Hop To
#4555168 - 02/07/21 01:50 AM Android tv box  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Couple weeks back I got an android tv box to watching streaming content on my Smart tv. Let me share some of the experience with it since it has involved a lot of trial and error and some frustrations. Also some successes.

First error. Got the wrong thing. Didn’t know what I was doing and nor being sure went cheap. Turned out I got a 2.4 box rather than a dual 2.4 and 5G capable box. Didn’t know this right away. Had a friend who uses one to help me set it up and start on the process of installing apps. The apps are what do the searching and management of what is available for streaming.

Second error. Long times to download apps. This relates to the first error. So he suggested downloading the Ookla speed test. Did that and ran it very low download speed. About 7mmps.

Learning point here. Called my internet provider and spoke to tech about download speed. Turns out they can control how much they give you out of what they advertise. So they did some things on their end and had me physically unplug and reboot from my end. A couple iterations of running the speed test and .... marginal success. Download speed went to about 18.

Retried running things and found that movies and shows still had too much buffering and pausing.

A bit of reading on websites and hit the “ah-ha” issue . Back to the first error. So I got a dual capable box. Set it up downloaded Ookla first thing and ran test. There we go ... speeds consistently over 60. This time when we downloaded apps it was much, much quicker.

Learning point on the apps. The internet has many suggested apps. You have to be careful when selecting from the sponsoring sites to make sure you get a solid app and not necessarily the newest version. Some are labeled “Beta” some aren’t even though they are. Trial and error loading and running them. Had to delete and go back to try another version. Got a couple good ones working properly.

Started using them. No instructions so you just have to stumble around. Once you get it though it works pretty smoothly.

Error with WiFi router location. Was still having some buffering and pausing. Moved the router to the other side of my WiFi laser printer so it didn’t interfere. A little bit closer to the tv room as well.
Good improvement.

Learning point with choosing streaming sources. When you select show it will start searching for streaming sources. A list will start building. Some show HD, 1080, 720, 480. Some will display their expected streaming speed. I found that if you select the HD or best resolution you may still experience some buffering and pausing. Lower choices may not be as nice but flow smoother. I am also learning which streaming sources seem to be consistency better. Good thing is if you are having problems with your selected source you can back out and try another.

So now I am happily going back to movies and shows that I want to see again. Watching movies that I hadn’t seen before. Man this is cool. Able to go back to old tv shows and watch them. You open an app, select movie or tv show and type in a search. If it is found you select it and it opens it and has it managed by season and episode. Very cool. Wife and I started watching old tv sitcom called Wings. Then a problem with this whole streaming thing. Sometimes it doesn’t find a site to stream what you want. Or it finds it but can’t find an actual content stream. Or it will find it, open the seasons and episodes, let you watch a few, then can’t find the next episode. Frustrating since it will find the episode behind it. Have repeated searching for that episode a couple days hoping it would pop-up. Tried different apps. Again finds the show and sets up the seasons and episodes but can’t find a stream for the same one missing in the other app. So it appears that some episodes just aren’t streamed.

Some movies either can’t be found or it finds it but can’t find a stream.

Oh well, it is about 85% great.

So if you haven’t tried one of these tv boxes I highly recommend it. For about $45 you open a whole new world of watching movies and shows.

So get a box that will do dual bands and make sure it specifies 5G. Don’t go too cheap and get the lowest memory. Make sure your internet router is properly placed to allow for best signal to the tv box. Load Ookla speed test right away and check your speeds. Call your internet provider and complain about download speed and have them open yours up more. When selecting apps be careful in trying to get the newest one one the list since we all know about Beta problems. Download and install at least two apps and get busy learning them and learning how use them and the streaming sources.

Are any of you using a tv box ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4555170 - 02/07/21 03:08 AM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I use Roku devices, which are very similar, but have started just using apps on my smart TVs instead because it saves a step. I am not sure what sources you've been using, but I wonder if all of them are legit, and if not, how that may factor into your experience. I know some people have boxes that they know are tapping into illegal sources overseas to get past copyright issues.

Have you thought about using a wired connection to your device? I know not everyone can do this, but I had a patch panel set up with network drops in key locations, so I can get my media devices connected via cables rather than wireless, and it's a lot more stable. Another friend of mine was able to go into his crawl space and pull cables up through the floor.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4555178 - 02/07/21 04:44 AM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Had to buy a new router to get Apple 4k TV working when I updated my cable connections to 600mpbs. Without the 5hz connection it would not do what I needed. Funny thing,
I don`t use an Iphone. Have Motorola Moto Z they don`t make anymore. But it has 128gb built in memory and expandable to 4tb, No micro sd cards that big yet. found a 256gb.
And have been using it.
It is an Android system. But been very careful what apps to download. Many fastfood apps annoyed me to death. They were deleted quickly.

My son uses an Android box for TV to. He is wizz at that stuff. Have no clue and stuck with what I know.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4555194 - 02/07/21 11:13 AM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
OG, I find that most of the issues are with the cheap unbranded or unknown makes of TV box. The ones that cost under £50/$75 with a brand not known of. They'll have no real product support, no updates etc and cheaply made

I'm good with Android stuff but these boxes are quite hit and miss.

In the end I got an Nvidia Shield TV. Cost me more, around £200 but is well made, simple to use and still actively supported, only got a new update last week. Can't recommend them enough. Like the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

#4555212 - 02/07/21 02:20 PM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by oldgrognard

Are any of you using a tv box ?

Yup, but the speed of the digital revolution has left me with several boxes. biggrin
My internet provider reacently changed my TV/internet world so now I have boxes in the kitchen, 2 bedrooms and the livingroom.
So currently I have 2 Apple TV boxes and 3 Android boxes.
Not that I need them all, but I like gadgets and bought the Apple boxes at a time when my provider wasn`t on par with the speed of what was happening.

OG, when I read your post I downloaded a speed test app and got 240Mbps down and 316 Mbps up. Wired I have a 700Mbps line, so the speed on the Android box is good.
Last night I watched Manchester Utd.-Everton in 4K and there were no stuttering at all.
With regards to specifications I`m not sure they are 5G, but I doubt it. I have to check that.

So to the apps.
I believe the selection of movies is different from the US. Depending on international rights.
Almost new movies are available , but they are payware.
Netflix movies are available, but contents other than what are Netflix` own productions are several months old.
I have a Surfshark VPN License which I can use if I want to change the region, but until now I haven`t used it.
How is the Netflix contents in the US?
Also I am not sure which apps you use to watch older movies and shows.

On the negative side we have to buy several apps to watch sport events as they have been spread with reagrds to what sport you want to watch.

Last edited by Wigean; 02/07/21 02:22 PM.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4555215 - 02/07/21 03:03 PM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
KRT_Bong Offline
It's KRT not Kurt
KRT_Bong  Offline
It's KRT not Kurt

Sarasota, Florida
There is on smart TV in a pub I frequent, they have WiFi but for months it hasn't had an Internet connection strong enough to use so my phone always connects to the TV when I walk in. Most of the time when a female is working behind the bar they don't set a channel and it will have some infomercial running so I found I could cast to the TV with my phone anything from pictures to YouTube videos or Netflix, No sound but at least it's not Emeril selling frying pans.

Windows 10 Pro
Gigabyte 970A DS3P FX
AMD FX6300 Vishera 3.5 Ghz
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 970 Overclocked 4 GB DDR5
16Gb Patriot Viper 3 RAM DDR3 1866Mhz
Onikuma Gaming Headset (has annoying blue lights I don't use)
#4555220 - 02/07/21 03:27 PM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Wigwam, that is some very fast speed. I have considered trying Ethernet. My first try would be the plug-in type that use home wiring. Next would to be snake a cable through the attic and down the inside of the wall in the tv room.

I’m using Cinema, Bee, and Dream TV. Cinema is my start app since I generally have success with it. Everything I use is free.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4555221 - 02/07/21 03:50 PM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Wigwam, that is some very fast speed. I have considered trying Ethernet. My first try would be the plug-in type that use home wiring. Next would to be snake a cable through the attic and down the inside of the wall in the tv room.

I’m using Cinema, Bee, and Dream TV. Cinema is my start app since I generally have success with it. Everything I use is free.

I am very happy with the speed.
I use Ethernet in the livingroom, but I am not sure if I have to. I had a free port on my router so I use it.
One of my daughters is living here for the moment so I use it in case she is puttin too much load on my WiFi.

Those apps are available here as well. Some with commercials. I have to check them out.

Hehe, Wigwam. biggrin

cheers

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4555222 - 02/07/21 04:00 PM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
I need to check after I type. Autocorrect keeps substituting other words it know for Wigean. And it just tried again.

Yes, there are commercials between shows, but not during. I can live with that.

#4555229 - 02/07/21 04:32 PM Re: Android tv box [Re: oldgrognard]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
I need to check after I type. Autocorrect keeps substituting other words it know for Wigean. And it just tried again.

Yes, there are commercials between shows, but not during. I can live with that.

Agreed, commercials between shows are ok.

I don`t mind the Autocorrect.
Just waiting for the next one. smile

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.