#4552185 - 01/14/21 01:27 AM Updated product review: Bunn Coffee Maker  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
[edit]

The stuff below is designed to get folks to talk about good products that have lasted a really long time more than anything else.

[/edit]

I guess it's buried in the Deep History of this forum, but around ten years ago I made a review of the home Bunn coffee maker.

Indeed, they no longer make this exact model, but one that looks the same besides some cosmetics.

To recap, the good:

Darned thing makes coffee right now. Fill the basket with grounds, put it in,* fill the thermos pot with water, pour it in the machine, put it under the basket,** close the top, and it starts making coffee.
Fast and hot - total brewing time is about 4-6 minutes, and the coffee is just the right amount of hot.

The weird:

The power switch is labelled as a "vacation mode selector," as what makes it so fast is that it's heating the water for the brew and the water one is pouring in is for the next pot.

How's it holding up?

Darned thing is bullet proof. This is something I use almost every day, and with zero maintenance is still pumping out piping hot coffee.
Yes, I need to go ahead and do a good cleaning on it, but that would mean not being able to use it to make coffee for hours and hours.

The thermal carafe has gotten weaker, though - it only keeps the coffee hot for a couple hours. If it's going to be a long day, I transfer it to a Stanley Thermos, which will keep coffee hot for ten hours.

I'm posting this because I was singing the praise of the coffee machine this morning (yes, literally. I make up little happy songs about little happy things from time to time), and my wife called me a big weirdo, at which I gave a rousing defense of the machine. smile

* If one doesn't put the basket back in, piping hot water will spray in many directions for a surprising distance.
** Same as above, but piping hot coffee will pour all over the counter in a steady stream.

Last edited by Dart; 01/14/21 01:40 AM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4552255 - 01/14/21 02:45 PM Re: Updated product review: Bunn Coffee Maker [Re: Dart]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Yeah I use one at work, it must be at least 11 yrs old. Works great. Everytime.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4552264 - 01/14/21 04:01 PM Re: Updated product review: Bunn Coffee Maker [Re: Dart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I use a Nespresso at home. I could never go back to a standard coffee maker.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4552266 - 01/14/21 04:31 PM Re: Updated product review: Bunn Coffee Maker [Re: Dart]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
The thermal carafe has gotten weaker, though - it only keeps the coffee hot for a couple hours. If it's going to be a long day, I transfer it to a Stanley Thermos, which will keep coffee hot for ten hours.

We've had Bunn for over a decade (got it as a gift). First thing every morning -- I walk into the kitchen and make the coffee. 2'd thing, I take the coffee to the PC and start perusing the technical sites. Somewhere along the way, my wife gets up smile

We noticed the same thing regarding carafe -- does not stay hot all day. So, a few years ago we put the carafe Bunn in storage (for emergencies) and got the version with the glass "pot" and heating base that keeps the coffee ready to drink all day. I do rinse the entire mechanism out every year or so using a solution that dissolves hard water residue that builds up over a year.

That Bunn is one of the few things that "just does its job -- day in, day out", And does it right -- with minimal maintenance.

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4552272 - 01/14/21 05:03 PM Re: Updated product review: Bunn Coffee Maker [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

That was my Wife's Christmas present. Tasty tasty coffee

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4552273 - 01/14/21 05:13 PM Re: Updated product review: Bunn Coffee Maker [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

That was my Wife's Christmas present. Tasty tasty coffee

You most definitely treat your wife well Bill! smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.