Hop To
#4550634 - 01/04/21 01:21 PM "The Void"  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Has anyone here ever travelled to the Milky Way sector known as "The Void"? Is there anything of interest to see there?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4551063 - 01/06/21 10:51 PM Re: "The Void" [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
James is our group’s long distance explo guy. Next time I see him on TS, I’ll inquire. Last time I saw him, he was 65k out.

#4551150 - 01/07/21 12:50 PM Re: "The Void" [Re: Bohemond]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bohemond
James is our group’s long distance explo guy. Next time I see him on TS, I’ll inquire. Last time I saw him, he was 65k out.

Thanks! I did read about "The Void" sector on the Elite Dangerous Wiki website but there wasn't much info at all.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4551758 - 01/11/21 10:38 AM Re: "The Void" [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

I haven't been there (furthest for me are the Errant Marches and Sagittarius Carina Arm), but I think it's just a more or less generic region. Certain space lifeforms are limited to certain regions, but as EDSM seems to be down for maintenance, I can't check whether there is something special in that respect. Otherwise, I guess you can experience the same edge of the galaxy emptiness, that you can get in any other edge region. I think it's also no candidate for certain "galactical" records, like system furthest from SagA*.

Last edited by WhoCares; 01/11/21 10:42 AM.
#4551766 - 01/11/21 11:52 AM Re: "The Void" [Re: WhoCares]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WhoCares
I haven't been there (furthest for me are the Errant Marches and Sagittarius Carina Arm), but I think it's just a more or less generic region. Certain space lifeforms are limited to certain regions, but as EDSM seems to be down for maintenance, I can't check whether there is something special in that respect. Otherwise, I guess you can experience the same edge of the galaxy emptiness, that you can get in any other edge region. I think it's also no candidate for certain "galactical" records, like system furthest from SagA*.

Thanks for this info. I've already visited SagA+ and I've visited most of the well known nebulas so it would be nice to discover some new things.

Maybe one day Frontier will release a Sombrero Galaxy DLC? I know it's 30 million LY away from the Milky Way but you know, you just take it one day at a time with the jumps and you'll eventually get there. biggrin

#4551801 - 01/11/21 03:54 PM Re: "The Void" [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Thanks for this info. I've already visited SagA+ and I've visited most of the well known nebulas so it would be nice to discover some new things.

Maybe one day Frontier will release a Sombrero Galaxy DLC? I know it's 30 million LY away from the Milky Way but you know, you just take it one day at a time with the jumps and you'll eventually get there. biggrin

Well, they can always introduce the Infinite Improbability Drive that could get us to a new galaxy in an instant, difficult to control where it gets you exactly, but you can't be picky.
Nice thing would be that they could address some galaxy gerneration pecularities, like the Borg cube sectors and such stuff. Would also be a clean sheet for new "Bubble mechanics" regarding populated systems, relations, growth, ...
But then again, we only yet discovered a tiny fraction of the Milky Way, at least for the latter part there would be plenty of room to establish something new within it's confines...

#4551830 - 01/11/21 05:05 PM Re: "The Void" [Re: WhoCares]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

But then again, we only yet discovered a tiny fraction of the Milky Way, at least for the latter part there would be plenty of room to establish something new within it's confines...

This is a great point. The last time I checked the stats, it was much less than 1 percent of the Milky Way which has been discovered so far by the entire ED community. That is quite a striking thing to think about.

#4552010 - 01/12/21 05:30 PM Re: "The Void" [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
It's a big place. I jumped only 2k LY out from the bubble and found a handful of unmapped planets (discovered, but nobody had flown over to take a look).

#4552717 - 01/18/21 05:35 PM Re: "The Void" [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I haven't been beyond Colonia. Not sure I'll ever surpass that frankly. Exploration is neat, but not something I look to do all that often. More of a bucket list sort of thing. Maybe one day I'll go deeper. But most of what i like about the game is in the bubble.

Maybe the update will give me reasons to get out there?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.