Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4556114 - 02/14/21 10:36 PM Geological, no, Biological Sites  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
So this afternoon I decided to make some landings, and broke out the DBX. I needed cadmium for many of the mods I use. I also wanted to stock up on selenium so I could brew up some better multicannon ammo for the CG CZ. The system I just moved to, UGP 145 has some good prospecting planets. I started off with the old school SRV prospecting, and did fine. But just one selenium. So I decided to try geological sites again. And just like my previous experience I had little luck. I landed at three of these, deployed the SRV and struggled to negotiate the terrain. These always seem to be forbidding places, deep canyons, with steep terrain and cliffs. And I didn't get much of a yield. The crystals are easy enough to shoot off, but it seems to me there are about as many of them at the entire site as I would get out of any two outcroppings or meteorites, and takes a lot longer, with search time exluded.. Not only that, when the crystal falls, sometimes it then gets stuck in a crevice on the thing it's being shot off of. No amount of gunfire will then dislodge it.

So what's the trick? Are these really better places to prospect? Or is it because they are easy to find and saves you driving around in the rover using the scanner? Anyone have any tips? What should I be looking for? How to increase my yield? Because otherwise it's more fun, and productive to race over the planet surface searching in the SRV. I'm half driving, half flying and that's pretty fun.

Other players always recommend geo sites for this, but I have yet to be convinced it's any better, aside from having a POI pointing at it.

I was very surprised to see that the polonium I found was the first ever! How is that possible? I was sure I had gotten this before. Anyway, no one will know how this is possible. I'm just expressing my astonishment.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4556128 - 02/15/21 01:05 AM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY

I followed this guy's recommendations for sites, and wound up maxing out all the G4 raws in a fairly short time. He even suggests which of the sites are easiest to navigate in the SRV in a couple of cases.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the shards stuck, but I found a way to harvest them. You can't shoot them, but the hitbox for the cargo scoop is fairly large, so I was able to use the Up thruster to get up high enough to scoop them in most cases.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4556134 - 02/15/21 03:56 AM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
DBond there is mucho grande Selenium at the following Gro sites;

LHS 417 - 9EA GEO sites 18 - 19 - 21 - 23 - 25
I think I was full after hitting sites 21 and 23 and it didn't take long to run them in the SRV.

Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4556156 - 02/15/21 01:25 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks gentlemen. I'll have a look at that video JC.

Thanks for the locations WIngnuts.

So you guys are believers in the Geo sites?

I got sh!t-tons of stuff doing the old school SRV prospecting, just not much high-level. Do geo sites have higher chance of G3 and G4 raws than random rocks? The metallic meteorites are the juicy ones, but few and far between.

#4556164 - 02/15/21 01:49 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I think it's an efficiency thing. You can gather mats a variety of different ways, but if you want to min-max your grind effort time, geo/bio sites are the way to do it.

I linked the wrong video - this is the one I meant. Though I think he uses the same sites....
Raw mat farming starts at 9:56, though the rest of the video is good info for data and manufactured mats (check the timestamps for the rest).

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 02/15/21 01:52 PM. Reason: link was a mess

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4556177 - 02/15/21 03:52 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'll watch the video, thanks again JC. I'm specifically talking about raws here of course. Gathering the other two types is no issue for me. I used Inara to spy on the stocks you guys have on board. I'm more or less right there. Well, more less than more lol. But encoded I'm in the lead! Bo has a lot of PIs, jealous.

I am probably doing something wrong, and I'll see when I watch the video. I wonder if when people say geo sites are fast they are just speaking about how quickly that site can be cleaned out, but do not factor in that to reach the next one, you have to reboard the ship, get back in supercruise, and do another re-entry at the next POI, land, deploy the rover and so on. In the time it takes to do that my SRV has found three or six more booty rocks.

