Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4553850 - 01/27/21 06:25 PM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
See, people love that game. I need to give it a proper go and fight through whatever makes me stop.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4553851 - 01/27/21 06:38 PM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: DBond]  
SippyCup Offline
SippyCup  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
See, people love that game. I need to give it a proper go and fight through whatever makes me stop.

I'm going to have to check it out myself... never heard of it before.

Side note, I just watched a video of it and noticed the music here is kind of similar to another game that was mentioned in this thread. I won't say which one, I want to see if anyone else thinks the same:

https://youtu.be/5TWDfltu6_w?t=194

(At 3:14)

#4553861 - 01/27/21 07:29 PM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
My only complaint about DD is I wanted the world bigger with even more to do. I have 114 hours in the game on Steam, btw.

SippyCup - it is definitely a different experience than Dark Souls, but not in a bad way. DD isn't nearly as hard, but imagine playing D&D around a table with friends, except you aren't at a table and everyone is in the videogame playing together.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/27/21 07:30 PM.
#4554082 - 01/29/21 11:10 AM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I have 100 hours in DD but I don't think I'm anywhere near the end. I have not played it in a couple of years now though I've been wanting to start it up again. That hundred hours doesn't even include the expansion which I've never tried yet. One of my favorite things about the game is the Pawn party system. I love not being alone in a creepyish fantasy world and that your three companions have charming, though sometimes over used dialogue and that they actually help in in combat. I also love that they let you climb on giant creatures which really makes it feel like LOTR movie fights. You can even grab a harpy and it will soar up into the air with you.

It definately has its bizarre aspects and quirks and it did take me awhile to get into it Dbond. I first played it some on Xbox 360 but very little. Poor fps along with the game's kind of notorious terrible night time artificial screen shroud thing made it rough so I never played it much. I finally got into it on PC where it runs as at an excellent 60fps. Unfortunately the shroud is still there. I also love how the game gives the player a working lantern and in this game it is often needed.

I would love to dive into the eerie world of Dark Souls but I think it would be just too difficult for me and maybe creepy. I tried Demon Souls on PS3 once and never got passed the first boss.

I played a good chunk of Beyond Two Souls on PS3 and it has some real spooky moments.

Alien Colonial Marines is pretty good modded with good atmosphere but not like the excellence of Alien Isolation.

Kind of a weird suggestion here is an indie game demo. I can't remember the name of the game but you start the game at night in the middle of nowhere in a car and without any means of navigation, you have to find you way to an exit. You end up driving around country roads and streets. At some point when you find your way to this Hydro Dam facility or something of the sort, if you look carefully, you will see silhouettes of men inside the building start to run and before you know it, inexplicably they are in a car, headlights turning on and they start chasing you. I think the music gets tense and you have to try to loose them. I got spun out and they approach the car and the game ends. Its really done quite well and it shows how creepy a minimalist concept can be.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4554359 - 02/01/21 06:53 AM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
SippyCup Offline
SippyCup  Offline

Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
it is definitely a different experience than Dark Souls, but not in a bad way. DD isn't nearly as hard, but imagine playing D&D around a table with friends, except you aren't at a table and everyone is in the videogame playing together.

Different than Dark Souls is fine with me, there are times when I don't feel like punishing myself. biggrin
Looks like it could be fun. Not normally my kind of thing but then again I thought that about Dark Souls before taking the plunge, I'll likely check it out in the coming months.

I'm glad to report I forgot almost every detail since my first playthrough so get the enjoyment of being a noob exploring all over again but with muscle memory. It's even more enjoyable this time around. Couple of screens from today:

Just finished High Lord Wolnir fight:

[Linked Image]

Messed up while fighting Yhorm The Giant, barely got it done... check out my health bar.

[Linked Image]

For those who haven't played it: It's definitely a creepy game with jump scares (especially if you get complacent) but mostly exciting / stressful. Well worth the time invested and it's beautiful in its own way, and very immersive.

#4554386 - 02/01/21 11:34 AM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot

Alien Colonial Marines is pretty good modded with good atmosphere but not like the excellence of Alien Isolation.

I bought this for 5 bucks and it was fun in cooperative mode. I'm glad I didn't pay full price for it though.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4554402 - 02/01/21 02:02 PM Re: Horror/Scary games [Re: Coot]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Coot
I have 100 hours in DD

Thanks Coot for this post, don't know how I missed it. I saw last night that I still have DD installed and intend to give it another go. The comments from players make it sound really good.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.