Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 259 of 366 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 365 366
#4558143 - 03/01/21 03:13 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) ***** [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

MFair - Looks like Jeremiah got some considerable reputation whipping out the Six shooter. Pretty good shootin' with the Vickers and Lewis too! Nice work looking after the new men (tyros?) When I read Jeremiah's dressing down of Akert I couldn't help but hear Bear Claw Chris Lapp's exasperated voice, "Elk don't know how many legs horse have!" Looking forward to seeing where JJ's tale goes.

Raine - Flight Commander MacAlister continues his rampage! That R&R in Amiens did the trick. Maybe a Blue Light special next time, who can say? Oliver never heard about Chez Josephine, alas. Maybe next time. Congratulations on a well-earned DSO! Like his fellow Scot Mac (Beth in this case), George tends toward dark thoughts. Let's hope it doesn't lead to stabbing Commander Draper. More to our boy than met the eye initially. Cool pic of balloon and a flamer.
As for our portrayal of nurses, this was the time in history when they were making the transition from saintly/maternal to sexy. There was more than one bigamous marriage between nurse and patient. Married men going to great lengths in pursuit of side action has historical precedent. Still, Carrick's probably right about the flesh-eating lawyers and the wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Carrick - Thorpe has a wound stripe now. In some quarters that's better than a decoration as far as getting some "nursing." Your man rolls merrily along toward ace status. Keep in going! Some personal attention from these avant-garde Fem Fem dancers can only improve his aim. Do we have an impending Crossover between Thorpe and Jeremiah?

Fullofit - Anatomically fanciful snowmen. I don't recall seeing that in the "Book of Instructions." Well, one must introduce some levity to the No Fun League that is the Luftstreitkräfte. I swear I have to look that word up Every. Single. Time. I see Rudi, like Ziggy before him, is flying up the leader board. Very well done. The triplane looks like fun, when the weather relents that is. I do hope things clear up soon or I worry for the health of the Jasta. If this continues, Rudi and the boys may be heading into Kummerspeck territory. Is there one of those wonderful compound German idioms for hair of the dog?
Rudi's blossoming attachment to Berta proceeds apace. I've been in poor Oliver's head with difficult women for a long time so it's doubly nice to read about the early stages of love. Forgive my asking, I've been far out of the loop, have the two lovebirds met?

Lou - 18,500! Freddy appears to have impressive Eustachian tubes among his physical gifts. Nice weather for it. Has he got himself one of the new Sidcot suits? Oliver was thinking about having his tailor at Kingsman put one together. There's talk that some egghead is working on a way to electrically heat them.
Oh dear. As if attacking Rumplers weren't difficult enough, now the new lad comes vaunting forward. Would have liked to be a fly on the wall for that talking to.
Lubricating the claims office! Shocking. There something wrong with the universe when morally 'malleable' persons can't be counted on to follow through when bribed, err, treated. What's this war coming to?
Freddy's meteoric rise continues I see. Nearly 50! Impressive.
WTG, Papa Abbott! Worldly and military glory, a nice lady friend, and now finally the positive personal and financial attention of his PATER. Not a bad month for young Abbott.
In answer to your query, the American hospital stationary popped up in a garden variety Google images search. "American hospital Paris letter" and yes that is a rabbit hole of a different kind.

Last edited by epower; 03/01/21 01:42 PM.
#4558151 - 03/01/21 04:09 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

À la Recherche du Temps Perdu - Part 54 of many

13 December 1917
56 Squadron RFC
Laviéville, France

9.45 Not much sleep. The headache is back in force and the flat rays of the morning light slice painfully. Line patrol from Lens to the Cambrai-Arras road. We flew low, searching for enemy ground attack machines. At Lens, over our lines, archie bursts bracketed the flight. Oil sprayed onto my windscreen. Breaking formation, I flew west along the Arras-Bethune road. Engine glug-glugging in protest along but she held 1200rpm. I made for the aerodrome at Bruay.

[Linked Image]
Settling gently toward the field… Caesar’s ghost! A fence!

[Linked Image]

Enough left in the engine to power over the obstacle. I landed intact at Brauy, and pulling up to the hangar was greeted by two familiar faces, Mitchell and Johnson! Bruay was the new home of 54 Squadron.
Mitchell and Johnson soon diagnosed the trouble with B54 and set to work. The Archie blast had sent a jagged shard across the manifold and sliced off 3 spark plugs. No wonder she griped so!