I want to be convinced because anything to speed it up would be appreciated. I still like racing around the planet surface. You should have seen me yesterday, launching off berms and trying to balance the thrusters to land like a butterfly with sore feet. Going full speed over an unseen crater edge and going full thruster and flying to the opposite rim. I rolled it a couple times too. Synthesized repairs four times! Haha

oops

#4556203 - 02/15/21 05:24 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
The site I mentioned will be a bonanza of Selenium for you. Drive in shoot scoop. Rinse and repeat until full.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4556205 - 02/15/21 05:27 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice! Thanks Wingnuts. I wanted to brew up that better ammo at the CG, but I only had like 15 selenium and didn't want to burn that up. Need to get more before I spend it like that.

And you have just about the same number of PIs as Bo, so jealous again smile

#4556238 - 02/15/21 07:59 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You know what? I'm not very bright. I am talking about having to get back in the ship and re-entries and all that. But I completely neglected a tactical relog. Doh!

Which makes me wonder..... if i find a good rock (not a geo site), shoot it and scoop the booty, can I just re-log and there it is again?

#4556255 - 02/15/21 10:44 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Only one way to find out....

-Robert Heinlein
#4556264 - 02/15/21 11:14 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Uh, no that will not work. Like I said though I filled up completely at two sites. They were very close together also less that 3 minute flight.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4556316 - 02/16/21 12:03 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'll be checking it out for sure. I see you also have a full stock of Polonium, while I have found just one in all of my Elite career. Crazy!

#4556427 - 02/17/21 04:10 AM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
DBond follow this guide and you'll never go back to hunting Raws the old way.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...ls-bins-using-crystalline-shards.481235/

Basically travel to;
Hip 36601 C 1 a for Polonium
Hip 36601 C 1 d for Ruthenium
Hip 36601 C 3 b For Tellurium
Hip 36601 C 5 a for Technetium

Outotz LS-K D8-3 B 5 c and collect Antimony
Outotz LS-K D8-3 B 5 a and collect Yttrium

You'll be full before you know it.
Good luck
Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4556458 - 02/17/21 01:17 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great stuff Wingnuts, thanks for the info. I was going to do this last night, but decided to see if I could lend a hand with the blueprint gathering going on, and by the time I got back near home I just decided to head back to home base. I will do this soon though. Thanks for all the help.

#4556579 - 02/18/21 01:10 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Plotted a route last night and saw it was 1,500 light years, which isn't much, but didn't have the time to do this. Maybe tonight. But the one thing I noticed is Wingnuts is recommending biological sites, not geological. I would have assumed raws/rocks were geological, so this is great advice, and stops me from looking in the wrong places smile

#4556656 - 02/18/21 10:45 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sensei, I owe you one for pointing me in this direction! This is insane.

So I flew out to the polonium market Wingnuts suggested. 1,600 light years from Barnwell. That's 27 jumps in Mad Hops, and I scooped and scanned along the way. Did a lot of FSS'ing, the cool-running DBX doing both at the same time. Not much good stuff, but I did find one AW and stuck it with probes. Arriving in the system I FSS'd the whole thing, 49 planets, and the polonium market was the second to last one I did. Ha, but at least the rest is done. It's a low-wake of 153,000ls, and once there I picked one of the biological sites and set her down in the wide open flat ground right next to the site. What a change from the gorges I was visiting before.

Deployed the rover, and ambled over to the bio site. Found the crystals and started shooting them off. In a little more than an hour I had filled my Polonium. That's 49 (x3) of them! Imagine getting 150 PIs in an hour. That's what this is like. I didn't need to relog (and I don't think that works on these sites anyway) and I didn't even come close to clearing it all. Got some nickle too while I was at it, and that's an often-used synthesis mat, so good on me. Not only was it insanely productive, it was fun. There is a lower, flat area and more on a hillside. The terrain is challenging, but not ridiculous. In order to shoot the crystals, you need the right angle, so SRV positioning is key, and you get totally involved with that. it's also very low gravity, and I made a game of catching the polonium before it hit the ground. I caught 27 in a row at one point before one fell just off my port window. Track IR is great for polonium snatching.

I'm going to hit more of these while I am out here. When I am done I won't need to do more prospecting like, forever. I still will, because I like mixing the rover in to the activity rotation, but I won't need to. As far as mat gathering goes, there is nothing I've done that is as productive for the amount of time spent. Think how far just half of what I got would go at a mat trader. Awesome. Thanks again Wingnuts and I think I'll add a post to that thread thanking the OP.

