Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4559284 - 03/10/21 02:22 PM College Degrees  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Do you have a college degree? If you do what was your major and minor? Did you end up using the degree for your professional career?

My info:

Bachelor of Arts
major: Anthropology minor: History

I've been working in Information Technology for 22 years now so I obviously didn't use my degree. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4559285 - 03/10/21 02:33 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
So far just my AA, Associate of Arts.

Pretty close to my BAS in Business.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4559286 - 03/10/21 02:48 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Bachelor of Science Information Systems. It's so old that I hardly think it even matters anymore. There were still old punch card systems back then. Worked in IT for decades. I worked with many who had degrees not related to IT at all. In the old days, there were many who never went to college a day in their lives. Those were some of the best talents I ever saw. Too bad now days most of those type of guys wouldn't even get a HR interview because they didn't have the right credentials. Pay to play is in full effect now.

#4559288 - 03/10/21 02:53 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
I think that the college degree system works differently in different countries so it may not translate clearly here. I have a friend who is a retired USN Master Chief. He has as associate degree from the states but up here it would be called a diploma. I also have a friend from the UK who is a very successful marine engineer with a degree from England but in the US he is cannot be called and engineer.

My degree is called a Bachelor of Technology. It ahs nothing to do with IT. It is very similar to mini MBA for those who trained in building and engineering technologies. I spent most of my 40 year career working as a construction project manager so I did work in the field for which I was trained. I did however do an almost 10 yr stint in IT

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4559296 - 03/10/21 03:36 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
No college degree here. I took a small number courses at a community college, but mostly just worked out of high school. I got some technical training (I was a Novell Certified Instructor for a while), but never got any kind of college degree or anything.

I got into computer sales in 1985, and have been working in the IT industry ever since.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4559318 - 03/10/21 05:05 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Marketing and Sales.

First job out of college I was coding AI and automation for Unix/Linux/Solaris systems before I moved into investing five years later. I did not need a degree, or college to learn how to code like that--nobody does, but what I came to realize is coding/IT is a path of redundancy that I wasn't interested in pursuing further. I could see myself learning how to do the same thing over and over in perpetuity, thus wasting time on re-learning the same thing instead of creating new and better things all the time. Wasn't for me. Good job that pays well for many folks though, so I respect those in the field.

I learned how to read an income statement and a balance sheet in college? Beyond that, I pretty much learned jack in school about what I do now.

College was a waste of time. If I had to do it again, I would have majored in physics and maybe gone for a higher degree in something like astrophysics or quantum mechanics for fun. I taught myself much of these fields anyways, on my own, but at least I would have learned something interesting in school.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 03/10/21 05:08 PM.
#4559321 - 03/10/21 05:08 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bolox Offline
bolox  Offline

BSc Biophysics- we don't have minors in UK
No, never used it

"There are two things that are infinite: The Universe and Human Stupidity. And I'm not even sure about the Universe." - Einstein
#4559325 - 03/10/21 05:21 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

College was a waste of time. .

I met some really great professors at the university I went to but yes, had I known back then that I would end up in IT for the long haul I would have just gone to my local state university which was MUCH less expensive and I would have graduated debt-free.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/10/21 05:23 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4559334 - 03/10/21 06:12 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: LB4LB]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by LB4LB
Bachelor of Science Information Systems. It's so old that I hardly think it even matters anymore. There were still old punch card systems back then. Worked in IT for decades. I worked with many who had degrees not related to IT at all. In the old days, there were many who never went to college a day in their lives. Those were some of the best talents I ever saw. Too bad now days most of those type of guys wouldn't even get a HR interview because they didn't have the right credentials. Pay to play is in full effect now.

It's all part of the growth of elitism. In the old days your social standing was based on your family tree, now it's on whether or not you have that little piece of paper. Have it and you're in, don't and you're out. Personal merit and capability has little or nothing to do with it.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4559336 - 03/10/21 06:14 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
BA in Communication. I've been working in IT even when I was working on my degree. By that time, I just wanted to finish college, so I really wasted a lot of money on a mostly irrelevant degree which I'm still paying for today.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4559337 - 03/10/21 06:15 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Cajun Offline
Cajun  Offline

Lafayette, LA
Masters Degree - Rehabilitation Counseling Education. Degree required for my board cerfications and license.