An ebullient Biggins greeted me as I entered the Squadron office and presented myself to the new Commanding Officer, Major R.S. Maxwell, MC. It would be some hours before B54 would be airworthy so in the interval I visited with Major Maxwell and with the return of the morning patrol, joined the squadron for lunch.

Of the original squadron who sailed for France in December of 1916, none remain. Major Horn, Uncle, and S.G. Rome left for HE last month. F.J. Morse, lyricist extraordinaire of Cinquante-Quatre, followed them to England just a week ago. Of those I flew and fought with, M.E. Gonne was still there as were ‘Milford’ Hyde and Roman Ackers, these latter two now senior flight commanders.

Ackers was soon to England and not happy at the prospect. He may be the only man in the RFC assigned to Home Establishment who will take his leave in France - Corbie to be precise. The divine Madame de Rochefort compels him still. I was back among old comrades again. He and Milford caught me up on the news of our squadron mates including the incredible news that Goodbehere is alive and a POW! Two days ago the Huns dropped a note to that effect. Goodbehere is still alive.

I saw Milford and Ackers off on their afternoon show. Parker found me in the ‘A’ Flight hangar. He had word from his contacts in London.

“You’ve run afoul of a dangerous bunch there, sir. A right mysterious lot they are that bear the Dragon’s Eye, that being the particular mark of which you made note. Connected with some very sordid activities, but very discrete, very ‘ush ‘ush, if you take my meaning. All manner of fantastic rumors knocking about: foreign spies, arms merchants, murder for ‘ire and the like. Some gentlemen of my acquaintance suspect the involvement of a certain shadowy figure, name of ZZ. Nobody knows for certain,” he said.

“Many thanks. I could always count on you, Parker. I’m obliged.”
“Good luck, sir,” he said uncharacteristic emotion coloring his voice. “Do take care in London.”

14 December 1917
56 Squadron RFC
Laviéville, France

9.00 On standby since just before dawn. Message from forward observers of low Huns over our lines at Bullecourt. Orders were to intercept then extend east and patrol offensively into Hunland. No sign of Huns at the lines. After 20 minutes, climbed to 9000 feet then headed east towards Douai.

[Linked Image]
A solitary Rumpler broke apart under Blenkiron’s fire.

No further e/a sighted.

Orders from on high: “You will report to the School of Special Flying, Gosport on the 2nd of January 1918…" After completing my instructor training, I’d receive an as yet unknown posting.
Major Balcombe-Brown told me I have the reputation to refuse again if I wanted to make a fight of it. I replied that I’d best accept or Boom would ship me back to the States to sell War Bonds.

Now that I’m off to HE, B-B doesn’t want me flying anymore. Officially, I’m grounded but after arguing the point, I convinced him to let me spend my remaining time training the new men. B-B gave his assent after a lengthy tussle and only after extracting a promise that I would not fly east of Laviéville. We both agreed that Maybery should take over command of 'A' Flight.

I was secretly relieved. A great exhalation came upon me then. As when a man carrying a great burden for many miles finally sets it down, only then to realize how close he was to complete exhaustion.

15 December 1917
56 Squadron RFC
Laviéville, France

My mind hasn’t caught up to current events as yet and still ranges the familiar steps before a combat patrol. I took the two new arrivals, L.W. Williams and K.W. Junor, on a two-hour practice patrol. Junor will join ‘A’ Flight when he’s ready. After lunch I set them to Professor Strugnell’s map quiz. Both sides regrouping after the Cambrai fight so there’s additional time for training.

The headache is gone today and I’m less sensitive to the light. I’ve neglected the bag and it shows as I gasp for breath after a short interval of work. How quickly one loses fitness. Will it be similar with my aerial combat skills?

Ran into Albert and sent a telegram to Eliza with the news. I have two weeks leave coming. Will she still be in Paris? Another wire to Smokey. I’ve not heard from the Old Bull in some time.

Beery Bowman is next up for leave tomorrow. We both share deep concerns about Maybery. Richard is visibly tired. Of all the flight commanders he expends the most mental energy when leading. Beery remains as indefatigable as ever and shows no sign whatever of fatigue or strain. Nothing seems to affect him. Mac and I fall somewhere between the two extremes. Beery practically begged Richard to take his leave, saying he was only going to Paris anyway. Richard wouldn’t hear it and steadfastly refused the offer.

Beery will miss my farewell celebration. We spent much of the night in conversation. He is one of the very best flight commanders I’ve met in France and a good friend these past months. I’ve no doubt he’ll be commanding a squadron in short order.

16 December 1917
56 Squadron RFC
Laviéville, France

Telegram from Eliza:

How Marvelous your HE posting - Prayers answered - Impossible Paris for X-mas lovely idea - Vagabonding tomorrow next six weeks. Yours, E

Oh hell. What rotten timing. Another of Eliza’s confusing telegrams. Were her prayers answered by my HE posting or the impossibility of our spending Christmas in Paris? She set my mind on fire with her last letter by hinting some all-encompassing ‘explanation’ which might set things aright. She ended the telegram with “yours.” She’s never done that before. What does it mean? I hold to the thread of hope but the longer we remain apart the more it begins to fray. No word from Smokey either. I vented my agitation on the bag.

17 December 1917
56 Squadron RFC
Laviéville, France

My last day with 56 Squadron. Training patrol this morning with Williams Junor and the three fledglings from A-Flight, Stewart, Blenkiron and Durant.

After lunch, Flight Sergeant Pickett assembled the entire company of A-Flight. Mac, with his ever-present Box Brownie camera took a number of pictures which he promised to send along. Allyn and Moody gave me a framed picture of the mechanics and riggers with whom I’d worked so closely. The photo was signed by the men. Allyn, back row second from left and Moody bottom right.

[Linked Image]

The NCOs and men of A-Flight had not been idle in their few off-hours. They had taken up a subscription and presented me with a crocodile and silver flask from Harrods. One side bore the winged crest of the Flying Corps, on the obverse an inscription read:

Captain O. A. Winningstad, VC
from ‘A’ Flight, No 56 Sqn R.F.C
Laviéville 1917

I made my way through the group then, shaking each man’s hand in turn. My emotions threatened to get the better of me.

Flight Sgt. Pickett had one final gift, and stepping forward with both arms extended, as though presenting a sword, he held before him a narrow black velvet bag, 3 feet long. Inside was a thick and heavy stick, grown in a gnarled spiral and shod at one end with light brown metal. Well varnished, it ran slightly longer than the thin rattan canes I’d always disdained and it was far more substantial.

[Linked Image]

A vitis! The vine staff of the Roman Centurion. Ancient ancestor of all the officer’s canes and swagger sticks. This I would carry with pride.

“We thought to have it for your 100th Hun, sir, but didn’t want to jinx things. Took a bit of time to find just the right one,” Pickett explained. Noting my examination of the shod end he went on, “from a bushing, sir. Weariless bronze it is.” Was Pickett a secret classicist?!

‘It is indeed,” I said, barely covering the quaver in my voice as I fought the constriction in my throat, and the tears that threatened to follow. A deep breath, and long slow exhale. Flt. Sgt Pickett and the others waited in respectful silence as I gathered myself.

“I thank you,” then raising my voice to address those assembled, “I thank you all. It has been my honor to serve with each of you. I owe my life to your great skill and tireless dedication to duty, as do all the pilots of 56 Squadron. The squadron’s achievements are your own to share equally with the pilots whose names and decorations grace the honors board. The brilliance of those letters shines on you as well – you who have helped to carve them.”

Tonight’s dinner, I later learned, was a long-planned affair. Entering the Anteroom, I was pleasantly surprised to see Major Baring and Lt. Colonel Playfair, OC 13th Wing in attendance. Both offered effusive congratulations, their faces betraying what I now believe was relief. The orchestra were in top form, and after a sumptuous meal, B-B made a surprisingly good speech. He seemed quite a different man altogether as the revelry began in earnest. Despite the high spirits, the night remained one of celebration and didn’t quite cross into the madness of a binge. As I had in countless fights, so too the furniture survived by the narrowest margin.

[Linked Image]
A few photos for the scrapbook.

