Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#4552515 - 01/16/21 08:51 AM NHL hockey has started  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The Divisions have changed this year, so all the Canadian teams are in the North Division.

Last night watched the Ottawa Sens take on the Toronto Maple Leafs. To early to tell but it looks like their trades and draft picks are good for the Sens. Oh yay, they beat the Leafs 5-3. smile

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4552530 - 01/16/21 02:22 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good start for the Flyers, taking two from the Pens. Outscored them 11-5. If they can replicate their form from the second half of last season I like their chances this year.

This is the first season I can recall in my lifetime where the Leafs are probably the most popular pick for the Cup. Can they handle the expectations? The realignment works in their favor and I like the squad they've put together, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it and their chances will pivot around their mentality.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4552536 - 01/16/21 03:25 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Originally Posted by DBond
Good start for the Flyers, taking two from the Pens. Outscored them 11-5. If they can replicate their form from the second half of last season I like their chances this year.

This is the first season I can recall in my lifetime where the Leafs are probably the most popular pick for the Cup. Can they handle the expectations? The realignment works in their favor and I like the squad they've put together, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it and their chances will pivot around their mentality.

The Leafs sure didn't have their act together last night. This is a major rivalry.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
#4552546 - 01/16/21 04:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, good win for the Sens. I see Coburn is playing for you guys. Played for Philly for a long time.

The Leafs are interesting. We talk about them a lot here anyway! biggrin

I'm no fan, but looking at their team objectively it's intriguing. The Thorton signing is one that can go wildly either way. He has a fantastic pedigree, but father time always catches up eventually. I didn't see the game last night, but saw he was a minus 3. Add his 41 years to Spezza's 37 and that's a lot of mileage. Fewer games this season, but a higher pace I think, games coming faster? The Leafs have a lot riding on those two having solid seasons. I see Wayne Simmonds is a Leaf now. He's been bouncing around since he left Philly, fourth team in four years. Andersen has been a sieve in the early going and they'll need him to get right quick.

Not sure I'm buying the Leaf's Cup talk. This year will probably produce a surprise, it just feels inevitable. I like the Lightning still, even without Kucherov. That's a huge blow though and it's hard to repeat. With injuries and Covid protocol stuff through the season I wonder if Tampa can last. Like a long time out for Stamkos would really derail them with Kucherov also out. If Point continues his playoff form then maybe they won't miss a beat. I like the Avalanche too. Realignment favors them too I think and they have a great chance to come out as top seed. Sakic has the midas touch it seems. He has made some great roster moves over the past couple of seasons. Vegas, the Blues, Caps, Bruins and maybe a few more too all have a shot this year I think.

The Flyers are a darkhorse. I look at the roster and I don't think Cup winner. But Vigneault has done a fantastic job since he arrived. They were the best team in hockey in the second half of last season, and they're off to a great start this year. They've gotten back a couple players that missed all of last year in Nolan Patrick and Oskar Lindblom. Konecny is looking to be a better player than I predicted, hat trick last night. Both Giroux and Voracek look energized and Couturier is coming off a Selke. Provorov is going to be a star and Carter Hart is still only 22 and many have him favorite for the Vezina this year. And if not, you have to reckon on him taking several in the future, barring Flyer's voodoo derailing it all. The sum seems greater than the parts at this point, which is down to system, determination and effort I think, and it's great to see after so many years treading water (last Cup appearance 2010, lost to Blackhawks in six)

#4552593 - 01/17/21 03:32 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I bought NHL Center Ice, all I have done the last few days is watch hockey. I love it.
This will help get me through the lockdown.

The Leafs are not doing anything with an AHL level coach. They look lost in their own end.
Mind you they played well tonight. But the first 2 games were sh*t shows.

Colorado look like the favorite to win it all.
The Devils surprised me against the Bruins, twice. Blackwood looks like the real deal in net.

Montreal looks really good to. The Canadian division is going to be a blast to watch.

#4552605 - 01/17/21 09:00 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

The best thing so far is during a post game interivew, Vorachek just rips into some idiot reporter asking stupid questions. Apparently he had enough of the guy trolling him on social media.

#4552613 - 01/17/21 01:23 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah that's right Wolverine. That reporter is from the Philadelphia Inquirer, and he has written some BS stuff in the past, seemingly making stuff up. At one point he wrote in his column that the Flyers are collapsing and it's all Voracek's fault. Of course he didn't take well to that.

I love seeing stuff like this, reporters cut down to size, especially when they think they are the story.

#4552643 - 01/17/21 06:53 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WolverineFW]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by WolverineFW

The best thing so far is during a post game interivew, Vorachek just rips into some idiot reporter asking stupid questions. Apparently he had enough of the guy trolling him on social media.

That was great. I'd like to see that more. Better than most of the pre programmed sound bytes they spit out.

#4552835 - 01/20/21 12:00 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
Watch Montreal, lots of talent on my team

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
#4552851 - 01/20/21 03:16 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: Marc]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Marc
Watch Montreal, lots of talent on my team

Marc..

Josh Anderson was a great pick up. The guy is a bull.

#4552856 - 01/20/21 03:54 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

Originally Posted by WangoTango
That was great. I'd like to see that more. Better than most of the pre programmed sound bytes they spit out.

Saw one of the first game of the season between Washington and Buffalo. The colour commentary was pretty horrid and it just made me thankful for the Canadian commentators who seem to have a much better understanding of the game.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon community's #1 choice

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions
#4552945 - 01/20/21 07:26 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Montreal should make the playoffs in this year's format. I suspect the Leafs and maybe the Oilers? are the best in the new division, but after that? Why not Les Habs? They're scoring in bunches. But The Flames have looked good so far too, their power play is clicking. Four will come out of the North. Leafs, Oilers, Habs, Flames? Maybe Vancouver? Should be a good race.

When the Flyers beat them in the first round last year I wondered where Montreal was heading, but they made some good roster moves over the offseason and look to have retooled to be a factor this year.

Flyers opened with two wins against the Pens, then split two with the Sabres to sit at 3-1 after four games. The loss was really bad, so bad I flipped channels at 3-0 down. There was one shift where the Flyers somehow gave the puck away 6 or 7 straight times without getting it out of the zone. I couldn't watch.

#4553257 - 01/22/21 06:06 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Bad loss last night for the Flyers. Lost to Boston in a shootout after blowing a lead. Watching it, I said 'The Flyers have to be the worst shootout team ever in the NHL'. So I looked it up. And I was right. By a lot.

The Flyers have been in 139 games decided by shootout. They've won 50, lost 89 for a winning percentage of .360. Just awful.

Next worse is the Senators, 56-78 for .418.

Leafs are 58-77 for .430, fourth-worst all time behind the Panthers.

The Avs are the best, 73-41 for .640

Despite the loss to the Bruins, Philly took 7 of the first 10 points, and that's a pace I can live with.

#4553266 - 01/22/21 07:19 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Philly will compete, they have some great players. Love Carter Hart.

#4553353 - 01/23/21 03:20 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hope you're right. I like the squad for the most part. I wasn't happy with the deal they gave JVR, and he has yet to live up to it, predictably.

The key for so many teams this season will be avoiding the effects of Covid. Losing your top players for a week or two at a time for quarantine is devastating for the product on the ice.

Philly's done well so far, but only played one road game. By contrast, Montreal is top of their division having yet to play a home game. And anyway, the traditional concept of home and away may not mean much this year. Not many hostile crowds.

I like the realignment and the new playoff qualification setup. Honestly, I'd like them to keep it after this year. Divisional play is important again, not just conference. Brings back the close rivalries like back in the old Patrick Division days. The all-Canadian North is so cool.

#4553360 - 01/23/21 03:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
JVR is off to a good start, last year was brutal for him.
I like the Canadian division too. I doubt they keep it though. 3 different time zone in one division.
The NHL will want to showcase the star players in all markets as well, even if it is only 1 or 2 games a year.

#4553363 - 01/23/21 03:58 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Five years with a 7 million cap hit each year. Through 2023 when he'll be 33. For that I expect more. He has three goals so far so yeah, good start, but needs to keep it going.