Here's Mad Hops Junior on the hillside. You can see the wide open landing plain, with the DBX in the background.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files PoloniumMarket.jpg

#4556687 - 02/19/21 04:13 AM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
DBond, make sure you visit these while your out there;
Outotz LS-K D8-3 B 5 c and collect Antimony
Outotz LS-K D8-3 B 5 a and collect Yttrium
Are there any carriers out there doing mat trading?

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4556718 - 02/19/21 01:12 PM Re: Geological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
There are many carriers, but I've not clicked on or docked at any to see which services they offer. I will hit more of these sites, but maybe not all of them. I'll be headed home at the first sign of I've had enough. It's so productive that I don't feel I need to squeeze out every last drop. And after a bit another activity will beckon, but I will hit a couple more for sure. Not doing much engineering right now, but i do have a Phantom and a DBS that need some attention. I bought them for things I didn't end up using them for, and they sit in the hangar awaiting some love.

#4556895 - 02/20/21 01:54 PM Re: Geological, no, Biological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hit three more of those sites last night, filling the bins on three more G4 raws. All four of the HIP 36601 planets listed above by Wingnuts have now been hit. In each case they took me about an hour, give or take ten minutes depending on the terrain, gravity and how many I had on board to start with. I mention the gravity because the lower it is, the slower the crystals fall back to terra firma. Before long I made a game of not only catching them, but seeing how high I could do it. Two of the planets had gravity at the surface of .03G and the rover can make some high leaps in that. Some crystals shoot up to around 35m when shot off, and I was grabbing them pretty close to the apex smile

When those were done I plotted a course for Outotz LS-K D8-3 for the Antimony. Got there and began FSS'ing the system, and this one is 51 planets. And it is a crazy layout, I think four different orbital planes, if that's the right term, and planets all over the place, both on those orbital lines and off. Only got a few done before I had to run, and left Mad Hops throttled back in supercruise to await my return. Was chatting with Rec and had to go suddenly, I sent you a message Rec, but now I think it was to local, and apologies for the rude departure.

While we were chatting, Rec mentioned he wants to stock up on raws for premium ammo. The stuff we are getting out on these planets Wingnuts suggested are used for that. Here's a rundown of the mats and what they are most useful for in synthesis, with hyperlinks to their respective Inara pages showing blueprint and experimental uses

Polonium -- Polonium is used to craft Premium AX Munitions, Premium Explosive Munitions, and for Premium FSD Injection

Ruthenium -- Ruthenium is used for Premium AFM Refill

Technetium -- Technetium is used in Premium Plasma Munitions, Premium SRV Ammo Restock, and Premium SRV Refuel.

Tellurium -- Tellurium is used for Premium AFM Refill and Premium SRV Repair

Antimony -- Antimony is used for Premium Small Caliber Munitions, and Premium Large Caliber Munitions

Yttrium -- Yttrium is used for Premium FSD Injection, and Premium High Velocity Minutions

So as you can see, this guide, and Wingnuts' advice, takes you to the places to get the high level mats needed to synthesize many of the premium ammunition types

I'll make one more stop on the way back home, and to the planet LHS 417 - 9EA for Selenium, as per Wingnuts' advice further up the thread

Selenium -- Selenium is used for Standard Plasma Munitions, Premium Plasma Munitions, Standard Small Caliber Munitions, Standard SRV Ammo Restock, and Premium SRV Ammo Restock.

#4557019 - 02/21/21 03:08 AM Re: Geological, no, Biological Sites [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Filled up the Yttrium and Antimony bins, and am back at Barnwell already, 1,800 light years return trip. I'll save the Selenium for another day, as it's really close by comparison. Thanks again Wingnuts, this was insanely productive, nearly 900 G4 raws, and a great ROI on my time.

#4557116 - 02/21/21 07:45 PM Re: Geological, no, Biological Sites [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
No worries, we help each other out in this game for sure. Glad I could be of help!

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.