Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4558364 - 03/02/21 07:00 PM “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”.  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees

“Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. By William Shakespeare. (from Henry V, spoken by King Henry).

Well, I am pretty sure yours truly is the only one in my class who started his final discussion/course critique with a quote from Shakespeare. The class?

The course is Process Improvement Methodologies, one of the biggest collection of new age psycho babble crap I have had to suffer thru in college yet. I was going to critique the school texts author, so I did some homework on him and the textbook . I dropped that line of thinking when I saw another title by him. Nahhhh...

A couple of selections from my critique:

"As with most of these upper level courses, one of my struggles is with relating to what seems to be the assumed fact that psychology is the new language of business! When did that happen? Why did that happen? Elon Musk, at the 2020 Wall Street Journal CEO Summit, stated that “I think that there might be too many MBAs running companies” (Scipioni, 2020). I personally think maybe that there are too many psychologists, many with limited or zero business experience, teaching business in school."

Most of the professors in the "Business" department in my school have psychology related degrees it seems, and zero or limited real world business experience.

"Another suggestion is to find a text studying what is happening in American business now, versus almost 30-year-old theory from a Norwegian academic."

Was pushing an "A" in the class. I actually tried to comprehend and find useful tidbits in the course, not very successfully. Two more things to half-heartedly finish up today. I'll settle for a "B" I guess. I may get my BAS in another semester, having a hard time not rocking the boat...HARD!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4558365 - 03/02/21 07:17 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I admire you Nixer for going back to school but that class you mentioned sounds like the total kind of BS that professors who are divorced from reality love to teach so they can hear themselves speak.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4558366 - 03/02/21 07:23 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Just trying to exercise my brain. I am starting to think a better use for it would be to create some positive change in business courses in my state. They are, after all, approved, and partially designed, at the state level.

edit: On that note my state, Florida, I hear is going to start requiring an "employable" degree program to receive state aid. I sure hope so. No links yet, tracking it down.

Last edited by Nixer; 03/02/21 07:38 PM. Reason: More stuff

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558373 - 03/02/21 08:52 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Sunchaser Offline
Sunchaser  Offline

Houston, Tx.
"employable" degree to receive state aid? That will leave the football and basketball players and possibly the cheerleaders eligible.

I am sure any attempt to link university attendance with acquisition of employable skills will be pounced upon by the aclu and professors with tenure nationwide.

#4558375 - 03/02/21 09:32 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

All a person has to say is "I intend to teach this subject."

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4558377 - 03/02/21 09:44 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
A friend told me about it this morning, might be BS. Ran a few searches, no joy.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558380 - 03/02/21 10:38 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Nixer

The course is Process Improvement Methodologies, one of the biggest collection of new age psycho babble crap I have had to suffer thru in college yet.

I can top that. I once saw some "college" offering the most ridiculous "degrees" imaginable.

Like "Transpersonal Ecopsychology".

WTF........

#4558381 - 03/02/21 10:40 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Good one. Some college in Maryland I think, offers a BA in...wait for it...Puppetry.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558383 - 03/02/21 10:59 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I don't know how you do it Nixer. I too admire you taking on getting a higher education later in life, and being able to handle the enormous amount of absolute horse manure. I couldn't do it.

#4558386 - 03/03/21 12:28 AM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Just trying to hang in for the paper at this point LB4LB.

Let's just say I am becoming less "pliant" the closer I get to a degree.

Just wondering if anyone took a look at the second book linked for my textbooks author. Weird scenes inside the goldmine... behindcouch

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558392 - 03/03/21 01:41 AM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
My wife took courses on-line the last couple of years to complete her degree. I don't understand what 'diversity' has to do with geology and why we had to pay for her to listen to all the B.S. that went along with that class.

I'll repeat what the others have said: My hat is off to you for taking the classes you're taking. I couldn't do it. I was done with the classroom when I graduated high school. I certainly wouldn't be able to sit through a lot of that kind of drivel now.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4558393 - 03/03/21 01:52 AM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: vocatx]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by vocatx
I certainly wouldn't be able to sit through a lot of that kind of drivel now.

LOL, me either. Luckily, I am 100% online till done, if I make it. I have the feeling "they" know I am not your average "roll over and take it" student. For example, had a little financial aid problem at the start of the semester and lo and behold, all of a sudden I had the personal email and phone number of the assistant director of financial aid...for real. He said just call him for anything. BIG problem solved in minutes.

Heck, I have been really nice, although I do speak my mind when I think it is appropriate. No idea how that happened...

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558405 - 03/03/21 04:05 AM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
On that note my state, Florida, I hear is going to start requiring an "employable" degree program to receive state aid. .

This is EXACTLY what the Federal government needs to do in order for students to get any kind of Federal loan for college.

Oh, so you want to borrow 100k to get a degree in Classical Latin? NOT.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4558432 - 03/03/21 02:56 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I am gonna quit kickin this deadhorse deadhorse after one more anecdotal comment.

I had to do a little video for this class yesterday. Didn't want to do it, didn't like the premise of the assignment.

She was a very nice and responsive teacher, so I couldn't just blow her off.

So I made a little video, showed her around my little art studio and told I would much rather spend my time there than in front of a computer doing silly homework.

Then, after telling her I realize that the professors have very little input on the content of the class, I told her that I don't think that over 90% of what has been taught in this BAS program would have been of any use to me in any of my business occupations in life. I meant it.

In my life I have been in the front end and/or management end in the Real Estate and development business (15 years), the bar and restaurant business (almost 10 years), and a merchant mariner involved in offshore logistics for almost 20 years. Throw in assorted construction jobs in the midst of all that and I have a pretty varied level of experience. If this degree program is any indication, most of what they are teaching now was designed by academics, for academics, most of whom have zero real world experience in the subject matter.

They do love power points and needless verbiage though.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558435 - 03/03/21 03:01 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

If this degree program is any indication, most of what they are teaching now was designed by academics, for academics, most of whom have zero real world experience in the subject matter.

They do love power points and needless verbiage though.

Bill Gates was a college dropout. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 03/03/21 03:02 PM.

#4558590 - 03/04/21 03:09 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I am in shock this morning, for a couple of reasons.

I got an "A" on my hyper-critical final assignments and an "A" for the class.

I was semi-expecting to be hearing from the Dean.

She just said 'honesty and candor" are much appreciated", and that she realizes some of this stuff might be "hard" for me.

Then I had to pay for my $350.00 in books for the next half of the semester! Ouch!

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4558593 - 03/04/21 03:18 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Maybe they just don't want to mess with you. Could be that both your professor and dean both drive a Prius and they have heard about your exploits. biggrin

#4558595 - 03/04/21 03:22 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Then I had to pay for my $350.00 in books for the next half of the semester! Ouch!

My books for my freshman semester cost about $500.

This was in 1991.....

#4558684 - 03/05/21 10:56 AM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

My books for my freshman semester cost about $500.

This was in 1991.....

college is a racket... seriously...

[Signature deleted]
#4558694 - 03/05/21 12:52 PM Re: “Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more”. [Re: Nixer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I kind of followed my wife's college classes (LSU, mid-to-late 80's) and I don't remember a single one of these oddball courses. Accounting major, mostly statistics and financial stuff, with electives in Nutrition and Astronomy. Plus I recall many hot babes in an Aerobics class (an actual course). It all seemed really cool to me.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the computer lab was *really* cool (programming course in COBOL or Fortran, I forget).

Last edited by MarkG; 03/05/21 01:03 PM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.