Hart's been shaky so far. Sub-.900. I'm not worried about him, but had big expectations this year. Last year he sort of had the yips on the road, and I thought what better time to get past that than a season with few or no fans? But I'd like to see him sharpen it up.

Dallas hadn't played a game yet this season because of Covid. They finally get on the ice for a game last night and promptly smoke the Preds 7-0. Amazing.

#4553381 - 01/23/21 05:47 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Big trade just went down, essentially Laine for Dubois. Second pick in 2016 for the third pick in 2016. interesting.

Dubois now has to quarantine for two weeks.

#4553387 - 01/23/21 06:28 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Well hopefully Dubois is okay with the trade, or we will see more pyloning from him. And nobody will want to pick him up as he stands on the ice, like a pylon

#4553390 - 01/23/21 06:56 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Jets fan?

Yeah, Torts had benched him this week, Or last week. Not sure. Maybe new scenery will be good for him. But yeah, you have to hope he thinks it was a good move going to Winnipeg.

#4553398 - 01/23/21 08:26 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
One whiner for another. Tortorella will make mincemeat out of Laine.
I have no respect for players under contract that pout their way out of town. Terrible character flaw to have within a team sport.

#4553399 - 01/23/21 08:30 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Five years with a 7 million cap hit each year. Through 2023 when he'll be 33. For that I expect more. He has three goals so far so yeah, good start, but needs to keep it going.

Hart's been shaky so far. Sub-.900. I'm not worried about him, but had big expectations this year. Last year he sort of had the yips on the road, and I thought what better time to get past that than a season with few or no fans? But I'd like to see him sharpen it up.

Dallas hadn't played a game yet this season because of Covid. They finally get on the ice for a game last night and promptly smoke the Preds 7-0. Amazing.

I had no idea JVR was making 7 mil a year. No wonder Flyers fans are upset. That is the problem with free agency, UFA's always get over payed for past achievements. GM's line up and compete to over pay.

JVR is great around the net, but he is a weak skater.

#4553408 - 01/23/21 09:18 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
One whiner for another. Tortorella will make mincemeat out of Laine.
I have no respect for players under contract that pout their way out of town. Terrible character flaw to have within a team sport.

Quoted for truth, This is really bad in European soccer. The players hold all the power.

Here's the Flyers cap structure. Kevin Hayes is a 7.1 million cap hit eek

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/philadelphia-flyers/cap//

The Leafs have 33 million in cap space tied up in Matthews, Marner and Tavares, which is 40% of the total cap. Their contracts are all for nothing, with massive signing bonuses.

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs/cap/

#4553410 - 01/23/21 09:32 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Yeah, the Leafs have half their cap space tied up in 4 guys. I can't stand Dubas. An analytics guy all the way, too young to be a GM. The guy is a fraud, he even wears fake glasses believe it or not. He hired his AHL coach to run the big club, another mistake. Leafs should have a proven coach. They are inconsistent and appear lost most nights, especially in their own end.
Hayes is a bad Cap hit, and unfortunately Giroux looks like he lost a step, at least he did last year. He was consistent for so long.

I like to use Cap Friendly for team contract info
https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/flyers

#4553420 - 01/23/21 11:24 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Jets fan?

Yeah, Torts had benched him this week, Or last week. Not sure. Maybe new scenery will be good for him. But yeah, you have to hope he thinks it was a good move going to Winnipeg.

The Jets are my local team, so yes definitely a fan. I liked Laine as well, great shot and some nice moves for a big man, and funny too

#4553432 - 01/24/21 02:57 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I take it back. Carter Hart is killing me in fantasy hockey.

#4553677 - 01/26/21 02:25 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, he's been bad. He'll come good, but until he does I guess we'll see more of Elliot which would cost you more points? Maybe you've a good backup.

Losses are inevitable, but I'm concerned about the manner of the two losses so far. If you're in the game, competitive and playing well and the result doesn't go your way it's OK, that happens. But the Flyers become inept. They look great one game, crisp passing, great movement, good forcheck. The next night they can't do anything right. Constantly giving the puck away, going offsides, losing their man, taking penalties at the wrong end of the ice. It's still early, but I hope they find consistency soon. Short season, so a team getting hot or cold at the right or wrong time can see a big shift in the standings. The East is looking tough this year. Adding Boston didn't make it any easier, the Devils look to have improved, Caps and Pens are playing better and the Islanders are in the mix. All for four spots.

#4553698 - 01/26/21 04:58 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
This year you can create a huge gap in the standings. Just playing in one division. That East division is loaded with good teams.

#4553760 - 01/27/21 01:43 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

Yeah, he's been bad. He'll come good, but until he does I guess we'll see more of Elliot which would cost you more points? Maybe you've a good backup.

Losses are inevitable, but I'm concerned about the manner of the two losses so far. If you're in the game, competitive and playing well and the result doesn't go your way it's OK, that happens. But the Flyers become inept. They look great one game, crisp passing, great movement, good forcheck. The next night they can't do anything right. Constantly giving the puck away, going offsides, losing their man, taking penalties at the wrong end of the ice. It's still early, but I hope they find consistency soon. Short season, so a team getting hot or cold at the right or wrong time can see a big shift in the standings. The East is looking tough this year. Adding Boston didn't make it any easier, the Devils look to have improved, Caps and Pens are playing better and the Islanders are in the mix. All for four spots.

Are you talking about the Flyers or the Canucks. From your description of their inconsistent play I couldn't tell. Lol

#4553788 - 01/27/21 12:44 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Will the loss of Jack Campbell hurt the Leafs?

#4553809 - 01/27/21 02:12 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WolverineFW]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee

Are you talking about the Flyers or the Canucks. From your description of their inconsistent play I couldn't tell. Lol

Haha, good one. Bi-coastal commiserations mate smile

As for Campbell, I suppose it comes down to how well Hutchinson does. I know nothing about the Leaf's backup's backup. Campbell's numbers were great in limited action so far. With the shorter season I reckon backups won't be quite as important as usual this year. But the starter's fitness and form are part of the equation too, so we will see.

#4553856 - 01/27/21 06:52 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Will the loss of Jack Campbell hurt the Leafs?

Only if Freddie can't play.
There are no back to back games until Feb.17/18th

Unfortunately they let Aaron Dell walk on waivers. He did a very good job with SJ last year.
Doogie Howser's cap crunch, and poor management are being exposed. Again.

Hutchinson did play 3 playoff games last year for Colorado in the 2nd round. won 2 lost one in OT. Make of that what you will.

#4553904 - 01/28/21 03:43 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Wow. Ottawa is bad.

#4553932 - 01/28/21 01:08 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Tough loss WT. Wolverine will be pleased.

Canadian teams have a significant advantage this year, with the North having seven teams, when the others all have eight. Since four come out of each division, that gives those North teams a nice edge in getting to the postseason.

#4553939 - 01/28/21 01:46 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Wow. Ottawa is bad.

Ottawa has a NHL team?

#4553940 - 01/28/21 01:48 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ouch eek

Battle of Ontario just took it up a notch!

#4553955 - 01/28/21 03:33 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Tough loss WT. Wolverine will be pleased.

Canadian teams have a significant advantage this year, with the North having seven teams, when the others all have eight. Since four come out of each division, that gives those North teams a nice edge in getting to the postseason.

Yes, one less team to beat. Very unorthodox season for sure. But I am glad there is hockey to watch.
Could build new rivalries playing teams 8 times, when usually you would only play them twice. Calgary and Toronto are, or specifically Matthew Tkachuk and Jake Muzzin are building a nice rivalry.
Looks like Vancouver may have snapped out of their funk. Can the Flyers and Carter Hart do it tonight ? My fantasy team sure hopes so.

#4553996 - 01/28/21 07:15 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

I would say this season has little room for error. No team can afford a 10 game slide and hope to just get back in the action with only 50 something games in the seaon.

#4554019 - 01/28/21 09:32 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Covid hitting random teams. Vegas and St. Louis today. Florida, Carolina and Dallas have already gone through it. I'm probably forgetting somebody..oh yeah, Washington the Russian 4.