18 December 1917
Laviéville to London

Early start. Harris brought me tea and biscuits at 5.00. Mac and Richard were hors du combat. We had spoken our farewells last night, or was is this morning? At 5:30 I was in the mess eating a light breakfast. Harris had my luggage in the Crossley and we said our goodbyes. His was a more understated presence than Parker’s but both were expert in their duties. I have been fortunate in my batmen.

Major Balcombe-Brown came to see me off. “Godspeed Winningstad,” he said as we shook hands. “I shall miss our lively discussions. A good argument now and then can be just the thing, what?"

Here at the end, I felt a kinship of sorts with B-B. We were the two of us, odd ducks.

“Good luck, sir and thank you. I’ll hope to see you in the Spring and we can have another go.”

6.00 Departed Laviéville for Boulogne. 1st A/M Zenthon drove the Crossley even more aggressively than had 1 A/M Swift. Privately, I wondered if the two were in some sort of competition. Gloomy ride north. My thoughts turned dark. Once again, I was leaving my comrades, my brothers; at least this time it was of my own volition.
8.55 arrived Boulogne, in time to catch the morning boat.

Large swells raced down the Channel. I headed forward, rejoicing in smell of the salt air and the spray veiling over the bow. The sea! Ever it restores me. Uneventful, if choppy crossing; airships overhead and destroyers abeam. By 3.00 I was walking into the lobby of the Royal Automobile Club, confident of a room having cabled them the day before.

Settled into the RAC. Spent an hour in the gymnasium, followed by a swim, the Turkish bath then the Frigidarium.

Savoy Bar at 6.00pm. Recognized a few men I knew from training but didn’t meet anyone I knew well. Jimmy as ever was there with a drink and the latest gossip. Rumors of a German spy ring penetrating the highest echelons of government are making the rounds. Dinner at the grill then back to the RAC for an early evening. Strange to be back in a city again. The VC always draws notice. In October I basked in the attention, but now the many eyes and looks bring a feeling of unease.

Last edited by epower; 03/01/21 01:51 PM.
#4558153 - 03/01/21 04:29 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Oliver's EOM stats. He's now with HE

Captain Oliver Alden Winningstad, VC DSO & Bar MC
56 Squadron RFC ----------> Home Establishment
SE5a
284 missions
378.8 hours
112 victories
157 claims

Last edited by epower; 03/01/21 01:55 PM.
#4558190 - 03/01/21 01:47 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Epower - A wonderful send-off for Oliver by the officers and men of his now old squadron. And such thoughtful and touching gifts, it's no surprise that Ripper had to fight back a tear or two. Unfortunate he and Eliza weren't able to connect up for the holidays, though given that letter it's hard telling just what their reunion might have been like at this point - the woman is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. And speaking of women and mystery and such, will we be seeing a return of Oliver's other femme fatale? And what of the wicked Mr. ZedZed?
On to HE, am I correct in assuming one thing your man won't miss will be having to trust his life to that dam'd Hisso? At least at the schools he'll be over friendly ground when and if he's flying one and it inevitably conks. By the way, Ripper's latest EOM stats for missions and hours are precisely the same as Freddy's - what are the odds, eh?

#4558192 - 03/01/21 01:54 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Lou - Oh dear. It was late and with dull brain I cut and pasted Freddy's as a template since I wasn't sure of the listing format, being so rarely able to post such things due to , err... chronological challenges.

Edited post to reflect 284 missions and 378.8 hrs.

Last edited by epower; 03/01/21 01:57 PM.
#4558193 - 03/01/21 02:08 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Ah, well that explains it then. biggrin

1 March 1918
65 Squadron R.F.C.
Poperinge, Belgium

"Fly along the Hun rear trenches from Plugstreet to Vimy", they said. "Be sure and take note of any unusual activity or troop movements", they said. All well and good, provided you ignored the fact that the bottom of the endless, thick, gray cloud deck was just under 4,000', making Archie a very real threat, not to mention all the errant small arms fire from the hostile trenches. But Captain Abbott and the boys of 'B' Flight did the best they could, popping in and out of the clouds, bobbing and weaving all along their assigned route, there and back, for nearly two hours. Upon returning to camp, which all five Camels managed despite the venting they took from shrapnel and bullets, reports were filed noting that there was indeed a bit of ground activity here and there in Hunland, but what it meant would have to be sorted out by HQ. As far as Freddy and the lads were concerned, their job was done for the day, and it was time to warm up with some hot tea and toast in the mess while the Ack Emmas patched up their kites for the next adventure.

Temporarily hiding in the clouds in an effort to throw off Archie, with marginal success. It was a miracle none of the King's airmen were injured, given the venting their planes took during the outing.
[Linked Image]

#4558205 - 03/01/21 03:23 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Wow what detailed storties and great pics.Almost let my coffee get cold reading and looking at the pics.

#4558208 - 03/01/21 03:30 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Carrick - Too funny. Been there a number of times. The cold coffee of distraction reading

Btw, that fellow in the middle picture and the middle lower right is Thorpe's commanding officer.

Last edited by epower; 03/01/21 03:30 PM.
#4558213 - 03/01/21 04:25 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Good day gents! Trying my best to keep up. Epower, great to see you back in action! Wonderful yarn.

March1, 1918
Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson
41 RFC, Lealvillers.
19 missions
18 hours
5 victories
9 claims

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4558220 - 03/01/21 05:24 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I've just been catching up on following this thread and must say there are many fine stories being recorded here. I very much enjoyed the read this morning while having my coffee. Epower, your latest contribution was particularly enjoyable.

Best Regards to all.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4558262 - 03/01/21 09:57 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

epower: Bowman was a flight mate in 41, but I dont know his job description

#4558265 - 03/01/21 10:04 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

J.K. Thorpe
Sgt, Rfc. M.C. MM.
41 Sqn
Lealvillers, Flanders.
4 Victory
5 Unconfirmed

March 2, 1918.

B Flight had Escort so I took my two chaps along then split up as a Diversionary tactic and flew to the lines and back. No Contact

Attached Files CFS3 2021-03-01 13-00-45-52.jpgCFS3 2021-03-01 13-33-00-44.jpgCFS3 2021-03-01 13-44-36-61.jpg
#4558266 - 03/01/21 10:17 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Carrick (and MFair too) - Oliver's pal Geoffrey Hilton "Beery" Bowman took command of 41 Squadron on 3 February 1918. I'm not sure when he actually arrived at Lealvillers. His service record attached below show a report date of 22 February 1918.

Attached Files Bowman Casualty card.jpg
Last edited by epower; 03/01/21 10:20 PM.
#4558275 - 03/01/21 11:35 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Epower, don’t worry. You’re not the only on who wants to write Luftwaffe. Interesting fact, my iPad remembers Luftstreitkräfte from writing it so much that it autocompletes the word for me as soon as I start writing Luft.
The Dreidecker is fun in a fight, but a total pig if you need to fly straight. Try it. It’s impossible.
As for the idioms, I’m afraid my Googlerman is as good as yours. Now, Berta and Rudi have been raised together. Children of two close families. Always told that they will end up together when they grow up. Sort of a reverse arranged marriage.
I see Oliver had an unexpected surprise (as opposed to an expected surprise) when he landed at Bruay. Being reunited with his old squadron must have brought back some memories. Too bad that nearly everyone he knew had gone, except M.E. Gonne of course. And what wonderful news of Goodbehere! Here’s a RFC pilot that is sure to survive the war.
I’m not sorry Eliza has no time for Oliver. Clarissa will surely make the time and definitely make it worthwhile.
For now, a celebration with old friend and parting gifts will have to do. That is definitely a cane that elicits respect.
So, here we are. Safe and sound in good old Blighty. What will Oliver get himself into this time? Perhaps he will finally meet a stable dame this time? One that will not be chased by shady characters, or one without a shady past. Looking forward to some quiet time.

Lou, what was Abbott’s mission? Take the Camels out for a walk and vent them? HQ continues to amaze with their ignorance/incompetence.

