Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4556130 - 02/15/21 02:03 AM Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?)  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
okay first my bad, i should known it was a two way sync. BUT. it complained it ran out of storage and i didnt know why, my docs are small, so i noticed it also synced my screenshots folders,so what i do, i go to preference and unlink the folder...except i cant, because there are files that need uploading even though i dont have space, so it doesnt allow me to change the preferences. so i pause the sync aaaaaand......settings get greyd out.
so next step save the folder elsewhere, and delete from online one drive.easy peasy.nah......he will just refuse to delete the folder on pc because he is trying to restore it, even though i already deleted from the site so he doesnt have what to restore from, for something that is suposed to be all about sync, the left hand doesnt know what the right is doing, as i had already cleared the online recycle to prevent just that.
next step i shut down the program, delete the folder. start program, it sync all the other files it was on queue, i wanted to unlink pictures but its a windows root, he wont allow me, i want to put the folder back, so i pause any syncing, put the folder there aaaaaand.......he gets marked for syncing again i have to wait he syncing all the files,oh no....no space.....cant unmark because you have files on queue, cant change preferences paused,cant stop syncing of files.......jesus.....im done with this.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4556152 - 02/15/21 12:29 PM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: Blade_RJ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I’m in the middle of migrating all my users from Work folders to One Drive at my job. Fun times.....

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4556188 - 02/15/21 04:44 PM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I’m in the middle of migrating all my users from Work folders to One Drive at my job. Fun times.....

We're doing something similar, going from standard network shares to OneDrive. Personal drives have not been a big problem so far, but shared drives could be a nightmare.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4556250 - 02/15/21 09:20 PM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: Blade_RJ]  
mikew Offline
mikew  Offline

UK
How do you stop Microsoft doing whatever they want with your data?

#4556253 - 02/15/21 09:59 PM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: mikew]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by mikew

buy a mac or install linux

#4556259 - 02/15/21 10:49 PM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: Blade_RJ]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ

buy a mac or install linux

Or just don't use One Drive? smile I don't even have a Microsoft account which I believe is required.

I understand the advantages of cloud backup and syncing, I'm just too old-fashioned to ever want to use it. My important/irreplaceable digital content gets *manually* backed up in triplicate, and one of those drives sits in a safety deposit box.

My relatively new Windows 10 laptop is great for what it is..a cheap toy to be used for entertainment. Anything I consider important I do on my desktop which has no online capability (hardware removed).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4556312 - 02/16/21 11:54 AM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: mikew]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

That's a good question and here is the funny part:

I work for the US government and while my employer constantly talks about the threat of cyberattacks and security on the one hand, they are in the process of transitioning all of their user data to a third party cloud service on the other!

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/16/21 11:55 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4556451 - 02/17/21 11:50 AM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Razorback Offline
No one of consequence
Razorback  Offline
No one of consequence
Veteran

NJ
First, I would go to the web version & make sure your trash is cleared. Most people don't realize that OneDrive maintains a trash bin for 30 days (useful for if you accidentally delete something that gets synced). If that doesn't work, then try this next:

Right-click on the OneDrive icon. Select Settings. Under the "Account" tab, click "Unlink this PC" and confirm.

Reboot. Now when you launch OneDrive you will re-enter your login credentials. This should stop this loop from happening. If not... it's possible you have a Windows update that caused a One Drive conflict that was resolved in later updates.

#4556453 - 02/17/21 12:10 PM Re: Why is microsoft one drive so stupid ? (or am i?) [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Whoa. Razorback coming out of the blue!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.