#4554104 - 01/29/21 02:37 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hope you didn't pull Hart Wango Tango, Had his best game of the season last night. Looked sharp, turning away 32 shots for a .971.

The Devlis outplayed the Flyers for stretches, doubling them up on shots. But the Flyers won 73% of the faceoffs. I can't recall seeing that high a disparity. Winning all those defensive zone faceoffs was massive, especially on the penalty kill. That, combined with Hart's good play won the game. Plus Giroux finally scored. That's two more wins on the road against a divisional foe and that's what the Fly boys need to do.

#4554116 - 01/29/21 04:04 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Hope you didn't pull Hart Wango Tango, Had his best game of the season last night. Looked sharp, turning away 32 shots for a .971.

The Devlis outplayed the Flyers for stretches, doubling them up on shots. But the Flyers won 73% of the faceoffs. I can't recall seeing that high a disparity. Winning all those defensive zone faceoffs was massive, especially on the penalty kill. That, combined with Hart's good play won the game. Plus Giroux finally scored. That's two more wins on the road against a divisional foe and that's what the Fly boys need to do.

Nope, I dressed him last night thumbsup

#4555105 - 02/06/21 03:15 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Sorry WT, nice move.

Hard to keep this thread afloat smile

Boston seems to have the Flyers number, and I will be happy to see the the back of them. At 7-3-2 the Flyers sit in second place in the East. Concerned about the goal difference at just +2, which suggests close wins and bad losses. They've played well over all, but it's a fine line. Most importantly, they have a six-point gap to fifth-placed Devils, who do have three games in hand. Pens are treading water and long may it last.

A few random observations from around the league....

The Greafs Leafs are sitting pretty, top of the North at 8-2-1 (+8). Les Habs too, at 7-2-2 (+16), who are the highest-scoring team in the league. I predicted a good season for the Oilers, and they didn't get off to a good start, but have won three straight to get back to .500.

The Central is hard to decipher, with the Stars' situation affecting the schedule and a big disparity in games played so far (some of this in the West too). The Lightning are where we expect, on top. But the Panthers have yet to lose in regulation.

It's been a great start to the season, and I'm just happy we have hockey.

#4555127 - 02/06/21 08:06 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

The Habs are looking pretty strong. Between the Habs and Leafs, goaltending ie Carey Price, I think will give them the edge barring major injuries.

#4555138 - 02/06/21 09:08 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WolverineFW]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The Habs are looking pretty strong. Between the Habs and Leafs, goaltending ie Carey Price, I think will give them the edge barring major injuries.

Freddie Anderson is 39th in GAA at 3.01, 48th in SAV% at .888. The Leafs need to score 4 plus goals to win games. They are going nowhere with goaltending like that.

#4555143 - 02/06/21 09:27 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, those numbers won't cut it at this level, although that GAA isn't bad. I thought he was out with injury?

Hart's 3.42 and .898, and now has back spasms.

#4555540 - 02/10/21 02:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Flyers put 7 past the Caps a couple days ago, rebounding from back to back one-goal losses to Boston. And now they are shut down for Covid.

But what I really wanted to mention is the Pens hiring Hexy as GM!

His record was spotty for the Flyers in that role. I'm a huge Hextall fan, I absolutely loved him as a player, but not so much as an exec. If you are a fan of ANY other team, you probably hate him. But man he was fun back in the day. And he was good too. He should have won his second Vezina in 1996, when Carey won it. Hextall's numbers were better. But it was his fire that made him so loved by Flyers' fans. Yeah, maybe he was out of control a bit. But I loved it.

It's like Tie Domi. Man I despise that guy. But Leafs fans adore him, I guess?

The worst part about this hire is Hexy going to the hated Pens, our fiercest rival. I hope he does a horrible job there. The Pens golden age is coming to an end, with Malkin, Cryin' Sid and Letang all getting in to their mid-30s. It will be Hextall's job to rebuild that roster, and it's a tall order indeed.

If the Pens don't start winning, then is it possible that those guys get moved? Like wouldn't Colorado jump all over Crosby if he were available?

#4555553 - 02/10/21 04:47 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Pens hired Brian Burke as well. Hextall left some good pieces in Philly before he was fired. Some of that young talent is thanks to him.
It will take awhile to rebuild the Pens. They traded away their 1st,3rd,4th and 6th round picks this year.
Crosby's childhood favorite team was Montreal. I see Crosby coming to Canada if he is traded.

As for Cryin' Sid ... yes when he came into the league as an 18 year old, his first couple of seasons he whined a lot, threw his head back dramatically when hit.
BUT, after than he has been nothing but professional. Nobody, I mean nobody gets the abuse on the ice Crosby does down low. The constant crosschecks. Gretzky did not have to endure a fraction of what Crosby does.

#4555613 - 02/11/21 01:49 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

My old hockey coach I had one year played in the Canadian Junior League with the Brandon Wheat Kings. Hextall was their goalie. He apparently was even more of a hothead in junior than the NHL. He had is own dressing room so when he freaked out nobody else got in the line of fire.

#4555616 - 02/11/21 03:00 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Cryin' Sid crack is just banter. Amazing player and don't think I haven't watched him light up the Flyers for the past 15 years. He's the best player on our biggest rival and has been for a long time. Same with Domi too, well not the lighting the lamp part, but I need my hockey villains. Back to the banter smile

Hexy as GM. His best work was in the draft. He especially hit at the top, with players like Konecny, Provorov, Nolan Patrick and Hart. In the free agent market and trades he had some missteps. JVR is making me eat my words now, but until this season I think we were overpaying him. If he keeps on this pace for a couple more seasons it will look good in the long run, but that's a big if. His trades were mostly about clearing cap space, which is valuable, but an impact move here or there would have been nice too.. He got a team-friendly deal with Couturier. Selke-quality centers are gold in this league. The Vorackek deal maybe not so good at this point, with a cap hit over 8m. I like Voracek, but he's underperformed his contract I'd say.

Building through the draft is the way to go and he did a good job there. Probably why the Pens gave him the reigns. I know what goes on with the Flyers, but I wonder at the same time I'm praising Hexy's drafts, how they compare to any other GM through his tenure. Sorting out the best junior hockey talent is easier than say baseball, or even football. I reckon most GMs hit a good player with the first couple of picks in any draft. Hart was the 48th pick, to Hexy's credit.

If he follows the same MO in Pittsburgh, I'd say the big names are on the move if they are looking up at a playoff position a month from now. He'll stockpile picks, clear cap space and start over.

#4555750 - 02/12/21 01:44 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Ah, hockey talk. Good to see some interest in the fine sport. I think the NHL , and the individual teams themselves, have done a great job of putting the product out there. It isn't the same as with the crowds, but I'll take it. I kind of like the new division set ups. The all Canadien one is great. Glad to see the Leafs and Habs fighting for top spot. I was getting tired of hearing about the #%&*$# Tkachuk boys all the time.

It looks like the Sens are actually competing for last place with my Dead Wings. I will say one thing about the Sens organization, at least they try to make changes when things aren't working out. The Wings are in their sixth season of the Jeff Blashill experience. It has been an abject failure from the start. I thought for sure Yzerman would get rid of him. All they talk about is how great he is at developing young players. That's what the minor leagues are for. At the prices they charge to see a game (or a subscription to watch at home), they need to put a NHL team on the ice. Then they go out and give a long term, multi million dollar contract to Anthony Mantha. He will be just another in the long lines of bad contract deals that will never produce any results. I treated myself to NHL Center Ice so I could watch actual NHL hockey. Oh well, I just had to rant about the Wings.

#4555805 - 02/12/21 01:43 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Welcome back man smile

Yeah, we have a Wings fan and a Sens fan here, and while it's not a good time right now for either, things will only get better. Being at the bottom sucks, but it gives a team the tools to rise again, provided the GM isn't a moron, and the drafts have generational talent available. Look at the Leafs right now. Best team in the league so far. They hit it big on Matthews and Marner and adding a few key pieces through free agency and really turned it around. I know Wango Tango doesn't rate the GM, but from outside looking in the moves they've made look to have paid off. I know the team is cap heavy at the top, and a long term injury to one of those guys, or covid isolation could derail them. Andersen's a UFA next year, but Matthews, Marner and Tavares are all locked up through at least 2025.

