Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4550855 - 01/05/21 08:06 PM Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?"  
LvAicha Offline
LvAicha  Offline

As the title suggests, I'm starting to look into mods for this game with an emphasis on making it as true to life as possible. That in mind, does anyone have any recommendations? What are your must-have mods where realism is concerned?

Thanks and good day!

#4550868 - 01/05/21 09:31 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
The complete consolidated facilities mod package is highly recommended. It populates the airfields and includes well-modelled versions of many famous aerodromes. It also includes the Vauban fortresses at Lille and around Verdun, plus Havrincourt Wood (commonly referred to as Mossy Face Wood). Be sure you have downloaded the complete OBD skins package from the Woff website. There are other skin packages available on the main mod website (link on Woff website). You may be interested in the version 6.5 add-on flight model pack by VonS. While he has included some fairly rare variants, some of his models help to keep things historical. For example, early RFC Spad 7s were the 150 horsepower models, while the vanilla version in the sim is the 180 horsepower model. This mod package allows you to tweak things accordingly. It's creator has a thread on the forum about which models to use when for the historical DiD campaigns that you will find helpful.

As an absolute must, download the collection of maps made by RAF_Louvert. They show the landscape the way it appears in the game and allow you to navigate properly from the map without needing the big fuzzy in-game map. They also include more accurate names for towns and villages that appear in the game.

The news mod will update the newspapers that appear in game and will add more historical events.

Good luck!

#4550874 - 01/05/21 09:58 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

+ a great big one on the facilities and Lou's maps.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4550880 - 01/05/21 10:17 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: Raine]  
epower Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp
epower  Offline
Artless Aide-de-camp

Excellent suggestions all.

Originally Posted by Raine
The news mod will update the newspapers that appear in game and will add more historical events.

Oh hell, I had it in my mind that the news mod was rolled into a recent official patch. Good thing I haven't played 370+ hours without it these past 8 months...D'Oh!

Downloading now.

Last edited by epower; 01/05/21 10:17 PM.
#4550881 - 01/05/21 10:26 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
VonS Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac
VonS  Offline
WWI Flight Sims on a Mac

Can't really add much to what Raine and vonBaur have already posted - except to indicate that RJW's (and Lou's) airfield facilities and objects mod package is a must-have. Also excellent, among other mods., is JJJ's historical aircraft and/or airfields mod. that also requires his fine Mission Ed. - to populate airfields with static (and flying) aircraft relevant to years/months in which they were used. As well check over JJJ's MultiMod - which allows you further to fine-tune atmospherics, gun accuracy, etc. (here's a sample from the MultiMod tweaks I use: https://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/download/Number/21614/filename/multimodlatestsettings.jpg). For improved cloud type variation and weather of all sorts - check out BuckeyeBob's cloud mod. (ver. 3.0 is required for the Plat. Ed. of WOFF). For my FM mods., as Raine has suggested, look over the last post under the "Casual Campaigns" thread for a list of campaign-friendly FMs - and if you are interested in the entire package, download vers. 6.0 and 6.5 of the FM mod pack over on CombatAce (links to the CombatAce downloads can be found under the thread here that's called "Ver. 6.5 Addon FM Pack").

EDIT: I recommend leaving the "Aircraft stress damage" settings in JJJ's MultiMod at the default settings if using my FM mods. - I had them slightly increased (in the pic. provided) since I was at the time flying the stock FM for the MS Parasol.

Happy flying,
Von S smile2

Last edited by VonS; 01/05/21 11:04 PM. Reason: Added info.

~ For my various FM/AI/FPS/DM Mods. for First Eagles 2, WoFF, RoF & WoTR, and tips for FlightGear, recommended is to check over my CombatAce profile (https://combatace.com/profile/86760-vons/) and to click on the "About Me" tab while there. ~
#4550908 - 01/06/21 01:45 AM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: epower]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by epower
Excellent suggestions all.

Originally Posted by Raine

Oh hell, I had it in my mind that the news mod was rolled into a recent official patch. Good thing I haven't played 370+ hours without it these past 8 months...D'Oh!

Downloading now.

My News mod WAS rolled into the game quite a while ago. If you have the Platinum Edition you should have the NEWS mod already included. I don't believe the older Ultimate Edition has the mod included..

#4550910 - 01/06/21 01:51 AM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by LvAicha
As the title suggests, I'm starting to look into mods for this game with an emphasis on making it as true to life as possible. That in mind, does anyone have any recommendations? What are your must-have mods where realism is concerned?

Thanks and good day!

Realism comes more from your style of play, not so much from mods. Turn off all the visual aids (no TAC!), don't use the in-game map (use RAF Louvert's maps), no autopilot, and fly 'dead is dead'.

#4550954 - 01/06/21 01:06 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
Becker01 Offline
Becker01  Offline

That's not so easy because every pilot has an other priority for realism. The recommendations above are all good.
IMHO look at the mods-forum and check the mod-threads of the last 1 year. The most important mods for PE you should find, or the way to them.
(the mods from @xyouve need time and are not finished completely).
And you should look to Sandbaggers website.

Please take into account, that a new WOFF-version is on the way. And now nobody can say, which mod will be compatible with it.

Greetings!

Last edited by Becker01; 01/06/21 02:26 PM.
#4551072 - 01/06/21 11:24 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: 77_Scout]  
LvAicha Offline
LvAicha  Offline

Originally Posted by 77_Scout
]Realism comes more from your style of play, not so much from mods. Turn off all the visual aids (no TAC!), don't use the in-game map (use RAF Louvert's maps), no autopilot, and fly 'dead is dead'.

That's not precisely what I meant when I said I was looking for realism, though in fairness I probably should have elaborated a bit. What I'm looking for is more along the lines of flight and/or damage model corrections, mission generation improvements, AI behavior modifications, and so forth.

Thank you for the advice in any case! For the most part that's already how I play, though I didn't know about Louvert's maps until they were mentioned earlier in this thread. I definitely plan on grabbing those!

#4551073 - 01/06/21 11:34 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
LvAicha Offline
LvAicha  Offline

Thanks much to everyone who has responded so far. Looks like I'm going to have to check into just about everything that's been posted!

That said, if anyone has a recommendation that hasn't been mentioned yet then please do let me know!

#4551089 - 01/07/21 01:47 AM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Welcome! I'm a fellow who actually doesn't get to fly much now. The retirement countdown clock is ticking, though, and I'm trying to work my way back into the air. To be honest, I don't have any mods installed - I plan to, certainly. But I also have been trying to fly using only cockpit instruments - nothing on the screen - and using a map/area familiarization for navigation. Look back over your shoulder to try to fix what the field looks like for your return, pick out landmarks and such along the way... I don't know how much sim experience you have - you may be the Ace of all aces or a blundering n00b like me - but flying that way you'll get a fair idea of what it must've been like, except for the cold prop blast and castor oil...
I do use a TrackIR, which I consider indispensable, and I have a Saitek (now Logitech ) stick, throttle and rudder pedals, all of which seem to help me appreciate the situation, without my life actually being on the line! eek

Last edited by HumanDrone; 01/08/21 09:52 PM.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4551268 - 01/07/21 09:06 PM Re: Any suggestions on mods that add to the game's "realism?" [Re: LvAicha]  
samba_liten Offline
samba_liten  Offline

Cloud seven
To add to what was already said about the multimod, I recommend the flak mod section and the realistic fuel consumption as well.

Also, the historic mission types, combined with the mission editor allows you to fly more historical missions, including lone recon / spotter missions, and lone sorties in the eindekkers, etc.

MACHINE GUN FIRE: CAMBRIN by ROBERT GRAVES (September 25 1915)

The torn line wavers, breaks, and falls. 'Get up, come on!' the captain calls 'Get up, the Welsh, and on we go!' (Christ, that my lads should fail me so!) A dying boy grinned up and said: 'The whole damned company, sir; it's dead.' 'Come on! Cowards!' bawled the captain, then Fell killed, among his writhing men.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford