Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4560657 - 03/19/21 09:47 PM Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again.  
RedToo Online smile
RedToo  Online Smile

Bolton UK
Finland has been named the happiest country for a fourth year running.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56457295

Full List at the bottom of this page:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/happiest-countries-in-the-world

Last edited by RedToo; 03/19/21 09:55 PM.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4560662 - 03/19/21 10:22 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

That is nice but hard pass. Do not like cold.

#4560664 - 03/19/21 10:46 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
My fundamental problem with that list is that “happiness” is a relative term and what constitutes an “acceptable” standard of living also varies form country to country. Having said that, Finland has two major aspects that helps with its high “happiness” rating. It has a largely homogenous population and a low population density.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4560665 - 03/19/21 10:49 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think it's because hockey is such a big sport there. biggrin

#4560667 - 03/19/21 11:02 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: LB4LB]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I think it's because hockey is such a big sport there. biggrin

When I was a kid in Yankeeland, we were hockey NUTZ. My dad found this old Finn, first name Reno (sp?) who had a regulation rink he had built in his back yard! He had a Sauna too, and a nice frozen pond to jump into after. eek

I loved the rink, the rest was way beyond my 10 yr old Yankee puritanism.

The old fart slammed me against his boards more than once...always acted like he didn't like me. Then one night...yeah he had lights too, I got a chance to "politely" check him on his butt after bouncing him off his own boards when he was off balance.

He and I got along great after that. Sometimes I wonder where my life would have gone if we hadn't moved to Florida a couple of years later. I was a really good hockey player for a kid. For sure I would have learned to fight good earlier than I did. biggrin

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4560669 - 03/19/21 11:14 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Cool story Nixer. It might have not been that he didn't like you. It might have been that you where flying around out there and scoring too easily. That might be why he gave you a ride into the boards. The fact that you gave him one back probably got him to respect you. If you hadn't, he would have just kept on doing it.

salute

#4560670 - 03/19/21 11:19 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Iceland is another one that perfectly fits the profile I described earlier. The population is about 99% Caucasian and less than 400k people live in the country.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4560671 - 03/19/21 11:27 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
When I think of Iceland, I think of that 90's band the Sugarcubes. Bjork certainly was original. I have a friend who works for Cerner Health in Sweden. He just got transferred there last year. He and his wife love it there. Norway, Finland, and Sweden all look to be great places to visit.

#4560674 - 03/19/21 11:55 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Are Finlandan women pretty?

#4560685 - 03/20/21 03:16 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

That's an extremely generalized question don't you think?

#4560689 - 03/20/21 05:23 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: LB4LB]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Norway, Finland, and Sweden all look to be great places to visit.

Only if you can afford the astronomical cost of living.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4560694 - 03/20/21 07:47 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Lucky_1 Offline
Lucky_1  Offline

Mehlingen, Germany
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

That's an extremely generalized question don't you think?

I don't think his question is any more generalized than your assumption that only homogeneous people can be happy.

#4560695 - 03/20/21 08:57 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: Herman]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted by Herman
Norway, Finland, and Sweden all look to be great places to visit.

Only if you can afford the astronomical cost of living.

It's all relative though & someone living in the cheaper areas in the USA might say the same of e.g. visiting Beverly Hills. Here in the UK it is significantly dearer to live in London than most other parts of the country but the wages are higher to compensate.
& of course there are major differences in life/lifestyle in Scandinavia e.g. good & inexpensive public transport, universal healthcare & high social care/unemployment benefits. The important metric is what you can do/get with what you are left with after all normal expenditure. Are you familiar with The Big Mac Index (& it's variants)? winkngrin https://www.economist.com/big-mac-index

Last edited by BUFF; 03/20/21 09:05 AM.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#4560696 - 03/20/21 10:01 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I wonder what has changed in Finland.
It used to be notorious for high rates of suicide and alcoholism, mainly due to isolation and short daylight hours during the long winter.
Communication, information, entertainment and social media access thanks the the world Wide Web has improved citizens' lives mayhap

#4560703 - 03/20/21 11:56 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: Lucky_1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Lucky_1

I don't think his question is any more generalized than your assumption that only homogeneous people can be happy.

Homogenous societies don't experience racial strife and tension at anywhere near the major levels that countries like the US do. Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT saying that societies need to be homogenous but I am simply making an observation of the inevitable consequences that can result when you have a society with multiple different races and religions. It's human nature that I am critiquing here.

#4560704 - 03/20/21 11:59 AM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: BUFF]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BUFF
good & inexpensive public transport, universal healthcare & high social care/unemployment benefits.

And who pays for that? The taxpayers of course so that needs to be figured into the "cost of living" equation. It is not a separate entity.

#4560710 - 03/20/21 01:58 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

Pretty women are abundant all over the world. All nationalities have beautiful women.

#4560724 - 03/20/21 04:26 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted by BUFF
good & inexpensive public transport, universal healthcare & high social care/unemployment benefits.

And who pays for that? The taxpayers of course so that needs to be figured into the "cost of living" equation. It is not a separate entity.

& that's why I said "The important metric is what you can do/get with what you are left with after all normal expenditure". Tax is taken off before you are left with whatever you are left with.

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#4560824 - 03/21/21 01:09 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: RedToo]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
My current home, Denmark, second (first or second nearly every year) and I can only reflect on my own experience ...

- I work which makes me happy
- I get paid which makes me happy
- I then give half of every dollar I own back to the government which makes me unhappy
- Of the half I have left, the government takes 25% again in sales tax any time I buy something which makes me unhappyer
- My daughter got Corona but I never had to worry about her care because doctors and hospitals are free and well resourced and medicine is subsidised so that makes me happy
- She starts University in July and not only is that free, but the government pays her an allowance because she is studying, so that makes me happy
- She doesn't need a car, she rides her bike everywhere on nice bike paths and if she needs to take a bus or train or metro it comes on time so that makes me happy
- My son works at a childcare center where childcare is subsidized and his salary is paid by government and my wife works at a healthcare center and her salary is paid by government so I guess I can see where all my tax money goes so that makes me happy
- Beer is cheaper than bottled water, so that makes me happy
- The supermarkets are full of wine from all over the world so that makes me happy
- Soccer is the biggest sport and it is really boring compared to almost any other sport in the universe so that makes me unhappy
- Crime rate is low and I never have to worry about being shot because no one has guns except the police, so that makes me happy because the chances of the police shooting me are pretty low (so far)
- We have been in and out of lockdown a few times and each time there is no big fuss, people follow the recommendations for a few weeks and it works and then we can open up again, so that makes me happy
- We are vaccinating people now and all the oldies have been vaccinated, and all the healthworkers have been vaccinated and now all the vulnerable people are being vaccinated and pretty soon it will be my turn and now corona hospitalisations are falling dramatically because of vaccination so that makes me happy
- And did I mention beer is cheaper than bottled water?

So on balance yep, pretty happy.

[Linked Image]
#4560833 - 03/21/21 03:11 PM Re: Finland ranked happiest country in the world - again. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Lucky_1

Homogenous societies don't experience racial strife and tension at anywhere near the major levels that countries like the US do. Don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT saying that societies need to be homogenous but I am simply making an observation of the inevitable consequences that can result when you have a society with multiple different races and religions. It's human nature that I am critiquing here.

Pretty sure Finland does not have a media/government, hellbent on a race war.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.