Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4554909 - 02/04/21 08:52 PM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

Yes Robert, : biggrin

@Asam,

no Flightsim is perfect.
I have bought ROF and was .. disappointed.
A good FM, a very good visual DM, good textures / graphic with good FPS, a MP-Box,
and ... THAT WAS IT!
An unfinished game (or sim?) in my opinion.
Or as @OrbxP has written "You’re comparing apples to oranges... .RoF and FC is a multiplayer sim for instant action... ".

But it seems, you like ROF. That's absolutely okay!! But if so, why do you look at WOFF? What do you miss? Please think about it … .

And @Craighorn and other members have told you some details about the engine-management in WOFF. I have the impression, that it is more than you have known! Is it possible that you underestimate the FM / EM in WOFF a little bit and that you see your priority "engine Management" a little bit too seriously? And you don't change anything, if you repeat it (and repeat it....). At the end you must know this: your priorities!

IMHO WOFF is the TOP-WW1-Flightsim in present time for a singleplayer, with the will to high quality and historical closeness. I fly it again and again, I come back to it again and again. I know why (compliment OBD-Team!) and it's like a great addiction popcorn !

I hope that the WOFF-features correspond to your priorities and that you will make your decision for WOFF then!

Greetings

Last edited by Becker01; 02/05/21 06:58 AM.
#4554911 - 02/04/21 09:44 PM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
If you want to fly a WW1 plane buy RoF if you want to fly a plane in WW1 buy WOFF. For me WOFF out shines ROF ten fold. As a solo experience WOFF is superb, finally knocking Red Baron of the no1 list. Also WW1 planes aren't as complex as WW2 to present day so this in depth engine management and complex systems etc aren't missed so much compared to later era planes. The more advanced the plane the more complex it's systems become and the bigger part they play in a simulator and the more they'd be missed if not included. WW1 planes can get away with it, as long as the flight model is good then it's the environment that becomes the major player and WOFF nails this like no other.

Last edited by Wodin; 02/04/21 09:54 PM.
#4554917 - 02/04/21 11:39 PM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Knowing absolutely nothing about it, I am guessing that modding the engine management requires access to the source code, otherwise someone would have done it already?

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4554920 - 02/04/21 11:56 PM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
Asam71 Offline
Asam71  Offline

Valladolid
How ??? Woff doesn't have a button assigned to scratch his ass ???
I suggest that the pilot scratch it with his left hand so that he can operate the radiator with his right. Jajjjj.
Greetings.

#4554937 - 02/05/21 04:50 AM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
rtoolooze262 Offline
rtoolooze262  Offline

Mo. USA
My 2 cents?
WOFF for me is so immersive and I've had some incredible moments I won't forget. For a single player campaign its second to none, (altho Falcon 4 BMS campaign stands right there with it) and is just incredible! I have ROF and while its a pretty sim with a decent FM, I just don't ever play it. The world seems sterile with not a whole lot to do. A multiplayer sim. But thats just my opinion. To each his own.

Thanks OBD for the good memories. Here's to many more!

#4554943 - 02/05/21 08:56 AM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Wodin]  
Albert Tross Offline
Flight Sim Nut
Albert Tross  Offline
Flight Sim Nut

UK
Originally Posted by Wodin
If you want to fly a WW1 plane buy RoF if you want to fly a plane in WW1 buy WOFF.

Excellently put Wodin, you've summed it up perfectly. WOFF is much more about what's going on around you as much as your aircraft itself. The WOFF world is huge but busy, things are happening, aircraft flying, motor convoys moving, factory's working, actual trench lines who'll kill you if you fly too low over them, artillery pounding and balloons and archie all over the place. It's a living breathing world. Rise of Flight isn't, it's a few aircraft set on preset flight paths flying round and round in circles, perhaps a couple of balloons with archie nearby. Pretend artillery near the front and a few airfields scattered around, but the whole thing was not realistic. Yes the aircraft were very pretty and nicely modelled and yes they had engine management, but that was it. WOFF feels like I'm flying in a war zone. Then factor in the 80 odd aircraft I can fly with good flight characteristics and accurate rates of fire and you've got one hell of game.

For me WOFF out shines ROF ten fold. As a solo experience WOFF is superb, finally knocking Red Baron of the no1 list.

You've hit the nail on the head with that one Wodin. High praise indeed and rightly so. No other WW1 game has been able to create the atmosphere and tension that Red Baron had back in the day until WOFF.

"A great deal of an aeroplane could be holed without affecting its ability to fly. Wings and fuselage could be—and often were—pierced in 50 places, missing the occupants by inches (blissfully unaware of how close it had come until they returned to base). Then the sailmaker would carefully cover each hole with a square inch of Irish linen frayed at the edges and with a brushful of dope make our aircraft 'serviceable' again within an hour."
#4554947 - 02/05/21 10:08 AM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Albert Tross]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Originally Posted by Albert Tross
If you want to fly a WW1 plane buy RoF if you want to fly a plane in WW1 buy WOFF.

