Hop To
Page 23 of 55 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 54 55
#4555388 - 02/08/21 09:13 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Have any of you guys seen this? Carrier players using noobies as slaves? https://www.polygon.com/features/2021/2/4/22264605/elite-dangerous-newbies-trapped-forced-labor

It was touched upon in today's 'Mingles With Jingles' if anyone follows him.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4555390 - 02/08/21 09:21 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Hahahahahaha. I was just reading that. Really hilarious stuff.

#4555393 - 02/08/21 09:37 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
I'm always amazed at the creativity players can achieve. Personally I'm ok with it. I'm sure such shenanigans are a frequent event in something like Eve.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4555396 - 02/08/21 09:40 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I read that a few days ago. I'm conflicted. On one hand I think consequences for decisions are a good thing, even when they are bad. These players that got trapped made a decision, and they had to live (for awhile) with the consequences. On the other hand I don't want new players to quit over other players taking advantage of their inexperience and trust.

Still, it spawned an even better thing, the rescue. And this is compelling content. And besides, all these players would need to do is self destruct, and bank the lesson they just learned. I would hate to lose a ship for any reason, but this is the price you pay, I suppose.

On my very first day in GTAO I was out in the city on foot looking for my first car. As I climbed the decks of a parking garage looking for one, I got a message, "your Uber awaits at the top". I looked out and there was a helicopter in a perfect hover pointing directly at me. I climbed another deck and the helo did too. At the top I thought "why not", despite my misgivings. I got in. Bad move.

We flew over the city at night, and I took it all in. It was beautiful and peaceful. As we approached the Vinewood sign on the hillside, the pilot set her down. What a perfect spot to take n the sights of the city lights sprawled out below. As the pilot climbed out I saw he was a clown. Clowns are NEVER good. Green hair, red cheeks, big feet, the whole works. Uh oh.

In his hand was a machete of course (what else?). I fumbled for my pistol and instead brought out my fists. Derp. Whack! Ouch, that hurt.

I finally got my gun out and shot him in the face. Nothing happened aside from another machete chop and I died, right there on the hill with Los Santos sleeping and unaware. OK lesson learned. I then respawned. IN THE SAME #%&*$# PLACE!!!

By now homie was back in the whirly bird and I tried running down the hill. He chopped me up with his rotor blades.

"Sorry man, I had to do it" He says.

Homie don't play dat. So I quit. Yeah it sucked, but I earned a valuable lesson (which I already knew). People generally suck, and don't trust anyone, especially when they offer something to you that you didn't ask for.

And the concept art in that article is awesome.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4555397 - 02/08/21 09:41 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Online sleepy
JohnnyChemo  Online Sleepy

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
Time savers are gold in this game, so why not. I'm at work so can't watch the video right now. Are the actions nefarious? Gamey? What's the conundrum?

Gamey. If it's the one I followed, you are given certain system criteria (ie a high population system in civil war) and go to HGE sources adn collect the G5's there. Log out completely (exit game) log back in and repeat for manufactured materials.
A few systems give to go to biological sites and get G4 raws, and Jameson's shuttle for data.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4555398 - 02/08/21 09:44 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well sh!t, if relogging is bad, I'm the worst!

Or is this different than a relog?

#4555428 - 02/09/21 10:32 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
If by relog you mean go back to the main menu and re-enter, then yes it's different. You need to completely exit the game and then restart.
I think it's gamey, but I'd rather do something gamey than grindy, so...

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4555451 - 02/09/21 01:26 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, that's what I mean, to the menu. I've not done the full drop out of the game to relog. But I don't have a problem with it either. Honestly, since they introduced material traders it's all become pretty easy. Mats are everywhere, including as mission rewards. The ones you actually need, not so much. But the trader bridges that gap, albeit at a cost. Just about everytime I log on I try to do a little bounty hunting in Poison Whiskey, stopping here and there to release a couple limpets, and get dozens of mats each time. When I'm ready to engineer something I identify what I need (Inara is perfect for this) and then a stop at the trader to get whatever I am short of, by trading the mats I got bounty hunting.

High Grade Emissions signal sources are also a big help, since G5 mats have the most value at the trader. I'm all for time savers, but what you need is out there if you know where to look and how to get it. If you weave these things in to your everyday play you'll have lots of mats on board.

#4555453 - 02/09/21 01:31 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
So re-logging to farm Mats and such might be considered an exploit, but it is somewhat benign. I think the COMBAT re-logging is what is frowned upon... OMG I am about to be destroyed. I am going to log off and live to fight another day (in PvP, mostly, I guess)

They added the mechanic of a timeout that needs to be reached when "ship is in danger" to mitigate this.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4555472 - 02/09/21 06:31 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
I seem to recall a discussion on that and I don't think they consider the re-log to be an exploit.
If you want to be REALLY efficient, they you go to the mat trader first, do your grinding/gathering and self destruct back to the mat trader station. I did that farming the raws, which beat 30-4- jumps back.

DB I hear you - when I take missions I'll take the mat rewards. Did that a bunch when I was doing station rescue missions, and I wound up getting a good supply of low grades.

-Robert Heinlein
#4555476 - 02/09/21 06:43 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yep exactly JC. Because money has a lower priority for me at this stage, I almost always opt for either G5 mats or Rep+++++ rewards when they are available. Elite-level missions often offer these. Just another reason why I like establishing a home system. The longer I stay, the wider the web of allied factions grows, spreading farther and farther in to neighboring systems. Without good faction rep, the quality of the missions on the boards suffers, and the rewards are generally hardly worth it.

I take a bit of grief on the Frontier boards when I advocate for having a home system. Nomad mercenary isn't really my style, I like both the roleplaying vibe of having a home, plus the net of allied factions in the region. In this way I can take a transport mission for example. And at that station I'll also have high-level missions to keep chaining them together. It really pays off in a big way I think..

#4555484 - 02/09/21 08:56 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
Yes, I've noticed that my home system (has both Empire and Fed factions) was giving significantly better missions before my standings degraded due to inactivity.
I like having a home system too. Something about having all your stuff in one spot so you don't have to try and remember where everything is (though I think I've got modules scattered throughout the bubble!!)

-Robert Heinlein
#4555493 - 02/10/21 12:38 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Something else must have happened to cause that JC. Minor faction rep does not decay. Superpower rep does, down to 75% (Friendly), but superpower rep means nothing really. Minor faction rep doesn't decay due to inactivity, but actions taken by the player can cause it to drop. It's a reason to not bounty hunt in your home system for example.

And only faction rep affects the missions you are offered. Superpower rep does not. So there must be a different reason if the mission quality drop you saw was due to lowered minor faction rep.

I'm also based at a station with a mix of Fed and Imp factions, and I specifically sought it out for that reason.

#4555504 - 02/10/21 02:15 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Here's one of those good passenger hops. I've only recently moved to this system, but I've got all the superpower-aligned factions allied, but you see the un-alinged one isn't quite there (probably because I shoot them down in the High RES lol.)

[Linked Image]

This is Parabellum, my rumble bus Krait. I can just squeeze that many business class aboard. These sorts of rewards are excellent for a mission that takes about 5 minutes. I could cram a few more in by replacing the C3 GFSDB with another cabin, but class 3 Business only seats three, and there really aren't any missions that call for 55-58 business seats. The scoop has to be dropped for me to hit 55 seats. But when the hops are this short who cares smile

Post Script: I took the Focus Crystals

Attached Files GoodBoards.jpg

#4555505 - 02/10/21 03:18 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Okay I'm highly discouraged again.

How do I get 100% of the materials required to engineer everything in less than 5 hours of time?

This seems like way too much of a PITA to bother. I have no interest whatsoever in farting around with nonsense. I want to get back to killing humans, but without engineering, I can't.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 02/10/21 03:18 AM.
#4555506 - 02/10/21 04:23 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

How do I get 100% of the materials required to engineer everything in less than 5 hours of time?

This seems like way too much of a PITA to bother. I have no interest whatsoever in farting around with nonsense. I want to get back to killing humans, but without engineering, I can't.

And there lies the rub. There will be a grind involved to acquire materials to do a whole ship. You will be thankful that you did as the benefits are impressive. To begin gather everything. Collect materials at every USS you come across. Get a wake scanner and scan wakes at stations. Hook up with as many engineers as you can, and keep gathering everything you come across. Holler if you want help.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4555520 - 02/10/21 11:32 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DBond
Something else must have happened to cause that JC. Minor faction rep does not decay. Superpower rep does, down to 75% (Friendly), but superpower rep means nothing really. Minor faction rep doesn't decay due to inactivity, but actions taken by the player can cause it to drop. It's a reason to not bounty hunt in your home system for example.

And only faction rep affects the missions you are offered. Superpower rep does not. So there must be a different reason if the mission quality drop you saw was due to lowered minor faction rep.

I'm also based at a station with a mix of Fed and Imp factions, and I specifically sought it out for that reason.

Hmmmm....I guess I've angered the natives. Now I have to go back to playing nice!

-Robert Heinlein
#4555521 - 02/10/21 11:35 AM Re: Dust Off [Re: Mr_Blastman]  

Buffalo, NY

The video posted earlier in the thread is probably the best you'll do for cranking out mats in a reasonable amount of time. That video is geared toward maxing out all the high ends, you can get away with just grabbing what you need, but you'll have to do the prep work to know what that is via EDEngineer or Inara.
Personally, since I had to travel so far to get the raws (and that is the biggest grind), I figured I'd max out everything so I didn't have to do it again for a while (ever if I'm lucky!!).

-Robert Heinlein
#4555526 - 02/10/21 01:20 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

This seems like way too much of a PITA to bother.

I'm happy you're back, but at this point my advice is to just back away biggrin

in less than 500 hours of time?

Fixed it. This won't be too bad if you have already unlocked the engineers you need. Have you? If not, you've only barely scratched the surface and there is no way you'll be able to do this in 5 hours, or even 100. For example, in your hull tank Cobra you'll need armor engineering, which requires Selene Jean. And she requires 500t mined, which maybe you've done. I don't know what you've done previously. And just to meet her you have to unlock The Blaster. And then gather enough mats to engineer a half-dozen HRPs plus the armor.

And that doesn't even consider your thrusters, FSD, rails, power plant and anything else you'll want to engineer. And if PvP is your goal, then you need to unlock a lot of engineers. Engineering is a long-haul objective. But like I said if you've already unlocked engineers then this can go pretty quickly, a couple of days at most. If not, you're looking at several hundred hours of effort.

Like Wingnuts said the benefits are worth the effort. Each of us has been through it. The massive boost in performance, capability and effectiveness is awesome, but it takes some dedication and a lot of time. If you are already frustrated by it, then it's not worth it, you have a long way to go.

#4555543 - 02/10/21 03:06 PM Re: Dust Off [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I haven't mined anything, ever, and have 500 hours into the game as is, but from "alternative" activities. smile

I've never played a MMO in my life, FYI, and the main reasons are

a) cost. I won't ever pay a dime per month for a game. Thankfully Elite doesn't have this problem.

b) time to win. Skill is not a factor here, only time spent. Those who spend the most time, win.

I prefer competitive games that are 100% skill based, with equal equipment. Everyone gets the same brand tennis racket and shoes. The rest is up to them.

So you can see the more I did how much of a brick mountain this seems.

I have four major engineers accessible on my map, and if I recall, maybe I unlocked a couple of them?

Page 23 of 55 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 54 55

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.