#4555838 - 02/12/21 05:49 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think the success of the Leafs will once again be measured by how far they go in the playoffs. Matthews and Marner can sure get the fans out of their seats with their talent, but it sure seems to shrivel up once the playoffs start. I'm not a big fan of their GM either, but we will see if his moves this year pan out.

What do you guys think of the "synthetic" fan noise some teams have been using during their television broadcast?. I'm not a big fan of it. Some teams audio is worse than others. It seems too loud or doesn't match the play of the game.

I don't think the new high tech pucks are working out. Watching games lately, they seem to be way too bouncing. Players look like they can get it to just settle down. I watched the Bruins/Rangers game the other night and it was really noticeable. I can't believe they cost $45 a puck. I wonder if they let the fans keep them when they go into the stands.

#4555852 - 02/12/21 06:44 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I don't mind it generally, the artificial crowd noise. Like you said it seems to be of varying quality and suitability. I do like also hearing the players communicate, which is unique perspective and insight not possible with vocal crowds.

I watch a lot of English soccer, and there they have it too, with even songs being sung as if from the terraces. Meh, I like both ways. Nothing beats a real, pumped crowd. But until that returns I'm OK with the interim solutions, both artificial and none at all. At first it was strange, but I quickly adapted. Every change is odd at first, I mean look now at footage from the 70s and 80s with no advertising on the boards. Remember what we all thought when we saw our first ad. Now it's far more alien without them.

About the tech pucks.... Early in the season I suspected something wasn't right with them. It looked like they lacked some slippery, but I couldn't tell if was the ice or the puck. I just guessed it was the ice surface. But the NHL stopped using them three weeks ago. Are they back? Not sure if they are/were more bouncy, I'd put that down to the ice usually. I think the NHL dropped them temporarily because they weren't sliding properly? Same pucks used in last season's playoff, I thought. But maybe they changed something in the manufacturing process for this year. As far as I know these pucks are still out of play.

#4555863 - 02/12/21 07:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Welcome back man smile

Yeah, we have a Wings fan and a Sens fan here, and while it's not a good time right now for either, things will only get better. Being at the bottom sucks, but it gives a team the tools to rise again, provided the GM isn't a moron, and the drafts have generational talent available. Look at the Leafs right now. Best team in the league so far. They hit it big on Matthews and Marner and adding a few key pieces through free agency and really turned it around. I know Wango Tango doesn't rate the GM, but from outside looking in the moves they've made look to have paid off. I know the team is cap heavy at the top, and a long term injury to one of those guys, or covid isolation could derail them. Andersen's a UFA next year, but Matthews, Marner and Tavares are all locked up through at least 2025.

Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Rielly were all drafted before Dubas was GM. Freddie Anderson was a Lou trade. Dubas did manage to get Tavares to come to Toronto though, although I don't think he did that on his own, Shanahan and Babcock were involved, Matthews and Marner too.
Simmonds, Spezza and Thornton look like good moves, but you are talking league minimum one year deals, Ontario boys wanting to come home, nothing ground shaking. His Kadri trade turned into Kerfoot, I'd rather have Kadri. It will be interesting to see how he handles the goaltending with Freddie contract up at the end of the year.
Dubas has yet to make a big boy move on his own that has succeeded. Only signing Matthews for 5 years was a mistake IMO. There is a clause that he cannot be traded in the last year of the deal. Should have signed him for 8. He is American and will probably of had his fill of the Toronto media overkill by then. If I was GM, I would trade him before the last year begins, or preferably extend him. No way you let that contract expire.
They may be 1st place right now, but I've watched every minute. They are still inconsistent period to period. Their high octane first 2 lines are why they win games.

#4555871 - 02/12/21 08:12 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good insight WT, thanks.

#4555885 - 02/12/21 10:17 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Good insight WT, thanks.

No problem, love talking hockey.
I always thought it would be cool to have a SimHQ Yahoo fantasy league. I don't know if we have 12 fans here though.

#4556291 - 02/16/21 02:46 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Shut up KK.

#4556329 - 02/16/21 02:11 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Shut up KK.

Ugh?

#4556330 - 02/16/21 02:21 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I didn't see the game but that must have been entertaining. Good win for the Sens.

#4556336 - 02/16/21 03:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Shut up KK.

Ugh?

Preemptive strike. biggrin

Being a Leafs fan, year after year........

#4556342 - 02/16/21 04:00 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
I will try to not call them the Griefs this year, unless they collapse late in the season.

#4556343 - 02/16/21 04:07 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
At least the Leafs wont have to play the Bruins in the first round this year.

I know, as a Wings fan I shouldn't say anything. biggrin

#4557158 - 02/22/21 03:36 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Well, another NHL out door games series done and over. I guess you could call it a success. IMHO, I think the out door game thing has been done to death. The setting for the games sure was nice this year though. Very beautiful scenery. I still think the players can't like playing on ice that isn't as good as an NHL game should be played on. The NHL was lucky no one got seriously injured this year. The games were good, and I liked the retro jerseys. Boston went full yellow, which seems to be a trend in the league now.

I heard this is NBC Sports last contract year with the NHL. I liked the way they did games. I'm going to miss Kathryn Tappen. I always liked the way she kept Jeremy Roenik in line. I hear the contract is going to ESPN through 2026. I just hope they don't put their politics into the game, but I'm sure they'll try.

Last edited by LB4LB; 02/22/21 03:42 AM.
#4557193 - 02/22/21 02:06 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I like the outdoor games, and from what I've seen the players do too, or did, anyway. Maybe they are just being gracious in interviews, but they tend to talk about how it reminds them of their roots playing pond hockey as a kid. The games are few enough that the NHL isn't overdoing it, and I think it's a good look for the most part, dangerous ice conditions notwithstanding.

#4557487 - 02/24/21 03:11 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Well it looks like the Sens are finally beginning to gel. Another fantastic game vs the Habs tonight with a shootout win and an OT win the other night vs the Habs That makes 3 losses in a row for Montreal.

#4557492 - 02/24/21 03:30 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Well it looks like the Sens are finally beginning to gel. Another fantastic game vs the Habs tonight with a shootout win and an OT win the other night vs the Habs That makes 3 losses in a row for Montreal.

I'm no Habs fan, but they got screwed. That goal should have counted. Ottawa has some good young talent. Now will they hang onto them when their entry level contracts are done ?

#4557494 - 02/24/21 03:33 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
We are almost at the half way mark of the regular season. With all the games in short periods of time and all the Covid rules, this is going to be one tough slog to the playoffs.

#4557497 - 02/24/21 03:36 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

I'm no Habs fan, but they got screwed. That goal should have counted. Ottawa has some good young talent. Now will they hang onto them when their entry level contracts are done ?

Well it is about time Ottawa had some calls go for them from the refs. biggrin

#4557498 - 02/24/21 03:38 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Trust me, I wanted Ottawa to win, the further the Habs are down in the standings the better.

#4557570 - 02/24/21 06:26 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Ottawa Senators, Coach-Killers (and not the way you'd usually think biggrin )

#4557584 - 02/24/21 07:33 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Ottawa can have Jeff Blashill. I don't think he can be killed (in the NHL sense). biggrin

#4557605 - 02/24/21 11:18 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs

#4557652 - 02/25/21 12:09 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Haha, that is sort of what I was getting at with my last post smile

#4559381 - 03/10/21 10:34 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Big changes for how you can watch hockey in U.S. next year. ESPN and Disney announced a seven year deal with the NHL. You know that only means one thing, you will have to pay more to watch the games and you will be forced to endure ESPN and DIsney's social agenda. Thank God I can still pick up the Leafs games on Saturday night with the antennae broadcast from CBC Windsor. I bet DIsney will put a stop to that too.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-espn-disney-reach-groundbreaking-seven-year-rights-deal/c-322346092

Attached Files Capture.PNG
#4559538 - 03/11/21 11:02 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
And they've been cracking down on reddit streams. Guess I'm giving up hockey.

