Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4554662 - 02/03/21 01:16 AM Confused  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I haven't tried to get EAW running again in a few years, so I decided to come back to the EAW subforum and see what is the latest. I still have my original disk, manual, and keycard but I understand the disk isn't needed anymore. I see a post that I need to download version 1.60 and that it should run on Win 10.

Red Baron 3D and EAW were my first and favorite sims of all time. From maybe 2000 on, EAW was the first game I loaded on to each new PC as I upgraded.
Then at some point after Win XP, I started having issues--mainly caused by upgrading my graphics cards.

Anyway, where the heck is this download? I see a sticky that is titled EAW 1.60 but when I click on it I see nothing but posts about UAW 1.60 and stuff about multiplayer I did a SimHQ search and found nothing but posts about downloading 1.60 but no actual links to such a download. Most of the links to other sites seem to be a dead end as far as a Version 1.60 download. I can find links to a 1.28 version--just not anything labeled 1.60

What am I overlooking here? Help an old codger flight simmer out and point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4554672 - 02/03/21 03:58 AM Re: Confused [Re: Forward Observer]  
Crashin' Jack Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur
Crashin' Jack  Offline
Cockpit Connoisseur

Illinois, USA
Go to the main EAW page, look at the very top. There is a link for "EAW 1.6+"
On that page, second from the top, click on "UAW160 2020 Downloads"
The first post in that thread includes a link that says "13th June UAW160 2020 full installation"

I clicked on that and got the full download a week or so ago. A lot of stuff talks about multiplayer, but Mr. Jelly is primarily an online guy - this download includes everything, though.
After downloading, click on the self install to install it somewhere.
Then I go in that folder and click on "DSP2020MultiplayerV2.exe"
This starts a program that lets me select the map, theater, and set of aircraft I want to do. Then I click on the button that is supposed to start the game, but this program then crashes. BUT>>>>

It still loaded what I want. So now I click on "EAW.exe" and the game starts properly, with the stuff I had selected above.

I know this is all screwed up, and I am probably doing something wrong, but hey, it will get you in the air!

"Blasts from clustered R4M quartets in my snout
And see these English planes go burn...." Blue Oyster Cult

#4554680 - 02/03/21 07:35 AM Re: Confused [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Thanks, I found that link but the title UAW moniker is what got me confused--that and the multiplayer references. I'll give it a go tomorrow when my head is
clearer.

Cheers

#4554682 - 02/03/21 08:12 AM Re: Confused [Re: Forward Observer]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
Simple smile

EAW is European Air War
UAW is Universal Air War, because as well as having theatres in Europe we have theatres in North Africa, Iraq, the South Pacific, and many other areas that are not in Europe. It is still EAW but with a different name smile

Some theatres are not "multiplayer friendly" because of the positioning of bases and targets. They are fine offline in that you can do a ground-started mission, skip to waypoints and even accelerate time.
In multiplayer you cannot skip to waypoints or accelerate time. If you fly a ground-started mission and the distances are too far then it would take a ridiculously long time to reach the target or make contact with the enemy.
Hence, some of my installations are "reduced", with only "multiplayer friendly" theatres in the installation. They work well offline too, but they are released for the convenience of online players.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4554684 - 02/03/21 08:16 AM Re: Confused [Re: Forward Observer]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Welcome back to EAW. You might be pleasantly surprised. There have been enormous improvements in the game, both in depth and in breadth, since the time that those graphics cards problems began.

#4554721 - 02/03/21 02:54 PM Re: Confused [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Thanks again all. I'll post again if I run into any issues.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.