Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4548856 - 12/17/20 04:03 PM Phantom Brigade  
Billy Mitch Offline
Billy Mitch  Offline

Pensacola, Fl
I've been playing video games for a long time. In 1974 I first played "pong" with my roommate at a bar on University Ave. in Gainesville, Fl. Being an old "f" now, I don't much care about video games anymore, that is, until I read Jarhead's posts about PB on Groghead's computer gaming forum. I went for it, and so far this game is, to me, amazing. I'll try to give you a feel of the game with a description of the battle that I fought today:

I'm on about day 8 of the campaign, have four mechs rated from 2.5 to 3, and 4 pilots. My mobile base stumbled upon an "abandoned" research facility which is where this battle took place. Rated as "very hard" I nonetheless decided to deploy only my three highest rated mechs, a leader/scout, a brawler (shotgun & shield), and a sniper. We faced only two enemy mechs, but as it turned out, they were superior machines. Half way through the battle I had to withdraw my scout/leader because his weapons (& both arms) were blown off. The way that I was able to prevail points to the awesomeness of this game. I was able to use my brawler (after his shotty got destroyed) like a bowling ball, i.e. repeated melee attacks, which kept the opponent knocked down and unable to fight back. At the same time, I kept my sniper at optimum distance where he could pummel the enemy mech struggling to get back on its feet. This tactic took a few turns, but in the end I had completely destroyed one enemy mech, and the other was so crippled that the pilot was forced to eject as his mech limped down the street. I was even able to see this coming (via the games' ingenious prescience feature), so I just watched, no need to take another shot.

In my near 50 year video game playing history, this was a high point, simply outstanding.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4548861 - 12/17/20 05:15 PM Re: Phantom Brigade [Re: Billy Mitch]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Epic exclusive? Not on Steam. Nothing against Epic but I've stopped using them. But I did have a look at the game and one of the things I read was this

Cinematic spin on the turn-based genre • Predict enemy movements, orchestrate precisely timed countermeasures and watch the action unfold.

That makes it sound very much like how Combat Mission's WEGO system works. Each side plots moves and then it plays out over 1-minute long segments, then another orders round is done. Is that how PB works essentially?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4548883 - 12/17/20 10:46 PM Re: Phantom Brigade [Re: DBond]  
Billy Mitch Offline
Billy Mitch  Offline

Pensacola, Fl
I'm not sure about Combat Mission's WEGO system. I've played my share of Combat Mission releases, but it's been quite a while ago. PB's WEGO segments only last for between 5 & 10 seconds. During the interlude you can map out exactly how your units are going to move and attack, and you can see exactly how the enemy units move, and what actions they will take. It sounds like a built in cheat system, but it's so #%&*$# fun to plan your move and then see it play out, and ultimately it's still challenging, especially if you're going for minimal damage. Like I said above, I'm no spring chicken, and this game fits me perfectly, no button mashing here. Unfortunately, there's no play-back capability yet. Hopefully, that will be added. Check out some of the YouTube videos if you're interested. CohhCarnage did a series recently. As I recall, he liked it a lot.

#4556708 - 02/19/21 10:23 AM Re: Phantom Brigade [Re: Billy Mitch]  
Wodin Offline
Wodin  Offline

Liverpool
Due out on Steam..

STEAM LINK

Last edited by Wodin; 02/19/21 10:24 AM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.