Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4550837 - 01/05/21 06:29 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
In grade 11 English. 1985, we analyzed song lyrics. Somebody brought Subdivisions in. I always think of that when I hear it.
For the record, I brought in Pink Floyd's Sheep. I was going to bring in Alice Cooper's Dead Babies just to screw with everyone, but chose not too.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4550838 - 01/05/21 06:31 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: WangoTango]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by WangoTango
In grade 11 English. 1985, we analyzed song lyrics. Somebody brought Subdivisions in. I always think of that when I hear it.
For the record, I brought in Pink Floyd's Sheep.

Did anyone bring in "Ticket to Ride" by the Beatles or "Squeeze Box" by The Who? That would have been interesting....

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4550839 - 01/05/21 06:40 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The only other 2 songs I remember were Run To The Hills - Iron Maiden. An someone brought in Rock You by Helix, hardly a lyrical master piece haha. Ricky from The Trailer Park Boys would have approved though.

#4550840 - 01/05/21 06:47 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: WangoTango]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
That song was written just an hour up the 400 highway. biggrin my favorite Rush song.
I saw them in 1984 at Maple Leaf Gardens. They sold it out 3 nights straight.

I worked in a small Company in the 80`sthat rented a Catalina water bomber that was based in Parry Sound, Ontario.
Very nice people and I wanted to take a trip over, but it was never to be. I changed job, and they lost the contract apparently.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4550841 - 01/05/21 06:49 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Parry Sound, the home of the great Bobby Orr.
First week of our honeymoon was spent at a cottage up there. 2nd week in Cancun.

#4550873 - 01/05/21 09:54 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It is a subdivision, .

I realize this may be cliche' but sorry, I couldn't resist:

Another good one is "Pleasant Valley Sunday", by The Monkees. I didn't understand it as a kid when it came out. But years later, as an adult, I got it.

"Rows of houses that are all the same, and no one seems to care."

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4550885 - 01/05/21 11:06 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gator sunning in my backyard.

[Linked Image]

Turkeys out the back window.

[Linked Image]

Otter and one of the herons.

[Linked Image]

Turkeys in the neighborhood.

[Linked Image]

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4550891 - 01/05/21 11:27 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
We had a young buck wandering around in the rut a few months back, trotted right down my street. Any real woods, I mean more than a 1/2 acre or so, is at least a couple of miles away, and it's only about 10 acres.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4550899 - 01/06/21 12:33 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
Allen Offline
Hotshot
Allen  Offline
Hotshot

Ohio USA
Some really nice views for some of you. Growing up, I thought I was going to be a Zoologist specializing in Herpetology -- I like the 'gator view.

My view ain't bad -- but it don't compare smile

PS As a kid, my bedroom was full of snakes -- and one gator along the way.

Last edited by Allen; 01/06/21 12:35 AM. Reason: PS

Sapphire Pulse RX7900XTX, 3 monitors = 23P (1080p) + SAMSUNG 32" Odyssey Neo G7 1000R curve (4K/2160p) + 23P (1080p), AMD R9-7950X (ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 420), 64GB RAM@6.0GHz, Gigabyte X670E AORUS MASTER MB, (4x M.2 SSD + 2xSSD + 2xHD) = ~52TB storage, EVGA 1600W PSU, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower, ASUS RT-AX89X 6000Mbps WiFi router, VKB Gladiator WW2 Stick, Pedals, G.Skill RGB KB, AORUS Thunder M7 Mouse, W11 Pro
#4550907 - 01/06/21 01:41 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

Did anyone bring in "Ticket to Ride" by the Beatles or "Squeeze Box" by The Who? That would have been interesting....

Squeeze Box would have been a laugh. But why Ticket To Ride ? Am I missing something ? Isn't his girl just leaving him ?
Other songs I was tempted to bring in were I Love The Dead or Cold Ethyl by Alice Cooper.(big Alice fan as a teen)
She was an older lady, so I didn't want to make her too uncomfortable. But I was tempted at the time.

#4550913 - 01/06/21 02:57 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: WangoTango]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Squeeze Box would have been a laugh. But why Ticket To Ride ? Am I missing something ? Isn't his girl just leaving him ?

Yes and no. In that order. Very funny story.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4550921 - 01/06/21 04:12 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

But why Ticket To Ride ? Am I missing something ? Isn't his girl just leaving him ?

"Ticket to Ride" was a slang term made up by John Lennon for the official "clean bill of health" a prostitute would get in Germany which would allow her to continue her profession legally. Apparently John Lennon used those services quite a bit while the Beatles were playing gigs in Hamburg.

