Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4553941 - 01/28/21 02:15 PM Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake?  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm active on the Frontier boards, and read a lot of posts. I see a constant stream of players posting about how they screwed up, and then are often given the advice to send a ticket in so that Frontier can restore what they lost. Now, of course sometimes there are mitigating circumstances, some glitch or bug in the game that caused it. But the vast majority of the cases are players that simply messed up, or didn't understand how things work.

"I flew shieldless on a 50,000 light year trip and lost all my exploration data! "

They send in a ticket, FDev feels sorry for them (or whatever, probably just good customer relations) and erases the mistake.

This bothers me. Not sure what that says about me, but I think consequences are something to be suffered, not waved away because someone's got their knickers in a twist because they fouled up.

I've got 1,500 hours in this game, and I've lost five ships. It's something I focus on, I hate losing ships even if I could afford a million rebuys. I never even considered asking the devs to fix it for me.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4553943 - 01/28/21 02:23 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
No never asked them to fix anythng, I didn't even know it was a thing you could do smile

Not that I needed to in any case, I've always played Elite Dangerous as though all consequences were "real", as such I've never died, never lost a ship. I don't play all games that way, but for some reason I do with ED.

I read of a fix you can do yourself if you get stuck on a planet in a SRV and can't get back to your ship, where you reboot the game into vanilla mode, and you get placed back into your ship because of course there are no SRVs in vanilla. Then you can reboot again and you're back to normal. I don't know if this is still a relevant fix though since they made Horizons vanilla, is the whole game unified now?

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4553946 - 01/28/21 02:31 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My launcher still lets me choose between the two modes, and you are correct, that does work. I used it once when I got my SRV stuck on some rocks and couldn't get off. It works perfectly to get you back in your ship. But I think we will eventually lose this ability.

There's a thread right now about a commander who says he crashed in to a planet halfway to Beagle Point when his cat jumped on his keyboard and is lamenting the loss of all that data. Send in a ticket, everyone says.

You approach it same as me, DM. Play like it's really your life on the line. And accept the consequences when you foul up. If the program causes it, then OK, I have no problem with that. But if it's you (or your cat), suck it up buttercup.

#4553994 - 01/28/21 07:07 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
The hammer hits the nail perfectly! CONSEQUENCES and ACCOUNTABILITY!! Traits, behaviors and moral courage our culture has misplaced lately.

Play the game and own your mistake. If it hurts you'll remember it.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4553997 - 01/28/21 07:24 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
I haven't lost many ships in Elite, maybe a handful, but I've killed hundreds, if not a thousand human players.

I'm a bad man.

Begging Frontier to give you your stuff back is pretty sad. The game mechanics are designed around a player having a more thoughtful approach to things.

#4554001 - 01/28/21 07:47 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Spot on Blast!

#4554021 - 01/28/21 09:43 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Maybe I should have written the OP a little differently, because after reading that it's unlikely anyone will raise their hand.

But yeah, looks like we are all in agreement here.

#4554046 - 01/29/21 12:02 AM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I have the Eve Online mentality - ships are disposable, don't fly what you can't afford to lose.
That said, unless something happened on the server side I wouldn't ask FD to fix my error.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4554086 - 01/29/21 12:08 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Not trying to give some detailed analysis of modern day society here but it seems to me that many players are simply wanting a consequence-free environment and the developer in this case is aiding and abetting that.

From the developer's perspective though it could just simply be purely financial. They don't want to possibly alienate players and have them quit the game entirely.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/29/21 12:09 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4554093 - 01/29/21 01:22 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's true, because I imagine some players would just quit having lost a lot of whatever they lost. That's usually threatened in their posts, and on the Frontier boards anyway followed by a 'can I haz your stuff'. So if you retain them with a quick restore of their foul-up no skin off your back and you keep the players-in-game counts high.

I'll expound upon the first post and now it reads

"I flew shieldless on a 50,000 light year trip and lost all my exploration data. This game sucks. Uninstalling this POS"

Or something like that. It's a representative statement lol.

#4554094 - 01/29/21 01:28 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I would never ask to be honest. I've had reason to contact FD support a few times and they really were the most helpful bunch of people.

I will say though that I was most aggrieved when I lost my first ship. I didn't want it on my record, spoiling it. However over the years I got used to it but it still annoys me. One of my worst ship losses was called 'death by docking computer' where I activated it once inside the station (I needed to be in quick, some slaves had smuggled their way onboard somehow). Well the DC dragged me along the inside wall and I seemingly couldn't get control back in my panic.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4554120 - 01/29/21 04:56 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've never used SCA or DC. If I buy a ship that has them installed they are the first thing to go. But if I lost a ship because of module error? , I would be unhappy.

Matter of fact, 'spacemanship' is one of my favorite parts of Elite. General flight and what I call portside operations. Taking off, exiting the station, returning and landing is something I have always enjoyed in Elite. So while I don't begrudge these things for other commanders, I know I'll not use them. And after reading Chucky's post, sounds like that's an even better decision if those things cause you to crash now and again.

Aside from not wanting to relinquish manual control, I don't like the notion of using up a slot that could have been used for a different, more mission-focused alternative. Just my take on it.

I can still recall each ship loss. And only one of them has come in the last couple of years, a Courier lost to ludicrous-speed collision while I was bounty hunting with Bo.

I've lost two Eagles, a Vulture, a T-9 and the Courier.

The Eagles were early days. Unengineered and in my noob hands they were just waiting to be destroyed. The Vulture had the canopy shot away, and I ran out of oxygen before reaching the station. Either this was before you could synthesize it, or before I knew you could.

I don't recall exactly how I lost the T-9, as my mind has closed over the memory. But I was interdicted and wrote at the time that I had chosen the only course of action that could lead to my destruction, and it did. I hate the T-9 and disparage it at every opportunity. I sold it immediately after hitting rebuy.

And the Courier. Bo and I were bounty hunting in dual Couriers, and as I do with this ship I was flying it wide open full-time. That's pretty fast, and I collided head-on with a NPC named Andrew Knox. I've been hunting him ever since smile

#4554130 - 01/29/21 06:22 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Lol, I distinctly remember that!

#4554133 - 01/29/21 06:27 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Every ED player is different so after I did my own manual landings and take offs for the first few weeks I started using the automated landing/take off modules to save time and to also free up my hands so I can go use the bathroom or get a drink.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4554137 - 01/29/21 07:24 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I’m with D regarding docking computers and the like. I’m loathe to give up a slot, even a class 1. We all have our own priorities and ED pretty much allows that. One of beautiful aspects of the game, neh?

#4554143 - 01/29/21 07:48 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Hey Bo, I'm sitting a couple of jumps away with 652t of Tritium I bought. I already filled your donations and delivered VO's and LTD's. Do you want the Tritium in my hold or do I sell it back?

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4554147 - 01/29/21 08:11 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: WingNuts01]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Whichever you decide, Wingy. Should be a Trit buy order up if you decide to sell it onboard.

#4554151 - 01/29/21 08:19 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: Bohemond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by Bohemond
I’m with D regarding docking computers and the like. I’m loathe to give up a slot, even a class 1. We all have our own priorities and ED pretty much allows that. One of beautiful aspects of the game, neh?

Yep, right on. Blaze your own!

#4554154 - 01/29/21 09:22 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I don't like the docking computer because I actually enjoy flying the ship manually!!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4554207 - 01/30/21 03:18 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
When I was doing some hardcore trading I found the DC invaluable. As soon as I'd engaged it I would open the map and plan the return trip to save time. Plus it's a great time in which to make tea/grab snacks/toilet break.

You can probably tell how long ago I played E:D,how long has auto-take-off been a thing? Noticed it a few months ago when I logged in to set up a new account with my Epic version.

Last edited by Chucky; 01/30/21 03:23 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4554365 - 02/01/21 09:06 AM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
I don't like the docking computer because I actually enjoy flying the ship manually!!

Me too. It made sense when I played it on the ol' Spectrum 48k, because it really was a chore then. Plus, when you used the docking computer back then it would play The Blue Danube smile

#4554403 - 02/01/21 02:13 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DM]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by DM
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

Me too. It made sense when I played it on the ol' Spectrum 48k, because it really was a chore then. Plus, when you used the docking computer back then it would play The Blue Danube smile

It still does.:)

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4554424 - 02/01/21 03:53 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Wow, did not know that biggrin

#4554547 - 02/02/21 12:18 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Yeah, the very first time I used auto-dock and heard the Blue Danube play, I immediately caught the reference. I wonder how many of the younger players have no clue about why that song was chosen by the developer?

#4554557 - 02/02/21 02:22 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Yeah, the very first time I used auto-dock and heard the Blue Danube play, I immediately caught the reference. I wonder how many of the younger players have no clue about why that song was chosen by the developer?

I suspect not many,
We had the movie on Netflix here in Europe, so may be some has seen the now more than 50 years old movie.
I still watch it now and then.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4554561 - 02/02/21 02:32 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: Wigean]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Wigean

I suspect not many,
We had the movie on Netflix here in Europe, so may be some has seen the now more than 50 years old movie.

I have 2001 on bluray and it's been on my top 10 greatest sci-fi movies list for a very long time so needless to say I've lost count how many times I've seen it. My only lament is that I was not old enough to have seen 2001 when it premiered in movie theaters in 1968.

#4554567 - 02/02/21 03:28 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo

I suspect not many,

I have 2001 on bluray and it's been on my top 10 greatest sci-fi movies list for a very long time so needless to say I've lost count how many times I've seen it. My only lament is that I was not old enough to have seen 2001 when it premiered in movie theaters in 1968.

I watched it in 1968.
First thought they were running the wrong movie. A Sci Fi movie starting with apes? biggrin
One of the best on my list too.
I watched it again when I was dating my coming wife some years later. She passed that test. smile
I just looked at my bookshelf and I have 2010,2061 Odessey three and 3001 The Final Odessey.
I think I will read the final 2 books when I have the time.

#4554570 - 02/02/21 03:33 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: Wigean]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

I watched it in 1968.
First thought they were running the wrong movie. A Sci Fi movie starting with apes? biggrin
I watched it again when I was dating my coming wife some years later. She passed that test. smile

Thank you for sharing that great personal story! Did the movie theater you go to in 1968 have the "Cinerama" capability?

#4554580 - 02/02/21 04:02 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
I saw 2001 in 1976, my class went to see it as a school activity, but I feel maybe 12 years old was a little young to appreciate it fully. Especially as it was the same year as Star Wars, a movie made for 12 year olds biggrin

I feel that most people will know The Blue Danube from its 2001 context, but as I work in a pretty technical & geeky environment, and everyone I know more-or-less has girlfriends/wives/partners etc. of a similar social strata, that my view might be skewed.

#4554590 - 02/02/21 05:25 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo

I watched it in 1968.

Thank you for sharing that great personal story! Did the movie theater you go to in 1968 have the "Cinerama" capability?

I did a quick check on the format they showed in that periode. , They showed Cinerama movies in the 50`s, but I think they had 70 mm after the rebuild.
2001 was produced in 70 mm so I`m pretty sure that is the answer.
This cinema (the Colluseum) burned in 1963 and was rebuild a couple of years later.So I guess they had the newest equipment. On that time it was the biggest cinema in Oslo.

Last edited by Wigean; 02/02/21 05:26 PM.

#4554592 - 02/02/21 05:35 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DM]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM
but I feel maybe 12 years old was a little young to appreciate it fully..

I think that is quite a safe assumption to make. Any 12 year old who fully manages to grasp the existential themes posed by 2001 would in my opinion have to have an IQ over 150!

#4554593 - 02/02/21 05:42 PM Re: Have you ever asked Frontier to fix your mistake? [Re: DBond]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
With regards to Frontier.
I asked if they could change my commander name a couple of years ago. I used a silly name in the beginning and did not want to start a new career after all the grinding I had done.
They reacted quickly, and send me a nice message as well.
So all good from my part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.