Excellently put Wodin, you've summed it up perfectly. WOFF is much more about what's going on around you as much as your aircraft itself. The WOFF world is huge but busy, things are happening, aircraft flying, motor convoys moving, factory's working, actual trench lines who'll kill you if you fly too low over them, artillery pounding and balloons and archie all over the place. It's a living breathing world. Rise of Flight isn't, it's a few aircraft set on preset flight paths flying round and round in circles, perhaps a couple of balloons with archie nearby. Pretend artillery near the front and a few airfields scattered around, but the whole thing was not realistic. Yes the aircraft were very pretty and nicely modelled and yes they had engine management, but that was it. WOFF feels like I'm flying in a war zone. Then factor in the 80 odd aircraft I can fly with good flight characteristics and accurate rates of fire and you've got one hell of game.

For me WOFF out shines ROF ten fold. As a solo experience WOFF is superb, finally knocking Red Baron of the no1 list.

You've hit the nail on the head with that one Wodin. High praise indeed and rightly so. No other WW1 game has been able to create the atmosphere and tension that Red Baron had back in the day until WOFF.

#4554948 - 02/05/21 10:20 AM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
orbyxP Offline
orbyxP  Offline

Washington State
Complex engine management might not appeal to everyone, so I can understand omission of some of it. I still feel that WOFF can do better in some of it’s missions. Currently, to complete either arty spotting or photo recon all you need to do is fly in circles for about 20 minutes. Fleshing this part out somehow would make a bomber career have more variety. Also, I would like to see the after effects of missions last a bit longer. So that it does feel like missions are connected when you start in your plane the next day you can see wreakge, or smoking damaged airfield buildings or large potholes from the bombs on airfields, etc just something to show the outcome of a previous day’s work would add greatly to the continuity of missions.

#4555062 - 02/06/21 01:17 AM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
gecko Offline
gecko  Offline

Just to leave my forum stalking hideout and chime in here, as someone who has worked a lot on adding complex engine management and systems modeling to regular CFS3, I will say that building those things from scratch takes a LONG time. It has taken me over two years to do this for just one aircraft - the Spitfire, which by WWII standards is not terribly complex. So obviously I'm a huge fan of having complex systems modeled for the aircraft I fly and would absolutely love to see that in WOFF/WOTR, but I also know that it would be an absolutely massive undertaking for OBD. Even though the WWI aircraft are much less complex than doing a WWII aircraft up to the same standard, they would still be dealing with all of the same obstacles that I have in implementing it, in addition to having to build the whole thing from scratch. If OBD wants to do it, I'm all for it, but I wouldn't be expecting it any time soon even if they started today! Meanwhile they've been changing and improving things I never imagined were possible.

On a related note, the reason I put so much work into building my own complex systems in CFS3 when I could just fly an existing sim that already has it modeled, and the reason I prefer WOFF to any WWI sim on the market by a wide margin even though the systems are much more basic are the same. The newer, more complex sims have a lot of cool detail, but they ring pretty hollow under the surface. They are built for the mass multiplayer market and it shows in the lack of effort they put into making you feel like you are immersed in anything bigger than this evening's dogfight. Don't get me wrong, that can be a lot of fun, but it doesn't keep me coming back. And if you do your research, you'll find that a lot of the snazzy little details in the other sims aren't actually how the real thing worked anyways! Of course if OBD could manage to deliver both sides of this equation, WOFF would be the unquestioned king of flight sims, but there are good reasons why even much bigger design studios haven't tackled that one yet!

#4555132 - 02/06/21 08:37 PM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Good Strong points of analysis Gecko. Thanks for stating what I couldn't!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4555140 - 02/06/21 09:14 PM Re: Nothing to do with Movie thread [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Can’t really add a great deal to what’s already been posted, OBD,S sims are the only ones that constantly stay on my Drive, ROF and others sometimes get reinstalled, I fly a bit then after a few flights I realise why I uninstalled them previously.

WOFF gives me something that many other sims don’t..immersion, immersion in bucketloads coupled with fantastic Ai, and a living breathing world, I fell in love with OBD wayyy back with P2 and I’ve been with them ever since, were all ( mostly) one big happy family here, great Dev correspondence and support, fantastic modders who strive to make the sim better and better. OBD,s sims also got me into reading excellent books like No Parachute, Open Cockpit, Sagittarius rising amongst many others that I never would have read previously to flying their sims.

Wodins post above pretty much nails it,and I for one cannot wait until BHAH II is released ( Give us a date Pol so I can get the time off work winkngrin )

Take care all, see you in the skies soon

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM