Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4550596 - 01/03/21 11:00 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: Chucky]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Chucky
banghead

Concur Chucky. I hate to say it but it seems the number of absolutely moronic threads on SimHQ keeps increasing as time goes on.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4550597 - 01/03/21 11:02 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman

I am a man of science and also a Christian.

A Christian who interprets the Book of Genesis literally or interprets it as allegory? That distinction makes a huge difference for any science vs. religion debate.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4550598 - 01/03/21 11:05 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

It's possible there are still unexplored worlds on our planet

No, no it's not. Why? There's a little something called GEOLOGY which has a mountain of evidence disproving such a notion. So go ahead and post as many links to fictional tv shows as you want and I'll go with my trusty Geology.

#4550600 - 01/03/21 11:30 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Depends on you call worlds PM. The oceans are largely unexplored.

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 01/03/21 11:30 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4550604 - 01/04/21 12:14 AM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

I am a man of science and also a Christian.

A Christian who interprets the Book of Genesis literally or interprets it as allegory? That distinction makes a huge difference for any science vs. religion debate.

As I said, I'm also a man of science.

I believe much of the Bible is allegory and metaphor to be interpreted--Genesis in particular. General and special relativity do a great job providing a foundation for some of this interpretation, as well as other concepts such as M-Theory.

Consider, for a moment, encountering an alien civilization who were primitives. You were on a starship, of course, capable of interstellar travel and other wonders. When you meet them, and tell them stories of your world or even their future, would you speak to them on your level, or would you speak on theirs? To do so would require heavy metaphor.

I don't believe in science vs. religion. I feel they complement each other.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/04/21 12:15 AM.
#4550607 - 01/04/21 01:01 AM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Offline
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by NoFlyBoy

It's possible there are still unexplored worlds on our planet

No, no it's not. Why? There's a little something called GEOLOGY which has a mountain of evidence disproving such a notion. So go ahead and post as many links to fictional tv shows as you want and I'll go with my trusty Geology.

We haven't been to the center of the world. I read a book by Jules Verne....

Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Depends on you call worlds PM. The oceans are largely unexplored.

No one knows what's in there. There may still be dinosaurs that survived. Atlantis or something similar may exist. All those UFO folks seen may come from the ocean like that Abyss movie.

#4550608 - 01/04/21 01:13 AM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Yep!

and Santa Claus is in charge of the whole thing! Except Atlantis of course. Jason Mamoa has taken that over in the name of Polynesia.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4550611 - 01/04/21 01:29 AM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I think NFB has raised the trolling level now to 11. Spinal Tap would be impressed.

#4550614 - 01/04/21 02:10 AM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I always thought this was a pretty good logical look at bringing religion into creation:

And I think it can apply to the origin of life, as well. Bringing in something supernatural is an extra step, and once brought in, it then should be held to the same standard. If supernatural forces are being brought in because some of the natural processes can't be explained or are unknown, then to accept the supernatural forces, they need to be explained, or they are just an extra unexplained step.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

#4550630 - 01/04/21 11:41 AM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

They can complement each other as long as the religion in question is not a fundamentalist version.

#4550654 - 01/04/21 04:07 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
FlyingToaster Offline
FlyingToaster  Offline

Scotland
Wasn't there a movie about nazis on dinosaurs living inside the Earth? Seems legit.

#4550658 - 01/04/21 04:19 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA

They can complement each other as long as the religion in question is not a fundamentalist version.

I think we both agree that literalism is a detriment.

The way I see the duality of these two concepts, is science provides the logical understanding, while religion provides insight into the unknown, speculation for theories, and moral and ethical underpinnings that science cannot address. Both concepts fill a void the other lacks. I watched a movie this weekend that coincidentally semi-addressed this, much to my surprise, which I'll mention in the movie thread. I did not expect that from the film at all, but, I never know what to expect when watching independent film.

Arthonon: Sagan was a true genius. He was also wise enough to proclaim he didn't know if there were a God or not, thus remained agnostic, instead of atheist like many of his peers. Isaac Asimov, one who was among the certain and decided, respected him immensely, and even admitted Sagan was smarter than he.

To those of us who know science in and out and more, but whom are also religious, we see an inherent beauty in how the Universe works, based on scientific concepts, laws, and even theory. We're okay with admitting we don't know everything, for we don't, and our Faith fills this void. But make no mistake, we unrelentingly crave knowledge and understanding. Science is our God-given tool to explore the unknown.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 01/04/21 04:19 PM.
#4550688 - 01/04/21 07:15 PM Re: Harvard professor says Aliens visited Earth [Re: NoFlyBoy]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Perhaps there are some answers to questions, and realities, that mankind does not have the ability to understand.
I'm betting on that. We are an obnoxious, flawed species. We know fook all.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.