#4561189 - 03/24/21 05:06 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
How about the NHL ref Peel's hot mic comment caught live during Wings/Preds game last night? NHL has suspended him indefinitely. He basically admitted to just making up a call to affect the game (it was a horrible call too). I have been saying for years now the refs in all major sports have become way to much of a factor in deciding games. With all the deluge of sports betting apps being shoved down peoples throats this is really bad for the NHL, along with other sports. Makes it all look just a little to fixed.

#4561191 - 03/24/21 05:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
He was fired, although he was set to retire April 1st anyway. Scapegoat.
Everyone know refs have been giving make up penalties. Is it right ? No.
Will it change ? I'd be surprised.
After every call, the opposing coach #%&*$# and moans. players squawk at the refs.
Should that influence them ? No, but it does. Maybe coaches should be penalized or fined for all that yelling at he ref.
I heard yesterday they are thinking of calling penalties from the war room. They think refs are missing calls, even though there are 2 of them now.

You make a good point LB4LB about the gambling on games. It cannot be seen to be influenced outside of the players.
It's in every sport though. Basketball is horrible for this.

#4561194 - 03/24/21 05:57 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
As much as I hate defending the top brass of the NHL (especially Bettman), I don't think they had any choice other than to fire Peele. From a PR perspective, they had to make this look like they have no tolerance for it (even though it's been going on forever). I think that calling penalties from the war room is a terrible idea. The war room still hasn't been able to establish a consistent record on allowing and disallowing goals. You might as well just flip a coin. With these much quieter rinks (with little to no fans) you would think that the guys out there would have learned by now to be more mindful of what they say out loud.

The NBA has been absolutely atrocious with this problem for decades too. IMHO, it's one of the main reasons that sport is unwatchable.

Last edited by LB4LB; 03/24/21 05:59 PM.
#4568317 - 05/13/21 09:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Plays off are starting.

Are the Leafs going to choke against the Habs?

#4568318 - 05/13/21 09:55 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Plays off are starting.

Are the Leafs going to choke against the Habs?

NOPE. Although I'm sure you will be hoping so.

Leafs in 5.

Montreal is not the same caliber as Boston, or Washington.

#4568319 - 05/13/21 09:59 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
It sucks having to wait until May 20th. Bloody covid screwed everything up.

#4568320 - 05/13/21 09:59 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think the Leaf's will win that series. I'm not sure yet if the Hab's new guy, Cole Caulfield, is for real or not. He could prove to be a problem for them.

I say it every year. IMHO, the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the most exciting sporting event there is. I think Carolina and Minnesota could be the big winner's this year.

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/13/21 10:00 PM.
#4568321 - 05/13/21 10:03 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Toronto added some toughness this year FINALLY. Simmonds and Foligno especially will bring an element that Toronto has lacked. Cole Caufield seems to have a great shot, and put up decent numbers in University hockey. He is so small though, he looks like a PeeWee player. Anything short of Carey Price tuning back the clock 7 years, the Leafs will win. Even if Price stands on his head, Montreal struggles to score.

#4568322 - 05/13/21 10:06 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I think the Leaf's will win that series. I'm not sure yet if the Hab's new guy, Cole Caulfield, is for real or not. He could prove to be a problem for them.

I say it every year. IMHO, the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs are the most exciting sporting event there is. I think Carolina and Minnesota could be the big winner's this year.

Yes, both Carolina and Minnesota look solid. So do Pittsburg, The Avs, Vegas. Boston found another gear after acquiring Taylor Hall. Tampa and Florida is going to be a great series. Tampa might get upset ?

#4568324 - 05/13/21 10:14 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I think the last Tampa vs. Florida regular season game looked like an old game from the 1970's or 80's. Tampa has some key injuries to deal with though. Everyone hoping for a Marchand / Wilson matchup too. I think the Av's are still a couple of key players away from going deep into the playoffs. Should be interesting how the NHL will handle the the final four matchups. Which division winner play which? Can a Canadian team go over the border? Can an American team go over it?

#4568327 - 05/13/21 10:32 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Sounds like The Canadian team will relocate to a US city. Some are guessing Chicago because of its central location.
Here's hoping the NHL can get 4 rounds in without covid being a factor. They pulled it off in the summer, I was very skeptical back then, but they did it.

#4568330 - 05/13/21 11:14 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

I was the reverse. I was very confident the NHL bubbles would work, due to the amount of work that went into it. They cut no corners and were almost manic about security and protocols.
They did what I proposed on this very forum: test every d@mn player/official/coach every d@mn day. Good for them! thumbsup

It was a real shame what happened to the Canucks, but just goes to show that bad things can happen even to the most prepared.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4568346 - 05/14/21 03:08 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas

Yes, both Carolina and Minnesota look solid. So do Pittsburg, The Avs, Vegas. Boston found another gear after acquiring Taylor Hall. Tampa and Florida is going to be a great series. Tampa might get upset ?

No Minnesota doesn't win playoffs. They may take a game or two in the first round, but that's it.

#4568371 - 05/14/21 01:00 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Boy, St. Louis spanks Minnesota 7-3.
Yes Minnesota will be in tough to beat Vegas.

#4568416 - 05/14/21 06:53 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I must have missed something. Why is Colorado the President's Trophy winner? They had the same amount of points as Vegas, and Vegas has one more regulation win than Colorado? Shouldn't regulation wins be the tie breaker?

#4568440 - 05/14/21 08:35 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: LB4LB]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I must have missed something. Why is Colorado the President's Trophy winner? They had the same amount of points as Vegas, and Vegas has one more regulation win than Colorado? Shouldn't regulation wins be the tie breaker?

I figured it out. Avalanche had 35 regulation wins, Vegas 30.
The "Win" column includes OT wins.

#4568451 - 05/14/21 09:37 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Thanks WT. I should know better than just going by NHL.com. biggrin

Once again I will state my dislike for afternoon hockey games, especially playoff games. The noon starts are just awful. How can you get mean enough to play playoff hockey by noon? charge

#4568461 - 05/14/21 10:47 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I hate afternoon playoff games as well. The weather is too nice outside to be watching TV.

#4568694 - 05/17/21 12:21 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: LB4LB]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
Thanks WT. I should know better than just going by NHL.com. biggrin

Once again I will state my dislike for afternoon hockey games, especially playoff games. The noon starts are just awful. How can you get mean enough to play playoff hockey by noon? charge

Duh, by noon there's still only 35% through the hangover from the night before. That's just enough to be functional while achieving maximum crankiness.

Vegas vs Minnesota, what a display of goaltending, from both teams. Minnesota played like crap the first period though.

#4568723 - 05/17/21 10:24 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The Battle of Florida was quite the roller coaster game with Tampa coming out on top in the end.

#4568756 - 05/17/21 02:25 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
They Florida Tampa games was great from a fan's point of few. The coaches couldn't have been too happy about it. With Kucherov and Stamkos back, Tampa's power play looked incredible. I still think Florida got ripped off on that first goal that was waived off.

#4568854 - 05/18/21 02:27 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Wow ten thousand fans at the Hurricanes game, very nice to see.

#4568858 - 05/18/21 03:17 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Yep, it sure is great to see hockey with a big crowd making lots of noise. I especially liked when the crowd at the Tampa / Florida game last night started chanting "ref you suck !!!" after a bad call. It was good old fashioned playoff hockey. I hated the whole synthetic crowd noise thing.

#4568861 - 05/18/21 03:39 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Tampa Bay Lightning tickets are serious high dollar items.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4569257 - 05/20/21 04:59 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Nazim Kadri and the playoffs, guaranteed suspension. I love the guys passion, but d*mn, he does dumb sh*t come playoff time.

Last edited by WangoTango; 05/20/21 05:03 PM. Reason: bad words
#4569381 - 05/21/21 01:44 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Kadri had better get a handle on that stuff. He keeps costing his team playoff wins by getting 5 minute major penalties and game suspensions, his money making potential is going to go way down. I still can't believe the Panthers won last night. What happened to Toronto and Edmonton? I can't tell you how many times I have seen a talented team come up short in game one of a first round series only to never catch up in the end. The Wing's used to do that all the time.

#4569390 - 05/21/21 02:12 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Horrible injury to John Tavares, Freak accident, he is lucky his neck is not broken. It really took the buzz out of game one.
Corey Perry is one dirty SOB, but in no way was this intentional. I thought Foligno giving him a beat down at the next drop of the puck was really unnecessary, and I love fighting in hockey. Hoping for a speedy recovery for Tavares. But at minimum he has to have a concussion.

#4569426 - 05/21/21 06:39 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Corey Perry was one dirty player in his day, not so much now. There was a day when I liked watching him lose in a fight. Although he didn't really fight too much. He got a way with way too much. The hit on Tavares was scary as hell to watch, but I don't think Perry did intentionally either. It looked lik at the very least he will have one of those nagging neck injuries that wont heal any time soon. Too bad, Tavares is key for the Leafs and a classy player.

#4569428 - 05/21/21 06:46 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Yes, JT is all class and huge leader on this team. Tough break for the Leafs, but injuries happen. They have to find a way to rally behind this and overcome.

#4569515 - 05/22/21 02:11 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
what is up with the Oilers? Down 2 games to the Pegs.

#4569517 - 05/22/21 02:57 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Shutting down the two big stars from Edmonton is impressive. The rest of that team has to step up. Every year in the playoffs the hot teams have third or fourth lines that produce. Can't win with just two guys.

#4569521 - 05/22/21 04:08 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Winnipeg looked lousy heading into the playoffs. Hellebuyck allowed only 1 goal in 71 shots on net. Edmonton held to 1 goal in 2 games. The first round is always so hard to predict.

Kadri got 8 games.

#4569585 - 05/23/21 02:15 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Much better game from the Buds tonight. 5-1 Toronto
Montreal took a lot of bonehead penalties including a goalie interference call gone wrong.

#4569589 - 05/23/21 02:43 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Flipped between that game and Vegas Minnesota. I think its a #%&*$# shame that the Canadian government wont let any fans in the stands for their games. Can you at least go to a bar and watch, or those still shutdown too?

#4569630 - 05/23/21 01:18 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Bars are still shutdown in Ontario.

#4569639 - 05/23/21 02:24 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I wonder how many Canadian fans will travel to the final four venue to see "home games" for the north division playoff winner?

#4569772 - 05/24/21 01:59 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The Oilers blow a 4-1 lead in the 3rd period to lose 5-4 in overtime. Ouch, now they are down 3 games to none.

#4569774 - 05/24/21 02:18 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
That Vegas Minnesota game was awful. The sooner Vegas knocks those sorry fools out, the better for everybody.

#4569776 - 05/24/21 02:58 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The Avalanche (4:0) and Bruins (4:1) advance to the next round.

#4569879 - 05/25/21 10:44 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Oilers gone in 4 in triple OT loss.

#4569909 - 05/25/21 04:56 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Oilers gone in 4 in triple OT loss.

3 of the 4 games went to OT. I would have lost money on that series. Winnipeg limped into the playoffs.

#4569917 - 05/25/21 07:55 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
The further the Leafs go in the playoffs, I can live with their fans as it has been such a long drought for them. Now the Toronto Sports Network will even more insufferable than normal. biggrin

#4569919 - 05/25/21 08:34 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees

I guess baseball stadiums also... Can you go to Trudeau rallies?

Just amazing. The bars in my town have been open since last April. Nobody went out of business, we are full of old people and doing great.

I watched the Phil Mickelson show in one this past weekend. Some hockey and baseball also. Saw the Tampa Bay Rays kick the Toronto Buffalo Blue Jays butt yesterday.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4569920 - 05/25/21 08:38 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The further the Leafs go in the playoffs, I can live with their fans as it has been such a long drought for them. Now the Toronto Sports Network will even more insufferable than normal. biggrin

Sportsnet broadcasts are anti Toronto. Cuthbert can't hide his Hab love. Kissing Carey Price's ass, acting like Cole Caufield is the second coming of Auston Matthews. I rarely watch anything but the game. The intermissions and pre game has gotten too political. With today being the one year anniversary of that wonderful family man's death, I'm sure it will be nauseating.

#4569925 - 05/25/21 09:11 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: Nixer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Nixer

I guess baseball stadiums also... Can you go to Trudeau rallies?

Just amazing. The bars in my town have been open since last April. Nobody went out of business, we are full of old people and doing great.

I watched the Phil Mickelson show in one this past weekend. Some hockey and baseball also. Saw the Tampa Bay Rays kick the Toronto Buffalo Blue Jays butt yesterday.

Yeah, can't help but feel this has been a big scam (or at least a great overreaction). Sick of the lockdown. June 2nd is the date (Ontario), unless it is extended again.

#4570265 - 05/28/21 12:37 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas
It seems Minnesota has proved me wrong and we got ourselves a 7 game series.

#4570282 - 05/28/21 04:08 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: wormfood]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by wormfood
It seems Minnesota has proved me wrong and we got ourselves a 7 game series.

Very impressive against a strong Las Vegas team.

#4570436 - 05/30/21 03:38 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Another year, another Leafs choke.

#4570457 - 05/30/21 10:17 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

Still is a game 7. Do you have aspirin and nitro spray or pills handy?

#4570516 - 05/30/21 06:09 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

Still is a game 7. Do you have aspirin and nitro spray or pills handy?

Even if they mange to win game 7,Winnipeg is waiting to hand them their asses.

#4570607 - 06/01/21 02:11 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
And the Leafs choke again. Anyone surprised ?

#4570643 - 06/01/21 01:26 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
My sincerest condolences Wango on your loss. Price was "hot". I really thought this would be the year the Leafs would go far. I am not being sarcastic either.

Time to get behind the Pegs.

#4570648 - 06/01/21 03:07 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Thanks KK. But I think I really am done with Leafs this time. I know I said this last year lol. I think I may be done with the NHL in general. I don't like direction the league has taken over the last few years. It has become very political and preachy (BLM, LGBKLMNOP). I even cancelled my satellite, I won't be watching the rest of the playoffs. I'm not in any hockey pools, so I really have no great interest.
Bottom line, the only thing guaranteed being a Leafs fan is failure and disapointment.
Any other relationship I would have left years ago. I am not making the emotional commitment anymore.

#4570667 - 06/01/21 06:31 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
I will keep watching as long as the Pegs are playing.

#4570689 - 06/01/21 11:47 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

Ottawa's future is looking good for you at least KK. If it was an 82 game season, they would have made the playoffs.

#4570690 - 06/01/21 11:56 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Our little upstart lightning, I know, colonials and immigrants, are still a factor.

Not bad for a town where wanting to be a surfer (long drive), and pick up hot chicks is a kids dream. Well versus, new teeth at 20 and a nose like Cyrano.

Lightning for the Win! yep

The Ultimate hat trick... The Lightning win the cup, the Rays the series and, god it hurts to root for him, Brady and the Buc's do it again. Almost last year...

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4570692 - 06/02/21 12:59 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

Ottawa's future is looking good for you at least KK. If it was an 82 game season, they would have made the playoffs.

Yes it is and such a young team. They never know when they are beat, like the Jays. Melnyk is the question mark.

#4570711 - 06/02/21 12:17 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I really thought this would be the year the Leafs would go far. I am not being sarcastic either.

Same here. Not that I necessarily thought they were a lock for the Cup, but they looked to have the firepower, roster depth and solid goaltending needed to go deep. This one has to hurt more than most, condolences to Leafs fans.

#4570906 - 06/04/21 01:44 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Sheifele receives a 4 game suspension for his hit on Evans. Ouch. Poor choice by him and will hurt the Jets

I heard rumors that Sheifele has been receiving death threats. Write that on the chalk board in the Jets dressing room

#4571202 - 06/07/21 06:33 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Habs up 3-0 on the Pegs. Who would have thought that?

Hopefully COL and VGN (tied 2-2) will beat each other up. BOS and NYI are also beating each other up. Should make it easier for the TAMPA in the next round.

Prediction, the HABs take the Cup home.

#4571205 - 06/07/21 07:21 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I can't believe how low intensity the Pegs have been in this series. Really surprising. I think the Habs could give either VGK or the Avs a real good series, maybe even win it, but that's it. The Lightning are starting to look more and more like a machine each game. I don't see anybody beating them, even though I would love someone do it.

