Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4549359 - 12/22/20 01:16 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers **** [Re: Chuckles]  
Blind Faith Offline
Blind Faith  Offline

Québec
Thanks. I do have most of it, and getting the rest now.

I also have a pack of fixed textures by samovar6 that are a must have if you are using an Nvidia card at high res.

nvid0602.zip at 1.10MB you can have it if you want..

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4549399 - 12/22/20 01:44 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
Be my guest. My e-mail address is on my site.

#4549603 - 12/24/20 11:32 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Blind Faith]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Originally Posted by Blind Faith
You do need the GOG wrapper anyway because the game slows down to a crawl with Windows 10 limited directdraw support. If you like the game it is not that much of an expense considering it resurrects all the nice nods.

I installed to the new PC I am building with Windows 10 64 20H2 a Core I9 64G and RTX2070 super. it started with the fake CD iso running like sh** without HD and the wrapper but did start. My CD is tagged GS_122a

1. Make sure you run Autoplay as administrator (you may have to restart by hand)
2. do not install to a "program files 86" folder chose the name you want
3 skip directX installation and registering
4 Windows 10 should ask to install its cheap directdraw let it go through, it does not help but does not hurt that I know of

Good Luck!
P.S. using this method I installed most of my older games

Noted and Bookmarked for future reference. Many thanks.

#4549604 - 12/24/20 11:40 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Flyboy]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Originally Posted by Flyboy
Just a gentle reminder that my Gunship! website is online, where you can find most user-created mods including those from previous SimHQ Forum member samovar6 (who I can only assume has passed away as he was last active on here over 3 years ago and all personal communication between us ceased some time ago).

Flyboy's Gunship Site

It seems your assumption is likely correct, sadly.

Thanks for the site reminder, almost forgot it existed.

#4549705 - 12/25/20 03:59 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: HawkI]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Hi, Polak is reporting here. Greetings!

Indeed it is very sad to hear that some of the members of Gunship! flight community is no longer with us. Time waits for no man as the saying goes. RIP.

Recently, I have reinstalled M1TP1 and Gunship! and had some flying and tanking done on those two MPS famous combat simulators. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how well they were holding despite a significant stamp of time.
On modern machines and with large monitors they still look very decent and play pretty smooth. By looking simultaneously into both MPS simulations I have to admit that M1TP1 seems that it was a very ambitious project and its gameplay, manual, and suggestions of various battlefield tactics are really top-notch stuff and were interesting even by today's standards. On the other hand, it is rather noticeable that Gunship!, despite the fact, it was made a year or two later has been IMHO a tad dumbed down as a simulator and the true feeling of combat authenticity is not quite there. Despite better graphics, better terrain, and as a more modern title it falls a little short in comparison with M1TP2. However, this is not what I really wanted to talk about.

What I am really after is to ask if anyone has any remembrance (or better yet a copy of I believe Mr. Psyklick's) short article/paper about his considerably deep research and discovery of pretty amazing mechanics and smart AI behavior of various Ground Units found in Gunship!. This was something, as I remember (from this forum), rather surprising and amazing, especially considering the age and state of game development in general. Please give me a shout here if this rings the bell.

Thank you and out!

Last edited by Polak; 12/25/20 04:02 AM.
#4549748 - 12/25/20 06:26 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Polak]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Originally Posted by Polak
Hi, Polak is reporting here. Greetings!

Indeed it is very sad to hear that some of the members of Gunship! flight community is no longer with us. Time waits for no man as the saying goes. RIP.

Recently, I have reinstalled M1TP1 and Gunship! and had some flying and tanking done on those two MPS famous combat simulators. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how well they were holding despite a significant stamp of time.
On modern machines and with large monitors they still look very decent and play pretty smooth. By looking simultaneously into both MPS simulations I have to admit that M1TP1 seems that it was a very ambitious project and its gameplay, manual, and suggestions of various battlefield tactics are really top-notch stuff and were interesting even by today's standards. On the other hand, it is rather noticeable that Gunship!, despite the fact, it was made a year or two later has been IMHO a tad dumbed down as a simulator and the true feeling of combat authenticity is not quite there. Despite better graphics, better terrain, and as a more modern title it falls a little short in comparison with M1TP2. However, this is not what I really wanted to talk about.

What I am really after is to ask if anyone has any remembrance (or better yet a copy of I believe Mr. Psyklick's) short article/paper about his considerably deep research and discovery of pretty amazing mechanics and smart AI behavior of various Ground Units found in Gunship!. This was something, as I remember (from this forum), rather surprising and amazing, especially considering the age and state of game development in general. Please give me a shout here if this rings the bell.

Thank you and out!

Hello Polak,

I seem to recall you were part of a group of active modders collaborating on an ambitious expansion pack project for Gunship! But it all seemed to fizzle out when the leader lost interest, and any further development was halted as people gradually moved on.

Psyklik took over the project and invited me to join him as a ‘guinea pig’, for want of a better word! To cut a fairly long story short, I have all of his work archived. I approached Flyboy, who very generously agreed to host it. There is a good chance that what you’re looking for is on Flyboy’s site.

Out of interest, what is your opinion on the possibility of porting Gunship! over to the M1TP engine?

#4549765 - 12/25/20 08:41 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: HawkI]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY

There is a good chance that what you’re looking for is on Flyboy’s site.

I have checked most of the Gunship! related materials on Flyboy's site but I did not come across that document.

Out of interest, what is your opinion on the possibility of porting Gunship! over to the M1TP engine?

Interesting, it would be really some fun combat simulator. I always thought that a greater chance of success would be to try port M1TP2to Gunship and this perhaps explains my interest in that article about AI of Ground units in Gunship!. But come to think maybe the other way round would be more feasible. Though sadly... if at all.

It is my strong opinion that all extraordinary and advanced implementations of gameplay and tactics in computer simulations should be ported to perhaps that sim where the modders have the utmost control of bringing them back to life. That includes SC, which makes in this case a Falcon4 the best and most promising candidate. And so it happens Falcon 4 is IMHO also the most stellar accomplishment of this famous developer and truly deserves to be someday becoming that "universal battlefield" which ingenious creator Gilman Louie had originally envisioned.

Last edited by Polak; 12/25/20 08:48 PM.
#4549809 - 12/26/20 04:26 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
HawkI - I don't remember you sending me an archive of stuff. I'll check my files and get back to you.

Polak - I'll see if I have what you're looking for and report back.

#4549820 - 12/26/20 05:42 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Flyboy]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Flyboy- Thank you and FYI I checked your entire site. Please look in other "ancient" places if possible.

A question to all: what patch or Gunship.exe recommended for the best performance and gameplay experience. I have patch with FNG2K's "display distant objects" object but it is rather choppy. Maybe some settings with DXWns would help?

#4549822 - 12/26/20 06:31 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Flyboy, Oops, you are correct! I think the package I sent you contained only the TOS WIP.

Polak, apologies for sending you on a wild goose chase! PM me your e-mail addy and I will send you the files, if I have them. Blind Faith shared a useful looking guide a few posts up, have you given that a try?

#4549828 - 12/26/20 07:28 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Blind Faith Offline
Blind Faith  Offline

Québec
Polak if you are on Windows 10 you need the GOG DXWrapper.. It is not legally downloadable. IT solves the major slowdown caused by the poor implementation of Directdraw for DX below 10.0.

https://www.gog.com/game/gunship

The wrapper is all that I kept from the 3$ purchase. I may look to see if there are some other fixes worth while later.

#4549829 - 12/26/20 07:28 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
@ Hawkl - PM sent .
@ Blind Find I try GOG but in my case because of being involved with some moding for Falcon BMS I have DX12 and must keep it. So I will try some other ways. Let you know. But my question then is notwithstanding the performance which patch of Gunship! is the top as far as gameplay improvements?

Last edited by Polak; 12/26/20 07:34 PM.
#4549830 - 12/26/20 07:37 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Blind Faith Offline
Blind Faith  Offline

Québec
The GOG solution makes your Gunship self contained. Once it is all setup and running you can keep a copy on any media of your choice to restore the desired state
I have the last official patch and a lot of tweaks and fixes you can find on Flyboy's site

Last edited by Blind Faith; 12/26/20 07:40 PM.
#4549838 - 12/26/20 10:09 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
HawkI - I haven't checked to see if I've got that stuff yet but if you still want me to host it then send it again and I'll add it to my site.

#4549863 - 12/27/20 09:46 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
I created a very simple mission of 1v1 tank platoon with me and my wingman babysitting them from above. Unfortunately, it appears that tanks do not engage with each other. They follow orders and formations but that is about it. I will try another different set of orders.

Still, the simulation runs like a charm on dgVoodoo2 and I have noticed some buggy platoon callsigns and messy in-game map "N". Need to refresh my skills in this game so RTFM for me. My 1st impression is that indeed It is quite an impressive piece of combat simulation and possibly way ahead of time especially in terms of hardware required vs. one available then.

Since nowadays we have a really good and powerful HW and so perhaps only now is the time to fully enjoy and explore those wonderful MPS games, this one in particular.

Last edited by Polak; 12/27/20 09:48 AM.
#4549879 - 12/27/20 03:06 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Flyboy Offline
Flyboy  Offline

England, UK
HawkI - I've just checked and the files I have for GS! that you sent me are:

Gunship Missions.zip (969 KB)
Pysklik's WIP.zip (30.2 MB)

Are these the ones you thought you'd sent me? Still want me to host them? If so I'll get to adding these to my site.

#4549883 - 12/27/20 04:15 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Flyboy]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
HawkI - I haven't checked to see if I've got that stuff yet but if you still want me to host it then send it again and I'll add it to my site.

Flyboy, I checked earlier and, Interestingly, everything is there except the content from Psyklik's website, which I believe is all that Polak is looking for.

Polak, check your messages

Sorry, Flyboy, I just seen the post you made prior to me posting this one!

Last edited by HawkI; 12/28/20 01:29 AM.
#4549912 - 12/27/20 09:52 PM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
Polak Offline
Hotshot
Polak  Offline
Hotshot

New York, NY
Is the ingame map "N" buggy or it is because of my moded exe? And the other question I have atm is: when you build a mission and then you want to delete one of the unit how you suppose to do it?

#4549920 - 12/28/20 01:23 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Chuckles]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
Yes, there is/was a bug in the 'N' map screen. Somebody came up with a workaround , but I don't think it was ever permanently fixed. I haven't used the mission builder for many years so my knowledge of that is rather sketchy these days. There may be some helpful Info in the document that I sent you..

Good luck!

#4549922 - 12/28/20 01:36 AM Re: Gunship! on modern computers [Re: Flyboy]  
HawkI Offline
HawkI  Offline

England
HawkI - I've just checked and the files I have for GS! that you sent me are:

Gunship Missions.zip (969 KB)
Pysklik's WIP.zip (30.2 MB)

Are these the ones you thought you'd sent me? Still want me to host them? If so I'll get to adding these to my site.

Yup. they're the ones! That would be great, many thanks for that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.