#4555544 - 02/10/21 03:39 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, you've got a long row to hoe.

I'll help you if you do decide to dedicate yourself to it.

But you know what? You might have a blast, man, in CQC.

Equal ships, no engineering grind, all skill.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4555545 - 02/10/21 03:41 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Is CQC alive again?

I used to be decent at CQC...

#4555546 - 02/10/21 03:43 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Not sure how busy it is, I don't do it. I've got enough plates spinning to keep me occupied.

#4555632 - 02/11/21 10:04 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I fired up my Epic E:D account yesterday with my noob pilot to see if I could persuade myself to play it again.

Lots of things have changed since I last put real time into it. The throttle now closes when coming out of hyperspace. I cooked a few ships in 2015 before I figured that one out. The auto launch I already mentioned in an earlier post. First time using cruise assist too.

I did come across something that I couldn't figure out. I was making for a large station (I can't remember its name) but I noted that the next entry below the station in the list was *station name* 'completed'. Curious as to what it was I flew to it and it just looked like a large spanner. What is it, anyone know. I also docked at my first carrier, the Battleship Yamato it was called. Pretty impressive I must say.

I assume that if I dock with a carrier and leave the game and the carrier moves, I go with it?

Last edited by Chucky; 02/11/21 02:08 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4555648 - 02/11/21 12:06 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: Chucky]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Originally Posted by Chucky
I assume that if I dock with a carrier and leave the game and the carrier moves, I go with it?

It's been a while since I played too - since before carriers were a thing in fact. My assumption would be that the carrier's purpose is to transport vehicles a long way, and for that they'd charge an amount. Whether you're charged on the way in, just before it jumps away, or upon arrival, no idea smile I'm just riffing really, but I assume that as carriers are not only expensive, but they accrue expenses over time, that the owner needs to make money from it.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4555657 - 02/11/21 01:12 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DM]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
If you’re on a FC and it jumps, you go with it. This is true if you are logged in or not.

#4555659 - 02/11/21 01:31 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: Chucky]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Chucky
I fired up my Epic E:D account yesterday with my noob pilot to see if I could persuade myself to play it again.

It was those shots I posted in the screenshot gallery wasn't it Chucky? biggrin

Welcome back mate. Bo's got it right, and when I did a very long range sightseeing mission last week I found a few carriers at the destination. I was ready to turn in for the night, and briefly considered docking at one, but the fact that I could end up anywhere while away made me just exit in supercruise. 90% of the time that carrier probably isn't going anywhere. But not worth the risk, or maybe it is. What an adventure it could turn out to be, just ask those slaves we were talking about earlier haha.

I think Bo's carrier is safe though. Maybe he would give a heads up here if he was spinning up his drives.

I'm guessing the ship you saw was one of the mega ships? A generation ship perhaps?

Have a look here and see if you can spot it

https://elite-dangerous.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Megaships

I logged on last night and ran some more transport, bulk hauling, 45-54 passengers per hop in Parabellum. I'm gunning for level 2 Captain's badge

I call the ship a rumble bus, because it's role is transport, but it's also fully armed with the intention of engaging any interdictions. The passengers love the action (and survival). I was getting jumped by things like wanted Master Chieftains, and thanks for the bounty.

This is the ship

Parabellum Rumble Bus

Good speed, even stuffed with cabins. Decent jump, but not needed really for these missions. Decent protection and plenty of firepower for dealing with interdictions. Seats 55 Business Class.

#4555662 - 02/11/21 02:04 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I just had a look through the Megaships and I think it was a Detention centre? I may be wrong of course but it looked the most familiar.

Any idea on that contact I came across that looked like a spanner? *edit* (it looks nothing like a spanner,my bad)

*edit* Found it.

Attached Files UFO.jpg
Last edited by Chucky; 02/11/21 02:20 PM.

#4555668 - 02/11/21 02:30 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I believe that there is a tourist beacon smile

#4555670 - 02/11/21 02:57 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Bluford Orbital was a new station that was built during a previous TRADE Community Goal in order to have an ORBIS Starport station in LHS 3447 (one of the original STARTER systems).

This was a year or more ago, (5 years actually!!!!) so I am surprised it still has the "COMPLETED" tag.

I participated in that CG in 2016

Attached Files LHS3447.PNG
Last edited by Recluse; 02/11/21 03:01 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4555671 - 02/11/21 02:58 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
That will explain it then, I've never done a tour. It's the first time I've seen such an object with a name like that.

Last edited by Chucky; 02/11/21 02:59 PM.

#4555676 - 02/11/21 03:34 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Never too late to start. Those of us in the transport game won't like the added competition, but it's a big galaxy.

I've now hauled around 5,500 butts, with 1,000 of those VIPs (heads of state, celebrities, famous explorers, et cetera et cetera) and have zero disgruntled or ejected. The absolute key is to ignore the messages that pop up when the passengers have a request. Not just don't do whatever it asks, but don't even open the message. Ignore it completely.

Passenger missions are great. There is a nice variety of mission types, the pay is good with high faction rep and perhaps best of all, the passenger lounge has not been polluted by wing missions.

Here are some of the options....

VIP Transport -- Small party for a short distance, usually one hop. Because they can require any class, it's difficult to know which to mount. So I mount several, of different classes before hitting the passenger lounge. These missions take a full cabin regardless of whether it is filled.

Bulk Transport -- Missions with larger groups for a short hop. Again, can require any class. These missions allow you to spread the passengers in multiple cabins, running over from one to the next (if of suitable class)

Sightseeing -- Any class, small parties, often multiple longer range hops to several systems. Restricted to single cabin like VIP transport.

Long-range sightseeing -- The Famous Explorer type for very long trips. All classes, small parties.

Luxury -- Only in Saud Kruger, but these are fairly rare and I don't even look for them any more.

Rescue -- Evacuate passengers from burning stations in incursion systems. Used to be everywhere, now are nowhere. These work like bulk transport. Very short range, but also potentially hazardous. Quick turn around. Stack 'em and go. Rinse and repeat.

There are more, perhaps, and you might come across some that say they require prisoner cabins, this was planned but not implemented and these work with other cabins. Prisoner cabins do not exist at this time.

Always, always read the fine print in the mission description. You don't want to transport criminals if you aren't prepared for it.

#4555685 - 02/11/21 03:55 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
You know one thing I've always wondered about....

Why don't famous explorers have their own ships? biggrin

#4555693 - 02/11/21 05:23 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Why drive when you can be chauffeured and have a nip of bubbly? cheers

#4555701 - 02/11/21 05:45 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Elite elitists?

Yeah, that does make sense. Fame has it's attendant advantages I reckon.

#4555748 - 02/12/21 01:00 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Just landed at this beast

[Linked Image]

Thought I'd drop by. Bo's Nautilus-class is just 70 or so light years from my home system, so a hop, [skip], and a jump. Filled Poison Whiskey with Tritium and deposited it. Combat ship, not much space in the hold, but another 16t and you're nearly full. Got rid of a few claims, bought some limpets, and dropped 4 grand worth of explo data I picked up on the hop and the jump.

There's a High RES nearby so I'm going to go hunt some bounties for a bit. I'll drop by and sell 'em when I'm done. There were a lot of wanted ships in supercruise on the way to ANGBAND. Should have brought an interdictor. Next time.

Attached Files ANGBAND.jpg

#4555753 - 02/12/21 02:17 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Another shot of the carrier ANGBAND, base of the Black Sheep smile

[Linked Image]

Got some kills in the High RES about 60ls from the carrier. Not a great spawn, but I turned in what I got. I'm docked at your ship for the night Bo, please don't go anywhere smile

Attached Files ANGBAND2.jpg

#4555755 - 02/12/21 03:10 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
D,

You're safe, not goin anywhere. Thanx for the donations, my underpaid crew thanks you. Was on briefly tonight just to remap my controllers. Finally got my throttle back operational, was waiting on a bit of electronics from Ukraine. That arrived Tues, did some quick wire splicing last night. Tonight I got it all wired up and tested. Now all I have to do is NOT fry the electronics again with a static shock.
Came up with a use for my CM4 last weekend. Reconfigured it as a dedicated small miner. Had to do some re-engineering on it, but at least I now have a use for it.

#4555803 - 02/12/21 01:27 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm happy to contribute, only wish it had been more, but that GSR I put in last week took a C5 slot, added a 6A scoop and I'm down to a C4 Rack now. But anyway, your reserves are nearly topped off, so it won't take much more to fill it to the brim.

Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties.

Which reminds me. Rec, you had some gimbal issues recently, did I read that somewhere? Did you ever get that squared away? I probably have one or two stock Cougar gimbals laying around, since one of my Cougars is titanium Evenstrain and one is Uber NXT.

I like that you found a role for the Cobra Bo. So many players attack activities with the biggest hammer. I like seeing commanders being a bit more surgical, using small ships. As you guys know I have no large ships (Orca doesn't count lol) and always encourage folks to use smalls and mediums more. Half the player base would think it's nuts using a Cobra when you could use a Cutter and MOAR! I love it though. Good rock hunting commander smile

#4555808 - 02/12/21 02:07 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Originally Posted by DBond
I'm happy to contribute, only wish it had been more, but that GSR I put in last week took a C5 slot, added a 6A scoop and I'm down to a C4 Rack now. But anyway, your reserves are nearly topped off, so it won't take much more to fill it to the brim.

Sorry to hear about the technical difficulties.

Which reminds me. Rec, you had some gimbal issues recently, did I read that somewhere? Did you ever get that squared away? I probably have one or two stock Cougar gimbals laying around, since one of my Cougars is titanium Evenstrain and one is Uber NXT.

I like that you found a role for the Cobra Bo. So many players attack activities with the biggest hammer. I like seeing commanders being a bit more surgical, using small ships. As you guys know I have no large ships (Orca doesn't count lol) and always encourage folks to use smalls and mediums more. Half the player base would think it's nuts using a Cobra when you could use a Cutter and MOAR! I love it though. Good rock hunting commander smile

Yes I had Gimbal issues. Temporarily fixed now. but it is good to know that I might be able to hit you up for a replacement if needed. I really SHOULD do one of those mods, but I just can't seem to go for the expense and installation needed. Originally I had a lot of wobble in my stick which was not only disconcerting, but also affected the inputs with the X axis never centering and moving all over the place. Largely due, I believe to excessive wear on the central column, but at the time I suspected the X gimbal. A friendly SIMHQer answered my query and sent me his old GIMBALS. I installed the X Gimbal, and wrapped the column with tape. This worked for awhile, until the Gimbal SNAPPED catastrophically. I replaced the OLD Gimbal, wrapped with more tape, and tightened everything down, and SO FAR SO GOOD. I had replaced the POTS with the VIPERGEAR Hall sensors, as my Y pot had gone totally bad, but during the Surgery, the X-Gimbal Magnet "tail" snapped and i had to dig it out. Luckily I had a replacement mechanical POT, and, honestly I like the mechanical X pot better than I like the Y Hall Sensor. Was almost going to replace the HALL sensor with another mechanical pot if i can find one... but for now it is all good. Hall sensor has a smaller raw dynamic range, but calibration gives the full range.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

Page 24 of 55 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.