Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
#4554116 - 01/29/21 04:04 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by DBond
Hope you didn't pull Hart Wango Tango, Had his best game of the season last night. Looked sharp, turning away 32 shots for a .971.

The Devlis outplayed the Flyers for stretches, doubling them up on shots. But the Flyers won 73% of the faceoffs. I can't recall seeing that high a disparity. Winning all those defensive zone faceoffs was massive, especially on the penalty kill. That, combined with Hart's good play won the game. Plus Giroux finally scored. That's two more wins on the road against a divisional foe and that's what the Fly boys need to do.

Nope, I dressed him last night thumbsup

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4555105 - 02/06/21 03:15 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sorry WT, nice move.

Hard to keep this thread afloat smile

Boston seems to have the Flyers number, and I will be happy to see the the back of them. At 7-3-2 the Flyers sit in second place in the East. Concerned about the goal difference at just +2, which suggests close wins and bad losses. They've played well over all, but it's a fine line. Most importantly, they have a six-point gap to fifth-placed Devils, who do have three games in hand. Pens are treading water and long may it last.

A few random observations from around the league....

The Greafs Leafs are sitting pretty, top of the North at 8-2-1 (+8). Les Habs too, at 7-2-2 (+16), who are the highest-scoring team in the league. I predicted a good season for the Oilers, and they didn't get off to a good start, but have won three straight to get back to .500.

The Central is hard to decipher, with the Stars' situation affecting the schedule and a big disparity in games played so far (some of this in the West too). The Lightning are where we expect, on top. But the Panthers have yet to lose in regulation.

It's been a great start to the season, and I'm just happy we have hockey.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4555127 - 02/06/21 08:06 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

The Habs are looking pretty strong. Between the Habs and Leafs, goaltending ie Carey Price, I think will give them the edge barring major injuries.

#4555138 - 02/06/21 09:08 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WolverineFW]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by WolverineFW
The Habs are looking pretty strong. Between the Habs and Leafs, goaltending ie Carey Price, I think will give them the edge barring major injuries.

Freddie Anderson is 39th in GAA at 3.01, 48th in SAV% at .888. The Leafs need to score 4 plus goals to win games. They are going nowhere with goaltending like that.

#4555143 - 02/06/21 09:27 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, those numbers won't cut it at this level, although that GAA isn't bad. I thought he was out with injury?

Hart's 3.42 and .898, and now has back spasms.

#4555540 - 02/10/21 02:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Flyers put 7 past the Caps a couple days ago, rebounding from back to back one-goal losses to Boston. And now they are shut down for Covid.

But what I really wanted to mention is the Pens hiring Hexy as GM!

His record was spotty for the Flyers in that role. I'm a huge Hextall fan, I absolutely loved him as a player, but not so much as an exec. If you are a fan of ANY other team, you probably hate him. But man he was fun back in the day. And he was good too. He should have won his second Vezina in 1996, when Carey won it. Hextall's numbers were better. But it was his fire that made him so loved by Flyers' fans. Yeah, maybe he was out of control a bit. But I loved it.

It's like Tie Domi. Man I despise that guy. But Leafs fans adore him, I guess?

The worst part about this hire is Hexy going to the hated Pens, our fiercest rival. I hope he does a horrible job there. The Pens golden age is coming to an end, with Malkin, Cryin' Sid and Letang all getting in to their mid-30s. It will be Hextall's job to rebuild that roster, and it's a tall order indeed.

If the Pens don't start winning, then is it possible that those guys get moved? Like wouldn't Colorado jump all over Crosby if he were available?

#4555553 - 02/10/21 04:47 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Pens hired Brian Burke as well. Hextall left some good pieces in Philly before he was fired. Some of that young talent is thanks to him.
It will take awhile to rebuild the Pens. They traded away their 1st,3rd,4th and 6th round picks this year.
Crosby's childhood favorite team was Montreal. I see Crosby coming to Canada if he is traded.

As for Cryin' Sid ... yes when he came into the league as an 18 year old, his first couple of seasons he whined a lot, threw his head back dramatically when hit.
BUT, after than he has been nothing but professional. Nobody, I mean nobody gets the abuse on the ice Crosby does down low. The constant crosschecks. Gretzky did not have to endure a fraction of what Crosby does.

#4555613 - 02/11/21 01:49 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

My old hockey coach I had one year played in the Canadian Junior League with the Brandon Wheat Kings. Hextall was their goalie. He apparently was even more of a hothead in junior than the NHL. He had is own dressing room so when he freaked out nobody else got in the line of fire.

#4555616 - 02/11/21 03:00 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Cryin' Sid crack is just banter. Amazing player and don't think I haven't watched him light up the Flyers for the past 15 years. He's the best player on our biggest rival and has been for a long time. Same with Domi too, well not the lighting the lamp part, but I need my hockey villains. Back to the banter smile

Hexy as GM. His best work was in the draft. He especially hit at the top, with players like Konecny, Provorov, Nolan Patrick and Hart. In the free agent market and trades he had some missteps. JVR is making me eat my words now, but until this season I think we were overpaying him. If he keeps on this pace for a couple more seasons it will look good in the long run, but that's a big if. His trades were mostly about clearing cap space, which is valuable, but an impact move here or there would have been nice too.. He got a team-friendly deal with Couturier. Selke-quality centers are gold in this league. The Vorackek deal maybe not so good at this point, with a cap hit over 8m. I like Voracek, but he's underperformed his contract I'd say.

Building through the draft is the way to go and he did a good job there. Probably why the Pens gave him the reigns. I know what goes on with the Flyers, but I wonder at the same time I'm praising Hexy's drafts, how they compare to any other GM through his tenure. Sorting out the best junior hockey talent is easier than say baseball, or even football. I reckon most GMs hit a good player with the first couple of picks in any draft. Hart was the 48th pick, to Hexy's credit.

If he follows the same MO in Pittsburgh, I'd say the big names are on the move if they are looking up at a playoff position a month from now. He'll stockpile picks, clear cap space and start over.

#4555750 - 02/12/21 01:44 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Ah, hockey talk. Good to see some interest in the fine sport. I think the NHL , and the individual teams themselves, have done a great job of putting the product out there. It isn't the same as with the crowds, but I'll take it. I kind of like the new division set ups. The all Canadien one is great. Glad to see the Leafs and Habs fighting for top spot. I was getting tired of hearing about the #%&*$# Tkachuk boys all the time.

It looks like the Sens are actually competing for last place with my Dead Wings. I will say one thing about the Sens organization, at least they try to make changes when things aren't working out. The Wings are in their sixth season of the Jeff Blashill experience. It has been an abject failure from the start. I thought for sure Yzerman would get rid of him. All they talk about is how great he is at developing young players. That's what the minor leagues are for. At the prices they charge to see a game (or a subscription to watch at home), they need to put a NHL team on the ice. Then they go out and give a long term, multi million dollar contract to Anthony Mantha. He will be just another in the long lines of bad contract deals that will never produce any results. I treated myself to NHL Center Ice so I could watch actual NHL hockey. Oh well, I just had to rant about the Wings.

#4555805 - 02/12/21 01:43 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Welcome back man smile

Yeah, we have a Wings fan and a Sens fan here, and while it's not a good time right now for either, things will only get better. Being at the bottom sucks, but it gives a team the tools to rise again, provided the GM isn't a moron, and the drafts have generational talent available. Look at the Leafs right now. Best team in the league so far. They hit it big on Matthews and Marner and adding a few key pieces through free agency and really turned it around. I know Wango Tango doesn't rate the GM, but from outside looking in the moves they've made look to have paid off. I know the team is cap heavy at the top, and a long term injury to one of those guys, or covid isolation could derail them. Andersen's a UFA next year, but Matthews, Marner and Tavares are all locked up through at least 2025.

#4555838 - 02/12/21 05:49 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think the success of the Leafs will once again be measured by how far they go in the playoffs. Matthews and Marner can sure get the fans out of their seats with their talent, but it sure seems to shrivel up once the playoffs start. I'm not a big fan of their GM either, but we will see if his moves this year pan out.

What do you guys think of the "synthetic" fan noise some teams have been using during their television broadcast?. I'm not a big fan of it. Some teams audio is worse than others. It seems too loud or doesn't match the play of the game.

I don't think the new high tech pucks are working out. Watching games lately, they seem to be way too bouncing. Players look like they can get it to just settle down. I watched the Bruins/Rangers game the other night and it was really noticeable. I can't believe they cost $45 a puck. I wonder if they let the fans keep them when they go into the stands.

#4555852 - 02/12/21 06:44 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't mind it generally, the artificial crowd noise. Like you said it seems to be of varying quality and suitability. I do like also hearing the players communicate, which is unique perspective and insight not possible with vocal crowds.

I watch a lot of English soccer, and there they have it too, with even songs being sung as if from the terraces. Meh, I like both ways. Nothing beats a real, pumped crowd. But until that returns I'm OK with the interim solutions, both artificial and none at all. At first it was strange, but I quickly adapted. Every change is odd at first, I mean look now at footage from the 70s and 80s with no advertising on the boards. Remember what we all thought when we saw our first ad. Now it's far more alien without them.

About the tech pucks.... Early in the season I suspected something wasn't right with them. It looked like they lacked some slippery, but I couldn't tell if was the ice or the puck. I just guessed it was the ice surface. But the NHL stopped using them three weeks ago. Are they back? Not sure if they are/were more bouncy, I'd put that down to the ice usually. I think the NHL dropped them temporarily because they weren't sliding properly? Same pucks used in last season's playoff, I thought. But maybe they changed something in the manufacturing process for this year. As far as I know these pucks are still out of play.

#4555863 - 02/12/21 07:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Welcome back man smile

Yeah, we have a Wings fan and a Sens fan here, and while it's not a good time right now for either, things will only get better. Being at the bottom sucks, but it gives a team the tools to rise again, provided the GM isn't a moron, and the drafts have generational talent available. Look at the Leafs right now. Best team in the league so far. They hit it big on Matthews and Marner and adding a few key pieces through free agency and really turned it around. I know Wango Tango doesn't rate the GM, but from outside looking in the moves they've made look to have paid off. I know the team is cap heavy at the top, and a long term injury to one of those guys, or covid isolation could derail them. Andersen's a UFA next year, but Matthews, Marner and Tavares are all locked up through at least 2025.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly were all drafted before Dubas was GM. Freddie Anderson was a Lou trade. Dubas did manage to get Tavares to come to Toronto though, although I don't think he did that on his own, Shanahan and Babcock were involved, Matthews and Marner too.
Simmonds, Spezza and Thornton look like good moves, but you are talking league minimum one year deals, Ontario boys wanting to come home, nothing ground shaking. His Kadri trade turned into Kerfoot, I'd rather have Kadri. It will be interesting to see how he handles the goaltending with Freddie contract up at the end of the year.
Dubas has yet to make a big boy move on his own that has succeeded. Only signing Matthews for 5 years was a mistake IMO. There is a clause that he cannot be traded in the last year of the deal. Should have signed him for 8. He is American and will probably of had his fill of the Toronto media overkill by then. If I was GM, I would trade him before the last year begins, or preferably extend him. No way you let that contract expire.
They may be 1st place right now, but I've watched every minute. They are still inconsistent period to period. Their high octane first 2 lines are why they win games.

#4555871 - 02/12/21 08:12 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good insight WT, thanks.

#4555885 - 02/12/21 10:17 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Good insight WT, thanks.

No problem, love talking hockey.
I always thought it would be cool to have a SimHQ Yahoo fantasy league. I don't know if we have 12 fans here though.

#4556291 - 02/16/21 02:46 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Shut up KK.

#4556329 - 02/16/21 02:11 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Shut up KK.

Ugh?

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4556330 - 02/16/21 02:21 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I didn't see the game but that must have been entertaining. Good win for the Sens.

#4556336 - 02/16/21 03:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Originally Posted by WangoTango
Shut up KK.

Ugh?

Preemptive strike. biggrin

Being a Leafs fan, year after year........

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.