees yet have no significant job experience and lack social skills and common sense.

The ones with MA's in stuff like Classical Latin and Philosophy and who also have social skills end up working at Starbucks. wink

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4560604 - 03/19/21 02:10 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Both Aldo and Wolverine bring up a couple of valid points.

Aldo's point about the stuff that is available on the internet, "Given the current knowledge that can be found on the internet, I view a current collage education as a purchased internship or tutorial" is spot on. Half of my online class materials direct you to videos on the internet.

Wolverine became an refrigeration and a/c guy. I just told an 18 year old that I know that she, she's really mechanical for a girl, should think about passing on college and go to a trade to school to become an electrician.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4560607 - 03/19/21 02:16 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I can tell you for a fact that licensed refrigeration/AC technicians in South Florida make really good money and are extremely busy. Between the booming population growth and of course the climate, there is no shortage of demand.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4560755 - 03/20/21 09:27 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I can tell you for a fact that licensed refrigeration/AC technicians in South Florida make really good money and are extremely busy. Between the booming population growth and of course the climate, there is no shortage of demand.

I hear the opposite about HVAC/R techs in Florida.....that they make poor wages unless they do large commercial or industrial. As for the busy part....all of them are.

#4560756 - 03/20/21 09:28 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by WolverineFW

The ones with MA's in stuff like Classical Latin and Philosophy and who also have social skills end up working at Starbucks. wink

Lol...that is because they are still lacking common sense....

#4560758 - 03/20/21 09:47 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about

Detroit Burbs
I can imagine the the HVAC business has gone the way of many other business's. Far less independently owned and operated. Those are the guys really making the big bucks. The bigger HVAC companies with large staffs probably don't pay all that great for a new guy just starting out. In the old days that was called paying your dues. Today I think it's probably worse. I have had a lot experience with HVAC/Electrician guys who worked on some of the larger Data Centers that I have worked on. Those guys worked very hard and were very skilled. It was not a job for a nervous person or someone who didn't like to sweat and get dirty.

“Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.” Carl Sagan

"I read the news today, oh boy..." some lads from Liverpool
#4560798 - 03/21/21 05:43 AM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Brit44 'Aldo' Offline
Every Human is Unique
Brit44 'Aldo'  Offline
Every Human is Unique

Skilled trades is defiantly making a comeback. The other day, I noticed a road side sign for a mid/small size contractor offering $15 to $40 per hour for finish carpenters. And that is Detroit burbs (Waterford), not SF or Austin. I did not realize carpentry had recovered to the level of the late 70's / early 80's. If your offering $40/hr, it is hard to stay independent.

TPA who TWI
#4560867 - 03/21/21 08:49 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Andy T Offline
Andy T  Offline

Boston, MA
My BS reflects a "going with the flow" attitude. I didn't really care for life sciences, but picked Biochem because my parents wanted me to be a doctor and I didn't mind studying and didn't consider saying no. Towards the end of my BS degree I realized computers had some more appeal, so I went for MS in the same school. Granted, I doubt that getting MS would make that much difference now (only exceptions could be government contracts where they specifically want advanced degrees).

BS in Biochemistry - never used, probably never will.

MS in Comp Sci - ended up being my career path. So far 20+ years in. However, there was very little that we studied in school that is used day to day. This is still not something I "care for", but it pays the bills.

Last edited by Andy T; 03/22/21 04:20 PM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Hey, Bitcoin, Elon doesn't like you.
by Mr_Blastman. 05/13/21 02:34 AM
I'll be damned !!
by NoFlyBoy. 05/11/21 07:13 PM
RM Jet Suit Boarding
by Red2112. 05/08/21 02:07 PM
Idiot for the day
by rwatson. 05/07/21 10:55 AM
The cost of Epic free games
by Blade_RJ. 05/06/21 08:28 PM
That mettalic smell you feel is actually yours !
by Blade_RJ. 05/06/21 05:15 PM
Shiny American Rocket, cheaper by the dozen
by Nixer. 05/06/21 12:48 AM
House of the Dragon
by PanzerMeyer. 05/05/21 05:45 PM
Some funny Facebook observations
by PanzerMeyer. 05/05/21 11:53 AM
Chinese Rocket
by carrick58. 05/05/21 12:26 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.