#4553972 - 01/28/21 05:22 PM The Crazy Stock Market  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I know almost nothing about stocks.

Have been watching this Gamestop market manipulation thing for a couple days now.

Any of you long time stock investors care to explain this, as I am fascinated, and at the same time, a little scared scared by it.

Are some heavy hitters getting hurt bad enough that they are calling in all their markers, or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

Pretty volatile looking market in my ignorant opinion.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4553973 - 01/28/21 05:25 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Stock manipulation has been going on since the 1800's. It's just very well publicized now thanks to our 24/7 news cycle and the internet.

As for Gamestop, I'm stunned that it's even still in business.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4553978 - 01/28/21 05:52 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
This is my day.

And right now, I haven't seen this much energy in the system since late 1999.

I feel like...

a) The market crushes higher
b) The market crashes

I don't think there's the third option of the market doing nothing. Not with the insane craziness I've seen from the main streeters the past couple of weeks. The only saving grace so far is that the news has continued to be bearish and wary of the market. When they go all in and say everyone should play stocks because the money is easy and real, that's when we in finance get really scared and sell.

#4553984 - 01/28/21 06:14 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

The short version, pun intended, is that a couple heavyweight stock investors were shorting the Gamestop stock. This is where someone borrows shares from another individual and then sells them, hoping to buy them back later at a lower price and then returning them to the owner. This happens frequently, but is very risky due to the fact that your potential losses are uncapped if things go sideways. A bunch of small time players got together and started buying shares of Gamestop stock and driving up the price, the exact opposite of what the guys shorting the stock want. They finally had to tap out the other day and buy back the shares, absorbing huge losses.

Originally Posted by Nixer
I know almost nothing about stocks.

Have been watching this Gamestop market manipulation thing for a couple days now.

Any of you long time stock investors care to explain this, as I am fascinated, and at the same time, a little scared scared by it.

Are some heavy hitters getting hurt bad enough that they are calling in all their markers, or is it all just smoke and mirrors?

Pretty volatile looking market in my ignorant opinion.

Last edited by WolverineFW; 01/28/21 09:01 PM.
#4553986 - 01/28/21 06:18 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thanks Wolverine, that's pretty much how I understood it.

Also, like Panzer said, not a clue how it's still in biz.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4553988 - 01/28/21 06:19 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Nixer

Also, like Panzer said, not a clue how it's still in biz.

Heck, even Radio Shack is still around but they are almost exclusively online only now.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4554008 - 01/28/21 08:09 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4554025 - 01/28/21 10:07 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

I think that the argument against the Reddit activities is that it is tantamount to collusion, which is an anti-market force. Large companies (i.e. oil & hedge funds) are not allowed to act cooperatively. Of course, it is hard to regulate, but that is the underlying principle. When gas companies set their prices, they are not allowed to consult their competitors and act in a united manner. They can always go out to the nearest gas station and see, before setting their own prices, but they cannot call one another on the phone and collude to set prices. This may be how the fund managers are interpreting the Reddit actions.

If allowed, this behaviour could carry over to other industries, like banking. Let's take a small bank as an example. A deposit of $100 means that only about $15 or less of that is actually kept in the bank as a reserve. The bank re-lends everything it can. If all the depositors came in on the same day to demand their money, this would cause a run on the bank resulting in a potential collapse.

Now, imagine if some entity(s) with a large balance of funds tried some scheme to collapse banks. They could open deposit accounts (up to the limit covered by the FDIC - Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation), then short-sell the bank's stock, and then demand their money in order to create a run on the bank and collapse it. Their deposits are all 100% federally covered and they get the benefits of the stocks sold-short.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4554027 - 01/28/21 10:18 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Apparently this only hit the news this week, but it goes back to people shorting gamestop much earlier in the year and it was already backfiring before wallstreetbets jumped on the bandwagon. It all started backfiring when they got a new CEO, the new consoles came out and Microsoft started making deals with Gamestop. It caused the stocks to not drop as expected. The whole wallstreetbets buying and keeping the price high is just exacerbating the problem for short sellers.

Here's yet another video that explains it some: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH_F7mQIM0M
and another one, because everybody has a version of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-b3opvdYL4

#4554032 - 01/28/21 10:40 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thanks everyone, I understand it much better now.

Robinhood's name is kind of Ironic at this point I guess.

edit: Oh, and "Sell Mortimer, Sell!" winkngrin

Last edited by Nixer; 01/29/21 12:03 AM. Reason: More stuff

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4554048 - 01/29/21 12:04 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
SippyCup Offline
SippyCup  Offline

#4554052 - 01/29/21 01:01 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
vocatx Offline
vocatx  Offline

Voca, Texas
I really don't see what the problem is. The ONLY reason it's big news is because some pencil-necked stock broker got soundly beat at his own game by 'outsiders'. If it's legal, and they didn't break any other laws, more power to them.

4H_V-man

System Specs:
MSI 870 A-G54
AMD X4 Phenom II @ 3.4 ghz
8 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM
1 Tb Western Digital
250 Gb Western Digital
320 Gb Seagate
Radeon HD 6970 graphics
Thermaltake 650 Modualar power supply
Thermaltake Element V full tower
#4554054 - 01/29/21 01:10 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Herman]  
Shadrik Offline
Shadrik  Offline

Originally Posted by Herman
I think that the argument against the Reddit activities is that it is tantamount to collusion, which is an anti-market force.

Ok, so I am completely uneducated on the subject of the stock market so these might be very naive questions, but I was wondering this: What these people did looks like this to me: A bunch of people come together and say "hey, lets all buy this stock, let's convince others to do so too". Isn't that essentially what stock investment firms do? Trying to get people to buy stock? The difference then would be that these are individuals all putting their own money in whereas a firm will try to get people to give them the money so they can buy it for them and make a cut.

Large companies (i.e. oil & hedge funds) are not allowed to act cooperatively. Of course, it is hard to regulate, but that is the underlying principle. When gas companies set their prices, they are not allowed to consult their competitors and act in a united manner.
They can always go out to the nearest gas station and see, before setting their own prices, but they cannot call one another on the phone and collude to set prices. This may be how the fund managers are interpreting the Reddit actions.

But these are individuals and they don't have any direct control over the price of anything, they have no product at all, they can just buy and sell. And if they can't communicate with each other then every single individual would have to invest whithout any advice whatsoever. That would have dire consequences for anyone offering stock advive as a service, no?

Maybe that is really naive, but to me this whole hubbub sounds alot like "wait, plebs, you don't understand, WE are supposed to take YOUR money, you dummies".

#4554055 - 01/29/21 01:24 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Large companies (i.e. oil & hedge funds) are not allowed to act cooperatively.

Yeah, sure. That's why they bailed out one of the own today to the tune of $750 million.

Good thing Martha Stewart wasn't involved...

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4554057 - 01/29/21 02:37 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
oldgrognard Online content
Administrator
oldgrognard  Online Content
Administrator
Lifer

USA

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4554059 - 01/29/21 04:16 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Shadrik]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Originally Posted by Shadrik
I think that the argument against the Reddit activities is that it is tantamount to collusion, which is an anti-market force.

Ok, so I am completely uneducated on the subject of the stock market so these might be very naive questions, but I was wondering this: What these people did looks like this to me: A bunch of people come together and say "hey, lets all buy this stock, let's convince others to do so too". Isn't that essentially what stock investment firms do? Trying to get people to buy stock? The difference then would be that these are individuals all putting their own money in whereas a firm will try to get people to give them the money so they can buy it for them and make a cut.

Yes, the counter-argument is, "These activities are what hedge-fund investors do every day.

Originally Posted by Shadrik
Large companies (i.e. oil & hedge funds) are not allowed to act cooperatively. Of course, it is hard to regulate, but that is the underlying principle. When gas companies set their prices, they are not allowed to consult their competitors and act in a united manner.
They can always go out to the nearest gas station and see, before setting their own prices, but they cannot call one another on the phone and collude to set prices. This may be how the fund managers are interpreting the Reddit actions.

But these are individuals and they don't have any direct control over the price of anything, they have no product at all, they can just buy and sell. And if they can't communicate with each other then every single individual would have to invest whithout any advice whatsoever. That would have dire consequences for anyone offering stock advive as a service, no?

Maybe that is really naive, but to me this whole hubbub sounds alot like "wait, plebs, you don't understand, WE are supposed to take YOUR money, you dummies".

Individually, they may not exert much influence but combined, they might constitute an entity. How many people does it take to foment or form a rebellion? Technically, two guys blasting the government while drinking beer would be sufficient to meet the threshold. I think it is a matter of size. Your small business cannot operate as a monopolistic enterprise whereas Amazon can.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4554067 - 01/29/21 08:15 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Question is, are them hedgefund managers really particularly hurt by all this? Sure short term for their initial short position that s bad news. And what do they do? Well, they invest now even more in shorts while the paper is artificially and unreasonably high, and they may likely win even more than expected with the initial shorts.

Last edited by WhoCares; 01/29/21 08:16 AM.
#4554076 - 01/29/21 10:28 AM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: Nixer]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

The bigger story here, is that Citadel is part owner in Robinhood. They forced Robinhood to disallow buying in Gamestop and several other heavily shorted stocks that WallstreetBets was playing. Disallowing buys means that the stock will fall.

However, Robinhood has reversed their decision because it was criminal in nature. Gamestop is currently over $400 pre market trading. And today, Friday, is margin call day, the day when the big boys have to cover their shorts.

I used to Day trade back in the 90's so I know all about this market stuff. We had a channel and we did the same thing.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4554108 - 01/29/21 03:18 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by TerribleTwo
The bigger story here, is that Citadel is part owner in Robinhood. They forced Robinhood to disallow buying in Gamestop and several other heavily shorted stocks that WallstreetBets was playing. Disallowing buys means that the stock will fall.

However, Robinhood has reversed their decision because it was criminal in nature.

If this is true, not saying it isn't but a link or two would be nice, the Feds should be arresting people now.

edit: Oh, can you imagine the shock for any long time Gamestop execs who had lots of "worthless" stock options? biggrin

Last edited by Nixer; 01/29/21 03:22 PM. Reason: Occasionally Coherent

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4554118 - 01/29/21 04:16 PM Re: The Crazy Stock Market [Re: TerribleTwo]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by TerribleTwo
The bigger story here, is that Citadel is part owner in Robinhood.

Ding ding ding!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.