Just looked up this info online:

"Don Short, who traveled with the Beatles in the '60s, recalled that John coined the phrase "Ticket to Ride" for another meaning - The girls who worked the streets in Hamburg had to have a clean bill of health and the authorities would give them a card saying they were clean. "

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/06/21 04:34 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4550923 - 01/06/21 04:19 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada

But why Ticket To Ride ? Am I missing something ? Isn't his girl just leaving him ?

"Ticket to Ride" was a slang term made up by John Lennon for the official "clean bill of health" a prostitute would get in Germany which would allow her to continue her profession legally. Apparently John Lennon used those services quite bit while the Beatles were playing gigs in Hamburg.

Just looked up this info online:

"Don Short, who traveled with the Beatles in the '60s, recalled that John coined the phrase "Ticket to Ride" for another meaning - The girls who worked the streets in Hamburg had to have a clean bill of health and the authorities would give them a card saying they were clean. "

Ironically I saw this explained on Twitter today. Crazy.

#4550930 - 01/06/21 08:12 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
Wigean Offline
Wigean  Offline

Oslo
@OG.
Nice pics. I can almost hear the gobble gobble sound when looking at the turkeys in your garden..
I guess in your climate it is a requirement to have an insect net.
We have herons here in Norway too, but they are so shy it`s almost impossible to come close enough to take a picture.
No gators though. :-)
But we have wolfs. For some reason the "green" politicans want to place more wolfs in places where there have never been wolves before.
In a couple of years time I might have to carry a knife when taking a hike in the forest.
Looks like a very nice area you live in.

“We are still in the age of legends. You and I will not enter the promised land. We who have begun always perish before Jericho falls.”
#4550944 - 01/06/21 11:40 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Well, I think OG has to win this thread smile but for what it's worth, out of my window I see the valley that stretches from my home to the airport several miles away. The valley itself is the battleground for the Czech Republic's version of the battle of Hastings, the Battle of Bila Hora. Directly to my north I see the hill that is designated as the site of the battle, literally the highest point of the hill, but I know that the battle took place on the western slope of the hill, my view. Of course, it is a suburban area now, but still nice.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4550946 - 01/06/21 11:49 AM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: DM]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM
Well, I think OG has to win this thread smile but for what it's worth, out of my window I see the valley that stretches from my home to the airport several miles away. The valley itself is the battleground for the Czech Republic's version of the battle of Hastings, the Battle of Bila Hora. Directly to my north I see the hill that is designated as the site of the battle, literally the highest point of the hill, but I know that the battle took place on the western slope of the hill, my view. Of course, it is a suburban area now, but still nice.

Have you ever been to the Austerlitz battlefield site? Being a big history buff and fan of the Napoleonic era, I would like to check it out if I ever visit the Czech Republic.

#4550948 - 01/06/21 12:10 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Have you ever been to the Austerlitz battlefield site? Being a big history buff and fan of the Napoleonic era, I would like to check it out if I ever visit the Czech Republic.

I have not. I've been to that part of CZ (best man at a wedding) but I didn't check out any locations while I was there. There are about a billion castles in CZ, almost every sizeable hill has one, so wherever you go you'll find history here. It is after all the crossroads of Europe, lots of genetic diversity to keep the populace tall and handsome/pretty biggrin

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4550952 - 01/06/21 12:32 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: Wigean]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Wigean, the screen is just around the lanai in the back. Yes it is for insects, but also keeps leaves and other stuff from getting in the pool. It also works to filter out just a bit of sun so that lounging by the pool is more comfortable. Still allows the cool ocean breeze in the summer and helps keep a bubble of warmer air trapped in during the winter so the more delicate plants don’t get damaged by the frost.

[Linked Image]

Another benefit is it keeps the wildlife out of the pool. My wife and sister-in-law still laugh about when they were watching a red-tailed hawk in the trees when it swooped down, grabbed a frog, and landed up on one of the support beams. They were a bit horrified as it perched there, tearing the frog apart and eating it. The squirrels often run across the screens. You can see their small paw fingers in the gaps as they climb the sides. You can walk right up to them as they hang on the screen.

And being so near the coast, we have the most beautiful sunsets.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by oldgrognard; 01/06/21 12:50 PM.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4550967 - 01/06/21 02:36 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: DM]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Originally Posted by DM
Well, I think OG has to win this thread smile

Agreed

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4550977 - 01/06/21 03:35 PM Re: What do you see out of your window? [Re: vonBaur]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by vonBaur
Originally Posted by DM
Well, I think OG has to win this thread smile

Agreed

yep I wish I had a pool.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.