#4552210 - 01/14/21 04:08 AM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: carrick58]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by carrick58
Tombstone had all the Cowboy Hoopla of the Old West. Outlaws and Law men walked the walk and talked the talk It was shoot em up Popcorn film with attention to period detail ( Gun Holsters, firearms, clothing. Cowboy talk like I am ur Huckleberry ect } It dealt more with the Fantasy of the West than the Truth about the West. thus providing a Fantasy release in a fun Movie that I still enjoy watching over again. As for Costner's film it was too long. Maybe his best attempt was Open Range with Robert Duvall. and the longest gunfight on film

The general feeling I got from reading many reviews when "Wyatt Earp" was first released was that it was just simply DULL.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/14/21 04:08 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4552222 - 01/14/21 09:19 AM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: carrick58]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Tombstone had all the Cowboy Hoopla of the Old West. Outlaws and Law men walked the walk and talked the talk It was shoot em up Popcorn film with attention to period detail ( Gun Holsters, firearms, clothing. Cowboy talk like I am ur Huckleberry ect } It dealt more with the Fantasy of the West than the Truth about the West. thus providing a Fantasy release in a fun Movie that I still enjoy watching over again. As for Costner's film it was too long. Maybe his best attempt was Open Range with Robert Duvall. and the longest gunfight on film

https://youtu.be/1E4BQmImrm4

https://youtu.be/ANsUMi1a3_o

Open Range is a simply brilliant Western. Gorgeous cinematography. Great acting, good story. One of my top 5 westerns.

#4552223 - 01/14/21 09:21 AM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
RossUK Online cowboy
RossUK  Online Cowboy

Eastbourne, UK
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

The general feeling I got from reading many reviews when "Wyatt Earp" was first released was that it was just simply DULL.

It's a good film but think you have to be interested in the subject matter of Earp. If just a casual movie gooer I can see that Tombstone would be a better draw. I prefer Tombstone myself even though it's more pulpy than Wyatt Earp.

#4552420 - 01/15/21 04:10 PM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: RossUK]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Originally Posted by RossUK

https://youtu.be/1E4BQmImrm4

https://youtu.be/ANsUMi1a3_o

Open Range is a simply brilliant Western. Gorgeous cinematography. Great acting, good story. One of my top 5 westerns.

2nd that recommendation on Open Range. In fact, I think I'll watch it again this weekend.

#4552739 - 01/18/21 10:48 PM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: rwatson]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
I ran across this video the other day and thought of this thread:

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4552824 - 01/19/21 09:30 PM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: rwatson]  
Outlaw Offline
One of the Original Four
Outlaw  Offline
One of the Original Four

The Great Northwest...
I think both films took "liberties" in the historical stuff and they follow the same "stretching of the truth" that Hollywood always does. Case in point is that Ringo was not killed by anyone. He shot himself under a tree.

And Earp was a blonde haired blue eyed guy!

Last edited by Outlaw; 01/19/21 09:30 PM.
#4552826 - 01/19/21 09:36 PM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: Outlaw]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Outlaw
Case in point is that Ringo was not killed by anyone. He shot himself under a tree.

*Laughs in Buckskin Frank Leslie*

#4552846 - 01/20/21 02:05 AM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: rwatson]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Historical inaccuracies aside, I think the bottom line is that cinematically, Tombstone simply worked while Wyatt Earp did not.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4553059 - 01/21/21 02:48 PM Re: Wayet Earp [Re: rwatson]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Even though I've read that Wyatt Earp never used a long-barrelled Colt, I couldn't resist getting this when a guy offered it to me dirt cheap at a gunshow in Fort Smith a few years ago. It's a replica made by Uberti of the 10-inch barrelled movie gun Kirt Russell used in the Tombstone OK corral shootout. I took it to the range right after I got it and every shot keyholed in the target telling me why I got it so cheap. I was able to slug the barrel and reload with a slightly larger diameter bullet which solved the issue. However, I didn't really get it to shoot that much since I have a half dozen other SAA's for that. I ordered the special case from Cimarron firearms since they also sell this particular reproduction.

[img]g[/img]

Cheers

P.S. Here's what the S & W Model 3 looks like. This is the Schofield version used by the US Cavalry, but the only major difference between it and a commercial model is in the way the top latch opens.

[img]g[/img]

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.