Intel i7-13700K
Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Ultra
Radeo RX 570 (8GB)

#4559339 - 03/10/21 06:19 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: letterboy1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by letterboy1
BA in Communication. I've been working in IT even when I was working on my degree. By that time, I just wanted to finish college, so I really wasted a lot of money on a mostly irrelevant degree which I'm still paying for today.

Welcome back LB! I've not seen a post from you in a long time. smile

#4559340 - 03/10/21 06:25 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RedToo Offline
RedToo  Offline

Bolton UK
BSc in Ecological Biology and Physical Geography. Useful when working as a natural history museum curator, less useful now as a primary school teacher.

My 'Waiting for Clod' thread: http://tinyurl.com/bqxc9ee

Always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
Elie Wiesel. Romanian born Jewish writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, Holocaust survivor. 1928 - 2016.

Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts. C.S. Lewis, 1898 - 1963.
#4559345 - 03/10/21 06:36 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Welcome back LB! I've not seen a post from you in a long time. smile

Thanks. About a year ago I got moved from the Classrooms and Labs part of IT to Help Desk AND Classrooms and Labs - then COVID hit and I've literally got so busy that some things just got laid by the wayside. I managed to still post on Facebook with my attempts to post pictures of my misadventures in cooking, though. Next, tofu - how many ways can I ruin it?

#4559347 - 03/10/21 06:42 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Tofu? That’s the gummy looking stuff that is mostly eaten by the Japanese right? wink

#4559348 - 03/10/21 06:46 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Tofu? That’s the gummy looking stuff that is mostly eaten by the Japanese right? wink

Something like that. The challenge will be to find a way to fry it in butter to make the outside a little crispy. And then drown it in my patented spicy hot chickpea curry and put it over rice.

#4559349 - 03/10/21 07:00 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: letterboy1]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Something like that. The challenge will be to find a way to fry it in butter to make the outside a little crispy. And then drown it in my patented spicy hot chickpea curry and put it over rice.

You should try to get on one of those Food Network shows. wink

#4559353 - 03/10/21 07:13 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm feeling the love right now so please, as you always have before, cut me some slack on the wife gushing. biggrin

My only references to college was through my wife, including occasionally spending the day with her on campus and even attending some of her classes (the ones large enough not be conspicuous). She continued living at home (we grew up close to LSU) and with a part-time job, knowing that her mom (a widowed bank-teller with three kids) wouldn't be putting her through college. So her grades have always been super-important to her (shown are 11th and 12th grades)...

[Linked Image]

She went to college on scholastic scholarships (then received more), thus never having student debt (thankfully, as we got married during her senior junior year)...

[Linked Image]

^ That campus pic was bitter-sweet, taken the morning I took off for Atlanta for a job (500+ miles away). She remembers crying before the pic was taken, having just heard "Somewhere Out There" (Linda Ronstadt & James Ingram) during cool-down in her Aerobics class. Awww. smile

What little I experienced about college (LSU 1985-89), through her, seemed amazing to me. I wish I could do some things over.

++++++++++

Now she's studying a corporate software (SAP S/4 Digital Core) and I'm doing my thing next to her. Other than not going to the LSU library to study together, then dinner at Godfather's Pizza, it feels like old times. I’ll explain what I’ve learned (and still learning) when I publish my website.

Attached Files wife_report_card.JPGDSCF3676.JPG
Last edited by MarkG; 07/13/22 03:06 PM. Reason: clarification

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4559354 - 03/10/21 07:14 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Fresh out of Algonquin College and went for an interview. At the end of it was told I didn't have any experience to get the job. I snapped back at the person, "How was suppose to get experience if you won't give me a job?" I'm glad I didn't get the job from what I learned later about the company.

Algonquin is a community college for non degree at the time. One got a certificate, in my case Industrial Instrumentation, and never worked in the field.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4559356 - 03/10/21 07:20 PM Re: College Degrees [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Great post Mark and I vividly remember the Godfather's Pizza that was in Miami when I was a kid.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.