1 March, 1918 09:45
Toulis, Marne Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Offizzierstellvertreter Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO
34 confirmed kills

“- Finally some action!” Fuchs sat down in his chair and took a few deep gulps of his beer.
“- Ja, beats sitting around and darning our socks.” Tybelsky agreed, taking a small sip from his own Stein.
“- Did you get any of them?” Albert was referring to the recent dogfight.
“- The dirty Franzosen came out of the sun as we were approaching our patrol area over Vaux-les-Rubigny aerodrome. I let all of them fly overhead except one which was doing stunts in front. I knew he was the bait and I was supposed to take it. So I did. He was ready for me and we circled each other. I continued to check my back waiting for the inevitable attack from one of his mates, but it never came. It looked like the rest of the Schwarm took care of any surprise attackers for me. That suited me just fine and I concentrated on my target in front. I was sure I did some serious damage to his engine when he was diving away and exposed his belly to me. After that he went down low. I didn’t follow, there was too much work to be done up above. I lost him from sight but I’m sure he never made it home with an engine riddled with my bullets. Soon after I latched on to another Franzose and had him filled full of lead. He took a lot of punishment and went down only after one of his wings was blown off.” Rudi remembered to breathe and finished his first beer.

YouTube Link

“- It was quiet after that, except some Flak to my left. It was one of the SPADs returning from the fight. He seemed damaged because my Fokker caught up with him in no time. A solid burst into the fuselage and the turkey was going down in a spiral.” Fuchs “dusted off” his hands in his usual manner. Tybelsky knew the story was over.

YouTube Link

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4558276 - 03/01/21 11:38 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
End of February statistics.

Flight Commander George Euan McAlister, VC, DSO, DSC
8 Squadron, Royal Naval Air Service
Bray Dunes, France

Missions: 85
Hours: 61.6
Claims: 71
Kills: 40

#4558278 - 03/02/21 12:09 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Fullofit, I am enjoying Rudi's adventures in his new triplane. I regret that I have never had a career that got far enough along to let me fly one.

Lou, wonderful to have Freddie back.

Epower, so a little bit of the story of the dragon's eye is out of the bag… And Eliza always leaves you reading between the lines. Oliver will be back at the heavy bag. Best of luck in home establishment.

Carrick, one more to go until ace status. Hang in there!

George has a change of scenery…

War Journal of Flight Commander George Ewan MacAlister, DSO, DSC

8 Squadron, RNAS
Bray Dunes, France

Part 25

[Linked Image]

I have been told that February is often mild in France but this year is an exception. Snow flurries and sudden cold rain have marked the last week of the month. On 25 February we had a rare spot of clear weather and I led a line patrol along the southern part of our sector. We ran into a formation of Pfalz scouts and I chased one into Hunland and sent it down. It was not witnessed and thus, as they say, my Hun is “known unto God.”

The next morning we flew through light drizzle to the Hun aerodrome at Houplin and delivered to them a few hundredweight of Cooper bombs. I dived at the hangers to drive some fire away from Dennett and Cooper and, recovering in a zoom, found myself close to a fat Hun sausage balloon. I fired a hundred rounds and sent it down. This serendipitous victory became my fortieth. The skipper wanted a celebratory binge but I insisted that he hold off until number fifty.

Word has come through that we are to move north to Bray Dunes, a field on the French-Belgian border not far from Dunkirk. Here we shall come under command of the Fleet again.

After a long, cold, and uneventful escort patrol on 27 February, I joined Compston, Dennett, Sneath, Jordan, and Johnstone for a final trudge through the mud to visit Hairy Legs at her estaminet. We noted that the ground about had been thoroughly dug into by the Canadian Corps, who has moved into this section of the front. Dugouts and shanties lined the ridge leading up to the Abbey and the smoke of a hundred teapots hung low over the troglodyte city. We had to wait half-an-hour to get a table but it was worth it. Hairy Legs had made her pea soup which is heavenly.

The last day of February saw us off. I led the last group off the ground at Mont-St-Eloi. It was a sad departure. Our little group dipped low past the Abbey and turned north toward Ypres. And then we were gone.

Attached Files Farewell to the Abbey.jpg
Last edited by Raine; 03/02/21 12:11 AM.
#4558354 - 03/02/21 06:37 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, not to jinx your man MacAlister, but if he shall ever fall there is always a chance to try your hand at flying the Dreidecker. Who knows? You might enjoy it.
So, a move for George. He will miss the Abbey as a navigation landmark.

