Hop To
#4556115 - 02/14/21 10:46 PM Odyssey. Not convinced  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've been looking forward to this expansion. So over the past day or two I caught up on the dev diaries and such. Unless I am missing something, or there are big reveals still to come, it appears my eager anticipation was due more to what I imagined this might be, than what it is.

I naturally assumed there would be new ships. I've seen nothing at all about this. have I missed it? Are they holding out? Or are there no new ships at all?

I watched some videos of the foot combat. Not bad I guess, but I have plenty of shooters and that won't be what I am looking to spend my time doing in Elite, I don't think. Maybe the settlement missions against NPCs will be fun. Not planning to join any PvP shooter stuff in Elite.

Of all the things I saw there are only a few that interest me. Having a lot more landable planets will be excellent. And there is the whole 'first footfall' thing that I will like. Stitching my commander name across the galaxy is what first drew me to Elite, as I'm sure you've all heard me say a bunch of times by now. And this is one more way to do that. But otherwise, there doesn't seem to be much in it for me. Surely there's more to it that either I've missed, or has yet to be revealed. because I don't think I will do much of the shooter stuff. It will be cool to climb out of the ship now and then to get a sense of the scale. To stand on a planet thousands of light years from Sol. To feel even more insignificant in such a vast galaxy. But the novelty of that could wear off fast. Seen one, seen 'em all sort of thing. Walking around a starport will be cool, but for how long? Guess I need to wait and see. I read that we can watch the inside of the docking bay from the starport common area, and that sounds really nice. I'd enjoy that, watching the ships come and go.

US$40 isn't much and I will certainly get it. But it looks to me to be less than I imagined, particularly from my personal point of view and interests. What are you all looking forward to the most?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4556127 - 02/15/21 12:57 AM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
I'm not looking forward to it at all. FPS as a genre does nothing for me, so I really have little interest in Odyssey.
If there were more ship-based content I might change my mind. I'll get it though, because I have the lifetime pass, but if I had to pay for it, it would be a big wait and see.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4556135 - 02/15/21 03:59 AM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Wait and see for me as well.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4556137 - 02/15/21 05:28 AM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
If I could board ships and steal them in person, that'd be splendiferous.

One of my most exciting experiences in Star Citizen, so far, was when I snuck onboard someone's ship through a lowered ramp at the dock. Inside, I waited, quietly, in the dark, for him to return. Nice fellow, or gal, I'm sure, for not long thereafter they gingerly hopped in the command seat after locking down the hatches and departed from station. Sensing their focus was on navigational tasks and piloting, I slyly emerged from the shadows and tiptoed my way until was beside them. There, the gauges and glimmering dials shone off their visor, eyes affixed to some distant artifact. If their helmet were off, I swore my hot breath could have bathed their skin.

I leaned in...

Ever closer...

Pulled my pistol from its holster and nudged it next to their ear, and I whispered, "Hello there."

Boom!

Curls of smoke wafted from a neatly injected hole, and a spray of blood erupted forthwith. They died. I nudged their limp body out of the chair and the ship was mine!

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 02/15/21 05:31 AM.
#4556146 - 02/15/21 10:44 AM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
It's a 'wait and see' for me too.

In SC I like the freedom but I don't think I've ever joined in any combat. A FPS isn't what I want to see either.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4556149 - 02/15/21 11:40 AM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I get it regardless because of the lifetime DLC deal I got when ED was first developed. As for my expectations, I expect I will be "Hmm. OK." but not much more than that, I haven't seen anything yet that makes me excited to get it, other than the possibility to wander around space stations.

What would get me excited is the possibility to wander around my own ship. Probably a very useless feature but I would enjoy it hugely smile

My guess is that it (the technology) is a step toward more FPS content further down the line. As such it will have some FPS fighty-explorey low level content to justify it in the first instance.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4556155 - 02/15/21 01:18 PM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I get the interest in wandering around the ship, and that would be cool. But only at first I imagine. I think about something like Silent Hunter. For years the players asked for this ability, and finally we got it. It was really cool the first time, and maybe the second, but after that it's rarely done.

Like I said I'll surely get the expansion, I enjoy the game, and won't want to be left behind. Just wish there were more in it to get me excited.

So no one has heard anything about new ships?

And just think, we'll have more things to engineer! G5 face mask with anti-fog experimental smile

#4556165 - 02/15/21 01:53 PM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
MOAR GRRRRRIND!!!!!!!!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4556172 - 02/15/21 03:22 PM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Not into the FPS side for ED... I'll see how it pans out, but it may be something I pick up at a later date if, as others have stated it contains something worth having that we don't know about yet.

#4556179 - 02/15/21 03:54 PM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
Also worth mentioning that it won't be in VR, at least not at release. Supposedly there will be a seamless transition from VR to flat, my guess is there will be a virtual monitor screen displayed.

It really reminds me of the Eve Online "Captain's Quarters" that they rolled out about 10 years ago. It was supposed to be this great thing to allow walking in stations, and you would have a "bedroom" of sorts - the actual "Captain's Quarters."
It was much hype and much ado, but at then end of the day, as DB said, it became easier to NOT use the CQ to access the various parts of the station (ie market, inventory, ship fitting etc) and after the novelty wore off, it was virtually unused.
It was quietly removed from the game complete a couple of years ago.

Without adding any groundbreaking content, I can see Odyssey fairing not much better.

-Robert Heinlein
#4556180 - 02/15/21 04:01 PM Re: Odyssey. Not convinced [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And this initial release is PC-only, in case anyone is on console.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.