Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4560027 - 03/15/21 01:09 AM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: DM]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by DM
True that I would get more with a dynamic campaign engine...

According to a Q&A I saw last year, they are working on one.

"Flanker" has been around for 26 years (congrats to ED for that run), maybe one day. smile

EDIT: On a related note, Eagle Dynamics turns 30 this year! cheers

Last edited by MarkG; 03/15/21 01:38 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4560057 - 03/15/21 10:32 AM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I can perfectly understand the complaints against ED for there not being any kind of true dynamic campaign system but at least they have acknowledged it and are working on it.

Having said that, the market forces are such that in 2021, ED is the ONLY developer making current-day jet flight sims. I can understand all of the praise for Falcon BMS but we also have to realize that BMS is a MOD for a flight sim that is now 23 years old.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4560065 - 03/15/21 12:13 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I can perfectly understand the complaints against ED for there not being any kind of true dynamic campaign system but at least they have acknowledged it and are working on it.

Yeah, but the complaints go back a quarter of a century when flight sim fans were comparing Flanker to EF2000 on Usenet. smile

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4560070 - 03/15/21 01:24 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG

Yeah, but the complaints go back a quarter of a century when flight sim fans were comparing Flanker to EF2000 on Usenet. smile

It could also be a case of Russian game design being fundamentally different in some aspects from Western game design. I just think it's sad that there's not a single Western-based developer today which makes combat flight sims.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4560104 - 03/15/21 05:03 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well, if you look at typical Western society youth these days, one does not need to wonder why...

If there was another live Cold War, and our youth properly understood the dangers foreign powers pose such as China, Iran or North Korea, then perhaps there'd be demand to learn about these sorts of military technologies. I don't want this sent to PWEC, however. What I want is a proper dynamic campaign engine in DCS so I can enjoy this beautiful sim environment properly.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 03/15/21 05:04 PM.
#4560246 - 03/16/21 05:28 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

Having said that, the market forces are such that in 2021, ED is the ONLY developer making current-day jet flight sims. I can understand all of the praise for Falcon BMS but we also have to realize that BMS is a MOD for a flight sim that is now 23 years old.

Mod or not...it shouldn't be discounted for just that reason. It looks nothing like your Falcon of 1998...and if ED releases an F-16 there will still be folks that would rather fly BMS. Hell...DCS World can almost be called an overhaul mod of Flanker 2.0. I bet there is still some old Flanker code in there. wink

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4560249 - 03/16/21 06:00 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: Force10]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Force10

Mod or not...it shouldn't be discounted for just that reason. It looks nothing like your Falcon of 1998...

That is indeed true but BMS only exists because a small team of extremely dedicated simmers and programmers decided that it was worth the effort to make even though they knew from the beginning that they wouldn't/couldn't be paid for their work.

In other words, with the current state of the highly-niche combat flight sim market, there's really not much room for anyone besides Eagle Dynamics.

#4560287 - 03/16/21 09:20 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

Mod or not...it shouldn't be discounted for just that reason. It looks nothing like your Falcon of 1998...

That is indeed true but BMS only exists because a small team of extremely dedicated simmers and programmers decided that it was worth the effort to make even though they knew from the beginning that they wouldn't/couldn't be paid for their work.

In other words, with the current state of the highly-niche combat flight sim market, there's really not much room for anyone besides Eagle Dynamics.

I agree...and it's a sad statement for sure. We all can agree that competition breeds innovation and a better result for the end user. That's the problem...with no competition there is not much urgency for ED to change. Regardless...the fact that BMS is created for passion instead of profit, shouldn't be a reason not to fly it. thumbsup

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4560293 - 03/16/21 09:44 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
Phoenix54C Offline
I am just a cowboy
Phoenix54C  Offline
I am just a cowboy

Emerald Isle
Force is right

These guys been dragging their heels for years...
Stop buying into the dam half finished modules and stand up to these dudes.

Mark my words

These guys have NO PASSION FOR WHAT THE REAL PILOTS SEE.

BMS PUTS US INTO THE WORLD OF A YOUNG F16 PILOT FIGHTING AGAINST THE MOST HEAVILY DEFENDED HOTSPOT IN THE WORLD.

No more milking the cow dry for these dudes...

