Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4559865 - 03/14/21 01:37 AM Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa question.  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I've read many reviews that say it is what WitE could be and praising it as the best thing to happen to strategy games in the last ten years. Not as much micro and a more enjoyable/easy click and attack type of game overall but still with depth.

Other reviews seem to show a lot of politics and infighting with General staff over actual battlefield play and that you cannot really influence the ground war like a traditional hex type game.

Anyone have it and care to give a review?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4559892 - 03/14/21 08:46 AM Re: Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa question. [Re: Ajay]  
RedOneAlpha Online content
RedOneAlpha  Online Content

LEGE
Originally Posted by Ajay
I've read many reviews that say it is what WitE could be and praising it as the best thing to happen to strategy games in the last ten years. Not as much micro and a more enjoyable/easy click and attack type of game overall but still with depth.

Other reviews seem to show a lot of politics and infighting with General staff over actual battlefield play and that you cannot really influence the ground war like a traditional hex type game.

Anyone have it and care to give a review?

The DC series is made by the same dev that recently released Shadow Empire, and also responsable for Advance Tactics Gold, in other words VR Designs...

He is one of the more respectable devs in the gener.
VR Designs Home site

As for your questions, personally I find it more enjoyable to play then the WitE/WitW series, mainly for the learning curve that WitE needs from the player and the micro management aspect in game. IMHO DC has a very good AI that dosent make silly decisions in there actions for the most part, and it can give you quite a challange. It´s not as predictable as some wargame AI´s, and theres a realistic logic to it, again IMHO. The political part is just another layer that you can turn on or off as you like, it does add a bit of chrome and it´s also fun to play, especially when you go against the Soviet doctrine as a Soviet leader in command biggrin

It´s been awhile since I played it so I can´t really give you a "fresh" review, but overall I really like anything that VR puts out, I would say go for it.

See below a pretty good AAR if your into that:
DC Barbarossa Campaign AAR

The DC series goes on sale once in awhile and when it does it´s a no brainer if your into wargames.

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4559961 - 03/14/21 04:25 PM Re: Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa question. [Re: Ajay]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I have them both, and even though they sort of cover the same ground, it's hard to make a direct comparison, other than to say I like both games. WitE is more grand, more complex, and covers the entire war. DCB is more streamlined, and smaller in scope. It also adds the political layer, so in this sense has more of a narrative than WitE. It imparts the sense that you are a within a chain of command, which removes some of the control, but Army Group and Corps commanders felt the same, didn't they? Some players will like this, some won't. In WitE you are in complete command, no one to answer to. I think both approaches work well, but make the games rather different.

DCB is not the massive undertaking that a grand campaign in WitE is. It's a better choice for casuals, or those new to the genre. This isn't dismissive, just that it is more accessible. Veteran wargamers will find a lot to like with DCB. I do.

WitE is massive and complex. I've played a few grand campaigns and for each side, and it is a huge time sink, with massive mirco. But what else would we expect. It's the war in the east! Supply is handled beautifully, and this is one area I give WitE much better marks. It is THE factor in this war, and the game does such a good job of driving this home and making the player give his supply system the attention it deserves. The way supply governs what happens and what your forces are capable of is elegantly handled, even for a game this old. I wrote an AAR for one of my German campaigns which can be found in the AAR subforum here.

Bottom line for me is both games are good ones, but go about it differently. DCB has a roleplaying vibe, where WitE is an omipotent perspective. Both are worthy of a run.

As much as I like WitE there is one thing that I despise, and that still baffles me that they designed it this way. A German player must adhere to all historical arrivals and withdrawals. If a unit was pulled from the east, and sent to say Africa, then it happens in the game too. Other units arrive as per historical timelines. So far so good. And this is the way it should be.

But the Russian player can build whatever the hell he wants. Need a new HQ? Easy. Some tank battalions? Just build 'em. Lost too many fighters? A couple new fighter squadrons will do nicely. The German commander can not even create a new headquarters, at any level. The Russian can make all he wants. This is silly and makes no sense to me at all. As a single player game it's not that bad, but as a MP game it sucks. Either let both sides build what they want, or neither side can. Why split it this way?

If you can, give them both a go.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4560030 - 03/15/21 01:36 AM Re: Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa question. [Re: Ajay]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

On a side note....WITE 2 was announced....

#4560051 - 03/15/21 08:37 AM Re: Decisive Campaigns Barbarossa question. [Re: Ajay]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Thanks guys, i'll more than likely pick it up when it goes on sale further in the year.

. I've dabbled in WitE and always had it on my radar as a game i really want to dig into one day, the part 2 announcement has had me checking in on it every now and again to see where it improves on the first one. Looking forward to it dropping and watching some play throughs for sure.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.