Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4548316 - 12/13/20 04:23 AM SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver  
DRPJr Offline
DRPJr  Offline

Circleville, Ohio
Hello Folks,
I just got inspired to get my Flight Simulator gear reinstalled on my Tower. I reinstalled WOFF and updated to WOFF PE. I got my Thustmaster Rudder Pedals, my Logetech Throttle Quadrant, and my TrackIR version 5 out of the basement and plugged them up via a new 7 port USB hub. All the drivers were recognized in.Devices and Printers. So I have a real good start with my cockpit devices HOTAS

I lost my Sidewnder FFB joystick some where long ago so I purchased a SideWinder Force Feedback 2 off eBay packed up in the original box. To my knowledge, Microsoft halted support for the SideWinder family of joysticks years ago. In fact the install CD bundled in the box was for Windows 98.

I have researched the Internet exhaustively for a Windows 10 64bit installer with no success (No Joy) that would give me all the demos of the feedback features. I remember that the old FFB joystick I owned years ago came with an application that would put all the force feedback features through their paces. You could feel the Machine Gun fire through the joystick grip. There was even a Jack Hammer demo among others. I remember feeling the wheels rolling over the runway in WOFF with force feedback enabled. I want to get FFB working for sure.

Well, now the question... Has anybody been successful getting the SideWinder Force feedback 2 to successfully work completely in WOFF? Do you know anyone I might speak with for advice to get FFB joystick drivers for Windows 10. and the testing of the feedback features?

DRPJr
OlPaint01
dpainter@bright.net

Last edited by DRPJr; 12/13/20 04:27 AM.
#4548345 - 12/13/20 02:13 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
DRPJr

I have the same stick running on Win7 and I am currently running a multi-boot machine with Win10 on another SSD. I do have WOFF installed on both machines but I haven't yet tried my stick on Win 10. I will try it today and report back on the required drivers for you. Hang in there.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4548351 - 12/13/20 03:21 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hi DRPJr;

Ok, here is the details you need to make MSFFB2 work on Win7 and Win10. Keep in mind that the calibration process does not allow you to set the Force levels or the joystick buttons. You can set the buttons from within WOFF Workshop settings under "Remap Keys\Controllers".
This is a very brief description so if you need any further clarification just PM me.

First off, you need to use the Windows "Start" button and select "Devices and Printers".
Next right click your mouse on the "Force Feedback Joystick" controller, assuming you have it already installed, and select the "Game Controller Settings".
Now view the following screen shots that display the settings you should have configured for windows 10.

Click to view, step 1

click to view, step 2

Click to view, step 3

click to view step 4

Best Regards

(System_Specs)

#4548405 - 12/14/20 02:11 AM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
DRPJr Offline
DRPJr  Offline

Circleville, Ohio
Hey Robert, This is just the information I have scoured the Internet for. Since I could not find the Windows 10 drivers, I spoke with a Service Tech at JustAnswer website who told me that the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro was FFB. I even bought one on eBay to try. NO JOY with Logitech Joystick. Well I have spare joystick for my Laptop now.

I cannot wait to give your solution a chance on my Tower Gaming Computer.

OlPaint01
Doyle Painter

#4548427 - 12/14/20 10:09 AM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
DRPJr Offline
DRPJr  Offline

Circleville, Ohio
Hello Robert_Wiggins. I was successful getting Drivers and Printers to recognize the SideWinder FFB 2 and manipulate all the buttons, Joystick handle and Hat switch in Windows10 on my Tower. But I am still disappointed that there is no tactile sensations in the joystick handle that i remember in the Windows 98 SE drivers on my old computer. The joystick is even supposed to self-centered when you grab the stick. I am told there is a light sensor that is blocked by your hand that causes the movement of the joystick handle to the center position. Of course, without the proper Drivers, this is not happening. We used to have a bundled application that back then we could DEMO many of the game driven FFB feelings, for example, of the Machine Gun recoil and the aircraft wheels rolling across the runway or the feel of a Jack Hammer. One of the ways you could tell you were airborne was that the joystick quit vibrating in your hand. What Immersion!!! I remember that the Joystick was shipped with a Mechwarrior Game to put the FFB through it paces.

So far I have tested an actual Logitech Extreme 3D Pro that I bought off eBay was lacking of FFB. I've been told that Logitech G940 Flight Controller HOTAS is FFB. But I cannot find a refurbished model for less than $500 on eBay.

I'll bet the FFB effects are working on your Windows 7 partition with a working FFB demo application bundled with the Drivers. I am anxious to hear how it behaves under your Windows 10 partition.

Salute

OlPaint01
Doyle Painter

Last edited by DRPJr; 12/14/20 10:23 AM.
#4548447 - 12/14/20 01:29 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Hi DRPJr

I can tell you that the FFB actually functions on both Win7 and Win10.
Unfortunately the old demo software that allowed you to tune the forces does not funtion on these two OS's.

I can confirm that the stick shakes when taking off and landing in WOFF, and the stick forces are functional when banking in a turn for example. Unfortunately there is little you can do to adjust those forces. Some adjustment is possible by making custom changes to the flight model for each aircraft but if you decide to try doing that, I recommend you doing it with a JSGME mod so that if you screw up, you can easily remove the mod with no permanent damage to the original flight model files. I have done this in the past.

Don't forget to turn on FFB in the woff workshop otherwise you won't get any FFB on the stick.

Best Regards

(System_Specs)

#4548469 - 12/14/20 03:56 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
DRPJr Offline
DRPJr  Offline

Circleville, Ohio
Hi Robert_Wiggins.

I will give SideWinder FFB 2 a try inside of WOFF. I have already selected Force Feedback in the settings screen of WOFF PE.

I am curious...does the joystick handle re-center when the WOFF game loads. I saw a YouTube video that shows that the Joysitck will self center when you cover a light sensor in the Joystick handle by gripping it with your hand. Does this happen for your setup? Right now my Joystick is a "loosey goosey" with no resistance to a push and pull for up and down and side to side of the handle.

Salute

OlPaint01
Doyle Painter

Last edited by DRPJr; 12/14/20 03:57 PM.
#4548484 - 12/14/20 05:01 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
DRPJr

In response to your questions I have FFB working in WOFF PE and it does centre at WOFF startup.

You didn't indicate whether you applied my suggestions about drivers so I don't know if your lack of FFB was before or after having done my suggestions.

(System_Specs)

#4548501 - 12/14/20 07:16 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
DRPJr Offline
DRPJr  Offline

Circleville, Ohio
Hi Robert_Wiggins

I have successfully got SideWinder FFB 2 recognized in Drivers and Printers following your instructions, I can calibrate all the Buttons, the Joystick position, and the Hat Switch with no Issues in the Divices and Printers/Game Controller Settings/Properties.. I have yet to run WOFF PE with the FFB joystick attached. I have been playing WOFF PE with my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro plugged in with No FFB. I remember that the Game Play Key Assignments must be set in the game for my Rudder Pedals, my Throttle Quadrant, and my FFB joystick to respond. That still needs to be done.

Is it possible to get the Windows 98 CD installer to load the SideWinder Calibration/Demo application bundled on the Windows 98 installer CD by telling Windows to disregard the Operating System requirement when running the Windows 98 installer CD? Is it possible that this application is on that CD ready to be installed and used?

Sauté

OlPaintt01
DRPJr

#4548509 - 12/14/20 08:22 PM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
I can only say tha I have tried to load the calibration software and have not been successful. I keep looking occasionally on the internet to see if any programmers have come up with a new piece of software to provide the calibration. In particular the only calibratuon we need is to enable the ability to adjust the force levels.

Hope that helps

(System_Specs)

#4548570 - 12/15/20 10:57 AM Re: SideWinder Force Feedback 2 Win 10 Driver [Re: DRPJr]  
DRPJr Offline
DRPJr  Offline

Circleville, Ohio
Hello Robert_Wiggins
I have been following a thread in the IL-2 Strumovik forum about Joystick problems "Joystick not Recognized in Game" ( https://steamcommunity.com/app/307960/discussions/0/1700542332324872903/?ctp=3)
I was looking for some more helpful hints..

Still hunting for a Calibration App, as you are, that will allow adjusting the Joystick responses/force levels and dead zone. Also I wish we could improve the handle centering force to me it is very weak.

So much for now. Thanks for your expert assistance. I am now successfully getting FFB in the WOFF PE game with SideWinder 2.

Salute

Olpaint01
DROJr

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM