As the tittle says ground textures are contstanly loading, not sure why
in-game setting are all maxed out
getting about 110fps when playing
my pc specs are
Intell i7-10700k
32 GB ram
2 x Radeon RX5700 xT
samsung ssd 750 evo pluss 850 evo

I also can not Alt-tab out of the game, as it results in a back to windows crash
I also have to open windows volume mixer every time i start the game to turn the volume down as windows does not seem to remember/
Any help would be greatly appreciated

#4553069 - 01/21/21 03:17 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

The sim appears to have issues with AMD's newer drivers, which means all the newer GPUs are affected. The older drivers which didn't have these issues unfortunately don't support newer GPUs such as yours. This has been reported/discussed a few times in several places on this forum (I will provide links if needed, but I don't have them at hand...they aren't hard to find). If I had to guess, your issues may be even more pronounced than some others because you're using two GPUs - nothing at all wrong with it, in my own extensive experience, but in this case I could easily see where it's compounding the already troublesome driver issues.

Although this is obviously not OBDs fault, it is exceptionally unlikely, in my opinion, that AMD is going to do anything about it.

Therefore, as others have suggested previously, I do wish OBD would officially change their recommendations and documentation (web site, FAQ) to reflect the problems with AMD's latest cards. More and more people are buying these cards, and as newer people - like yourself - find out about this sim and decide to try it, they are only disappointed to find out what seems to be confirmed issues with the AMD GPUs.

Of course, you can try settings etc, and others may offer help from their own first hand experiences**. Maybe try with a single card to see if it at least reduces the severity/scope of the issues. TBH/IMHO, though, it's not likely to change the various issues that have been reported.

HTH...good luck smile Any questions welcome.

**EDIT: I could be wrong - but I don't think anyone has posted here using a newer AMD card and not having issues.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 01/21/21 03:20 PM.
#4554263 - 01/31/21 12:46 AM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
R.Talbot Offline
R.Talbot  Offline

Yeah I have the same card. I've tried it all. Nothing fixes it.

#4554295 - 01/31/21 12:19 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I have posted for help in the developers' forum there too. We shall see.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4554298 - 01/31/21 01:28 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Polovski]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
I have posted for help in the developers' forum there too. We shall see.

When you say "there"...it's not clear in this thread - can you tell us where you're referring to? (AMD website, as a guess?)

Also, until there is a more definitive answer, would it be possible to put some sort of wording on your website/FAQ to indicate the current issues? I can tell you first hand, more and more people are interested in (and actually going with) AMD GPUs - but if they're interested in this sim (or WOTR), I'm telling people not to consider AMD GPUs. If they've already got one (and don't plan on changing) at least it will avoid the heartache that several people have already experienced the hard way. But if they haven't already decided on a GPU, and definitely want to run WOFF/WOTR, then they need to know before making that choice, that AMD GPUs have these issues - so they can decide accordingly.

I've already worked on three builds since first of the year, two of them for people who are interested in OBD sims. People might just as well buy themselves a shiny new AMD GPU simply because they don't realize there are these issues; if they do that, and then decide to try this sim, well...here we are.

I could understand if it weren't a known issue...but at this point, I think it's accurate to say it's a known issue. (Running a Poll thread could help confirm it, as one idea).

#4554299 - 01/31/21 02:05 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
That's a good suggestion KK.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4554313 - 01/31/21 03:41 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Yes by "there" I mean on the AMD forums as they are the developers. We have said AMD is not currently recommended on the requirements section on the website for now.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4554317 - 01/31/21 04:21 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Polovski]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
Yes by "there" I mean on the AMD forums as they are the developers. We have said AMD is not currently recommended on the requirements section on the website for now.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Ah...I thought you meant the developers' forum on the AMD website (as in 'a forum for third-party software/game developers' as opposed to 'the forum run by the GPU's developer'). Sorry for any confusion on my part.

Shame if you aren't able to solicit more 'inside' help - like having a contact directly within AMD, as with some game developers.

I see the WOFF website is changed, as well. I had looked not long ago, so the change must be fairly recent. This will almost assuredly save many people time and frustration - thanks.

I hope this can get resolved, because I'll tell you what: AMD is kicking some serious booty lately, and any game that can't run with AMD GPUs is going to suffer at least some lost followers, IMHO. Used to be I built one AMD system for every ten or so Intel/Nvidia setups. That number is now approaching 1 in 4 or 5...and growing.

Everyone who's been gaming for a few decades remembers some of the missteps with AMD (and drivers, mostly)...but that was a long time ago, and many younger gamers have no idea it ever happened. What they see is comparable performance, for (typically) far less cost -and they're in.

Last edited by kksnowbear; 01/31/21 05:13 PM.
#4554338 - 01/31/21 10:30 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

True but we've been here many times in the past. I too was an AMD and then ATI users years ago when they started to get their act together. Back to Intel and Nvidia eventually though...
AnK0r doesn't believe it's something we can fix without some help so..

It's the game/3rd party developers part of the AMD forums. They have to give you extra access to post.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4554340 - 01/31/21 10:54 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Unfortunately, all that history doesn't matter. As I explained, people who are spending money on gaming now, today are younger people (on the whole/in general/broadly speaking) who know nothing of those days gone past, even if you or I had AMD, ATI, 3DfX, etc etc...(I had all these and then some, just recently sold a 'vintage' 3Dfx Voodoo card to a collector, in fact...) We have to face the fact that we're not the target demographic anymore.

The fact is, AMD is doing a lot better, they're getting a lot of attention...and Intel is having a lot of trouble themselves. No need to go into it here, just look around; it's all over. Fortunately, Nvidia isn't doing too badly...but they're still keeping a weather eye on AMD's GPUs, you can bet. If the moment ever comes where the majority ever decides to go with AMD - even if it's 49.99999 to 50.00001 - it could snowball. Nvidia knows it. AMD knows it. Intel certainly knows it (and it's the last thing they need right now, too). I don't really think today compares to what you or I may have observed decades ago about AMD/ATI...they are not the same operation anymore - and neither is Intel.

I also don't think it's anything you can fix, TBH. As I've said consistently, it's not your fault anyway. But it is what it is...and unless it changes - regardless of how or why, there goes a part of (any game's) following. At least now people who see it over on your site might decide to just stick with Nvidia, which helps minimize the number of times it happens.

I actually found your posts over at the AMD forums and will be watching/hoping for the best. So far, not an overwhelming response unfortunately.

#4554478 - 02/01/21 07:42 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

For sure but when I bought those things I was still reasonably young wink. I am certain if the old ATI engineers are out of the system all will be totally fine. They sell to those who want a cheap deal with good bang, and it's only recently that AMD is supplying some of that again. Of course the young are buying so is anyone else who wants power and less price. I think they just try to compete and do, whenever they get a decent CPU or GPU. Nvidia and Intel are similar in that they often hold back and as soon AMD rise they release something or drop price. They definitely messed up with the 3000 series - if they ever get in the hands of mortals soon maybe that will make a good impression and tweak the balance some.
Me I look for stability too especially with games, and AMD still have some way to go there.

People buy what is good value / performance at the time as we know. Both AMD and ATI when independent fell a long way off the pace for quite some years after gaining a lot of ground, I hope this time round it's different. Competition makes all things good for us. Yes it is what it is at the moment.
Thanks KK.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4554586 - 02/02/21 04:48 PM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
kksnowbear Offline
kksnowbear  Offline

Lots of people already running full AMD setups (GPU and CPU) and perfectly stable; I know first hand, as I've built a few in the recent past. Not a single reported problem with drivers, stability, or anything else. That argument doesn't hold water any more (unless you're a middle manager over at Nvidia and very worried about your job). These issues that WOFF has with newer AMD cards doesn't prove they're unstable.

And, on that subject, Nvidia is by no means immune to stability issues, either.

(LOL I"m starting to sound like an AMD fan-boy; nothing could be further from the truth. The reality is I've never used an AMD GPU on my own primary system, just built quite a few for others. Personally, I've pretty much always used Nvidia/Intel.)

AMD already has cards that compete with 30-series cards *and* cost less. 6800XT outperforms 3080, for $50 less (MSRP). 6900XT can go toe-to-toe with 3090, outperforming it at times ( >one example here<) , requires significantly less power - and is 2/3rds the cost, for roughly the same performance (that's a whopping $500 less cost - enough to buy the majority of the other components for a PC build).

So...$1500 for a 3090 card alone...or, for the same $1500 - maybe $200 more - I can practically build an entire PC that performs on par with Nvidia/Intel.

Is AMD perfect? Nope.

Is Nvidia/Intel perfect? Nope. (Can you say "Meltdown?"...didn't affect AMD, just Intel)

It's not as imbalanced as you seem to think.

Again, I'm not some crazed AMD fanboy or whatever; I've always used Nvidia cards myself (since those became the only two choices, anyway). But it's foolish to think AMD is automatically going to fall behind again, or dismiss their recent accomplishments.

We are past the point where any game producer should be looking at AMD as some minor annoyance that will just fail again like they have in the past. If AMD users are discounted, that game developer is losing real business, right now, today...and in the future. Perhaps ironically, in the same fashion AMD seems to have lost your GPU business...you're making purchasing decisions based on what happened in the past. If we apply the same logic to WOFF, then no one who owns AMD now, or will ever buy one in the future, will buy WOFF.

It's not that I don't understand and respect your right to decide how you want - I certainly do. Again, I build both types of systems. But we must acknowledge that, if you can say "I'm not using AMD because of what happened in the past", then future AMD users can say that about WOFF...and there goes some of the business you're always saying you need.

Competition only makes things better where there's actually a choice. If a game doesn't support a certain GPU (or other major component), then there's no choice, and thus the question of competition doesn't enter into it.

#4554690 - 02/03/21 09:42 AM Re: Ground textures constantly loading plus issues [Re: Doc_Savage]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

I didn't say you are an AMD fan boy in any way - edit: oh I see that came from yourself wink. There's both sides, you have to learn somethings from the past and also give people a chance of course. I'm talking 30 years or whatever of similar rises and falls, and yes it will be marvellous if that doesn't happen this time. I have bought AMD a few times I didn't say I would never buy again - but will wait and see this time.
I don't think WOFF is 'broken' something changed with ATI drivers or cards. I'll leave it there I am sure we both have other things to do.

Regards,

Polovski,

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.