Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4556081 - 02/14/21 05:20 PM MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else?  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I've tried to load it four times, now, and each time I get dumped to desktop about three seconds after the home screen loads. First time I tried it since loading NVidia 461.40 drivers a week or two ago, but I wouldn't think that would cause a problem. Kinda ticks me off, more so today because my son is traveling and I was going to shadow his flights.

SALUTE TO ALL!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4556091 - 02/14/21 06:50 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Is it after an update? Regardless, you could try deleting the cache. I've heard that sometimes the cache after an update can interfere with correct functionality, as it retains elements from before the update that might have changed but are still "old".

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4556094 - 02/14/21 07:31 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

And I do that........how? As in, which cache and where are they?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4556140 - 02/15/21 07:47 AM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

How long since you last ran the game? Is it up-to-date with respect to patches etc.?
Are you running the Steam version or did you get it directly from the MS shop? I got mine on the MS shop and I remember having some trouble with account creation/recognition that also caused such starting issues. Had to mess with XBoxLive and some Microsoft Store App; don't think there are similar problems running from Steam...

Regarding the caches, I'm pretty sure he means the rolling and manually asigned terrain caches that you can load/pre-load upfront for locations of your special interest. As I put mine on a separate SSD, I can't tell you where the default locations are...

Last edited by WhoCares; 02/15/21 07:51 AM.
#4556192 - 02/15/21 04:51 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

MicroSoft Store. Been a couple weeks and I guess there's a world update that I didn't get (last updated about four or five weeks ago...US stuff). Haven't gotten anything else for it. The only thing that's changed since I last ran it was that I installed new drivers for my video card.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4556209 - 02/15/21 05:43 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
FishTaco Offline
Forever Cromulent
FishTaco  Offline
Forever Cromulent

Perth, Western Australia
I'm on the test team. Last week Microsoft had a major crash of their AZURE servers. This has thrown the sim into turmoil, in all kinds of way.

Add-ons from the Store are not installing.

The Marketplace has not been showing.

Marketplace content is crashing the sim.

Not all aircraft are downloading to your computer.

In other words, a major PITA at the moment. Even tonight, I had to do a reinstall and it's not complete. And the elements that are not installed are refusing to come down. There is supposed to be a major update for England tomorrow, but I wouldn't count on it at this time.

Also, not well known, but caused me major issues, please be aware of this:

If you have the STEAM version of the sim, please do NOT, under any circumstances do an Integrity Check of your game. If you do this, it will erase the entire program.

ASOBO is blaming STEAM, and STEAM is blaming ASOBO, But so far there is no fix for this, so please be aware guys.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Kindest regards,

AJ

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, your victory will not stand in doubt; if you know Heaven and know Earth, you may make your victory complete." - The Art of War - Sun Tzu
#4556375 - 02/16/21 07:33 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: DM]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Originally Posted by DM
Is it after an update? Regardless, you could try deleting the cache. I've heard that sometimes the cache after an update can interfere with correct functionality, as it retains elements from before the update that might have changed but are still "old".

I heard this too.

I had some CTD´s last week but it was due to Carenados Mooney not getting along with Air Hauler 2. Switched to the default Caravan C208 and all went good then. Havent flown this past week, Iam waitting for the UK update.

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4556566 - 02/18/21 07:27 AM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

As the new update is out, have you tried it with that one?
Requires first to update the game, a 1 GB download from the MS Store. And after that optionally install the UK stuff from the in-game marketplace.

#4556660 - 02/18/21 11:18 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Yesterday I tried starting it through the Microsoft Store, WhoCares. It automatically took me to the option to update (which never happened when I launched from desktop). 21.9GB. Got to 97%, 21.41GB, and stalled. Froze as solid as everything outside my house is right now. Locked up tighter than my ex-wife's...heart. Had to use Task Manager just to close it. Rebooted the computer, went to MS Store again, said I needed another 1.1GB download, so I did that. then it loaded up with what I assume is a picture of the Thames instead of the badlands of Utah or wherever that splash for the USA update was supposed to be. Got to the main menu and.........CTD again.

I think I'm just going to uninstall/reinstall the whole thing.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4556756 - 02/19/21 04:54 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
[RANT/ON>RANTWARNING/OFF] Great, another 95GB 3 to 6 hour reinstall. Games these days drive me MENTAL because:

- I don't play all day every day so when I do decide to play I click on a game and first STEAM/ORIGIN/EPIC or whatever installer has to do an update, then
- The game won't play, because it has to also load some compete PITA update which is RARELY an actual improvement to the game but is most likely a new way for the devs to MAKE MONEY in their shops
- OR some oblique and useless add on I don't even bloody want (new compulsory map update to BOLIVIA! 10GB! Loading... ... ... ... ... ... ...). Apologies to any Bolivianians.
- OR they sold me a game which was such a POS at launch they have to keep patching it into infinity.