Last edited by Phoenix54C; 03/16/21 09:47 PM.
#4560318 - 03/16/21 11:47 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Im okay with most of the products, though I am a simple military aircraft enthusiast, not a flight simmer. Thank god lol

#4560460 - 03/17/21 11:20 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: bisher]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted by bisher
Im okay with most of the products, though I am a simple military aircraft enthusiast, not a flight simmer. Thank god lol

And I get that...I'm not as much of an aircraft/airframe/cockpit enthusiast as I am a sim Combat pilot enthusiast. That's where a lot of differences are between many of us I think.

I want a Combat flight sim to have some actual immersive Combat in it...lol.

Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

#4560464 - 03/17/21 11:50 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Yes combat is a thrill, but for me a quick mission builder would meet my needs more than a dynamic campaign. I just can't sit at my computer long enough to get into complicated flights. I've always wanted to see a 'save in-mid-flight' option in flight sims for this reason lol

Though, a dynamic campaign would be an awesome option

#4560487 - 03/18/21 10:33 AM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: Force10]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

And I get that...I'm not as much of an aircraft/airframe/cockpit enthusiast as I am a sim Combat pilot enthusiast. That's where a lot of differences are between many of us I think.

I want a Combat flight sim to have some actual immersive Combat in it...lol.

I completely get this. The Russian developed flight sims have been often described as being absolutely great while you are inside the cockpit but once you are outside the experience is not that great since the immersion factor is just not there.

#4560488 - 03/18/21 10:37 AM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK

It could also be a case of Russian game design being fundamentally different in some aspects from Western game design. I just think it's sad that there's not a single Western-based developer today which makes combat flight sims.

Yep... I'm with you!

#4560504 - 03/18/21 02:37 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I am not a fan of Ed or DCS by any means, but I just reloaded DCS on a new rig after a year + away, and I must say it runs butter smooth and it feels like they have done a lot of work on the FMs(the Bf109Kurfürst anyway). The graphics of Normandy are simply stunning to me. Said all of that to say this, I recall the DCS QMG being really good for setting up and flying Quick missions, which can be fairly complex as I recall. I haven't tried it this time around but those who have never given a go lately might want to revisit it. I remember setting up really fun QMs with it and I would have to believe they didn't change it(screw it up) from last year. I am all for a Dynamic Campaign Generator, but there isn't always time to get totally involved with it, so keeping the QMG in good standing could only benefit DCS and its' fan base IMHO. In the end though, ED is still Ed and just a quick scan through the Forums over there and seeing Flatline, or whatever his name is, just blatantly confirms this. I have been an ED customer for way way to long to actually have hope that they will get a clue any time soon and actually finish the modules they have out there right now or even flesh out a scenario completely(WWII Normandy, for example), so I am going to just have fun in DCS here and there where I can and take it with a grain of salt. If a DCG appears, I will try it, but I will not get my hopes up or waste time following their shanagense promoting it. Then again, here I am commenting in the SimHQ DCS Forum so whoa to me, I digress already. Quickly I will exit stage left and head back to the other Forums and actually flying the Flight Sims that are much closer to fleshing out their stated scenarios, and there are many. FWIT my 2 cents. exitstageleft

S!Blade<><

#4560516 - 03/18/21 04:13 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Quickly I will exit stage left and head back to the other Forums and actually flying the Flight Sims that are much closer to fleshing out their stated scenarios, and there are many. FWIT my 2 cents. exitstageleft
S!Blade<><

What forums are those?

#4560536 - 03/18/21 07:55 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Originally Posted by Blade_Meister
Quickly I will exit stage left and head back to the other Forums and actually flying the Flight Sims that are much closer to fleshing out their stated scenarios, and there are many. FWIT my 2 cents. exitstageleft
S!Blade<><

What forums are those?

Il2 GBS, ATAG and SAS would be my first go to s.

S!Blade<><

#4560541 - 03/18/21 09:47 PM Re: Dynamic campaigns [Re: rollnloop.]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
I have to say, I've taken it on myself to get stuck back into DCS with the Su-25T... I'd forgotten what a little gem that aircraft can be.
Relatively easy to learn and fly... getting into relearning the weapon systems at the moment.
Another good thing about the 'Rook' is that it's totally free to download with the base game, so anyone that wants to have a play with it can do so at no cost whatsoever.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Trooper117; 03/18/21 10:46 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.