Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 605 of 608 1 2 603 604 605 606 607 608
#4554742 - 02/03/21 05:55 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Glad to see you guys are keeping the thread going. I did peek in here a few times but really have little to report.
No news from Roger or his family. But I do hope the best for them all.

Finally got to read about the Microprose B-17. Wow! Wonder how tough it would be to get nine more guys, or ladies, together to man one of those aircraft in a Microprose session?
I do remember a walkthrough an B-29 and have probably seen a cutout of a B-17 cockpit.
It is hard to imagine the amount of clothes necessary to stay warm working a real airplane at higher altitudes.

Congratulations on the twenty-plus years here, Old Dux!
Jens, another six weeks and you'll be building those leg muscles in more pleasant temperatures.
I do want to thank you guys along with all the others for contributing so much to the site.

Meanwhile I'll try to avoid crowded areas. You guys stay safe, please?

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4555857 - 02/12/21 07:11 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps,

I sent a couple of emails to that address you sent to my PM but received no reply. I, too, hope all is well with Rog or as well as can be expected in the circumstances.

I've had prolonged internet access problems for a few months but finally got it solved today when a techniician found the cause right at the top of a telegraph pole. Wire corrosion!

Freezing weather persists around here but at least we have clear blue skies every day.

Yes, it would be great to get a B17 crew together. I'm sure Roger and Jens would be up for that. It might even draw in some of our old forum buddies from way back.

SNAFU! Are you receiving me...over! wave

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4556923 - 02/20/21 06:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Just checking in and glad to see we are still around here.

The area survived temperatures of minus 2 degrees F.
One could almost say barely considering the lack of state and local government preparation.

The water bill will be expensive this month,very expensive.
That's due to having to let the faucets drip overnight to prevent freezing.
Homes in this area are not insulated as well as they are up North.
Consider myself lucky since only lost power for short durations.

But that's preferred to busted water pipes and the hell that others have gone through with flooded homes and ruined roofs, ceilings and power losses others have experienced. That includes other utilities like gas and water.
My heart goes out to them and hopefully we can help a bit.

Know that some will not be able to go home for a month.
That's how far ahead plumbers and other helpers are scheduling repairs.

Things are looking up, the snow is melting and the grass is peeping through; well, the weeds can be seen anyway, grin.

Any thoughts of looking at VR, computers or simulators have been replaced by thoughts of grocery lists.

But we're alive, little damaged and looking forward to temperatures above freezing. Hope everyone else is also.

#4557043 - 02/21/21 09:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Adding my two cents to the recent deluge of activity, after a period of very wintry weather with snow and temperatures down to - 20 C / - 4 F in certain parts of the country - not quite as cold where I live, but still we were in the two digits zone, it seems like spring might suddenly be pressing to announce its imminent arrival. + 5 C / 41 F yesterday felt positively warm and I ventured on a ride. We might get 8 C today, Sunday, another ride in the offering perhaps?, and possibly 10 C later in the week. Thank goodness, be gone winter, spring can't come soon enough.

I'm saddened to learn of the negative consequences of the severe cold in the US and the power shortages in certain States. I wonder why they can't seem to manage to get a continuous supply of power flowing. Nudge, nudge.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4557683 - 02/25/21 02:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

It almost seems silly now to complain about minus two degrees F when two days later the temperature reached 81 degrees.
But the broken pipe and other infrastructure problems are real.
Just found out her son's apartment complex had been without water for six days. That's a long time to be ferrying water up a flight of stairs and having to shower at a friend's house. (They got water back yesterday.)

I read that plumbers have appointments running a month long and supplies to fix pipes and broken walls and floors at warehouses are at a premium, if at all available.
A victim of just-in-time resupplying? Doubt it.
Automobile plants are also running out of electronic chips and a shortage of steel.

Yes ,Sir. The weather problems are not just local. We were and are just unprepared here.

But I do hear Spring calling, and the abundance of green in my lawn tells me the weeds are winning.

But overall, the best part, is knowing you guys are doing OK. We will make it through it.

#4562330 - 04/03/21 08:03 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Time flies and suddenly we find ourselves in the first week of Daylight Summer Time regime. The hours of daylight are noticabely increasing yet it is far from summer. I'm wondering if I would even use the term "springlike". Today is forecasted to be sunny and temperatures at 50 F. Too windy for a bike ride but I might go for a walk before settling down with a book. Hope everyone is keeping well.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4562387 - 04/03/21 09:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Wednesday was a summery 67f around these parts but today the wind chill sits around the mid thirties!

By the way... if you have a few quid to spare, a fundraising campaign has begun to find a permanent rest-home for the last airworthy Avro Vulcan XH 558 which made its final flight in October 2015.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4562814 - 04/06/21 07:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all:

I am arriving late to the parade and can only agree with you both on the weather conditions.
The only addition is that it is probably warmer here.
No major damage noted here to the facilities, other than all the front bushes seem to be casualties of the temperature plunge.
I will have to plan on more work than expected.
There seems to be a shortage of plumbing repair parts in the area.

Got around to watching the You-Tube videos of that beautiful Vulcan's last trip.
I did divert myself to other airplane videos and noon sounded before I finally tore myself away.

But Spring is in the air and soon it may be too hot if the work is put off.

#4566141 - 04/26/21 07:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Incredible to think that the Vulcan's predecessor on Avro's design table was the Lancaster. Much of the navigation and bomb aiming equipment in the Vulcan apparently also dated back to breakthroughs and innovations made during the later war years.

With the help of modern technogoly I have been able to watch a two part television special featuring lorry mechanic, TT-bike racer and tv-presenter Guy Martin following in the footsteps, or the air-wake, of Battle of Britain pilots training for air combat in a Hawker Hurricane against a Messerschmitt 109, or the Bouchon actually; the ex- spanish airforce version that was used in the 1969 movie as well as last seen in Nolan's movie Dunkerque. The training of aerial fighting manouvers reminded me straightaway of our venerable simulation and made me feel nostalgic for the hours I spent flying quick missions.. How many times have I not been turning left, turning right, climbing, diving - in my attempts to catch the 109 in the gun sight of my Spitfire or Hurricane, allowing for deflection shooting in one of those quick flight scenarios.

Guy Martin is an impish and irrepressive character. He owns a Merlin engine which he starts up on occasion. I wonder if I have become better at understanding him, or if he is speaking now with less of an accent. I suspect the latter.

April seems to turn out colder than experienced in many years. This morning actually we had sleet, and temperatures at night are still around the freezing point.

Last edited by McGonigle; 04/26/21 07:09 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4567116 - 05/04/21 08:23 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Chaps,

I saw that excellent programme with Guy Martin who finally found himself flying the unique two-seater Hurricane!

Never know what he will get up to next. It wouldn't be a great surprise to see him take the Lanc over Ladybower Dam in the not-too-distant future!

He has taxied a Vulcan, had a go at piloting the Spit and Hurricane and nearly broken his neck in several high speed appearances.

Possible appearance on the deck of the Golden Hind in a re-enactment of circumnavigating the globe no less?

Manfred von Richtofen

#4573152 - 06/29/21 03:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hard to believe we are approaching Independence Day here and I've only checked in weekly.
But things were neglected and opossums and a couple of alligators are chasing me.

I did want to say Hello and hope things are going well.
Hmm, typing on a tablet is just not the same.

This leg is going to get well yet. Nothing serious, I think. Just abused it while in flabby conditions.

Eighty is not a good age to neglect your moving parts.

#4573625 - 07/04/21 08:09 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents, and especially our respected and dear friends in the US: Happy Independence Day!

Hope the leg is on the road to a speedy recovery, Fittop. A colleague of mine, almost half my age, fell of his bike and cut his arm quite thoroughly which just goes to prove that we are always at some risk.

Dux has contacted me regards to the state of this thread.