#4571217 - 06/07/21 08:18 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I think reality hits Montreal next round. They caught a break with Tavares being out of the first round 10 minutes into game one, also Winnipeg missing their best player, Scheifele. I can't see Montreal beating any of the US teams.

#4571219 - 06/07/21 08:35 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ah to bring back the good old days

Attached Files nhl_a_bobcts_576x324.jpg
#4571222 - 06/07/21 08:46 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: carrick58]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by carrick58
Ah to bring back the good old days

I wish.

#4571239 - 06/08/21 02:52 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Friggin New York Islanders. I didn't see that coming.

#4571240 - 06/08/21 02:57 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Yeah, suddenly the Islanders are a scoring team. I still can't believe my eyes.

Congrats to the Habs. I hope the Canadian government lets their next series play out without screwing with it too much. I never liked the whole alternative site in the U.S. idea for the north division winner.

#4571241 - 06/08/21 03:04 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: LB4LB]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Yeah, suddenly the Islanders are a scoring team. I still can't believe my eyes.

Congrats to the Habs. I hope the Canadian government lets their next series play out without screwing with it too much. I never liked the whole alternative site in the U.S. idea for the north division winner.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/canada-quarantine-exemption-nhl-playoffs

#4571244 - 06/08/21 04:03 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
If Montreal wins the Cup, I am never watching hockey again.

#4571299 - 06/08/21 09:38 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
If Montreal wins the Cup, I am never watching hockey again.

Oh c'mon now. You'll still watch. I said the same thing after watching Pittsburgh win it all, and then win it again. I keep coming back. Even with all the social activism crap the NHL has been shoving on our faces.

I don't mind the Habs so much. I always love an original six team.

What do you think, will Rask be back in net for next Boston game? I say, yes he will.

#4571308 - 06/08/21 10:20 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I've endured too much form being a Leafs fan. I think I will always cheer for them, but believe in them ?? How can I ?
Kyle Dubas has traded away the first round picks for 2019, 2020, 2021. And they are going to let him be a lame duck GM next year ? he will trade 2022's picks to save his @ss.
I don't mind Montreal as a team, it's their arrogant obnoxious fans.

Bill Burr nails Toronto and Montreal fans. (go to 13:00)

#4571372 - 06/09/21 11:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Bill Burr is right, Leafs fans just keep coming back for more. But that happens every where. The Detroit Lions sucker people in every year. It's actually comical. I thought the Leafs organization had hit it's low point when that fan threw his jersey on the ice after another early playoff exit years ago, but maybe not just yet. That GM has go to go, for sure. Just be hope full you don't get a Ken Holland in his place. There aren't many great GM to chose from. I'm sure Bill Burr has no love loss for Montreal fans, being from Boston himself. Watching that Vegas / Avs game last night, I don't think the Habs have a chance of getting to the final, Gary Price or no Gary Price.

#4571382 - 06/10/21 03:31 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America. it really is just a supply and demand thing. The Toronto area could support 3 NHL teams.
Very surprised to see the Islanders beat Boston, good for them.
Montreal is not getting through Las Vegas. I can't wait. There are some extremely obnoxious (imagine that) Hab fans on Twitter. When they were down 3 games to 1 to Toronto they were calling it an asterisks season anyway lol.

#4571648 - 06/13/21 08:45 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California

#4571697 - 06/13/21 09:48 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Lightning were pretty much out-classed the the Islanders.

Most Islander shots were more of a threat vs Lightning shots on goal IMO.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4571700 - 06/13/21 10:03 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Game 1 afternoon games always have one team that isn't quite awake yet. That's why I hate afternoon playoff games. Islanders played with more energy. The refs sure tried their best to help out Tampa in the last few minutes. That penalty call was a joke. Tired off the refs in every sport now having to make themselves part of the out come of a game. The NHL really needs to crack down.

#4572177 - 06/18/21 05:26 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
LOL, Habs fans.
[Linked Image]

#4572179 - 06/18/21 05:41 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

That's what makes poutine so special. biggrin

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4572665 - 06/24/21 05:22 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
So will les Habs finish off the Knight tonite?

Will it be Tampa or Islanders?

#4572667 - 06/24/21 05:39 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Montreal is winning every puck battle with the Knights.Vegas looks tired. Fluery has looked shaky all series. I can't believe it, but I think the Habs are going to the Cup Finals. The Islander game last night was great. What a way to close down that old barn. They won't be back though. Tampa will win game 7, and then go on to beat Montreal in 6 games.

Just a wild guess.....

#4572677 - 06/24/21 06:36 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Herman Offline
Herman  Offline

What a shame for all the dirty play, such as the cross-check that took Kucherov from the game. Watching that guy alone, is worth the price of admission.

ScenShare Guidelines :

1) Enjoy creating it
2) Enjoy playing it
3) Enjoy sharing it

#4572693 - 06/24/21 09:19 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Can't get the Lightning v Islanders on my free VPN fueled net TV. cuss

I guess I may have to take a taxi in the rain to go watch it downtown, the daily deluge will probably put the Kabosh on my bike. Tropical downpour right now as I type this, at least an inch of rain in the last 30 minutes.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4572730 - 06/25/21 11:20 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

#4583410 - 10/23/21 02:30 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Maybe time to fire this back up? The Flyers haven't collapsed yet, so I still have interest. I started off enthusiastically last year, but their second-half meltdown killed it for me and I stopped posting in this thread. They're off to a good start this season, but will it continue? Unlikely smile

A few comments and observations so far

I doubt anyone noticed, but the Flyers pulled off an off-season transaction that boiled me blood, it did. They traded defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere to the Coyotes. Nothing earth shattering there. He's a decent player, never quite panned out in Philly for him, becoming a scratch more often than not. But what boils my bottom is what they got in return. But it gets worse!

You might say, well DBond must not like who or what they got in return, and you'd be right!

Because they got NOTHING in return. But it gets worse!

They also sent a fifth and seventh round pick in 2022 just to have Ghost taken off their hands. Madness.So they traded a player and two picks, for nothing!

Salary cap relief you say? Well then that's management mismanagement, isn't it? Bah, the Flyers.

Surprised to see both the Canadiens and the Islanders off to bad starts.

#4583422 - 10/23/21 03:59 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
And by some miracle, the Sabres are actually looking like a viable NHL club. Of course it's early, there is still plenty of time for the clown show aspect of the team to assert itself!!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4583425 - 10/23/21 04:13 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Haven't the Sabres started out hot the last few seasons ?

This last off season had to be one of the most busiest as far as trades I can ever remember. There is bound to be some deals that turn out to be clunkers. I cannot believe how many long term big contracts guys are getting. It seems those kind of contracts have hamstrung more than a few teams over the last decade..

The Habs are sure struggling without Price.Hope he can get the help he needs.

The injury bug has hit early this. Kucherov is hurt again, but I'm sure he will be back for the playoffs to wreak havoc. I was really looking forward to watching Jacob Vrana play for the WIngs this year. They look like they have improved but we still have Blashill as a coach and the worst soccer flopper, prima donna in the league Dylan Larkin as captain, so there is way to go.

One thing for sure, it is great to see the fans in the stands having a good time again. It's very refreshing too see.

Last edited by LB4LB; 10/23/21 04:13 PM.
#4583455 - 10/23/21 08:27 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Gotta be honest - the Sabres have been such a dumpster fire over the last few years I haven't really paid much attention to them. But I happened to notice they won their first three games and thought maybe
they have a chance at being credible. Finally!

And I was a season ticket holder not too long ago!

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 10/23/21 08:28 PM.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4583456 - 10/23/21 09:03 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Vince H Offline
Vince H  Offline

Columbus, OH by way of Aiken, ...
We are 3 and 1! We got the Carolina Hurricanes tonite at seven! Go Blue Jackets!

-V

#4583517 - 10/24/21 04:55 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo

The Sabres have sort of been like the Flyers over the past few seasons, flattering to deceive with good starts and second half collapses. Was it last year or the year before the Sabres had the best record in the east at Christmas or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong about that but they got off to a very hot start.

