Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4557653 - 02/25/21 12:23 PM This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable.  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

77 # of wool! So who gets a new sweater?

“Sheep need to be shorn at least annually — otherwise, the fleece continues to grow and grow, as happened here,” sanctuary rep Kyle Behrend said.

How did sheep lose their wool once a year before humans intervention?

https://nypost.com/2021/02/24/wild-sheep-saved-from-massive-77-pounds-of-matted-fleece/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/baarack-sheep-found-struggling-walk-23562594

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4557670 - 02/25/21 01:27 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Ub-baaa-lievable :/

If only one could reach through a monitor and slap a face.

wink

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4557682 - 02/25/21 02:30 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
77 # of wool! So who gets a new sweater?

“Sheep need to be shorn at least annually — otherwise, the fleece continues to grow and grow, as happened here,” sanctuary rep Kyle Behrend said.

They did before man intervened.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4557686 - 02/25/21 02:34 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
dizzy

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4557825 - 02/26/21 10:35 AM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...

Their fleeces were naturally short. Like all livestock, selective breeding down the centuries has increased the amount of 'product return' often to the detriment of the animals if left unattended.
Consider the ex-battery hens we rehomed. Bred for producing at least an egg a day, but they die after two years due to the way they are bred. Non-egg producing birds such as show-birds can live for at least a decade.

#4557833 - 02/26/21 12:37 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

I never knew that about hens. How they make them produce one egg every day?

#4557970 - 02/27/21 11:10 AM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Selective breeding, stuffing them with hormones. Same with cow milk production and fatstock rearing.

My eldest daughter had to complete a module on animal husbandry and abattoir procedures as part of her Master in Animal Behaviour.
She was so shocked and distressed at the way that livestock was reared treated and killed, (especially in Halal Slaughterhouses) that she became vegan.
The ex-battery hens we had looked more like scrotums on legs than birds when we first adopted them, being totally featherless. Could hardly stand and had trimmed beaks to prevent them pecking each other to death from boredom in their previously confined state.
Must admit that my English Stiff-upper-lip trembled slightly when I first observed them scratching and dust-bathing like normal hens after a few months.

#4557979 - 02/27/21 01:49 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Thank you BD-123. So that's why my sisters only buy cage free eggs. There is a Master in Animal Behaviour? What job does it prepare you for?

#4558045 - 02/28/21 10:39 AM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BD-123 Online content
Old Scroat
BD-123  Online Content
Old Scroat

Thank you BD-123. So that's why my sisters only buy cage free eggs. There is a Master in Animal Behaviour? What job does it prepare you for?

She works as a Senior Behaviour Support Advisor for a Rescue charity that rehomes retired, injured or unwanted racing Greyhounds and Lurchers, which are often recovered from abuse, neglect and desperate circumstances in Traveller camps. apart from supporting adopters, she assesses training and suitable home requirements for incoming hounds.

The hounds that are taken up by these charities are the lucky few, the majority of poor performing, injured or retired hounds are killed.

[Linked Image]

#4558070 - 02/28/21 04:22 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
The hounds that are taken up by these charities are the lucky few, the majority of poor performing, injured or retired hounds are killed.

I strongly disagree with this statement. It is something that is put forward by "animal rights types". The vast majority of racing greyhounds are well loved and well cared for both on an off the tracks. Again the vast majority are adopted into loving homes after they retire. Racing hounds don't need to be "rescued" like the animal welfare crowd say. They retire. I have owned and fostered retired hounds for well over 20 years. I have good friends in the UK who have done the same.

A CLASSIC example of how the 'animal welfare' crowd deals with this issue vs how actual people who love greyhounds work. In the US , a bunch of celebrities ( including Ellen Degeneres, and one of Donald Trump's kids ) spent about $20Million to get greyhound racing banned in Florida. They used every trick , including doctored films to convince people to vote their way. Once the racing was banned ; there were about 8000 dogs with no commercial use or value. The track owners and greyhound adopters went to the very same "animal wefare" crowd to look for help in finding homes for these dogs. NOT ONE CENT came from Ellen or Trump's kid or the "animal wefare" crowd. NOT ONE CENT after they raised and spent millions to put the tracks out of business and the dogs out of work.

The track owners ( the evil ones according to the media ) and the adopters association as afar away as Canada got together and rehomed EVERY SINGLE dog that the "animal welfare" crowd made homeless.

These are the same 'animal welfare" twats who put almost 50,000 of my countrymen out of work and still protest a seal hunt that has not existed for over 40 years and still make money off their protests and the idiots who believe them.

If you think this sort of thing pisses me off ...you are correct !!

And while I am on the subject....my family has been farming land around here for since the 1770s. As a small boy in the 1950s all of the hens ( who were not caged and free in the barnyard ) laid an egg every day

Last edited by No105_Archie; 02/28/21 04:24 PM. Reason: crappy spelling

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4558087 - 02/28/21 05:58 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I'm currently taking care of free run chickens, and can say that they'll produce close to one egg a day if they're well fed and cared for.

Those are really good eggs too, the quality is far better than what the grocery store considers organic, we have random people pulling up all the time asking to buy them, just by word of mouth.

The issue is that their feed is expensive, so that even with the premium that people are willing to pay, we would hardly break even with our current setup if we weren't able to supplement it with free expired food from some local food banks.

Another issue is rats, there are a lot of them around here to begin with, and a chicken coup attracts them like a magnet. I've tried all sorts of traps but the only really effective way to control their numbers, that doesn't involve poison, is to shoot them. I should change my screen name to Rat Hunter and create a ratting channel on Youtube with the number of them I've had to shoot in the past year.

#4558102 - 02/28/21 06:55 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

You need to get a couple of mouser cats, Crane.

Thank you BD and Archie. I never knew that about racing dogs. Dog racing should be illegal.

#4558104 - 02/28/21 07:26 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
You need to get a couple of mouser cats, Crane.

Cats hardly dent their numbers, I'd need ferrets, but they would also pose a threat to the chickens.

I'd rather get a cheap thermal sight for what I'd spend on them anyway.

#4558116 - 02/28/21 08:26 PM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Dog racing should be illegal.

Why ? Did you not understand my comments ? The dogs are doing what they LOVE to do. They are ( the vast majority of the time) well cared for. Racing greyhounds are among the longest lived and most healthy of any 'purebred' dogs; because they are not bred for appearance but for health. Should dog agility trails be banned? how about using dogs for duck hunting ? Labs have many more health problems than greyhounds and ( according the the animal welfare crowd ) are "forced" to jump into freezing water to retrieve ducks " that nave been brutally murdered by non-vegan hunters" ....what about using dogs to herd or guard sheep ? What about K9 units of the police and military ? Should they be banned too. ??

The clamor to end greyhound racing is like most of the "animal welfare" bull crap. It's all about making a big noise and getting attention and being" woke" and most of all for the organizers to make A LOT of money !! >:(

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4558134 - 03/01/21 12:30 AM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
They never think of the consequences, for both the animals and the owners.

They'll be whining for trans pets soon...

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4559250 - 03/10/21 01:14 AM Re: This sheep’s transformation is un-baaa-lievable. [Re: BD-123]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BD-123

The ex-battery hens we had looked more like scrotums on legs than birds when we first adopted them, being totally featherless. Could hardly stand and had trimmed beaks to prevent them pecking each other to death from boredom in their previously confined state.

We threw out all the eggs in fridge today and got cage free eggs.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.