Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4558666 - 03/05/21 02:53 AM Any good plane/squadron?  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Tis me again. The new fella.

I've been flying a Scout campaign in the 11th RFC, (and oh lord is it bizarre with a side MG, but that aside) but I have a feeling that's going to end soon. Hence why I'm curious if anyone can recommend any interesting squadron or plane in particular, and why.

Hopefully this is in the right place and not going to be counted as spam or something.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
I bet you do, too, Buddy."
#4558668 - 03/05/21 03:16 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Try flying for 3 Squadron of the Royal Naval Air Service starting in late October or November 1916. You will be flying over the Vosges mountains of southern France in a Sopwith Strutter. Then you will transfer to the Flanders front and fly a Pup. If you survive you will move to a Sopwith triplane and eventually a Camel.

#4558670 - 03/05/21 03:23 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Raine

That covers most of the best, forgiving aircraft, in one career, not to forget the scenery in the vosges. The Camel on the other hand can be a challenge and is not so forgiving. Good suggestion!

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 03/05/21 03:52 AM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4558672 - 03/05/21 03:38 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
mandrews Offline
mandrews  Offline

South Carolina
Originally Posted by NotRelevant
Tis me again. The new fella.

Welcome. I'm not too far ahead of you.

I've been flying a Scout campaign in the 11th RFC, (and oh lord is it bizarre with a side MG, but that aside) but I have a feeling that's going to end soon. Hence why I'm curious if anyone can recommend any interesting squadron or plane in particular, and why.

I enjoyed "finsihing" a campaign flying the Sopwith riplane (1st RNAS - circa March 1917). I survived my first enemy encounters and even got my first campaign kill. The "finished" was a mid-air collision with another Tripe during a furball (not shot down, so that's a win). Why? It wasn't too crazy with activity, and the plane could hold its own. Not sure what would have happened if I'd have survived another month (Bloody April).

Hopefully this is in the right place and not going to be counted as spam or something.

Yup, you found the right place.

i7-7700 @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD (OS) + SSD (Games), GTX 1070 Ti, Acer Predator Z35p 3440x1440 GSync
#4558683 - 03/05/21 10:15 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: mandrews]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Originally Posted by Raine
Try flying for 3 Squadron of the Royal Naval Air Service starting in late October or November 1916. You will be flying over the Vosges mountains of southern France in a Sopwith Strutter. Then you will transfer to the Flanders front and fly a Pup. If you survive you will move to a Sopwith triplane and eventually a Camel.

Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Raine

That covers most of the best, forgiving aircraft, in one career, not to forget the scenery in the vosges. The Camel on the other hand can be a challenge and is not so forgiving. Good suggestion!

That sounds quite reasonable. What's that region like in terms of enemy/friendly activity?

Originally Posted by mandrews

I enjoyed "finsihing" a campaign flying the Sopwith riplane (1st RNAS - circa March 1917). I survived my first enemy encounters and even got my first campaign kill. The "finished" was a mid-air collision with another Tripe during a furball (not shot down, so that's a win). Why? It wasn't too crazy with activity, and the plane could hold its own. Not sure what would have happened if I'd have survived another month (Bloody April).

Sheesh, that's rather unfortunate. So far I've stayed alive, only got 2 kills, one of an eindecker and one of a balloon. Hadn't had any collisions but I've seen an ally have one. Most unfortunate indeed.

"Those who survive a long time on the battlefield start to think they're invincible.
#4558690 - 03/05/21 11:47 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
The Bristol Scout is great fun and yes the shooting can be tricky but you get used to it. If you can stay alive until mid 1916 the Roland two seaters show up and then you've got a real test.

3rd Wing RNAS in the Autumn of 1916 is flying the Sopwith Strutter in Alsace Lorraine. If you start off in late September early October you'll come up against mainly Eindeckers and a few Fokker biplanes as well as Aviatiks and Roland two seaters. The skies in Alsace are starting to get reasonably busy. Your airfield is a fair distance from the front, so depending on how much time you have available you can either take in the wonderful Alsace Lorraine countryside on your way to the lines or increase the time compression.

The Strutter is very agile for a two seater and you should be able to get the better of Eindeckers and Fokker biplanes but be careful throwing it about too much, especially in a dive. When you're ready, put in a transfer request over to another RNAS flight flying the Pup or Tripe.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4558790 - 03/05/21 08:09 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

1 agree, the ! and 1/2 er is a great a/c during the early years. or a N-11 provide U do everything slow.

#4558795 - 03/05/21 08:43 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Why pick a new squadron/aircraft(presumably /date)? When my career ends I simply reenlist in the same squadron the next day at a standard beginner's rank (one step below officer, when available), in essence becoming my own replacement.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4558801 - 03/05/21 10:22 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Great advice..Also Notrelevant, are you aware that you can make more than one pilot available mate?

You could have a British, German French and American pilot all at the same time (in fact you can have more than one from each nation flying different craft in different squadrons/Jastas etc).and activate the one that takes your fancy at any given time. I often have a couple on the go at once pal.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4558813 - 03/05/21 11:49 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: Adger]  
NotRelevant Offline
NotRelevant  Offline

Originally Posted by vonBaur
Why pick a new squadron/aircraft(presumably /date)? When my career ends I simply reenlist in the same squadron the next day at a standard beginner's rank (one step below officer, when available), in essence becoming my own replacement.

Well, for more variety, hah.

Originally Posted by Adger
Great advice..Also Notrelevant, are you aware that you can make more than one pilot available mate?

You could have a British, German French and American pilot all at the same time (in fact you can have more than one from each nation flying different craft in different squadrons/Jastas etc).and activate the one that takes your fancy at any given time. I often have a couple on the go at once pal.

Yup, aware. Just find it easier to focus on one dead is dead kinda career first than trying to juggle several at the same time, I guess!

Either way, lots of people suggesting 3rd RNAS. I'll look into that then.

#4558838 - 03/06/21 05:20 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Jasta 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ... etc...etc... up to 80a

Anytime in the war.

But I'm biased. I fly German!

But if you want some fun... Fly with:

1. Jasta 11 during April 1917. You'll fly with Brothers Richthofen and meet up with RFC 56. Really good fights there.
2. Jasta 5 during the same time to fly with the fabled "Green Tails" of Boistrancourt (personal favorite)
3. Jasta 18 around mid 1917 and you'll be with Rudolf Berthold and the red/blue markings of that famous Jasta
4. Jasta 17 in 1917 will put you with Buckler's "Mops" and Gross's "Fips"
5. Jasta 12/13/15/19 in mid-1918 flying the Fokker D.VII's of Jagdgeschwader II (JG. II) commanded by Rudolf Berthold
6. Jasta Boelcke (Jasta 2) in early 1917 for the black and white Albatros D.III tails of this very famous Jasta.
7. Jasta 40s around August 1918 will put you with Carl Degelow and the all menacing killers of the famous Jasta 40s
8. Jasta 12 anytime. They are a great Jasta and fly just about everything in a very active sector.

Good hunting!

OvS

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4558851 - 03/06/21 02:29 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Quite right OvS, Jasta 8 is one of my favorites, in late September early October 1916 they're kind of on their own up in the north of Flanders and seem to come up against several RNAS squadrons flying Tripes, Pups, Strutters and Nieuports..... basically you're up against it. It's great fun.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4558889 - 03/06/21 09:49 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: Albert Tross]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Originally Posted by Albert Tross
Quite right OvS, Jasta 8 is one of my favorites, in late September early October 1916 they're kind of on their own up in the north of Flanders and seem to come up against several RNAS squadrons flying Tripes, Pups, Strutters and Nieuports..... basically you're up against it. It's great fun.

Finally... another admitted lover of German technology and nostalgia! LOL!

Wait till you see the new Jasta 8 skins on the the revamped Alb D.II's packed into BH&H2!

Once you get it, and settle in on it, pop me a PM and I'll make you a personal skin... smile You'll just need to pick a number... you'll see what I mean when the time comes.

OvS

#4558890 - 03/06/21 10:25 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

I took these.. wow seems like ages ago OVS these your skins mate? Incredible work. Im really looking forwards to what the redone skins look like cheers

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We will remember them.
#4558894 - 03/06/21 11:15 PM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: OvStachel]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Originally Posted by OvStachel

Finally... another admitted lover of German technology and nostalgia! LOL!

Wait till you see the new Jasta 8 skins on the the revamped Alb D.II's packed into BH&H2!

Once you get it, and settle in on it, pop me a PM and I'll make you a personal skin... smile You'll just need to pick a number... you'll see what I mean when the time comes.

OvS

Wow, you should change your name to Don Corleone....talk about making me an offer I can't refuse winkngrin thanks OvS.

Yes until Jasta 18 arrives at the end of October Jasta 8 is holding the fort, apart from the poor MFJ guys on the coast of course.

Adger, great pics mate, the skins in WOFF are great and I'm sure they'll be even better in the new version.

#4558896 - 03/07/21 12:21 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
@Adger... I can only take credit for the first pic. Those are mine. The rest of those works of art belong to Paarma. He's simply over-the-top (pardon the pun) in skill set. Mine look more war-warn and beat-up. LOL. I'm happy we split the Albatros models though, they each have such personality!

Glad you enjoy them. Jump in with Jasta 5 in March 1917 and you'll see the early signs of the Green Tails as they switch from Alb D.II's, to D.III Early...D.III's then into the D.V series. It's amazing to see all the personal skins. My skins are all the D.III series (Early, D.III and OAW). Then once BH&H2 is released, you'll see the new re imagined Alb D.II model and skins! I paid close attention to Jasta 8, 16 and 19 as I was able to remake many skins, and use some artistic flexibility with others based on pictures, profiles, books and playful creativity. You will see the Alb, OAW and LVG built D.II's, each with their own marking styles, camo colors and specific factory paint schemes based on books by Jim Miller and Windsock.

@Albert Tross... well you're close... I'm American... however... of pure Sicilian decent and from NY. To say my family has roots in well... you know.. I can't say more. LOL! Whatever I offer you are in debt for life in return... HAHAHA.... I'm just teasing. I've done quite a few personal skins for members... Now and then I enjoy making them. It's always fun to see people enjoy the many levels of this amazing Sim we have all come to know and appreciate!

Regards!

OvS

#4558899 - 03/07/21 01:35 AM Re: Any good plane/squadron? [Re: NotRelevant]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

@ Albert cheers mate, beautiful skin jobs and yep BHaH II looks to improve on them even more.

@ OVS thank you so much for replying,yes they do have personality they are all simply superb..The immersion factor that i personally get from knowing who my Jasta Staffel are is second to none.
Thanks for the heads up regarding Jasta 5 im going to make a pilot and re-fly these beautiful German machines. I cannot wait to see your new work in the new sim, i've no doubt that the'll all look fantastic.

Best regards to you all.

We will remember them.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again