With our chief conversationist and catalyst; JRT missing and contact lost, we might consider the future of the HWH thread. After how many years and how many views, it had a good inning and reading Tom Neil's memoirs about the Battle itself currently, I felt that the developers of our revered simulation must have taken a good deal of inspiration from those events described. But, like the Battle, this thread seems to be exisitng primarily in the past and perhaps it is time to accept that fact and discuss if we should padlock the thread, and continue our conversations in the Community Hall or under other relevant headings.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4573627 - 07/04/21 08:19 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hi Jens,

Just replied to you PM.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4573632 - 07/04/21 08:36 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Of course......

There's still Win 11 to consider. I very much doubt that my rig from more than a decade ago wil be able to run it. I have recently been forced to install 10 because my Kindle and Kobo desktop apps no longer supportend Win 7. On the face of it, 11 seems to be somewhat easier on the eyes than 10.

I must say though, that this simulation business has been relegated to the bacburner on the disks in their boxes on the shelves for many years now. I don't seem to be able to find the time or enthusiasm for the hobby anymore. I think I'd go for a new version of the B-17 Mighty Eighth provided it contained a flyable Lanc with night missions.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4573708 - 07/05/21 01:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I’ve been negligent in posting here. I could say that I have nothing new to say, but that isn’t right. I could complain that I’ve been too busy of late but that wouldn’t be right either.

What I’m saying is … I have no excuse.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4573748 - 07/05/21 08:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I thought this would be right for a couple here. Sorry about the link. You will have to copy, paste, and search.

https://www.lightinthebox.com/en/p/21grams-men-s-short-sleeve-cycling-jersey-dark-gray-bike-top-mountain-bike-mtb-road-bike-cycling-breathable-sports-clothing-apparel-stretchy-athletic_p8477778.html?litb_from=paid_adwords_display&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google_display&adword_mt=&adword_ct=510759635506&adword_kw=&adword_pos=none&adword_pl=www.usairnet.com&adword_net=d&adword_tar=boomuserlist%3A%3A515641338&adw_src_id=7683098059_12119611382_115359314566_aud-751532783906&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2fel3OXM8QIVDhetBh3_zAp1EAEYASAAEgIS8vD_BwE

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4573853 - 07/06/21 06:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Those look nice oldgrognard. Thanks for the tip! cool

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4579011 - 09/03/21 05:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Just checking up on you guys. No news on our old friend and I have nothing intelligent to add.
But I do check in once in a while, a lot more than I post.

Under ten days with triple digit temperatures this Summer.

If I were a worry wart, I'd be thinking of how cold the winter might be, but that's for another day.
Today I will enjoy a bit of ice cream.

Y'all take care and until next week. Stay well.

#4581151 - 09/26/21 02:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Administrator
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses, things have certainly been quiet here.

Any news on Roger ?

How about everyone checking in with an update.

I have had some interesting developments. Flew from Tampa Florida to Missoula Montana and back. That is like flying from Dublin Ireland to Moscow and back. Lots of time flying in my small plane. Good adventure and a worthwhile experience for a pilot. All went pretty well. The FBOs along the way were all terrific. Good people around aviation. Wife got a bit more than she bargained for and was a bit weary for some of the return trip.

Got another car. A 2008 Bentley Continental GT Speed. Wonderful car. Only had 28,000 miles on it. Like new. Wonderful luxury with incredible performance.

So that’s what happened.

#4581173 - 09/27/21 05:01 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Hello again. Have tried to look for news on Roger, but have been unsuccessful so far.
Have even checked Obituaries in his area to no avail.
He is missed.
I do wonder if he left us sooner than I expected and that was the reason for messages going nowhere?
If that is the case, my condolences to his family and friends.
His son mentioned he was himself also recovering from medical problems.
I do hope he is all right.

That is a long haul, oldgrognard. Congratulations on a safe flight.
I understand some of that flying up north can get lonesome.
The flying visibility up there this summer was probably a bit opaque due to the smoke from the west.

My son did a cross country to the West Coast in a single engine Cesna few years ago.
I have a picture he sent me overflying the Rockies. Yes, he said. He did use oxygen.
The last time I did that single engine was in a Lockheed T-33 at a bit higher altitude. That's a while back.

Is that new Bentley an additional one?

Page 605 of 608 1 2 603 604 605 606 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.