Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4558292 - 03/02/21 06:13 AM A Possible Stutters Solution  
gecko Offline
gecko  Offline

I just saw this posted over at my normal stomping grounds at sim-outhouse, but I know questions about stutters have popped up here from time to time. Perhaps it will be useful?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/123294-FS2004-FSX-P3D-DXTFixerX-Utility-v2-3

I really know nothing worth mentioning about the topic or if it is applicable here, but I thought I would throw it out there just in case.

#4558299 - 03/02/21 11:19 AM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
MajorMagee Offline
MajorMagee  Offline

Dayton, OH
As I mentioned at the other site, you can run this in scan mode, and when I did the program didn't find any files with this problem in the OBD folders.

Service To The Line,
On The Line,
On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.
#4558305 - 03/02/21 01:11 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Aaah, were there but a single, magic bullet,
And that I could shoot it into my beloved WOFF’s heart,
And in the doing kill not her wondrous goodness
But instead send to the depths of Hades the one blight,
That, which prevents my love’s perfection.
To end the wretched stutter that taunts and torments her, and I.
That Satan’s stammer that, in its own evil humour,
Hides itself away until my love and I believe it gone,
Only to slink back from its dark place to torment and taunt anew.
Out, out dam’d stutter!
Oh if I could command it thus, to be gone so simply,
And that it would have died truly henceforth.
There would be perfect time then for my WOFF and I.

(from: Much Ado About WOFFing, Act 4, Scene 2)

#4558311 - 03/02/21 02:23 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Sweet words of wit and wisdom from thy lofty spirit, Lou
Thou hasn't spoken truly!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4558312 - 03/02/21 02:23 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Lou, I thought it was you had got rid of all stutters awhile back when you went SLI / Crossfire with dual video cards? Perhaps that was someone else.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4558313 - 03/02/21 02:24 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Oh bloody ell ..here we go again (it’s not a pop at you Gecko.) thumbsup deadhorse

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4558315 - 03/02/21 02:54 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Gawd, I hope not Adger! biggrin

And Gecko, I will also add this is no slight on you for posting that bit of software as a possible fix.

Hellshade, not all the stutters. Most, but not all. Even with my new build, which is lightning fast and loads and plays WOFF like a dream, there are still a few micro-stutters every now and then, usually about 7-8 seconds after a flight begins, in maybe 3 out of 10 flights. Also rarely, and I do mean rarely, when a massive furball and/or lots of ground activity is loading, in particular truck convoys, (which I've noted before seem to be a giant resource hog). I have stated several times now over the last couple of years, (at least), that I no longer believe it is possible to eliminate ALL the stutters, simply because the old CFS3 "pipeline" is not capable of handling the huge increase in volume being pushed through it by all the wonderful WOFF enhancements. And as Pol and others here have rightly said, every sim has little glitches and hiccups from time to time, so learn to live with it and don't let it spoil the fun. I've honestly reached the point where I don't notice them anymore, unless I am making a concerted effort to look for them.

Oh,and Robert - me, a lofty spirit? To quote my current DID pilot, "HAW!"

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4558316 - 03/02/21 03:03 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Lou,

I get so few of them now I don't notice them much either except, as you say, the first 6 to 8 seconds. I am possibly looking at upgrading my old i6700k to a newer Ryzen 5600x and a Sabrent 1TB Rocket 4 Plus NVMe 4.0 Gen4 PCIe M.2 Internal SSD Extreme Performance Solid State Drive (SB-RKT4P-1TB). No point in trying to get a new video card until the market stock and prices settle out. At the very least I think it will push my minimum frame rates up and maybe reduce the rare stutters even further.

#4558319 - 03/02/21 03:09 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Hellshade, that should be a monster gaming build when you're done with it, especially if you link it up with one of the late gen GPUs! As point of reference to my above outline of the remaining stutters I have, here are my current build specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-10600K Comet Lake, OC’d through the AI Suite to 5.0GHz
CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32gb (2 x 16gb) LPX DDR4 3200
Mobo: ASUS Prime Z490-A
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital BLACK 500GB SN750 M.2 SSDs ; 1 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA for onboard file storage
Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite
Video Cards: 2 EVGA RTX 2070 Super FTW3 Ultras with NVLink SLI Bridge
PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt
LG 34-Inch 21:9 curved IPS monitor with G-SYNC, 2560x1080 native resolution
Five large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, mobo, and card fans, (for a grand total of fourteen fans)
Saitek AV8R joystick
Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals
Track IR4 camera with latest IR5 software

I have the OS and other assorted programs on the C drive, and WOFF PE only on the D drive. Everything else in on either the old SATA drive or the 1TB external drive I have plugged in. As you can see, while not the latest cutting edge technology, this is none-the-less a giant killer more than capable of keeping up with even the latest GPUs out there. So if this set-up cannot totally eradicate the odd stutters, well ...

#4558328 - 03/02/21 03:48 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
I don't think mine will be any kind of a monster but it should be a reasonable upgrade for now. WOFF runs great already except late war when using time compression. Anything over 2X can sometimes slow the frame rates down sometimes into the low 30s. I think my poor i6700k is finally showing its' age. Just waiting on tax returns so none of it will hit my monthly budget. Hurry up, Uncle Sam! wink

Last edited by Hellshade; 03/02/21 03:49 PM.

#4558332 - 03/02/21 04:02 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Lou, you have a PM from me!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4558336 - 03/02/21 04:35 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Gawd, I hope not Adger! biggrin

And Gecko, I will also add this is no slight on you for posting that bit of software as a possible fix.

Hellshade, not all the stutters. Most, but not all. Even with my new build, which is lightning fast and loads and plays WOFF like a dream, there are still a few micro-stutters every now and then, usually about 7-8 seconds after a flight begins, in maybe 3 out of 10 flights. Also rarely, and I do mean rarely, when a massive furball and/or lots of ground activity is loading, in particular truck convoys, (which I've noted before seem to be a giant resource hog). I have stated several times now over the last couple of years, (at least), that I no longer believe it is possible to eliminate ALL the stutters, simply because the old CFS3 "pipeline" is not capable of handling the huge increase in volume being pushed through it by all the wonderful WOFF enhancements. And as Pol and others here have rightly said, every sim has little glitches and hiccups from time to time, so learn to live with it and don't let it spoil the fun. I've honestly reached the point where I don't notice them anymore, unless I am making a concerted effort to look for them.

Oh,and Robert - me, a lofty spirit? To quote my current DID pilot, "HAW!"

Haha me too Lou winkngrin . I agree with your posting in its entirety , I’ve personally noticed them a bit more since I moved my install from my Win7 boot to my Win10 boot, coincidence? Possibly. Not to say they weren’t there before but I never really noticed them, in fact I very rarely notice them now but yep they are there and like you’ve said it’s usually during the first 10 seconds of flight but..they never distract me from flying and enjoying this incredible piece of software.

I purchased MSFS 2020 on release, an incredible imo piece of work but the latest UK update has for me and many others been a disaster regarding stutters and big FPS drops, flying over London is a slow motion slideshow ..and that’s with a large team and a large budget, yes it’s much larger in scale but as previously mentioned by others I believe most sims and non sims (Metro exodus for 1 example) suffer from them, tbh the stutters are for me personally Wayyy more noticeable in those AAA titles I’ve mentioned than I’ve ever experienced in WOFF.

Regards Adger

We will remember them.
#4558343 - 03/02/21 04:45 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Adger, thanks for sharing your experiences with MSFS 2020 and the last update. I'd been considering buying it but have held off as I've read other places that it's a bit hinky in the "smooth gameplay" department, unless you are running a $4000+ state-of-the-art mega gaming computer. Besides, I can't find enough hours in the day to fully appreciate the one flying sim I do indulge in, so there's that too. biggrin

Robert, now you have a PM from me!

Hellshade, you may have a stimulus check coming as well that could cover the cost of the new card quite nicely. smile

#4558348 - 03/02/21 05:39 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Hellshade,

Briefly, so as not to derail the thread I just built a new rig with a 5600x. Still rocking a 1070 due to the GPU market madness. I'm hoping Elon will crash the Crypto market so the rest of us can get our hands on the new cards, but that's a rant for a separate thread. Even with the Antediluvian GPU, WOFF is extremely fast. Not done much flying with it yet, but Kaiserschlacht cometh soon in the DID Campaign. For reference, my previous build with the same card was an i5-6600K OC'd to 4.4 GHz.

Testing the new build on 3DMark Firestrike gave a Physics score of 24,795 with standard DOCP/XMP boost. 18,350 Graphics and 7869 Combined. These latter two are nothing to write home about and a function of the 1070. The Physics score, OTOH is up there. Not drilled down on a hardcore overclock yet. When I make some time for testing, I'll revive my Next 5 year build thread. I still have the old rig intact so it will be easy enough to pop the 1070 back in and take some benchmarks.

As for the word the Knights Who Play WOFF cannot hear,

"He said it again!"
"AHHHHH, now I said it. AHHHH."

Very rare with the old setup. I'm in the habit of doing the external view spin to load the textures. Flying over Paschendaele on 12 October 1917 resulted in an fps drop but for the most part the old rig was 60-75fps on my older 32" 2K 75hz monitor. New monitor does 144hz so I've set it to 1/2 frame rate in Nvidia inpector. Pegged at 72fps for the most part.

#4558350 - 03/02/21 06:04 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Good stuff epower. Glad to hear the 5600x is so fast like all the reports and real-world feedback seems to suggest. I'd be interested in what the FPS are in WOFF in 1918 with 2x, 4x & 8x time compression using your new rig, all 5s for workshop quality and Medium Air Activity on a busy part of the front, if you have time. No worries if not.

#4558356 - 03/02/21 06:39 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Any particular suggestions as to time and place, Hellshade? This DID is my first real foray into 1918.
BTW, I've been running all 5s with Medium activity all along

Last edited by epower; 03/02/21 06:40 PM.
#4558357 - 03/02/21 06:41 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
If you're looking to upgrade your CPU/Motherboard, I'd wait and see the prices for the intel 11 gen CPUs which are scheduled to come out at the end of this month.

#4558358 - 03/02/21 06:48 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: RAF_Louvert]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

Adger, thanks for sharing your experiences with MSFS 2020 and the last update. I'd been considering buying it but have held off as I've read other places that it's a bit hinky in the "smooth gameplay" department, unless you are running a $4000+ state-of-the-art mega gaming computer. Besides, I can't find enough hours in the day to fully appreciate the one flying sim I do indulge in, so there's that too. biggrin

No worries at all Lou ,and I don’t want to stay Off topic but fwiw if you’ve any interest in non combat aviation simming I really do recommend it. I’ve just shy of 200 hrs mostly in the A320 Neo and Cessna 172 and it’s been worth every penny, it’s simply breathtaking at times.

EDIT: Back on topic @GECKO..cheers for the link i gave it a whirl and i get this message on WOFF and WOTR "No DXT3/DXT5 compressed textures found in the path selected". cheers

Last edited by Adger; 03/02/21 09:42 PM. Reason: Tested DXTfixer

We will remember them.
#4558367 - 03/02/21 07:32 PM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: orbyxP]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted by orbyxP
If you're looking to upgrade your CPU/Motherboard, I'd wait and see the prices for the intel 11 gen CPUs which are scheduled to come out at the end of this month.

Have to wait and see what else comes out on it but so far this is what I'm seeing on the intel front.

Early leaked i7-11700k benchmarks leaked

#4558398 - 03/03/21 02:59 AM Re: A Possible Stutters Solution [Re: gecko]  
gecko Offline
gecko  Offline

Thanks guys, no worries. Was hoping against hope it would prove useful, but it was worth a shot!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.