Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4556362 - 02/16/21 06:32 PM Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War!  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
When Battlefront teamed up with Slitherine I thought that was a good thing. It would help from a marketing standpoint, the Steam presence is great, and I privately hoped this alliance would somehow kick Combat Mission in to gear. I have no idea if this has anything to do with today's announcement. But I wouldn't be surprised if it did. Taken completely by surprise, I am

Combat Mission Cold War! Yeah, you know how some of us have said that Combat Mission in the Fulda Gap would be sublime. Now, it looks to be a reality.

https://www.gamespress.com/tr/Slitherine-and-Battlefront-announce-Combat-Mission-Cold-War

Nothing would please me more than an accelerated stream of new products and modules coming out of BFC. I won't get too excited, and there is no release date. Judging by the glacial progress of Fire and Rubble, this one could take a long time. But to announce it, and have it up on Steam, means it can't be too far off, can it?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1551160/Combat_Mission_Cold_War/

Wow!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4556379 - 02/16/21 07:49 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I sat in Germany waiting for the Warsaw Pact to come over the border for a few years... Our sqn of Chieftain MBT's probably would not have lasted long if they did.

#4556386 - 02/16/21 08:50 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
RedOneAlpha Offline
RedOneAlpha  Offline

LEGE
While I think the Idea is great (setting), two questions come to mind...

- Will it be on the same engine?

- Will the max map size be the same as in recent titles?

Some of us think that the map size in CMBS or CMSF2 is not useful for the type of warfare meant to happen. Armored warfare is optimal in longer ranges (tanks). Not that Iam a guru in armored warfare, but it makes tactical sense.

Red

Win10 Pro(x64), i7 8700k @ 4.7Ghz, 32GB ram DDR4, Sapphire Pulse AMD RX 6700 12GB, M.2 PCIe NVMe (x2) 480GB + 960GB, 447GB SSD´s, Samsung G6 32" , Logitech G13, G502, Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Simagic Alpha Mini, and Formula Extreme FX, DC Simracing DC1 pedals, GT Omega ART cockpit, TrackIR 5.0.
AUDIO: Aiyima A07 Max, Topping E50 and L50 stack, Polk Audio Signature Elite ES20 , and Shennheiser HD 560s. DAP: Hiby R3, Hiby Seeds, and iBasso IT01, Sharp MD-MT 80H Minidisc.
#4556389 - 02/16/21 09:19 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
We will have to wait for more details I think. CMx2 could support huge maps, I think any restrictions in map size were due more to the scenario designer and AI limitations. I've played WW2 campaigns on 2.5km x 2.5 km maps and I don't think that was a limit. Is there a map-size limit inCMx2? Not sure what the biggest map I played in SF2 was, but there were some big ones, probably around 4km x 4km. Is that big enough for Fulda Gap? Probably. No doubt I'd rather play on 20 x 20 master maps with multiple battles over a long campaign, handled in a similar manner to the Operations in CMBB and CMAK. But the AI? Scripted? Needs a new one I think.

Is this a new engine? I doubt it, but maybe there are some twists and could be called CMx2.5. But I am speculating. The issue with SF2 for me wasn't engagement range necessarily, but room for maneuver. I want big maps for that reason really, like twice the size above. And part of it may be due to how with no real AI, the computer would have plenty of issues dealing with a maneuver battle on big maps. On the defense it's OK, but unless there are some improvements I can't see the AI dealing well with it. I don't have CMBS, what size are the biggest maps in that one? Hopefully we see some details in the near future. The entire Combat Mission community has been blindsided by this. There is a lot of buzz on their boards, so hopefully that will spark plenty of discussion and reveals.

We don't know enough now to judge it properly. There is letdown potential.

Troop, that's really cool. Does that give you an added sense of attachment to this? Lots of the guys on the BFC boards served at the same time as you and I can see by their posts this has that intimate connection for some of them.

Anyway, it's mostly conjecture right now, but I love this surprise. Let's see where it goes from here.

#4556470 - 02/17/21 03:33 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Man what happened to these boards? The enthusiasm is through the floor

Anyone who has read my posts over the years on Combat Mission here at SimHQ has probably seen me say that sometimes I have more fun reading AARs than playing the game, mostly due to having already played through all the campaigns for any given title, which is partly due to me playing nothing but campaigns so I go through them fairly fast, and partly due to the dearth of available campaigns, which again makes me go through them fairly fast haha

So how to fill the time? AARs!

And some of the very best are by Bil Hardenberger. Not only is he a good player, the AARs he writes are outstanding, both in terms of his commentary about his reasoning, analysis and actions, and also his presentation with maps, screens and that sort of thing.

For the three people here at SimHQ excited about Cold War I present the newest one

CM Cold War - BETA AAR - U.S. Thread - Battle of Dolbach Heights 1980

And the AAR for his opponent. Each player stays out of the other thread, but for those of us following it is a neat way to see both sides as it all unfolds. It's really cool. They have done many AARs on the Battlefront boards like this. Always entertaining and enlightening.

CM Cold War - Beta AAR - Soviet Thread - Glorious Soviet Victory at Small German Town 1980

For what it is worth, this battle is on a 2km x 2.5km map. It has only just begun, so follow along as it unfolds.

#4556487 - 02/17/21 05:21 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Troop, that's really cool. Does that give you an added sense of attachment to this?

Yes it does... thankfully I never had to deal with the outcome crew
I'm saddened though that once again it's the yanks v soviets they have depicted, but will be glad to pick it up if they ever decide to include British forces.
I'm sure they will though at some stage (probably years down the road, lol!)...

As to AAR's, yes, some of them are really watchable and enjoyable, really well put together, especially some of the WWII scenarios!

#4556491 - 02/17/21 06:13 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, I'm happy too that it was only, well, a cold war, eh? I was but 13 in 1980.

I'm sure there will be allied forces modules, and I understand your position. It should have been multinational from the off (if for no other reason than a marketing standpoint), but BFC is not known for their proliferation. And there's always the recurrent income factor, which can keep it rolling in by releasing it in drips. This AAR should show us a lot. Stay tuned!

#4556590 - 02/18/21 03:13 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Bil is involved, that's a seal of quality I can't ignore.

#4556597 - 02/18/21 04:01 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I saw your posts. I am landser over there smile

#4556615 - 02/18/21 07:16 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Any fan of CM should read Bil's AARs, in this one the battle hasn't even started yet, and it is full of great info and analysis. Must-read for anyone interested in CMCW.

#4556946 - 02/20/21 08:58 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
First Contact has been made! (in the AAR)

I had hoped Barkhorn would pop in and give us his thoughts on Cold War. Or anyone really. Ten years ago this thread would be four pages by now. Times do change, I just have trouble accepting it I guess. Maybe I am in the minority, but for Combat Mission players, I think Cold War is the most significant and exciting product since Shock Force or Normandy, since the early days of CMx2.

Here is why I am looking forward to it, what I also wrote on the Battlefront boards

This is the first Combat Mission title I have been excited about since Red Thunder, and no need to say how long ago that was.

It appeals to me because it features such well-matched adversaries in a conflict that never flared up. And it focuses on forces that are asymmetric in a number of ways. Nothing like Shock Force of course, but asymmetrical combat is highly appealing for me. Different doctrines clashing.

And because the cold war did not go hot, this game will be free of the constraints of history. It's not tethered to historical battles and outcomes, and instead is all what-if. I've often said that as a student of this history I prefer what-if generators. I know what happened in real life, I'd prefer in some ways to war-game out other situations and scenarios. The historical Combat Mission titles have avoided this to a large degree, and understandably so. But Cold War has such massive latitude for campaign and scenario design as a result. This is exciting and I cannot wait to see how it shakes out.

#4557259 - 02/22/21 06:43 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
I too am excited by this title, especially since the completion timeframe is so close. The subject matter is a natural for the CM family as a lot of this stuff already exists in various titles. Will pick this one up for sure.

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4557392 - 02/23/21 01:21 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey Barkhorn, have you heard anything about that time frame? A release date?

#4557411 - 02/23/21 02:59 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Originally Posted by DBond
Hey Barkhorn, have you heard anything about that time frame? A release date?

Yes, from memory:

Timeframe = circa 1978 - 1982
Release timeframe = probably around April and pre-orders are open now over at Battlefront.com

"It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favor of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion."--- William Ralph Inge

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4557416 - 02/23/21 03:20 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh sorry I thought you meant release date time frame, my mistake. yes, when it is coming out is what I meant. April should work fine if they hit it. I will pick this up. The last I bought was SF2 two years ago. I liked it, even if I found the tactical play less compelling than other titles. But the one thing I really liked was having an an entirely new unit and vehicle roster. Everything was new, different and had new capabilities compared to what I was used to in WW2 titles. I think Cold War will have this novelty factor. I love learning about the strengths and weaknesses of each one and finding ways to employ them effectively. Plus the battles should be more compelling than SF2, with more capable opponents. Looking forward to it.

#4557428 - 02/23/21 04:29 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
Barkhorn1x Offline
Barkhorn1x  Offline

Davie, FL
Originally Posted by DBond
Oh sorry I thought you meant release date time frame, my mistake. yes, when it is coming out is what I meant. April should work fine if they hit it. I will pick this up. The last I bought was SF2 two years ago. I liked it, even if I found the tactical play less compelling than other titles. But the one thing I really liked was having an an entirely new unit and vehicle roster. Everything was new, different and had new capabilities compared to what I was used to in WW2 titles. I think Cold War will have this novelty factor. I love learning about the strengths and weaknesses of each one and finding ways to employ them effectively. Plus the battles should be more compelling than SF2, with more capable opponents. Looking forward to it.

:cheers

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/138366-pre-orders-for-combat-mission-cold-war-are-now-open/:

"The ORIGINAL Barkhorn"
#4557551 - 02/24/21 05:00 PM Re: Tactical surprise: Combat Mission Cold War! [Re: DBond]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I am 98.8% sure I'll be getting this one. And for the first time ever, on Steam! But no compelling reason to pre-order, or is there? No price breaks or additional trinkets, correct?

First blood has been drawn in the AAR. These Russkies are deadly. Their long-range AT assets are everywhere, and fatally decisive. My early feeling is the US equipment is outclassed, as long as the 60 is the main punch, and in clear visibility. Some fog, smoke, mist or nighttime could tip the scales. Does Bil get M1s?

Call the Apache squadron!

Here's his roster, it's a cav troop

Code

Armored Cavalry Troop

Troop HQ – Five minutes out
        HQ Team on M113A1
        FO Team on M113A1
    1st Platoon – Initial Formation on the map
        HQ Team on M113A2
        x2 Scout Teams on M113A2 – note, these teams have the ability to Call Artillery
        x2 Tank Hunters (M-150 TOW)
        x4 M60A1 (Rise+)
    2nd Platoon – Five minutes out
        HQ Team on M113A1
        x2 Scout Teams on M113A1 – note, these teams have the ability to Call Artillery
        x4 M60A1
    3rd Platoon – Ten minutes out
        HQ Team on M113A1
        x2 Scout Teams on M113A1 – note, these teams have the ability to Call Artillery
        x4 M60A1 (Rise)
    Mortar Section – Five minutes out
        HQ Team on M577
        x3 M106A1 Mortar Carriers
    Support (Attachments):
        x2 Battery (x6 M114A1 guns each) – available at start
        x1 Battery (x6 M114A1 guns) CLUSTER MUNITIONS – Available in five minutes
        x2 AH-1F Cobra Attack Helicopters – Available in ten minutes

Nope, no M1s -- or Apaches -- but Cobras are on the way. I hadn't really thought about how plentiful and decisive ATGMs would be in this one, but they are already dominating the battlefield.

Maybe those tube-delivered cluster munitions will be a force multiplier. Can't wait to see them in action.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.