JAZOOZ, please just give me a game that is stable at launch, which may well be a minimum viable product but actually is VIABLE and let me choose my own #%&*$# updates or roll back to an old version if I don't like how it screws up my PC and seriously I don't mind waiting an extra day month year for a game that is actually playable.

AND while I'm at it any game developer who sits in a meeting and says 'we should make this game so it requires an always on internet connection or it won't work' should be thrown out the bloody window. Naked. After being covered in molasses. Onto an ant hill. Daily.

AND the same for game industry reviewers on Youtube who get to play a pre-release version of a game at the devs HQ on a perfectly tuned PC provided by the devs after being plied with shrimp and champagne and then give the game 5 bloody stars. Onto the ant hill with them. And throw hornets nests at them.

[RANT/OFF]

[Linked Image]
#4557569 - 02/24/21 06:10 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

And it's working. You won't believe what the problem was. I still have trouble believing it. And it's something that went through my mind the very first day, it just took me a week and doing a complete reinstall to get desperate enough to try it.

The new video drivers.

No sh*t. The very first day I thought, "The only thing that's changed is that I updated the video driver. I wonder if that somehow is causing the problem?" Then I thought, "Nah! It couldn't be that!", especially since I'd been running Wings Over Flanders Fields successfully for days. But Monday, out of sheer "What's the worst that could happen?", I decided to try reverting back to the 457.30 version (fortunately I always keep my old drivers just in case) and lo and behold it's working again.

So the next question is: is anyone else using the 461.40 drivers on a 980ti video card successfully?

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4557592 - 02/24/21 09:12 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: HeinKill]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Originally Posted by HeinKill
[RANT/ON>RANTWARNING/OFF] Great, another 95GB 3 to 6 hour reinstall. Games these days drive me MENTAL because:

- I don't play all day every day so when I do decide to play I click on a game and first STEAM/ORIGIN/EPIC or whatever installer has to do an update, then
- The game won't play, because it has to also load some compete PITA update which is RARELY an actual improvement to the game but is most likely a new way for the devs to MAKE MONEY in their shops
- OR some oblique and useless add on I don't even bloody want (new compulsory map update to BOLIVIA! 10GB! Loading... ... ... ... ... ... ...). Apologies to any Bolivianians.
- OR they sold me a game which was such a POS at launch they have to keep patching it into infinity.

JAZOOZ, please just give me a game that is stable at launch, which may well be a minimum viable product but actually is VIABLE and let me choose my own #%&*$# updates or roll back to an old version if I don't like how it screws up my PC and seriously I don't mind waiting an extra day month year for a game that is actually playable.

AND while I'm at it any game developer who sits in a meeting and says 'we should make this game so it requires an always on internet connection or it won't work' should be thrown out the bloody window. Naked. After being covered in molasses. Onto an ant hill. Daily.

AND the same for game industry reviewers on Youtube who get to play a pre-release version of a game at the devs HQ on a perfectly tuned PC provided by the devs after being plied with shrimp and champagne and then give the game 5 bloody stars. Onto the ant hill with them. And throw hornets nests at them.

[RANT/OFF]

thumbsup Very well said, HeinKill. It is a sad true.

#4557822 - 02/26/21 09:44 AM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by vonBaur
And it's working. You won't believe what the problem was. I still have trouble believing it. And it's something that went through my mind the very first day, it just took me a week and doing a complete reinstall to get desperate enough to try it.

The new video drivers.
So the next question is: is anyone else using the 461.40 drivers on a 980ti video card successfully?

Glad you got your trouble sorted!

There is a thread on the forum about the 461 drivers and performance issues, but none with your troubles.
I only sporadically update drivers once or twice a year - if things run stable I don't trouble myself to much with this stuff. Considering that I have a 1080, two generations in the past. I don't expect to much benefit from updated drivers for those, as I think they will focus more on current and maybe last gen cards with driver updates... Sure, they might also add some general app/game specific settings/improvements beneficial for my card in CP2077 or now in MSFS2020, but ah well...

#4558745 - 03/05/21 05:19 PM Re: MSFS 2020 Problem..Anyone Else? [Re: vonBaur]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
Flaps issues hot fix released yesterday. Use Microsoft Store for download.

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.