Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#4555387 - 02/08/21 09:09 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 ***** [Re: MrJelly]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Hi Moggy,

the problem wasnt only the Theatres, but also changing Planes, not fitting to the stored *msn files. So switching through the theatres dont cause CTD´s, if each theatre got its own Savedate aka gamedata folder, but if you keep the same theatre and switch the plane set, CTD´s may happen and did for me several times now, cause the new planes may not fit to the stored *MSN files, This is not always the case, but it happens. With the up to 10 Plane sets per Theatre, selectable from within the game (more would be possible by easy but we never saw the need), each plane set keep its own fitting *msn and campain files, while the Planes it self still get stored only one time in one or more Planes folders. And again, this Planesets inside the Theatre folders never was a must! If you look to the ETO 1 folder, of EAW1.28e, where the 4 plaesets got included, you will find also a seperate savedata folder outside the Planeset folders, for the case a other planeset got loaded direct into the EAW root, like it is now. The Plane sets was just a option, otherwise it was already like its now, with a probability to get a CTD.

CTDs with planes might happen, if the last mission was a bombing mission, but the new plane cant carry bombs, or if the last mission was 1940, but the new plane is 1943, or maybe if the last hombase is not a homebase of the new plane. There are many possible reasons why *.msn file cant work with every plane. But its also not nice for a player, if he want to play a campain or mission sequence and changing the planeset use the same datas, that even might not work at all.

Greetings,

Knegel

Last edited by Knegel; 02/08/21 09:09 PM.

If you think `thats close enough´, go closer, until the plane fill up the windscreen, then a short burst is enough!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4555395 - 02/08/21 09:40 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
But isn't the point that you would not accept the default "last mission" for a different plane.

For example I just flew two missions in the same theatre setup. The first plane set contained the MS406 fighter in the first slot. Loaded and flew.

Then kept the theatre but changed to s second plane set which contained a developmental Farman F222 bomber in the same first slot.

In the mission screen I did not accept the loaded "last mission", but set up a new mission which made sense to the plane actually selected. Loaded and flew without problem.

#4555421 - 02/09/21 09:02 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Actually we never found out why exact the CTD´s happen, but if they happen, you cant even reach the Hangarscreen, I hd that some times now. For example i couldnt fly the P40c of the ETO early planeset in the Mediterranian setup, until i deleted the stored mission files.

If you think `thats close enough´, go closer, until the plane fill up the windscreen, then a short burst is enough!
#4555425 - 02/09/21 10:10 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

I have bulit very different EAW worlds for twenty years, so I have huge experience of mismatched missions files, right from when I built the Midway theatre in 2000. My experience was that If you have a theatre mismatch - down to changing position and alliegience of bases - you will get a CTD before you get to the hangar screen.

But this problem is sorted now because each scenario has its own gamedata folder for its own mission files.

Then you would avoid a CTD after the hangar screen - caused by planes mismatch - by not flying any default "last mission" if you have installed a new planeset.

#4555426 - 02/09/21 10:30 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Right now i couldnt fly the B17E in the Mediterranian theatre, while it did work in the ETO world. In this case a "slot06" folder got created, inside the gamedata folder, but before a "lastmission.msn" file could get created, the game CTD, before i saw the Hangarscreen.. When i saw the empty folder, i made a copy of the "lastmissionmsn" from the "slot05" folder, and althouigh there is a fighter located, i now can reach the B17 hangar screen.

Last edited by Knegel; 02/09/21 10:31 AM.

#4555431 - 02/09/21 11:09 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

This i did try now:
1. I have the Mediterranian Theatre loaded.
2. I deleted all "slot**" folders, so no MSN files was left.
3. I loaded the Russia late planeset.
4. I tried to join evey Hangarscreen
The Yak 1b gives a CTD without message,
The IL-4 gives a CTD with Unable to find target! 2645 2 0
The Axis Planmes all did work.
copy/paste a "lastmissionmsn" msn into the Yak1-b and IL-4 folder solved the Problem.

I always had trouble to reproduce this CTD´s, probably cause there are many randomized values involved.

But again, the CTD wasnt the only reason for the possibility of the Planesets inside a Theatre folder. The storage of the Mission and campaign results was another good reason.

And also again: The Planesets inside the theatre folders never was a must! Afaik only the ETO_1 folder got offered with such Planeset as example, all other theatres missed them, instead the Planesets was playable like now, without the advantages i wrote.
But also ETO_01 could get played with any other Planeset.

Back to the main point: The planesset already was seperated from the Theatres long ago. The Planesets inside the theatre folder was just a new option in EAW1.28e, not a must.

Already in EAW1.28e every Theatre got its own Savedata folder and so *MSN files to avoid the known target related CTD

Last edited by Knegel; 02/09/21 11:20 AM.

#4555454 - 02/09/21 01:34 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Cape Charles, Virginia, USA
"1.40, 1.5, 1.6 These are many newer versions produced by MrJelly. Planes mostly by Rotten50. If you don't mind all the changes and willing to closely follow that small group of mainly online players its what you may want, skipping the now classic versions like the 1.28e, etc."

This statement is egregiously incorrect, giving the impression this development line is a minor effort that most players shouldn't bother with.

1.6 is NOT mainly for online players. Rather it is the culmination of the entire EAW world into one package. It is meant to be played both online AND offline as it offers the most flexibility, the most aircraft and the most scenarios of any of the development lines. The fact that most of the users are online players doesn't mean it is an online version.

In addition, the statement that most of the planes are mine is also in serious error. The planes in the 1.6 inventory are upgrades or variations of models, some that have been around since the beginning of EAW modding, probably as early as 2001. I produce no models of my own. All I do is buff up the old original models, modify flight data, add new weapons and convert them to the 1.6 format.

Next time ask someone who knows what they're talking about before spouting off nonsense.

Heck, even paranoids have enemies.
#4555480 - 02/09/21 07:58 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: Knegel]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Knegel

Back to the main point: The planesset already was seperated from the Theatres long ago. The Planesets inside the theatre folder was just a new option in EAW1.28e, not a must.

In 128E you could choose planesets provided within the chosen theatre folder for example if you flew Finland you had a choice of three planesets, 1940-45 Europe 01 had five. My working version of "Moggy's Europe 1940" under 1.29 had 20, including one for each of the ten days of Dunkirk.

What you couldn't chose to do (for example) was fly any of the Finland planesets in 1940-45 Europe 01. Not unless you wanted to manually start copying folders over..

I did this

1. I have the Mediterranian Theatre loaded.

I flew some missions using a DAW planeset.

I did not do this.

2. I deleted all "slot**" folders, so no MSN files was left.

So any mission files created with the DAW planeset remained.

I did this:

3. I loaded the Russia late planeset.
4. I tried to join evey Hangarscreen

I did not get a CTD in any hangar screen.

I went into both Yak1b and IL4 missions screens, setup missions and succesfully flew them. I did not get CTDs.

I don't know why you are, this doesn't seem to be a widely reported problem.. I accept it must be very frustrating.

Already in EAW1.28e every Theatre got its own Savedata folder and so *MSN files to avoid the known target related CTD

Yes, this was my point. This was how the mission file CTDs relating to inconsistent Theatre data were defeated. We didn't get problems with using multiple planesets in one theatre.

The only thing that occurs to me is that from 1.2E to 1.5 actually each *planeset* within a theatre folder had its own savedata folder. So not only did it avoid the "inconsistent theatre data" problem, if there is an "inconsistent aircraft data" problem, it would have avoided that as well.

Last edited by Moggy; 02/09/21 07:59 PM.
#4555482 - 02/09/21 08:42 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Hi Moggy,

you are right, the inside the Theatre folder stored Planesets couldnt get used inside a other theatre, without to copy paste them. But for a good reason! Cause they was created as campaign setup, to be played as campaign or as single mission sequence. For this its important to keep the related mission and campaign results stored. This got lost now!
But it wasnt needed to copy paste this planesets into every theatre! Safed like the planesets in 160, they could get used like today, in every theatre. So the possibility to use a planeset in every theatre already was there. Not for the planesets stored inside the theatres. cause they got stored there for a good reason.

And yes, the plane related CTD´s are much more seldom than the Target etc related CTD´s, but they happen.

Anyway, regarding the planesets nothing is new, but the possibility to store planesets inside the Theatrefolders (for a good reason) got ignored (i dont know if it got dissabled).

#4555633 - 02/11/21 10:05 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Just to clarify a few things, both about my posts and compatibilty:

Originally Posted by Moggy

The final version which was fully compatible with the original game setup, including menu screensize, was 1.28C. This is the significant version for players wishing to play the original game. The many theatres and scenarios were made for the original game can be used with this version.

Thats not always the case as I noted in my EAW1.28C-b-a-Editing.html document, to wit;

Originally Posted by EAW1.28C-b-a-Editing.html

Mission Files Changes

Mission files changes were made starting in 1.28

All the changes are not documented here yet (as of 1/2010)

runways.dat

To make the use of 32 airfield runway types
is now possible to use the new airfields you need to use the newer runways.dat

and to have additonal runways displayed in game you would need to add airfld.3dz files for the runways you make

runways.dat changes:

The runwways.dat differences are mainly the addition of a 'shadow record' in the first entry of runways.dat to use for carriers, and then the addition of some 28 records at the end of the normal default records.

to compare the 1.2 default to the new I make some pics available;

this pic shows the first record and the new header pointer which is 20h instead 0Bh meaing there are now 20h (32 in decimal) records in the file instead of 0Bh (11 decimal)

i this example the 1.28B ruways.dat on left compared to the 1.2 default on the right

[Linked Image]

the second shows the end of the file, on the right the old 1.2 default end of record and left with hexeditor highlighting the last byte in the new file where the old data last byte occurs

[Linked Image]

to use the new and combine with an old runways.dat you have customed you can see what you would need to add with a hex editor, use the new first record and header and then at the end tack on all the extra bytes of data
or simply paste your current data into the new in the proper area

Take note that this is only the 1.28b release runways.dat shown here, later ones, or those used by customized campaigns like SPAW, etc. may differ in the data

1.28a and on

Again not all changes recorded here yet 1/2010

in additon to the runways.dat described above..

1.28a and (by inheritence later .exes that may use the same data.cdf conating the .dats) have change to the targets.dat, tardata.dat, griddata.dat and airfield.dat files

The main change is due to the editing of Mr Jelly who added an extra base to targets.dat and airfield record to airfiled.dat as well as corresponding griddata changes, and a change of tardata.dat record locations pointed to from targets.dat

I only realized this recently so am only noting it now

The only part I document here is only the changes to targets.dat records pointers -
is found out by using my 2datscheck.exe program, which scans a targets.dat and airfield.dat file and makes a text file record output for the data from the 2 files to compare.
the comparison of the targets.dat and pointers in 1.28a (1.28b shown but the changes started in 1.28a and later) vs those of the 1.28 which had no such changes but adhered to the default 1.2 schema are shown in my pics here.

on the left in the pictures you see the 1.28b data and on right the 1.28 standard data

(My program uses a zero based offset to show here meaning the records start from 0 a 1 based offset shown in parenthesis() )
Except for the pointers to tardata.dat are different all is same until:
The first change you notice is at record #120 (121) things have changed, some records shifted around, so be aware of it
[Linked Image]

next you see major change at record #127 (128) a base was added with a new Acode
[Linked Image]

the effects of this are:
- a new base record which means the total number of bases is increased by 1 and so the targets.dat contains an extra record

- all bases afterwards are shifted in the records by increase of 1

- a new airfield.dat record and thus the airfield. dat since 1.28a has an extra record in it

- This makes it a inconvent for modders to try to use old data with the new, If you use my old tools or old documents you have to take the changes and data shift into account

- Also it means if you use a scenario / mission / campaign you cannot mix and match files
you would need targets.dat, tardata.dat, airfield.dat, griddata.dat all matching or you will get errors, ctds

- The possible effects on campaigns is unknown at this time

Code
Notes for new or old players

In practice I found that the target changes are not that much of an issue as long as you do not  mix and match files
in other words use the same era (ex. 1.2 era campaign) and thus size set of targets.dat, tardata.dat, airfield.dat, griddata.dat [i]all matching with your original tarname.str file[/i]
 - the effect is (as far as I remember) the newer aircraft carrier base will simply be ignored.
AFAIR this goes hand in hand with the runways.dat - you can use the old, but  simply you will not get the extra airbase runways, etc.

Anyway this information and technicalities really only are useful to modifiers of those skilled in the old ways of modifying or 'coding' if you will, of game files and not so much an end-user. 

There are various other issues which can occur and cause confusing CTD's ('crash to desktop' errors) when trying to use them with later eaw.exe's.

Unfortunately for old time users or people who expect to play EAW 1.2 era campaigns, scenarios, etc. with the newer 1.28 series eaw.exe's it can be a mystery to solve CTD's  and other errors  / unexpected results.

In most cases if its ant old campaign you want to fly you can ask someone like Moggy or the other players for their specific set of files to be used with the 1.28 series eaw.exe's and they can refer you to what files or send them to you, etc.

The thing about EAW is the areas of specialty in modifying the game were / are vast and there is hardly anyone who knows all areas of the game modifying and exact files or changes needed from the 1.2 era to the newest 1.6 etc. 
Probably MrJelly overall now knows the most about the game overall, having the source code and having built so many programs that can modify the files as well as newer eaw.exes. 
That said, there are a lot of quirks to old campaigns and mission files that someone like Moggy who has built entire scenarios or some other old timers may be more versed in the old ways.

Now if its flight modeling you probably want to refer to Ralf , that is Knegel for versions up to 1.3 ~ 1.4 and then Mr. ROtten or MrJelly for whatever changes after that.

Originally Posted by me a comment

The reason why I post this? Well maybe I shouldn't care but I just think its still common for old players on even new ones from other games to on occasion to try to come back / or into try EAW. But what I've observed over the years is that they typically pop in an old 1.2 install then maybe they try at best the 1.26 eaw.exe and then want to play DAW or some other campaign and after a short time give up due to problems.

This means they tend to misss out on all the changes that the original code group exe's like 1.28e. They might try the later series and even the 1.6 series but the thing is to fly that series you have to keep constant update on all the changes if you expect to fly with the onliners like MrJelly, Rotten, etc. Yes you can fly offline but if you for instance fly offline and then stay offline for example 1 year or 2 and then come back you will not be compatible with the the current 1.6 series players, etc.

This is why I always recommend the 1.28e.
I can fly the same 1.28e and come back in 10 years and still fly the exact mission I want with all the skins etc. It's not a moving target. The problem there is even to fly that if you want the later bug-fixes you need to know the proper later -made 1.28e .exe version that MrJelly or a Code Group code holder can compile the bug-patched version. And to top it off your PC OS (ex. Windows version, glide or DX version) may have changed. This is why many of the nicer changes also were never used by anyone outside the Code Group, for example the .BMP 24bit (really mirrored 16bit) skins and terrains, etc were never used - the notorious Direct X slowdown bug on Windows (btw: which is no problem on my Linux PC using WINE software because the DX version implemented by WINE differs from the MS version. There is a WINE wrapper that could be built into the .exe but the fact is that old DX games like EAW were not built by the proper standards compilers use other that MS Visual C used in the era. In other words the code within EAW as well as many old DirectX , Direct Draw, Directplay games is not industry compliant. This is also btw. why we can't recompile the eaw.exe in any later compiler and optimize it for anything later than like a pentuim 1 CPU.. lol)

Attached Files runways1.pngrunways2.pngtargetdiff1.28vs128c-1.pngtargetdiff1.28vs128c-2.png
Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/11/21 10:17 AM. Reason: grammar
#4555641 - 02/11/21 11:30 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

" They might try the later series and even the 1.6 series but the thing is to fly that series you have to keep constant update on all the changes if you expect to fly with the onliners like MrJelly, Rotten, etc. Yes you can fly offline but if you for instance fly offline and then stay offline for example 1 year or 2 and then come back you will not be compatible with the the current 1.6 series players,"

Again with the negativity and disinformation.

The 1.2* line had constant upgrades and that didn't stop anyone from downloading the newest version.

In addition, there hasn't been a SINGLE complaint from ANY member over the upgrades we've issued for 1.6. Seems the players like all the addition things we've done because they come back time and time again to download the latest version.

This sounds like nothing more than sour grapes over the fact that you had nothing to do with 1.6.

#4555649 - 02/11/21 12:30 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: FsFOOT]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

Originally Posted by FsFOOT
Just to clarify a few things, both about my posts and compatibilty:

Originally Posted by Moggy

The final version which was fully compatible with the original game setup, including menu screensize, was 1.28C. This is the significant version for players wishing to play the original game. The many theatres and scenarios were made for the original game can be used with this version.

Thats not always the case as I noted in my EAW1.28C-b-a-Editing.html document, to wit;

This is in practical terms misleading. I have all the 1.2 scenarios I have ever been able to find, set up in 1.28C. They run quite happily.

So far as runways.dat is concerned, increase in the number of airbase typers was a development I was very much involved in. However, the fact that the 1.28C setup allows of 32 runway types makes no difference to running older 1.2 secarios under 1.28C. These older scenarios are setup to use the original default 10 runway types, which appear in the top lines of the default 1.28C runways.dat. It matters nothing to the smooth running of those scenarios that the 1.28C runways.dat is a much bigger file. They are only reading those ten relevant lines.

As to mission files, I can talk from heavy experience. The many, many saved mission files for all plane slots, which I created in 2002 for the original 1.2 version of Dunkirk, work quite happily under 2009's 1.28C.

#4555656 - 02/11/21 12:59 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

FSFoot should delete his misleading posts, go play the game in it's many guises for a month or so, THEN com back with some pertinent observations.

Otherwise the regular run of the mill player should ignore everything he's saying.

#4555677 - 02/11/21 03:34 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: Rotton50]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Originally Posted by Rotton50
FSFoot should delete his misleading posts, go play the game in it's many guises for a month or so, THEN com back with some pertinent observations.

Otherwise the regular run of the mill player should ignore everything he's saying.

Sadly, I agree.
Much of what he has written in inaccurate and misleading.

The complaint about what happened when we added an extra target to 1.28c is laughable.
The extra target was the first EAW carrier with a raised deck, and this was a major breakthrough, put to excellent use in the release of SPAW. With the editors that I wrote there was no problem in producing the airfield.dat, griddata.dat, tardata.dat and targets.dat files for the new default theatre.
All versions since the original 1.28 can still use the 1.2 theatre files wink

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4555688 - 02/11/21 05:10 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

FWIW, you don't have to be sad about it.

Misinformation in such a small community could be very detrimental to the game so it's important for those of us who've hung in there CONTINUOUSLY for 23 years need to fight this type of "drive by" statement.

#4556437 - 02/17/21 07:15 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Moggy; I see how you can say that - 1.28c works because in most cases it does. But that is 1.28c prior to the 1024 x 768 menu screens and code (which btw was not a sole production of MrJelly but was a combined contribution of the Code Group as it was back then)

--- Everyone else;

First people should know that as of 1.2c + 1024 or 1.28d as it was released, the EAW game menu screens grapics are 1024 x 768 pixel size.
Without converting no previous game scenario that contains the smaller 800 x 600 (or smaller as in 1.1 or 1.0) screens will work. They will produced what we call CTD"s aka "Crash to Desktop" possibly with and sometimes without an error code message.

My point in posting is not a bunch of arguements.

I won't bother to get too annoyed by post by Rotten50 - But still I wonder why does the moderator actually allow this guy to continually attack me?

Never-the-less your statements that I don't know what I am talking about seems to me to be just a shallow attempt to discredit me. I've been coding this game on an off since 2002 (yes its my hobby not my job!) and before Mrjelly and I started out making scenarios by hand by hex-editing using tips from Moggy, Emil, Dominique Legrand and P.o. Prune and some stuff I had to figure out on my own.

Originally Posted by MrJelly

Sadly, I agree.
Much of what he has written in inaccurate and misleading.

The complaint about what happened when we added an extra target to 1.28c is laughable.
The extra target was the first EAW carrier with a raised deck, and this was a major breakthrough, put to excellent use in the release of SPAW. With the editors that I wrote there was no problem in producing the airfield.dat, griddata.dat, tardata.dat and targets.dat files for the new default theatre.
All versions since the original 1.28 can still use the 1.2 theatre files

You seem to gloss over the fact they either need your fileset - not the the originals, or have to make their own!
With the editors that I wrote there was no problem in producing the airfield.dat, griddata.dat, tardata.dat and targets.dat files for the new default theatre.

And your tools are hardly even documented so no one outside of your closed group can really use them.

I know what I'm talking about. During the creation of my Beachhell scenario which I created during the Code Group 1.28a, 1.28b and 1.28c eaw.exe developements I had to constaintly make adjustments and make changes and point out bugs too many to list here (ex. some new terrain tiles not working / some water/land overlays do not rotate / ground objects in the tm do not appear on some 3/4 rotated tiles / changes between some objects that used to appear in the tardata now swapped to tm /. Yes, many of those bugs I pointed out were fixed in the later .exe's. but only after I pointed them out!

It seems to me some here just don't appreciate that I made a bunch of contributions to this game and the Code Groups work and many discoveries and pointed out bugs and bug-fixes.

Look the fact is until I pointed out in my analysis of the tm2 code by Wil Gee that the code should work MrJelly had given up on the tm2 because he or the group thought it did not work.
I proved in my experiment that it did work.
MrJelly went back to the code after that and ironed out the bugs. Credit to him is due but frankly so is credit to me, without which so many things in EAW just would not have happened, Just like so many other times. Like the same time I pointed out from my analysis the 'TH' header files were IMHO actually an abandoned attempt bump-mapping type terrain system. Then he pursued that and voila' another discovery for EAW and some developement. But he never mentions I gave the whole idea. Same with so many other ideas I had that he implimented or in some cases just flat out 'stole'.

The details I posted are just for the record and really more for the potential future enthusiasts so those that come to the game after the gog.com release will not have to just scratch their head and give up why the scenario they downloaded or are wanting to modify doesn't work.

My notes might not quickly solve any scenario maker or player's problems but at least they are for the record so someone can search around for the answer if I or other existing documentation does not provided it.

Because the documentation of a majority of the changes in the game is lacking or nil, most the major changes were / are not even used by game players and especially scenario modifiers.
Example the tm2 terrain system allows for thousands of unique terrains tiles but no one really has a terrain of unique tiles. And so many other examples.
The problem with the developement of this game is that many if not most of the Code Group changes were not documented.
MrJelly took it upon himself to continually develope code without any documentation or sharing it as code patches like a normal development team would so others could apply those patches to their .exe.
( to those who don't understand much about coding /programming you should be imformed that many fixes and changes could be applied to the 1.2 ~ 1.28x or 1.3 series to make various 'patched' eaw.exe's or in other words game changes and bug fixes without having to use a 1.4 ~ 1.6 based eaw.exe, etc. which is basically a developement group).

MrJelly unfortunately for the game continued a selfish path of developement of his own exe code - in other words a 'closed' type of developement path were he controlled the cumulative patch changes to his end-product only. This type of developement might be his own perogative one could say but that doesn't account for the fact that the code to begin with and the patches by other code group persons were not his.
So basically he manipulated a strategy of dominating the code. The code he produces is effectively 'closed source' as opposed to 'open'.
Yes there a few other contributors but they basically keep in the 'closed source' loop.
That mindest and action gave away a huge potential the game had to attract new coder talent, scenario and other modifyers and players to the game.

That with the lack of a concise wiki and documentation have albut made this game a has-been that will never regain much ground.

Thus the original open to EAW community members developemental potential of this game is no more.
The original group voted in by the EAW SimHQ EAW forum community members to the 'EAW Code Group' are (other than the MrJelly closed door group) disbanded and scattered about.

Actually the best hope of any of that is from the MarkEAW EAW Help Site and the documentation and reservoirs of the code that do exist outside of the MrJelly closed-loop group, waiting for the future potential if it ever does build up some steam and manifest new arrivals.

You can contact MarkEAW or afew other independents that are around if you have some interest.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 02/17/21 06:41 PM. Reason: spelling
#4556441 - 02/17/21 07:45 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
There are sound reasons based on the behaviour of others why the code and utilities that I made are not shared in the public domain frown
You can thank them for that.
People still have a choice of EAW versions, and now the version of 1.28 that you pay for is an additional one. Sadly the original version was available free in the public domain. Some of your code is in it, along with the rest of the contributions by the original code-group , and GoG are making money out of our work. It was released without our permission.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4556449 - 02/17/21 11:38 AM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Rotton50 Offline
3DZ / campaign designer
Rotton50  Offline
3DZ / campaign designer

Here's the state of the world now displayed in the microcosm of EAW.

A member who posts very rarely AND posts inaccurate information at that, claims he is attacked when another member points out these things.

We've suffered through 23 years of thin skinned members like this.

You regular folk out there, please ignore this malcontent's comments.

#4556494 - 02/17/21 06:22 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

The original group voted in by the EAW SimHQ EAW forum community members to the 'EAW Code Group' are (other than the MrJelly closed door group) disbanded and scattered about.

It is worth saying that the original semi-formal structures set up by the original EAW Community at SimHQ - SEAWC, the associated Code Group, and the Code Committee (responsible for membership of the Group and election of a Committee Chairman) , simply faded away. With that any formal collective development of the Code, as originally envisioned, ceased. Whilst it's possible to regret that, it's not possible to blame anyone. People found better things to do. Possibly rediscovered real life smile

The remaining active handful in the former Code Group could either have retired and left it at that (after all, 128C, 129E and 129 were out there for anyone to use), or they could continue game development as a more personal initiative.

Hence the coding work done largely by Mr Jelly to produce 1.6.

Any other former member of the Code Group (and there were quite a lot at the begining, all having posession of the code) could have done the same. Nobody else did.

If you like 128C or 128E, play it, mod it, enjoy it. You'll be using the hard work work of all the previous Code Group members, and they'll be glad their work is giving fun and pleasure. The same applies to 128GOG.

If you want to try the great possibilities of 1.6, have a go at that. It's great offline and online. And doubtless development of it will continue.

#4556500 - 02/17/21 07:55 PM Re: European Air War- still running in 2015 [Re: MrJelly]  
Knegel Offline
Hotshot
Knegel  Offline
Hotshot

Hi Roy,

"MrJelly unfortunately for the game continued a selfish path of developement of his own exe code - in other words a 'closed' type of developement path were he controlled the cumulative patch changes to his end-product only."

This is absolutly not true!! All over neighter me or Tony are the type of man who controlled the code like a dictator!! Always the ideas and wishes of the whole community got included as good as possible!!

For several years Tony was the last man standing, of course he had to make decissions!! Before, for some years, Tony and me was the main programmers on the code, after Sydbod left, who was at least my teacher in C / C++ . We did try to get others involed, but noone had the time. Then i got another Baby and lost all time!

When i see EAW160, its a steady developed EAW1.28e.

EAW always was difficult with Addons and compatibility. Addons often caused CTD´s, if used in a wrong way, even under EAW1.2!! You dont tell anything new!!

The basic setups, Tony offer for D/L, are very impressive Setups, with many possibilitys. It would be good, if someone create better setups for offline gaming for example, unfortunatelly this dont seems to happen, or the D/L-Links are well hidden.

I also couldnt find a EAW1.28e installer D/L, where FAW, SAW, SPAW etc are already included, that also would be nice.

As Moggy says, noone is to blame for how its going, its the oposide, the people who still work on this old Lady have my respect!

Salute!

Knegel

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.