I don't expect much out of the Flyers. As always they have some good pieces, but they've struggled over the years with roster building. I never seem to have any faith in the front office, the hires tend to be establishment, or former players, too much of a sense of nepotism. Cap mismanagement, as the transaction I just talked about shows. Free agent misses.

Giroux's an exceptional player, and guys like Nolan Patrick and Ivan Provorov have a lot of upside. Couturier is the sort of player every team needs. So much hinges on Carter Hart. He went from sure-fire future Vezina winner to one of the worst keepers in the league from his rookie year to last year. His numbers are good so far, so I hope he gets back on track. But overall I think the Flyers lack the depth and quality to do much this year.

#4583518 - 10/24/21 05:02 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Nepotism is rampant in the NHL. NHL stands for Nepotism Hockey League. It seems half of the league are players who's fathers played. Front office guys get contracts for their kids even if there is no chance they will play one day (case in point,Chris Draper in Detroit got his kid a contract). I'm sure other sports are like that too. Just the nature of the beast, I guess.

Last edited by LB4LB; 10/24/21 05:02 PM.
#4583519 - 10/24/21 05:28 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
What has happened to the Maple Griefs? Yes it is early but they showed so much promise at the end of last year/

#4583530 - 10/24/21 08:02 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
What has happened to the Maple Griefs? Yes it is early but they showed so much promise at the end of last year/

What went wrong ? start here.
[Linked Image]

#4583552 - 10/25/21 09:33 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY

The Sabres have sort of been like the Flyers over the past few seasons, flattering to deceive with good starts and second half collapses. Was it last year or the year before the Sabres had the best record in the east at Christmas or something like that. Maybe I'm wrong about that but they got off to a very hot start..

Yeah that happened a few years ago. They went on a franchise record winning season and fell like a house of cards after that. Poor GM and coaching hires have plagued the team. Funny thing is they are owned by Terry Pegula, the same guy who owns the Bills. He nailed his GM and coach and the Bills are now one of the best run teams in the league. The Sabres couldn’t be farther away from that. New coach and newer GM this year, so we shall see…..

-Robert Heinlein
#4583587 - 10/25/21 02:41 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
start here.

The purse?

I hear ya JC, and yeah the Bills are looking good. Buffalo fans have suffered too long and it's good to see.

#4583588 - 10/25/21 02:50 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
Vince H Offline
Vince H  Offline

Columbus, OH by way of Aiken, ...
We got the Dallas Stars tonite at home at seven! Go Blue Jackets!

-V

#4583592 - 10/25/21 04:20 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Yeah DBond, the purse. The recent relaxed dress code. It is symbolic of a team trying too hard to be ahead of the curve. Dubas, Keefe and Shanahan have to go. This team has no heart. Their vision failed.

I fully expect Freddie Anderson to stand on his head tonight.

#4583594 - 10/25/21 04:53 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, I hope it gets better for your sake, the core is there to do big things. But that can be said about the Flyers and most underachieving teams I suppose. But yeah, I thought this was a Leafs team on the rise, and they've kinda stunk it up so far this year. Not out of it, but a -7 goal differential after just six games hints toward fundamental flaws. Plenty of time to right the ship.

#4583600 - 10/25/21 05:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs

What went wrong ? start here.
[Linked Image]

Austun Matthews outfit complete with a Guuci leather man bag is perfect for the up and coming young urbanite on the move. Weather your about to go for a leisurely skate around the rink or a photo shoot on your way to cash a million dollar paycheck, his outfit just says fun! Ugh.... biggrin

Wayne SImmonds can be the answer that soft team needs. But at least they can still beat up the Wings. biggrin

#4583623 - 10/25/21 07:32 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The Leafs lack passion. Nobody seems to get pissed off.

#4583693 - 10/26/21 08:49 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
That surprises me - they were tearing up the league a couple years ago, weren't they? I thought for sure they were on the rise.

-Robert Heinlein
#4583695 - 10/26/21 08:56 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
That surprises me - they were tearing up the league a couple years ago, weren't they? I thought for sure they were on the rise.

The regular season. Not when it matters, the playoffs.

#4583702 - 10/26/21 09:45 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
wormfood Online content
wormfood  Online Content

Texas

Just like every Minnesota team.

#4583703 - 10/26/21 10:15 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: WangoTango]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY

Playoff hockey is almost like a different sport.

-Robert Heinlein
#4583704 - 10/26/21 10:16 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
That's why they call it the second season.

#4583778 - 10/28/21 02:41 AM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Leaf finally win.

#4583882 - 10/29/21 01:16 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Quenneville resigned over the assault allegations.

This reportedly occurred in 2010, when the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the final.

I think the Blackhawks will have to vacate the trophy right? The Flyers will be crowned champions biggrin

11 years is a lot better than 46 years.

#4583888 - 10/29/21 03:05 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: DBond]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Quenneville resigned over the assault allegations.

This reportedly occurred in 2010, when the Blackhawks beat the Flyers in the final.

I think the Blackhawks will have to vacate the trophy right? The Flyers will be crowned champions biggrin

11 years is a lot better than 46 years.

What an ugly situation. People want to hang everyone involved with that team. I think management needs to answer, as they were aware. But the people going after players that were 20, 21 at the time, give me a break. You imagine being that age and going up against a huge corporation that gave you your lifelong dream ? actually competing for the Stanley Cup ? I give the young players a pass personally.
The guy was the f'n video coach. He should have been arrested and fired immediately.

#4584979 - 11/11/21 04:21 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Another scandal has popped up, this one involving Ducks' GM Bob Murray who resigned and is to enter alcohol rehab (he says). Reports indicate he was abusive to people in the organization, but I've not seen any details. What did he do?

The Flyers continue to keep their head above water, 6-3-2 at this point. The Metro is looking like a very stacked division, only one team (Rangers) with a negative goal differential so far. Pittsburgh, who haven't played terribly, but have lost their last two, are sat in last. The strength in this division is going to make it hard for the Flyers to emerge at the end of the year.

The key so far has been goaltending. It's the Flyers you say, that can't be true! But hear me out. Hart's been much better than a year ago, with a 2.49 GAA and a .924 SV%. Backup martin Jones has been even better, in limited action, with a 1.67 and .950. As a team that's 2.46 and .931, which is good in this league. If the 'keepers can keep it up the Flyers should be in with a shout come playoff time.

#4584981 - 11/11/21 04:57 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
You guys might know about this channel. It's pretty cool. The guy breaks down the NHL pretty well.

#4584984 - 11/11/21 05:27 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the heads up!

#4584988 - 11/11/21 06:04 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Yes, thanks LB4LB.
Man, that is a lot of work for one guy to do every day.
I'll give him a try.

#4585366 - 11/17/21 06:27 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The Flyers keep confounding me, now 4-2-1 both at home and on the road. I still don't expect much, so it's a nice surprise, but I reckon they've a collapse in them smile

I want to mention the newest HoF inductees. Iginla was a lock, fully deserving. Not only a deadly sniper on the ice, but by all reports a consumate pro and teammate. He has the stats to validate his inclusion.

Hossa was not a lock, but 525 goals is enough to get you in. And it should be.

Those make sense.

But Kevin Lowe? I've nothing against him personally. He did the dirty work (in a good way) for those dominant Oilers teams. Every team needs guys like Lowe. But Hall of Fame? No way. This induction really lowers the bar and I struggle to see why he was inducted. He went 19 years NOT being inducted, but suddenly he is worthy? I appreciate grit and glue, and don't want the Hall of Fame to only include players who lit up the scoresheet. But even so, Kevin Lowe is not worthy based on his career stats in my opinion

These guys were actually voted in two years ago, but the pandemic put the brakes on until this year..

#4585371 - 11/17/21 07:39 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: KraziKanuK]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I did always have respect for Kevin Lowes game, so I have to say I don't have much of a problem with his induction. Maybe part of the reason is what he has done for the game after his playing days. That's just a guess. I really don't much about that part of his career.

#4585372 - 11/17/21 08:08 PM Re: NHL hockey has started [Re: LB4LB]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Maybe part of the reason is what he has done for the game after his playing days.

I hope not.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.