Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4556308 - 02/16/21 11:29 AM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: Crane Hunter]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Not sure if extremely humid heat, downpours and hurricanes are much better than dealing with the cold, especially if you live somewhere where you don't have a constant ocean breeze.

Could be but that sure isn't deterring people from moving to FL in droves!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4556347 - 02/16/21 04:49 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Could be but that sure isn't deterring people from moving to FL in droves!

Florida is beautiful, the best looking environ in North America IMO, and would be on the short list of places I would move to if I moved to the U.S.

However the climate is such that I would have chosen SoCal, Arizona or some other sunny region, at least back before they went retard.

#4556348 - 02/16/21 04:57 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

However the climate is such that I would have chosen SoCal, Arizona or some other sunny region, at least back before they went retard.

I know exactly what you mean because I absolutely prefer the dry desert heat to the daily sauna steambath I get in Miami. I was in Vegas during the summer a few years ago and the temp was about 109 degrees but there was also zero percent humidity. I was more comfortable in that than the 90 degree/100 percent humidity weather I get in Miami.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4556351 - 02/16/21 05:25 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

I know exactly what you mean because I absolutely prefer the dry desert heat to the daily sauna steambath I get in Miami. I was in Vegas during the summer a few years ago and the temp was about 109 degrees but there was also zero percent humidity. I was more comfortable in that than the 90 degree/100 percent humidity weather I get in Miami.

I like to enjoy the outdoors, and I suspect it might be difficult to casually do that in Florida once you get away from the coasts, because of all the bugs and other critters.

#4556357 - 02/16/21 05:55 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I have always found a certain beauty in a cold, bright, sunshiny, snow covered day. I used to love to get bundled up and go for a walk in the woods on a day like that. Snowmobiling, skiing, sledding with the kids, ice fishing, or even hunting on days like that are special. Michigan is a great place for that. Living here you just have to appreciate those days and just grind through the hard parts of winter. I find the heat and humidity times of the year are the worst for me. Stuck inside in air conditioning actually drives me crazy at times.

#4556360 - 02/16/21 06:20 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
i honestly dont see why people from warmer places want to live where it snow.....maybe on a vacation, sure, its fun, but to live in a place that snow ? no way! ive been to the south, sometimes the ground freezes there and its so cold if you have cloths outiside they become a rock.....why would i want to move from here? shoveling your rooft,car, yard sure sounds fun.
also on a related note, how come new yorkers suvive the winter ? if you go online you see footage of snow dropping from roof, and how dangerous it is......well NY has lots of tall roofs......how they deal with that ?

#4556363 - 02/16/21 06:35 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
i honestly dont see why people from warmer places want to live where it snow.....maybe on a vacation, sure, its fun, but to live in a place that snow ?

The only people I know who have done that was purely for financial reasons (ie they got a better paying job).

#4556385 - 02/16/21 08:47 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
A couple of years ago I considered a gold mining job somewhere in northern Ontario, the pay was good, and you could buy a decent house there for less than $75K, but we're talking about living in a bleak little place where its probably effectively winter for 8 months of the year.

I might have gone for it, toughed it out for 5 years and saved a couple hundred thousand, but my health has really fallen off, so I had to scratch that plan.

#4556424 - 02/17/21 02:54 AM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Monday it made it up to two degrees Farenheit, with a 20 mph wind, cloudy, and snowed all day. Brutal. A few minutes outside in a parka was miserable.

Tuesday around noon it was about ten degrees, but bright sunshine and nearly no wind. I was outside quite a bit with just a flight jacket, no gloves, and nothing on my head. Very comfortable. Even unzipped my jacket and I wasn't exerting myself in any way.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4556428 - 02/17/21 04:25 AM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: Crane Hunter]  
NH2112 Online content
Veteran
NH2112  Online Content
Veteran

Jackman, ME

I like to enjoy the outdoors, and I suspect it might be difficult to casually do that in Florida once you get away from the coasts, because of all the bugs and other critters.

That’s why I like winter so much. All you have to do is avoid sweating when out doing this.

[Linked Image]

And yes, sweating is a danger even on days like this, with wind chill in the -40 range and air temps below zero as well.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4556429 - 02/17/21 04:27 AM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Yup. Moisture accumulation can be a killer.

I would be spending half of my time on mountain peaks either taking off layers or putting some on to control my temperature.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4556755 - 02/19/21 04:53 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
My internet is back, but not my water pressure. No complaints though after watching Texas on the Weather Channel.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4556804 - 02/19/21 08:50 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Yeah Mark, we didn't have power for over 50-55 hours. Inside the house got down to 41F. Sucked!!! But I don't think any of my pipes have broken.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4556811 - 02/19/21 09:16 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Yeah Mark, we didn't have power for over 50-55 hours. Inside the house got down to 41F. Sucked!!! But I don't think any of my pipes have broken.

I actually had that happen (41 degrees inside) in the apartment I'm sitting in right now - in Sacramento California! It wasn't even because of a blackout - we'd just moved in, and for some reason I can't remember (this was almost ten years ago) we were having trouble for a few days getting the gas turned on. Came REAL close to buying some electric heaters - actually would have in hindsight, but we kept thinking "Well the gas should be turned on by tomorrow".

Turned out this place had NO insulation, and the window frames were so old and shot the blinds would flop around when it was windy out - with the windows closed.

Had those issues not been dealt with I guarantee I wouldn't be sitting in this room right now...

#4556812 - 02/19/21 09:20 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Back in 2005, I was living in a small town where we had a localized ice storm and we ended up being without power for 10 days.

Inside my apartment, it soon got so cold that huge icicles formed around the windows, all my food froze solid, except for what was inside my fridge, and I had to resort to sleeping in a "tent" I made out of cushions and blankets in my living room, in an heavy duty outdoor sleep bag, and it was still like being in a meat locker.

Luckily, both my workplace and my favorite restaurant had gas generators and were only 2 blocks away, so I could still eat, shower and all that important stuff, otherwise it would have really sucked.

#4556834 - 02/20/21 12:19 AM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Note to self: Shop quality sleeping bags and add to survival storage bin. I have some camping supplies in the attic with a couple of sleeping bags (I think), but I don't know if those would cut it in the conditions Bill described.

++++++++++

I'm listening to the sweet sounds of the dishwasher and washing machine churning, our water pressure climbing almost back to normal over the past couple of hours. If it keeps (despite another freeze warning tonight), I'll soon be having a much needed shave and shower (and Fleet Defender/1942 PAW/Subwar 2050/NFS SE will have to wait until tomorrow evening wink ).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4556901 - 02/20/21 02:54 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
It's 51 Degrees at 10 am here in Sarasota and that wont stop the crowds from hitting the Beach...I was in shorts yesterday

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4556940 - 02/20/21 08:04 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

I'm back. Water and Gas and Electric and Internet went out be like 2 hours after I wrote this topic. No Heat. No light. We were in the house Monday and Tuesday and finally we were able to get a hotel Wednesday afternoon.

I wore 5 layers and was shivering. Can't sleep but little napes and wake up to realize being cold is not a dream, it's real.

It was 20 in the house and the only heat was the fireplace and we all gathered around it and slept in front of it. No bathe. No cooking. Bread tasted frozen. Colder in living room than in the fridge.

I lay down on the bed in bedroom thats 25 degrees and bed felt like block of ice even with 2 layers of thick comforters over me. Better the floor in front of fireplace. Also my phone had 100% battery on Monday and by Tuesday morning it was dead.

When we got to hotel, first day I slept for 10 hours after taking hot shower and eating room service dinner.

Just got home. Everything working. I missed everyone here.

#4556947 - 02/20/21 09:00 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
You're lucky that you had a fireplace, in my instance I didn't have one in my apartment and I actually considered making a fire in a metal bin in my living room.

The problem was there was no wood lying around outside to be had that wasn't encased in ice, no way for me to chop it, and no way for me to get it burning in that state to begin with.

#4556953 - 02/20/21 09:46 PM Re: Holy cow it's extremely cold ! [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

If we didn't get that hotel by luck on Wednesday and had to stay here we might have died. Running out of firewood. Nothing to ea after we ate the few cans of stuff, that were iced cold. No Sleep.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.