2 March, 1918 10:45
Toulis, Marne Sector
Jasta 19, JG II
Offizzierstellvertreter Rudolf Emil Fuchs EK1, HHO
36 confirmed kills

What luck, both SPADs from yesterday have been confirmed!
The assignment for today was close air support for a single Hannover from FA(A) 226 on a mission to bomb enemy troop camp south-east of Lhery to create a diversion.
The atmospheric conditions weren’t ideal. The snow was hampering visibility below 3000 meters. Once they reached this altitude the situation improved. There were still towering cumulus clouds here and there, but at least they could see where they were going and what’s more important, they could see any enemy planes approaching. They’ve reached the target area with no opposition except for enemy Flak. Schwarm Eins, who raced ahead must have swept the skies of any SPADs. The Hannover completed his bombing runs and the entire flight was allowed to returned to base unopposed.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4558384 - 03/02/21 11:41 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

J.K. Thorpe
Sgt, Rfc. M.C. MM.
41 Sqn
Lealvillers, Flanders.
4 Victory
5 Unconfirmed

3 march 1918'

The ADJ cane running yelling Its a Sqn Scramble and to get one up. My Kite Wheezed and coughed finally it caught as I waited for it to reach Operating Temp. I spent time watching the rest get their tails up. as they were passed a sheet of paper . My turn, it read head for the lines max angels Buster. Well off I went full power and climbing. somewhere around 10000 , my Temp gauge went off the clock The Motor was overheating. Cut the engine and glided back down, I couldn't make home-base so made a hard landing ,with a lot of bonging up and down at Bertangles.

Attached Files CFS3 2021-03-02 14-45-59-54.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 03/02/21 11:41 PM.
#4558391 - 03/03/21 01:33 AM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Fullofit, I’ve had the “pleasure” of flying the Triplane a few times. It’s a blessing and a curse.
Raine, I hope you enjoy the new digs.
Epower, a further exchange from one my favorites,
“Ever get lonesome?”
“For what?”
“A woman”
“Full time night woman?!

Sgt. Jeremiah Johnson
March 3, 1918

Jeremiah had a few rough days. He had been nicked in the arm on a Railyard strike. Setting down at St. Vasst to get stitched up before returning home. The next day, hist flight had scrambled for incoming aircraft. As he was waiting his turn to take off, he saw the 3 Hun bombers far above. As he shoved the throttle forward and sped down the field. Halfway, a geyser of dirt and grass went up in front of him. The next thing he knew, he was hanging upside down in a demolished SE. The mechanics had fetched him out but he was banged up for a few days and was unable to fly.
Yesterday his flight had a fight with the dreaded Triplane. All the rumors Jeremiah had heard were true. They could be in front of you one second and gone the next! He collided with one in mid fight. Obviously his landing gear had struck its upper wing. His stomach was in knots until he landed safely with an intact undercarriage.
Today’s mission was an airfield strike near Douai. Right in the middle of several Hun airfields. They plastered it. Jeremiah got a direct hit on a large building. He was feeling pretty good until he noticed 3 nice holes in the wing fabric just outside the cockpit. “How many lives you got” he asked himself.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4558422 - 03/03/21 12:18 PM Re: Deep Immersion DiD campaign -- Player Instructions (UPDATED 28 Nov 2018) [Re: Raine]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

MFair - A few rough days indeed, Sgt. Johnson best be more careful. A good luck charm or two might be in order as well. Still on the green side of the sod though, so there's that.

Carrick - The curse of the Hisso continues. At least Thorpe was on the friendly side when the thing decided to conk.

Fullofit - And Rudi continues to swat down Spads, or at least he does when the weather allows. That last one never even saw it coming, must have been preoccupied with all the shiny gauges in front of him.

Raine - A lovely parting shot of the Abbey. So Mac is off to Bray Dunes, eh? I hear it's a nice place, well modelled too. winkngrin

Robert - Nice to see you dropping by. Don't be a stranger, or at least not any stranger.

The dud weather continues, no flights at all for 65 Squadron the last two days. Card games have been played, books have been read, and mischief has been up, anything to break the boredom. A new trick being tried is to drop Verey Lights down the chimneys of the huts and have a laugh when they go off and fill the huts with smoke. Not as funny though when it's your hut.

Page 259 of 366 1 2 257 258 259 260 261 365 366

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM