Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4555032 - 02/05/21 09:24 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by Wigean

Started to fly in 1975.Then I worked my way as a copilot, instructor, captain, training captain, chief pilot and flight operation manager.
Most hours on jets. The last on Boeing 737/4-5-6-7-800.

I can't say that I ever knew you were an airline pilot, even going back to our days moderating over at Frug's. So it's plain you wished not to highlight your credentials, which is admirable, I must say. Did we know at Frugs you were a pilot? Were you and BBall swapping tales and I missed it, or had forgotten after all this time?

I'll also say that if I were a professional pilot I'd probably draw the same conclusions about this video. When it's your profession, and if you are professional, it's probably painful to see something like this video. It's a great watch, but cringeworthy I reckon for someone who does this for a living.

I don`t remember if we talked about my job at that time. I`ve always been in for my interest in flying. We had a really good time with someone shooting down Migs with Harms,, or reading the stories with what what you guys did online. Good times. I know there was some norwegian ATC guys that were members at Frugs and I did some PMs with them. I remember once that we had a discussion about "free speed" terminology once. You may know that there is a 250 kts speed limit below FL 100. Also there are speed limits on a departure or a arrival route.
When I called up the "delivery" frequence the day after to get our clerance the ATC controller ended it with "free speed". This happened after every frequency change on that flight,also on ground frq. Even over swedish territory. So that required a lot of coordinating. My captain didn`t understand what was going on, but he had a good laugh when I told him.
Yes I talked with BBall several times on PM. As a matter of fact my nick is a result of him misspelling my nick at the time that was "Norwegian". I used that name in the early Frugal days because coming from Scandinavia wasn`t that common. I remember I discussed with him that I planned to write a book of colleges that had tried to kill me. biggrin
Yeah I have some stories. smile

You are right, it was painful to watch that video.
When you are used to do careful planning on every take off it `s just plain wrong.
Even in Russia you have to do this.
You have to do a balanced field calculation that meets the requirements of the actual runway and the terrain surrounding the airport.
You have to calculate a V1 speed ( a descission speed ) so you know that you can stop on the remaing runway or continue the take off if you lose an engine or have another critical condition.
With the condition in this video this would be impossible because there is no graph when conditions are so far from the limitations of the aircraft.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4555036 - 02/05/21 09:41 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Them was the days. Cheer Wigean, and I like hearing the story about how you nick came to be.

Norwigean? biggrin

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4555039 - 02/05/21 10:33 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
biggrin
Actually, he accidently used some sort of texan slang(?) and called me `Wigean.
I later stopped using Norwegian because another airline surfaced that used that name. Which I hated of course. smile
The mods here were kind enough and changed it on my request.

OG has titulated me Widgeon a couple of times in the past, which is not so bad as it is in some ways related to flight.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4555049 - 02/06/21 12:05 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Great insight from the Norwegian Widgeon Wigean...I hope I got that right. winkngrin

Not sure why F4U went off, he's usually a fairly level headed guy. One must remember that this is an internet board, where most girls are guys, most heroes are pansies, and many experts are totally full of crap. Darn, almost sounds like a new government agency. yep

I have to defer to semmern; pretty sure he's a Norwegian Widgeon Wigean, has been hanging around here for a few weeks or so, and from his few vids I have seen, a darned decent pilot.

He also has been flying the 737 class, so maybe you two should talk and clear this up for all of us.

In my line of work we called boat drivers in the oilfield like that pilot, "Oilfield Heroes". They were the ones that hurt the most people.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4555050 - 02/06/21 12:09 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Wigean, I never meant it demeaning. I think it happened with autocorrect, but can’t be sure.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4555055 - 02/06/21 12:26 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Nixer]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
Originally Posted by Nixer
Great insight from the Norwegian Widgeon Wigean...I hope I got that right. winkngrin

Not sure why F4U went off, he's usually a fairly level headed guy. One must remember that this is an internet board, where most girls are guys, most heroes are pansies, and many experts are totally full of crap. Darn, almost sounds like a new government agency. yep

I have to defer to semmern; pretty sure he's a Norwegian Widgeon Wigean, has been hanging around here for a few weeks or so, and from his few vids I have seen, a darned decent pilot.

He also has been flying the 737 class, so maybe you two should talk and clear this up for all of us.

In my line of work we called boat drivers in the oilfield like that pilot, "Oilfield Heroes". They were the ones that hurt the most people.

Close enough Nixer. smile

You are right about the internet. Strange place. That is why I asked the mods to may be lift the ban of F4U. Allthough I feel he was unfair.

I have PM`ed with semmern. He works in my old airline , but he sadly were laid off after New Year I believe. Have not been talking with him since. If he reads this may be he can give us an update.

I share your opinion about semmern. I am impressed with what he does, both with old and new aircrafts. I really hope everything works out for him.

I see him in other forums where he does not know who I am, and we share many views with regards to aviation. biggrin

"Oilfield Heroes", hope you stay away from them Nixer.

#4555056 - 02/06/21 12:32 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: oldgrognard]  
Wigean Online content
Wigean  Online Content

Oslo
Originally Posted by oldgrognard
Wigean, I never meant it demeaning. I think it happened with autocorrect, but can’t be sure.

No worries OG.

I googled it and learned something new. smile

#4555083 - 02/06/21 07:22 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Yep, lost my job due to the bug, along with almost 600 others. We do have a five-year right of return, so I will be back once things pick up, whenever that might be. It’s not a nice feeling to be laid off, though!

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4555090 - 02/06/21 09:41 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: semmern]  
Fungezap Offline
Fungezap  Offline

Atlanta
Originally Posted by semmern
The thing is, even in Russia, with that kind of contamination on what I am hard pressed to even call a runway, you are a test pilot the moment you set the power with the intention to take off, because no performance calculations exist for that sort of conditions. Knowing that you don’t know for certain if you will be able to take off at all, and still going for it, that’s the stupid part of it all. You can be a skilled stick and rudder pilot, but in that situation you are still leaving your immediate future in the hands of Fate, and that’s simply not how one goes about committing an act of aviation.

Quite a few flying clips make it to the papers, especially hairy crosswind landings. Düsseldorf and Manchester seem to be repeat offenders in the papers here in Europe. The worst landings always get the most «WOW what an insanely skilled pilot» type of comments, which just goes to show that spectacular and dramatic isn’t really a good thing in commercial aviation.

That resonates with me as a former air traffic controller. The really skilled ones make it look easy - the “wild rides” are the work of the finger crossing few. Good decision-making keeps you from ever falling back on pure luck.

#4555114 - 02/06/21 05:36 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by Fungezap

That resonates with me as a former air traffic controller. The really skilled ones make it look easy - the “wild rides” are the work of the finger crossing few. Good decision-making keeps you from ever falling back on pure luck.

Yep, my point exactly. Luck should never enter into the equation in aviation. As a Swedish skiing champion once said when a journalist said he was lucky to have won: «I have found that the more I train, the luckier I get.»

It is clear to me that the pilot of the Antonov in the video had no idea whether he would make it off. He used every inch of that runway, and even then the curvature of the Earth just barely fell away beneath him wink

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4555302 - 02/08/21 12:32 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Only 1 in the world, first flight in 1988, and it's still flying.

That's a big beast!

#4555307 - 02/08/21 12:42 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Welcome back NFB biggrin

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4555308 - 02/08/21 12:45 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
Welcome back NFB biggrin

He didn't even wait for the paint to dry from his parole. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 02/08/21 12:45 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4555311 - 02/08/21 12:48 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

My release date was last Friday morning, I didn't come back right away. Busy bee elsewhere.

#4555317 - 02/08/21 01:02 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
BUFF Offline
Hotshot
BUFF  Offline
Hotshot

Glasgow, Scotland
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy
Only 1 in the world, first flight in 1988, and it's still flying.

That's a big beast!

went to watch it locally last year. It taxied past a Cargolux 747 - yup, not small wink

"Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder"

www.CombatACE.com SF P1/WOV/WOE/First Eagles flunky

abit forums
#4555319 - 02/08/21 01:04 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
They should just call it "The Flying Hotel".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4555424 - 02/09/21 09:39 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
I recall a tale of my parents' trips to soviet Russia in the 1970's, via Intourist, travel to rthe USSR still being a rarity then.
An internal Aeroflot flight, Moscow to Odessa I think. One of the 4 prop engines wouldn't start. A geezer with cigarette dangling climbed some rolling steps, hit the offending engine with a hammer and the thing fired up.
My mother witnessed this, my father was otherwise occupied with his seat seemingly not affixed to the floor.

#4555434 - 02/09/21 11:40 AM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: BD-123]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by BD-123
A geezer with cigarette dangling climbed some rolling steps, hit the offending engine with a hammer and the thing fired up.

"This is how we did it at Stalingrad so we could beat those suka Hun".

#4555438 - 02/09/21 12:03 PM Re: In this case, flying’s not for me [Re: Fungezap]  
semmern Online content
Veteran
semmern  Online Content
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Reminds me of the little stone we keep in the built-in step on the starboard side of the forward fuselage on the Tiger Moths. It occasionally comes out when the impulse magneto needs a knock when the impulse coupling hangs up. I make a point of showing it to my poor passengers copter

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.